HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with Sullivan?

Old
11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
BruinsCupNow

vCash: 500
What's with Sullivan?

Hi....

Bruins fan here. I'm just hoping Predators fans can explain to me what's wrong with Steve Sullivan?

Whenever I catch a few minutes of a Preds game on TV, it seems like he's flying around just as he always has. But when I see the boxscore in the morning, he is nowhere to be seen.

Has the guy lost it? Is he out of favour with the coach? What the heck is going on?

(In case you're wondering: no I don't have him in a pool. I just think he's a very good player, and I don't understand why he's doing so poorly this season).

--BCN

BruinsCupNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Trying to do too much, I think. He's playing better as of late, and with the top line finally healthy, I think you'll see things turn around for him.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
To be honest, I'll oversimplify my feelings on why Sullivan has been invisible...

When he signed his extension he said that he wants to play for a couple more years after his current contract (2 years) expires. In order to do so, he has to stay healthy. He is doing everything in his power to do just that and it is leading to turnover after turnover.

Sullivan refuses to battle for loose pucks, shies away from contact everywhere on the ice, and doesn't have any desire to take the puck to the net if there is a defenseman anywhere in sight. Additionally, he blasts out of the zone whenever our defensemen look like they are about to gain possession of the puck and kills us there as well with several keep-ins by the opposing D who quickly see this pattern and step up to hold the blueline.

Sully is playing like a figure skater out there and personally has been my biggest disappointment this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
lstcyr

Or the line he's used to playing on has not been together all year.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Or the line he's used to playing on has not been together all year.
So he's forgiven because he can't play without certain linemates? A player of his caliber should honestly be making linemates around him better, not the other way around...

Old
11-13-2009, 02:19 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
totally agreed.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I wouldn't say he completely refuses to shy away from physical play. Last night for example, he got in Perron's face in front of Rinne, and I remember him taking down Polak hard into the boards while battling for the puck. But yeah, for the most part he avoids any situation that might hurt him. I don't really have a problem with that.

Spot on about trying to do too much though. He doesn't realize that he is not the same Sullivan as 3 years ago, but he tries to play like he is. I want to see him making safer, less fancy plays.

Sullivan looks different though, from the glory days. He has lost a step in his speed, and IMO, doesn't have an NHL shot anymore. I mean, his shot wasn't great to begin with. But now, he shoots like a kid in juniors.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:55 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I wouldn't say he completely refuses to shy away from physical play.
That's a funny sentence

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Seth Lake

FWIW, to my points regarding Sullivan not going to the net and avoiding contact at all costs...

His first goal Saturday night happened because he drove the net and followed his shot to pickup and promptly bury the rebound. Sully was so aggressive because Dumont sprung him behind the defense and there was no one to contend with besides the goalie.

His second goal was another example of him going to the net and picking up the rebound of Weber's bomb. Down 2 men, Sully went to a seam in the defense and was able to corral a loose puck and bury it behind Price.

If he would simply start going to the net more often, even if it is only when/where he can find a quiet area or a seam in the defense, he would be much more successful...

Old
11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
FWIW, to my points regarding Sullivan not going to the net and avoiding contact at all costs...

His first goal Saturday night happened because he drove the net and followed his shot to pickup and promptly bury the rebound. Sully was so aggressive because Dumont sprung him behind the defense and there was no one to contend with besides the goalie.

His second goal was another example of him going to the net and picking up the rebound of Weber's bomb. Down 2 men, Sully went to a seam in the defense and was able to corral a loose puck and bury it behind Price.

If he would simply start going to the net more often, even if it is only when/where he can find a quiet area or a seam in the defense, he would be much more successful...
Didn't see the game but on the highlights they showed a phenominal stop from Price on Sullivan when the Preds were on the PP. Dumont fed the puck across the ice right to Sullivan down low and Price just through his leg over in the hopes of stopping the shot. If Sullivan had gotten more elevation on that shot, it'd be a third goal where he was down low with no one to contend with.

Just sharing an observation.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29 View Post
Didn't see the game but on the highlights they showed a phenominal stop from Price on Sullivan when the Preds were on the PP. Dumont fed the puck across the ice right to Sullivan down low and Price just through his leg over in the hopes of stopping the shot. If Sullivan had gotten more elevation on that shot, it'd be a third goal where he was down low with no one to contend with.

Just sharing an observation.
No, definitely it happened right in front of me and Sully will be the first to admit that. I initially thought the play would go to review (I sit in 332, so I was looking from behind Price's pad and couldn't tell where he stopped the puck because part of his pad was behind the goal line), but the team immediately lined up for the next faceoff and never questioned the call.

I think Sully would be the first to tell you he should have had a hat trick Saturday night...