HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Emery?

Old
11-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Pierrot

vCash: 500
Quote:
He is still worth a first round pick in the 18-30 range. I mean even Havlat, Mr. ALWAYS out of the line-up, got the Sens a decent return.
Totally agree, he still has a decent value.
There will be always a team in need of a 2 way 40 goals player that is going to give up some good assets to get him even with his salary.
Look,Minny signed havlat for 5 million dollars so there will be someone who will be glad to take his salary imo...
Gomez sucked big time with the rangers and montreal were glad to bring him there with his **** salary..

But i prefer to keep gags and let a guy like coburn walks away... we have plenty of D ready to step up .
Pronger Carle
Timo Parent
Okt Syvret/bartulis/boudron
It's still a god damn D group

Last edited by Pierrot: 11-14-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrot View Post
Totally agree, he still has a decent value.
There will be always a team in need of a 2 way 40 goals player that is going to give up some good assets to get him even with his salary.
Look,Minny signed havlat for 5 million dollars so there will be someone who will be glad to take his salary imo...
Gomez sucked big time with the rangers and montreal were glad to bring him there with his **** salary..

But i prefer to keep gags and let a guy like coburn walks away... we have plenty of D ready to step up .
Pronger Carle
Timo Parent
Okt Syvret/bartulis/boudron
It's still a god damn D group
Im not ready to trust Parent until he stops getting injured. I like the kid, but he needs to stop having injuries before we start getting rid of healthy players hoping he can play close to a full season. He has top 4 potential but always getting injured makes me more worried.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Pierrot

Quote:
Im not ready to trust Parent until he stops getting injured
steroïds? metal bones? drugs?

Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
That won't happen. Those players aren't going to allow themselves to be traded from a Cup contender to one of the dregs of the league (other contenders don't have much more cap space than we do.)

If there is a move, it's going to be done in the offseason. I'm guessing that it would be easier to move Gags since Montreal would likely take him on and his statements/actions in the last year or two make it seem like he's pretty disgruntled with the Flyers medical staff.
I don't know about that. I mean teams like San Jose, Detroit, and Pittsburgh are right up against the cap, but you look at teams like LA, Dallas, Montreal, and Colorado have plenty of cap space. I don't know if those teams are in a position to win a Cup this year, but they are moving in the right direction. All of those teams have a shot at making the playoffs and LA could do some damage if it makes it there. I could see Gagne waiving his NTC to Montreal or LA. Briere I don't think would waive his, but you never know. Anything can happen.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Heh, there aren't many openings for the #1 job around the league. One that stands out at me might be Florida...but would he want to play there? Let's hope he loves Philadelphia and continues to play the way he has and maybe Holmgren can get him a friendly contract that works both parties -- given each of their situations.
Same situation faced Biron last year. Not many positions around the league and not a lot of cap space, either. Biron wanted to get paid for the job he had done and so will Emery - at least to start.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:55 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know about that. I mean teams like San Jose, Detroit, and Pittsburgh are right up against the cap, but you look at teams like LA, Dallas, Montreal, and Colorado have plenty of cap space. I don't know if those teams are in a position to win a Cup this year, but they are moving in the right direction. All of those teams have a shot at making the playoffs and LA could do some damage if it makes it there. I could see Gagne waiving his NTC to Montreal or LA. Briere I don't think would waive his, but you never know. Anything can happen.
I think i'd have to agree with others that Gagne won't be traded. While he is a hell of a player, cap room is sacred these days. Unless LA decides they owe us a favor.

Though who knows, this is the league where Gaborik got signed for over 7 million.

Last edited by decadentia: 11-14-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Reading comprehension
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I think i'd have to agree with others that Gagne won't be traded. While he is a hell of a player, cap room is sacred these days. Unless LA decides they owe us a favor.

Though who knows, this is the league where Gaborik got signed for over 7 million.
Yeah I clearly didn't consider the NMC/NTC when I made my initial statements. I no longer think it is a likelihood that Briere or Gagne will be traded, but it is a possibility. I would hate to see either one of them in a different jersey, but my guess is if Homer is going to try to make some serious space, they are the ones who are going to get the axe.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 07:27 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
if you expect one of Gagne or Briere to be traded, you'll be dissapointed.

Gagne has no trade value at all and a NTC which he won't waive and Briere isn't going to waive his NMC
Tell that to Montreal

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
ArmchairGM

Offseason trade

To Montreal:
Gagne

To Philadelphia:
Latendresse
Moen
1st Round Draft Pick '11

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:48 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Offseason trade

To Montreal:
Gagne

To Philadelphia:
Latendresse
Moen
1st Round Draft Pick '11
Latendresse is RFA next year is he not?
Moen is making 1.5 mil, while I love his play, he have far too many players like him as it is.

1st Round pick, yes please. As for the rest, no thanks.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Sadly, it is.

Heh, there aren't many openings for the #1 job around the league. One that stands out at me might be Florida...but would he want to play there? Let's hope he loves Philadelphia and continues to play the way he has and maybe Holmgren can get him a friendly contract that works both parties -- given each of their situations.
I don't even think Florida will have a vacancy. They've got Alex Salak, who has looked phenomenal in the A so far, who they might very well just be content with at least holding down the job for a year or two as Markstrom continues his development.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:34 AM
DickSmehlik

Didn't Ottawa think a young Emery was the goalie of their future and sign him to a multi-year deal for a good chunk of change and then regret it the next year?

Weren't there people who were willing to lock up Biron to a sizeable contract following his first full season with this team?

You should maybe want to wait more than 20 games before you lock him up long term...just sayin'.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:41 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post
Didn't Ottawa think a young Emery was the goalie of their future and sign him to a multi-year deal for a good chunk of change and then regret it the next year?

Weren't there people who were willing to lock up Biron to a sizeable contract following his first full season with this team?

You should maybe want to wait more than 20 games before you lock him up long term...just sayin'.
This is completely true. I was never sold on Biron, always thought he had the potential to play pretty badly when he felt like like it. I don't get that sort of vibe from Emery from what everyone in the media and the organization has been saying...he seems to be constantly trying to improve himself and plays practices like they were games.

Have you noticed a shortage of 'soft' goals on Emery as well? I've only seen a handful this year that could be considered such, but I swear by this point last year Biron was like Swiss cheese. I'll still feel more comfortable even at this point in the season signing Emery than I was with Biron.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:06 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Offseason trade

To Montreal:
Gagne

To Philadelphia:
Latendresse
Moen
1st Round Draft Pick '11
this a joke?

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Offseason trade

To Montreal:
Gagne

To Philadelphia:
Latendresse
Moen
1st Round Draft Pick '11
This is horrible. At least ask for Kostitsyn bro's or Lapierre or Plekanec or Price or Halak.. Why would you ask for Latendresse & Moen?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:30 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Gagne for Halak and a 2nd and 3rd.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
This is horrible. At least ask for Kostitsyn bro's or Lapierre or Plekanec or Price or Halak.. Why would you ask for Latendresse & Moen?
Lapierre and, to an extent, S. Kostitsyn would be bad idea as well. Both have been playing horrible this year (the former is one of the most hated players on the team and the latter is in the AHL). On top of that Sergei has a bad attitude as well.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Lapierre and, to an extent, S. Kostitsyn would be bad idea as well. Both have been playing horrible this year (the former is one of the most hated players on the team and the latter is in the AHL). On top of that Sergei has a bad attitude as well.
Habs as a team are horrible this year.

I also mentioned Plekanec and Price and Halak not just Kostitsyn bros. Did not see it, did you? By the way Kostitsyn's bros have more value that Moem or Latendresse.

Old
11-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would not offer Emery a contract untill the offseason. If you offer a contract to him now that locks him up for 3-4 years, then he doesn't have to turn up to the rink and perform game in game out.

Without a contract at the moment, he pretty much has to take this team into the playoffs, and take us far. Otherwise he gets a backup job for a scrub NHL team for a maximum of 1 million.

It may cost us more to resign him in the summer. But if means that the flyers get to spend some quality time with lord stanleys cup, it's a price well worth paying IMO

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Habs as a team are horrible this year.

I also mentioned Plekanec and Price and Halak not just Kostitsyn bros. Did not see it, did you? By the way Kostitsyn's bros have more value that Moem or Latendresse.
Do you like to make stuff up? Because that's what you did.

I never said you didn't mention Plekanec or halak or Price. I never said the Kostitsyn brothers weren't more valuable then Moen and Latendresse. You're shoving words into my mouth.

Do you watch Habs games or check their GDTs/PGTs? It seems like every single game the Habs fans blame Lapierre and Latendresse for their lack of secondary scoring and, after watching them for a few games, I agree. Both of them were legit second/third line players last year, but they're both pretty bad this year. No offensive instincts at all.

Andrei has a bit of value, but Sergei has very little to no value right now.

Old
11-15-2009, 06:43 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Do you like to make stuff up? Because that's what you did.

I never said you didn't mention Plekanec or halak or Price. I never said the Kostitsyn brothers weren't more valuable then Moen and Latendresse. You're shoving words into my mouth.

Do you watch Habs games or check their GDTs/PGTs? It seems like every single game the Habs fans blame Lapierre and Latendresse for their lack of secondary scoring and, after watching them for a few games, I agree. Both of them were legit second/third line players last year, but they're both pretty bad this year. No offensive instincts at all.

Andrei has a bit of value, but Sergei has very little to no value right now.
Isn't that the best time to trade for someone? When their value is down you give up a lot less to get them.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
Have you noticed a shortage of 'soft' goals on Emery as well? I've only seen a handful this year that could be considered such, but I swear by this point last year Biron was like Swiss cheese. I'll still feel more comfortable even at this point in the season signing Emery than I was with Biron.
the difference is HUGE !

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Isn't that the best time to trade for someone? When their value is down you give up a lot less to get them.
Depends on the player(s) and the situation. In this instance, both Lapierre and Latendresse are probably tied for the worst players on the Habs roster. Their entire roster. Just check their GDTs and PGTs, in almost every single one Habs fans go out of their way to single out those two for not producing. Besides, we're pretty set at the forward position for a while. No need to trade for more just to get rid of salary.

S. Kostitsyn isn't too bad of an idea, but there would be little to no point in trading for him.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Thats how I see it too.

Old
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Signing Emery to an extension now would be the thing to do. The Flyers could get a much better deal for themselves now than at the end of the season if he keeps up this play. If he keeps it up and they wait, it's going to be an ugly situation for this team's cap.

I, personally, am plenty convinced that Emery is a pretty damn good goalie. And I don't find myself having any significant concerns about his play suddenly dropping off big time or him blowing up in the locker room or anything. I know you can't really judge a guy by his demeanor in interviews...but he's always so damn calm and relaxed, to a point where it just really makes you feel good about the attitude he has right now. And more importantly, what I think bodes extremely well for the notion that he won't be any kind of cancer in the locker room, is the fact that he clearly has a very real friendship with Carter and some of the other young guys. If he has that quality connection with some teammates, he's not gonna disrespect them, or in turn, the team. I'm willing to bet he was pretty much a loner in Ottawa, and that - along with his injury problems, and his being less mature then, and the heavier coverage he received from the Canadian media - was a recipe for what ended up occurring there.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote