HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11/13/09 - Leafs @ Chicago - 3-2 LOSS

Old
11-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Yorgeez

vCash: 500
I thought Poni took a really dumb penalty on the goalie interference which lead to the third goal, and at 2-0 you can't give the Blackhawks a pp, ya we still got screwed on that no goal though. I thought Kessel looked fantastic.

Yorgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Makaveli

Kessel-Pavelski-Kane

Makaveli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:26 AM
ju5tbringit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
How did he masterfully set the first one up?

Even better; how many primary assists does Stajan have in his career compared to secondary? I'd love to see that stat.
It's refreshing to see people in this thread recognizing Stajan for what he is, and not mention his fluke 40 assists, 55pts, and so-called "playmaking" ability.

I posted in another thread but Stajan lead the entire NHL last year in 2nd assists 5 on 5...

I also love Wilson and Burke's accountability. You know, after Stajan ices the puck, which leads to Schenn's horrendous turnover, somehow he gets promoted to the first line.... Not to mention hogging the stat sheet with 2 assists after having yet another soft and horrible game.

ju5tbringit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:39 AM
LTL

Excellent game by Toskala and his first solid back to back (2 games in a row) performance in a while. Finally. Now lets fix that defence.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Poggemon Destiny*

Kessel Needs Savard

I should've listened to all those know-it-alls. Boy was I ever wrong. It's so obvious Kessel needs Savard out there. He's failed to register a hat trick so far and it's clear the Blackhawks are a crappy non-playoff team since Kessel has 50% of his goals against them. Mitchell and Stajan can only do so much with this bum. Subjective stats 4 lyfe!!!11!!!

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju5tbringit View Post
It's refreshing to see people in this thread recognizing Stajan for what he is, and not mention his fluke 40 assists, 55pts, and so-called "playmaking" ability.

I posted in another thread but Stajan lead the entire NHL last year in 2nd assists 5 on 5...

I also love Wilson and Burke's accountability. You know, after Stajan ices the puck, which leads to Schenn's horrendous turnover, somehow he gets promoted to the first line.... Not to mention hogging the stat sheet with 2 assists after having yet another soft and horrible game.
That was a horrendous horrendous play. Last two games Schenn let up goals by either a TO or soft play and someone who does not know hockey would blame it all on Schenn yet fails to see real hockey and how he was gassed and shouldn't have been on (proper play) or should'nt have been tired (via timeout). Another play Stajan was so lazy getting out of zone and caused an offside, which made me sick...but then again Mitchell is a 4th liner and played like crap as well.

Old
11-14-2009, 12:57 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggemon Destiny View Post
I should've listened to all those know-it-alls. Boy was I ever wrong. It's so obvious Kessel needs Savard out there. He's failed to register a hat trick so far and it's clear the Blackhawks are a crappy non-playoff team since Kessel has 50% of his goals against them. Mitchell and Stajan can only do so much with this bum. Subjective stats 4 lyfe!!!11!!!
Kessel needs any top six playmaking center. We have 0 in that department.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scramble View Post
Kessel seemed to get going once Wilson replaced Mitchell with Stajan. What's with all the hate?
They're both 3rd/4th liners. Not their fault they play on the 1st line at times but they fail to do even simple hockey plays as well.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Kessel needs any top six playmaking center. We have 0 in that department.
I was being sarcastic. Just to clarify, my point is Kessel is a great player who doesn't need gift wrapped passes to score goals.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Snipeshow

Kessel is the ****ing man.

That was a great trade, all the naysayers will realize it in 5 years when Boston ends up with plugs and we're sitting here with a 40g 80p+ sniper.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:33 AM
LTL

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. Just to clarify, my point is Kessel is a great player who doesn't need gift wrapped passes to score goals.
I'm agreeing with your post.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:45 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju5tbringit View Post
Is this meant to be a bad stat? Cause to me it says, his teams score goals when he is on the ice 5:5. I could care less who scores, or gets a 1st or 2nd assist.

His team scores while he is on the ice. That's a good thing.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:57 AM
ThankYouKessel81

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!TML97!! View Post
It has only been one game but I miss Komisarek.
I second that..Hopefully Gunnerson is awesome for us.

ThankYouKessel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:47 AM
NiL8r87

As I thought, Kessel doesn't need Savard at all. His highlight video from last year proved it, and now his performance in this game has proved it as well.

The guy simply creates his own goals.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Again, isn't that the entire argument about Kessel needing Savard?

So if Stajan played the entire year with Savard would he have more than the 40 assists he had last season? Could he get 63 assists if he was Kessel's main set up man?
The whole Kessel/Savard discussion has descended into bizarre binaries. It's not a question of "either/or". I'm not saying you're guilty of this ULF, just commenting on the way I see this conversation going.

Kessel is good enough to get goals from his own efforts. The two last night are a perfect example of the kind of gamebreaking skill that Kessel has. His shot is top-drawer; good enough to make something from nothing. His shooting ability is - and I say this without hesitation - amongst the best in the game.

But, if we look at the goal he scored against Minnesota, we see how playmakers and players with vision can make Kessel even more lethal. Finger's pass was perfect, allowing Kessel to hit the zone at full speed and flat-foot the defender. Kessel is often on the move into dangerous areas, slipping in and out of seams in the coverage. Savard was able to get the puck to him in some of those seams, upping Phil's shooting percentage in the process.

Kessel is a great talent, and will get lots of points on his own. However, having players with the vision to get him the puck in good places could make him absolutely dominant. I'm sure that one of Burke's primary priorities is to find/develop a center who can match Kessel's skillset. A player like Kadri is intriguing, because not only does he have great vision and passing ability, but his shooting keeps defenses honest. They can't play him to pass all the time, or he'll take the shot himself. I'm intrigued to see how he develops, because he's just the kind of player that could bring even more out of Kessel.

Last edited by Courage*: 11-14-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Polk High

I'm curious as to whether the Leafs play in the first two periods was indicative of their lack of confidence in front of Vesa Toskala. As the game went on and Toskala kept them in the game the entire team played better, opening up the ice surface with some nice passing. They played great in the third but I guess it was too little to late.

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:11 AM
BlueForever

This game should have at least been a tie. We were robbed by instant replay, Huet's glove (back of it) was clearly in the net behind the goal line. The puck hit the back of his glove and when Stempniak pulled his stick out he took the puck with him. That being said, the Leafs started to play too late. But overall a good road game.

As for Toskala, he played a great game. But I have to wonder if the Monster was in net would the 2 deflections have gone in??? With Monster being a larger goalie, it means larger/longer pads. The Kulemin deflection just missed Toskala's pad. With the Monster in net it would have hit his pad. The 3 goal which went over Toskala's shoulder on a deflection may have been stopped also just because of how much taller the Monster is in the butterfly. I know this is all hindsight, but we will never know if the Monster makes the saves Toskala did on the breakaways and other good saves.

All in all, Toskala played well. If Toronto is smart they ride him a bit to bring up his value. Detroit or someone will come calling if he plays games like this. But I think the Monster is in net tonight.

BlueForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:39 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
That was a horrendous horrendous play. Last two games Schenn let up goals by either a TO or soft play and someone who does not know hockey would blame it all on Schenn yet fails to see real hockey and how he was gassed and shouldn't have been on (proper play) or should'nt have been tired (via timeout). Another play Stajan was so lazy getting out of zone and caused an offside, which made me sick...but then again Mitchell is a 4th liner and played like crap as well.
Someone that knows hockey would also mention the play started with Schenn and Exelby allowing two hawks players to slip behind them. XLB was able to cut his off, while Schenn had his man pull away. That man, then got control of the puck downlow (because of the gap Schenn created) and they controlled the puck. Then Primeau got the puck just inside the blueline and was stripped on an easy chip-out play. Then, the third time we should've gotten the puck out, it went to Stajan, who was limited in his ability to cross the red line due to the Hawks pressure and knowing this was the Leafs 4th line, made a soft dump against the boards that started rolling on him and went all the way down because of it. Didn't Stajan also win the draw back to the d-men on the play as well, which should've been an easy out?

Schenn had time and space behind the net, waited too long, put the puck into the middle of the ice where Kane was able to gain control in a prime scoring area. He should've been moving to the outside to flip it out to center or make an outlet pass. Just a brutal play on his behalf. Sometimes when you're slow, your mind stops working, it looks like that was the case with Schenn on the play. Mix that with his average puck skills and terrible acceleration and it was clearly his error.

Had Stajan hammered it down the ice, I'd agree that it was a screw-up, but he made a soft dump that wouldn't have gone for icing had it not hopped up on it's side.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Tinalera

Just wanted to own up, I thought Tosk would have gotten the win last night, on the other hand, it sounds like he played solid, and gave some confidence in the third. It wasn't a blow out, and Toronto almost came back(I haven't seen the replay, but some say it should have been tied on a called back goal).

I do think Gust gets the start tonight, and build on the near come back, with the knowledge that the team trusts Gust from the outset. We'll see how Tosk does in the next few games.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:48 AM
NewFang

Kabs and White also had poor games. Kessel's goals were nice, but he gave the puck away many times again (trend?)

NewFang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:54 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Kaberle looked terrible last night.

The rest seemed about the same as most nights. Kessell the most dangerous, Blake the fardest working.

Schenn needs to sit tonight, change his perspective.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:57 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Kaberle looked terrible last night.

The rest seemed about the same as most nights. Kessell the most dangerous, Blake the fardest working.

Schenn needs to sit tonight, change his perspective.
Don't want his confidence to be completely ruined, he is still just a sophomore who is still learning. Every young player is going to go through the bumps and all.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
Kabs and White also had poor games. Kessel's goals were nice, but he gave the puck away many times again (trend?)
Funny, the stats sheet has him with 0 giveaways.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Kane-Kesler-Kessel

BTW, Wilson said in his post game that Gunnarsson is definitely in for tomorrow's game.
No EX I'm guessing.

Drop The Mits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:15 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
The whole Kessel/Savard discussion has descended into bizarre binaries. It's not a question of "either/or". I'm not saying you're guilty of this ULF, just commenting on the way I see this conversation going.
Obviously, it is bizarre it was about denigrating the Leafs.

But we should also be careful about setting Savard up as more than he is based on getting over 60 assists per year the last little while.

Savard has scored 28, 22, 15, 25 goals the past 4 seasons, but still ended up with 97, 96, 78, 88 points.

I do like the way he plays, but I'm not sold on someone who is so dependent on assists to make a living in the deep end.

Same reason I wasn't high on Nagy a couple years back when everyone was all over themselves to pick him up.

Savard is a good player, I just don't see him in the elite without some true snipers on his team.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote