HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well that didn't work

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2009, 09:42 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Well that didn't work

It looks like the strategy of letting all your free agents walk, then signing a bunch more free agents and trading one of your top prospects has fallen a little short.

A healthy Markov would have helped but let's be serious... this team needs a lot more than Markov.

Maybe Gainey will try the strategy of letting free agents walk one more time... I can almost see Plekanec packing his bags. Maybe there is another good prospect we can trade as well.

The last two years have been a colossal failure for a team that was fairly close to becoming a contender.

What's our next move??

Old
11-15-2009, 09:46 AM
BeastScottThornton*

Next move? Probably trade our first rounder for Tom Poti.

Old
11-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

panic much?

there's still time... see l'Impact de Montréal...

Old
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Woland

I don't think they were expecting A. Kost , Lapierre and Tender to each only have 1 goal and each be avg. -5.

I don't think they were expecting to lose 3 def. long term ( that's half the def squad) in the first 15 games

I think thew were expecting more out of the rookies Pacioretty and D'Agostini.

Apart for Pleks and Hammer, I believe it's the players who were here last year who have not steeped it up.

Old
11-15-2009, 09:56 AM
le_sean

Did you already forget about the team last year? The one that put in an effort maybe one out of every three games. Last night aside this team actually competes. The one thing that needs to change is the non-existent secondary scoring. Bob probably believed Andrei would take it to the next level and his brother too. Clearly he needs to find a solution.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:02 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Did you already forget about the team last year? The one that put in an effort maybe one out of every three games. Last night aside this team actually competes. The one thing that needs to change is the non-existent secondary scoring. Bob probably believed Andrei would take it to the next level and his brother too. Clearly he needs to find a solution.
This team competes, but the results of that are far worse than last year - so what good is it? None.
Stuck with the worst contract in the league for the next 5 years now.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:06 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Get rid of fans like you

The team is a failure so fans are pissed about it, that is natural. The only people that aren't pissed are the ones that don't care about the team.

If your kid fails school and you get pissed off at him or her about it, does that make you less of a parent?

The logic people like you spew on here is pathetic.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:06 AM
BeastScottThornton*

Our only chance/option to solve this internally is to put the K brothers on the second line with Pleks.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
A healthy Markov would have helped but let's be serious... this team needs a lot more than Markov.
I don't think we do. The team that Gainey let walk was made up of highly skilled players who couldn't get the job done without Markov. His chosen replacements are all players who complement what Markov brings to our team. Spacek was brought in so that Markov would have a shooter on the PP, Gill for that large body to clear the net on the PK, while the forwards are all perfect for receiving and launching a counterattack from one of Markov's passes. All three of our top forwards are able to carry the puck into the opposing zone (where only Kovalev was really able last year) which is especially important in the case of Gomez, also the two wingers are great at getting shots off so the two options more than replaces Kovalev's rocket. Obviously some were brought in for depth (Mara, Moen) but the most important acquisitions were all players that would both feed off what Markov does as well as add to his game.

so the way I see it, if the team can go 9-11 without its keystone... we'll be something special once he comes back.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:17 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Do you remember the Pens last year without Gonchar? They were out of the playoff picture at some point...

Markov > Gonchar

Old
11-15-2009, 10:18 AM
shutehinside

I love the token "blow up the team" thread after a loss.

This is not a Stanley Cup team but missing half your regular defence, your best player, top line winger and severely under acheiving players (Lats, Lapierre, Kosty I'm looking at you) is not condusive to winning. All that being said, we're still hovering around the .500 mark. Once these factors shift we'll be much better and competitive.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Do you remember the Pens last year without Gonchar? They were out of the playoff picture at some point...

Markov > Gonchar

Do YOU remember the Pens, last year, this year, at all?

Crosby, Malkin > Gomez, Gionta

Old
11-15-2009, 10:27 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Stuck with the worst contract in the league for the next 5 years now.
No, thank God, we aren't since one of the Tampa Bay owners vetoed the big trade.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post

His point is that Gonchar is/was such a key part of their team and without him even though they had so much talent they were still out of the playoffs when he was hurt.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brisebois View Post
I don't think we do. The team that Gainey let walk was made up of highly skilled players who couldn't get the job done without Markov. His chosen replacements are all players who complement what Markov brings to our team. Spacek was brought in so that Markov would have a shooter on the PP, Gill for that large body to clear the net on the PK, while the forwards are all perfect for receiving and launching a counterattack from one of Markov's passes. All three of our top forwards are able to carry the puck into the opposing zone (where only Kovalev was really able last year) which is especially important in the case of Gomez, also the two wingers are great at getting shots off so the two options more than replaces Kovalev's rocket. Obviously some were brought in for depth (Mara, Moen) but the most important acquisitions were all players that would both feed off what Markov does as well as add to his game.

so the way I see it, if the team can go 9-11 without its keystone... we'll be something special once he comes back.
That's my feeling too. His presence would stabilize the defense, and would give more chance to build upon solid bases. It won't happen as soon as he comes back, but given a little time, with a complete lineup the naysayers will be surprised to what this team can accomplish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post

Markov > Gonchar
Thank god there are still voices of reason on this board.

Although, I'm pretty sure Gainey would have seen how things went with Markov and would still probably have made other adjustments on the way, but nowhere near as what some people on this board say there is missing. Any team that has Markov in its lineup has a chance to win any given game. And in our case, its even more important as he is key to our offense, defense and transition and special teams. People highly underestimate what he brings to the game and the place he takes is too huge to be replaced by second and third pairing defensemen without the obvious shortcomings.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:30 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post

ya but people are hoping they can use the same theory in desperation lol

As if the only thing seperating us and the pens is 1 similiar dman ahhaha

Old
11-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
ya but people are hoping they can use the same theory in desperation lol

As if the only thing seperating us and the pens is 1 similiar dman ahhaha
Markov >> Gonchar

Old
11-15-2009, 10:33 AM
All-Star

You know, I swear I saw a thread exactly like this one in the recent past. Does one of these really need to be opened after every loss? Are you guys even bringing up new arguments?

Old
11-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
We have enough whiny threads here talking about the same issues.

- Ken Dryden
Closed Thread