HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#20 | New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers | Nov 14 | 7:00p

Old
11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
#20 | New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers | Nov 14 | 7:00p

***SPECIAL "72 AND SUNNY" EDITION***

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Law

GAME PREVIEW

Last 10 -- New York 6-2-2; Florida 4-5-1

Season series -- The teams are meeting for the first time this season. They split four games in 2008-09, with each winning twice at home. Florida has won six of the last eight meetings and has beaten the Islanders six times in a row at the BankAtlantic Center.

Big story -- The Islanders still can't hold onto leads -- they blew a 3-0 first-period advantage at Carolina on Friday before Kyle Okposo's OT goal gave them a 4-3 victory over the reeling Hurricanes. It was the ninth time in 19 games they've gone beyond regulation time, but only the third time they've gone home with two points.

The Panthers also know a little bit about playing past regulation. They're returning home after a 1-0 shootout victory at Boston on Thursday, and three of their six wins have come in shootouts.

Team Scope:

Islanders -- Tavares comes to South Florida for the first time after his first two-goal game in the NHL. He scored twice in the first period as the Isles jumped to a 3-0 lead, which they blew before Kyle Okposo scored with 15 seconds left in overtime to win it.

Tavares now leads all rookies with 7 goals and 16 points. Though much is expected from anyone taken with the No. 1 pick, Tavares is producing more than his coach thought he would.

"Every day he's getting better," Scott Gordon said after Friday's win. "I think the sky's the limit with him. The fact that he's able to produce so early in the season -- I didn't have high expectations for the kind of production that he's bringing right now. I was hopeful. But as the year progresses, and he gets used to the finer points, the game is only going to get easier for him."

Panthers -- Tomas Vokoun has only four victories this season, but three have been shutouts -- including Thursday's shootout win at Boston in which he made 40 saves through 65 minutes, then stopped four more shots in the shootout before Cory Stillman scored against Boston's Tim Thomas to win it.

Vokoun did his best work in the second period, which ended with no score even though Boston outshot the Panthers 19-1.

"We survived the second period," Vokoun said. "After the first shootout attempt didn't go in, I thought, 'Oh, my God. It's never going to go in.'"

Who's hot -- Tavares has five points in his last three games. Vokoun is tied for the NHL lead with three shutouts.

Injury report -- Okposo came back faster than expected from the H1N1 virus to get the OT winner at Carolina on Friday. The Panthers are still without forward David Booth, who's out with a concussion.

Stat pack -- The Islanders' win at Carolina was only their sixth in their last 41 road games (6-29-6), a season's worth of action away from the Nassau Coliseum. The Isles haven't won a road game in regulation since a 2-0 victory at Detroit last March 27.

Puck drop -- It's the third game in four nights for the Islanders, who are in the midst of a seven-game trip. That doesn't bode well for New York, which has always struggled in South Florida.

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Matt MoulsonJohn TavaresRichard Park
Sean BergenheimFrans NielsenKyle Okposo
Jon SimRob SchrempTrent Hunter
Blake ComeauNate ThompsonTim Jackman

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Mark StreitBruno Gervais
Freddy MeyerAndy Sutton
Jack HillenBrendan Witt

..............................G..............................
Dwayne Roloson
Martin Biron

INSIDE SHOTS:
From swine flu to overtime hero, it was a crazy couple of days for Islanders forward Kyle Okposo.

The second-year winger rejoined the Isles after skipping the opener of a seven-game road trip two days earlier in Washington because he was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus.

He certainly looked as if he was feeling better, scoring in overtime to lift the Isles to a 4-3 victory Friday night in Carolina.

"I feel pretty good," Okposo said after the Isles improved to 7-6-6 entering Saturday's game in Florida. "It felt good to contribute again. It's tough watching."

Wednesday, Okposo became the second member of the Isles to miss time this season because of swine flu, joining captain Doug Weight, who currently is sidelined with an upper-body injury.

Winger Blake Comeau also played Friday after being a last-minute scratch Wednesday in Washington because he wasn't feeling well.

ISLANDERS 4, HURRICANES 3 (OT): Islanders goalie Martin Biron isn't concerned about getting too close to teammate Kyle Okposo. The latter returned to the lineup after missing one game with swine flu, and he scored with 14.4 seconds left in overtime to lift Biron and the Isles, who improved to 6-2-3 in their last 11 games. Biron had allowed the game-tying goal to Tim Gleason with 2:31 remaining in regulation.

"I owe Okie a big hug for that, even if he is still contagious," Biron said of Okposo. "I'll take my chances. I gave up a huge goal. I owe Okie and the boys tonight."

NOTES & QUOTES:
• LW Bobby Hughes, a minor-league prospect at AHL Bridgeport, was arraigned Saturday in Albany, N.Y. on sexual assault charges, the Connecticut Post reported. Hughes, who was acquired by the Isles in a late-summer trade, was arrested by U.S. Marshals last week before a Bridgeport game against Adirondack. Hughes was charged with first- and third-degree criminal sex acts stemming from an alleged incident when he was with the AHL Albany River Rats.

• C John Tavares scored two of the Isles' three goals in the first 13:41 of Friday's 4-3 overtime win over Carolina. It marked the third straight game New York has scored three goals in the first period, a streak the Isles hadn't accomplished since 1980.

Quote To Note:

"We're really finding our chemistry. We're making the big plays when we need them most."
—Center John Tavares, after scoring twice in the first period of the Islanders' 4-3 overtime victory Friday in Carolina.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• C John Tavares, the first overall pick in the 2009 entry draft, had the first two-goal game of his career in a 4-3 overtime win Friday in Carolina.

• LW Matt Moulson added two assists and is tied with C John Tavares for the team lead with 16 points through 19 games.

• D Mark Streit scored for a second straight game after scoring just twice in his first 17 appearances.

Medical Watch:

• G Rick DiPietro, who hasn't play since Jan. 5 of last season due to lingering effects from multiple surgeries on his right knee, has resumed practicing but isn't expected back until at least late November.

• D Radek Martinek suffered a torn ACL in his right knee on Nov. 6 against New Jersey and will miss the remainder of the season.

• C Doug Weight suffered an undisclosed upper body injury Nov. 6 and is expected to be out 4-to-6 weeks.

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Rostislav OleszStephen WeissMichael Frolik
Cory StillmanSteven ReinprechtNathan Horton
Gregory CampbellDominic MooreRadek Dvorak
Kenndal McArdleKamil KrepsVictor Oreskovich

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Bryan McCabeKeith Ballard
Jordan LeopoldDennis Seidenberg
Bryan AllenDmitry Kulikov

..............................G..............................
Tomas Vokoun
Scott Clemmensen

INSIDE SHOTS:
The Panthers haven't stolen many games this season, but Thursday was definitely one of those nights.

They didn't get many scoring chances against Tim Thomas, but the Panthers were able to keep things close and ended up winning 1-0 in a shootout against the host Bruins.

The Panthers were out-shot 19-1 in the second period, but there weren't any explosions in the locker room during the second intermission. The Panthers remained calm and came out with aggressive play in the third and definitely put more heat on Thomas.

Coach Pete DeBoer liked what he saw out his team in the third period and was obviously impressed with the play of goalie Tomas Vokoun.

"He deserved the two points (Thursday night)," DeBoer said. Vokoun stopped 40 shots and has shutouts in 3-of-4 games.

The Panthers now embark on a tough stretch and the team won't have consecutive days off until Christmas. They flew home after Thursday's game and will play host to the Islanders on Saturday with the Kings coming to South Florida on Monday. After that, the Panthers have a rough three-game stretch with stops in Buffalo, Detroit and New York for a date with the Rangers.

After a rough start -- the Panthers won just two of their first 10 -- the Panthers have won 4-of-6.

PANTHERS 1, BRUINS 0 (SO): The Panthers didn't put much pressure on Tim Thomas during Thursday's game, but in the shootout, Cory Stillman had just enough to win it.

Stillman's goal came on the fourth and final shot of the night as the Panthers improved to 3-1 in shootouts this season.

Goalie Tomas Vokoun was the story for the Panthers, the veteran stopping 40 shots in the 65 minutes of play. Vokoun also stopped four shots in the shootout to earn the win. Vokoun is 2-1 in shootouts this season.

NOTES & QUOTES:
• Radek Dvorak was back in the lineup Thursday after missing two weeks after injuring his left knee Oct. 24 in Philadelphia. Dvorak was able to get in three practices this week and said he felt good after the game.

"I feel fine, maybe a step slower than usual," he said after the 1-0 shootout win at Boston. Dvorak played 21 shifts and joked with reporters on Wednesday that he would wear a full shield in Thursday's game in solidarity with his injured linemates.

Gregory Campbell and Dominic Moore had to play with a shield or cage after suffering facial injuries. Campbell has a bad cut after taking a puck to the face last Saturday in Washington. Moore's nose was broken in Philadelphia.

"We'll make it (look) like a high-school line out there," Dvorak said.

Campbell says he's trying to get used to the shield and knows that without it, doctors won't let him play.

"It's not the most comfortable thing, but I wore one three years ago for a few games," said Campbell.

• The Panthers reacquired winger Steve MacIntyre after claiming him off waivers from Edmonton. During training camp in 2008, the Panthers waived McIntrye so he could go to AHL Rochester and Edmonton claimed him. After the Panthers claimed McIntyre, they waived him again. He cleared Thursday and was assigned to Rochester.

The Panthers, looking for some toughness, say McIntyre needs to get in some games and that's why he's been sent to the minors. McIntyre played in 22 games for the Oilers last season and only two games this year.

"He's a hard-working guy," coach Pete DeBoer said. "Conditioning isn't going to be as critical for the role he's going to play with us, but he needs to get into some games."

Said general manager Randy Sexton: "We want to play grittier and upgrade the toughness on our team. We got tougher with (Victor) Oreskovich and (Kenndal) McArdle. They've done a good job. This is just another step in the process. We want a team that can hold its own physically with anyone. That doesn't happen overnight."

• W David Booth, who sustained a concussion on Oct. 24, has been cleared to do light exercise. "He's making progress," coach Pete DeBoer said.

• F Jeff Taffe was returned to AHL Rochester after Saturday's game.

• F Michal Repik was returned to AHL Rochester after Saturday's game.

• C Kamil Kreps missed two games with an injured foot suffered against Carolina but was back Thursday.

• Coach Pete DeBoer says he's moving Ville Koistinen back to defense and says if Koistinen shows he deserves to play, he will. Koistinen has been playing with the forwards since the start of the season but was benched after two shifts Saturday. He was a healthy scratch for the first time this season on Thursday.

"That's my plan now," DeBoer said. "If there's a need and he has to play forward, then we'll deal with that. But I think we've tried that and it hasn't worked, and in fairness to him I think his next opportunity should be as a defenseman."

Quote To Note:

"You know what? It was a tie game. Whether you have 50 shots or no shots, going into the third it was a tie game. We had a shot to win."
—Cory Stillman, commenting on being out-shot 19-1 in the second period but coming back to win 1-0 in a shootout.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• G Tomas Vokoun made 40 saves (not including four in the shootout) in Thursday's 1-0 win over Boston. Vokoun has shutouts in three of his past four starts.

• LW Cory Stillman has three goals in five games.

Medical Watch:

• LW David Booth spent Oct. 24 in a Philadelphia hospital after being knocked out in the second period against the Flyers. He is expected to return in the coming weeks.

• RW Radek Dvorak left the game on Oct. 24 with a left knee injury but returned Thursday against Boston.

• C Dominic Moore broke his nose against Philadelphia on Oct. 24 and had nasal surgery. He returned Thursday against Boston.

• C Kamil Kreps injured a foot against Carolina and missed two games before returning against Boston.

• C Gregory Campbell left Saturday's game after suffering facial injuries when he was hit in the face with a puck. He returned Thursday.

• LW Nick Tarnasky had facial surgery after being injured in Florida's preseason opener against Ottawa. Tarnasky is on injured reserve.

Old
11-14-2009, 11:03 AM
StuDog

Sweet track, Law. let's hope they come to play.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:06 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Screw the South Florida curse!

Islanders will play a hard, desperate game and walk away with two points.

Tavares with 2 more goals and Gervais with 3 assists

Let's Go Islanders.

Please don't give me another heartattack. I can't take it.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Law

Finally get to see JT play in person tonight. Hoping for a good showing from the fellas, their last few trips to South Florida have been disappointing.

Let's Go Islanders!

Old
11-14-2009, 11:17 AM
BaileyToOkposo

tambs BETTER b in the lineup today!!!

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Renbarg

All these games and travel are going to take a huge toll on us eventually

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Islanderfan72

Well here is to a 5 point game from Bailey

I can't tell with this team if they are just playing well and will come down to earth soon, or if they are really a good team. I hope the later but this game will be a huge test IMO.

If we want to make the playoffs this is one of the teams that must be behind us. I know it is early but this game IMO will show us how serious this team is. Florida is coming off a big win and so are we.

I like our chances but I feel the outcome of the game can go either way. I really thought the Islanders were going to lose last night because they always break other team's bad streaks so I am lost right now.

LETS GO ISLANDERS

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Hip Of Rick

Lets win 8 games this year!!!

I hope wonder boys Sim and Schremp are scratched and we get to see what Tambo and especially Bailey do after being scratched. I like the idea of using the healthy scratch to motivate our many fringe and young NHL players, if a guy has a bad game show him the press box.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Nice man! Great picture of KO scoring the game winner. I predict a 3-1 loss.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
MattBennett
HFB Partner

starting goalies: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/7805/sta...vember-14-2009
isles' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/team-lin...rs-team-lineup
panthers' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/team-lin...rs-team-lineup

MattBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Renbarg

Bailey will almost certainly play.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:20 PM
macleod50

Vokoun is always good against the Isles. 2-1 OT/SO loss.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:24 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Just puttin' this out there. If Islanders win tonight and Rags lose today to Ottawa, guess who is in last place in the division?

LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Will the game be on ESPN360 / Center Ice?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:46 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Law, the alignment is off for me, how do I fix it?

Anyways, this game his HUGE tonight. Everyone needs to play a big game tonight. LETS GO ISLANDERS!

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Bailey healthy scratch again tonight? Jeez...

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
Bailey healthy scratch again tonight? Jeez...
and Tambellini too.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
and Tambellini too.
Just as he was gaining his confidence and scoring, the coach makes him a healthy scratch. I don't get it.

2 points would be nice tonight. But can we do it in regulation please?

11-14-2009, 02:07 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Would be great to start the trip 2-0-1. This will be a tough game. Playing in less than 24 hours against a very hot goaltender in Vokoun. It will be a good test. Hopefully, we can get 2 points out of this game. Excited for the game tonight.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:37 PM
isleskovalchuk

dont get the bailey or tambellini sitting?

lets go isles!

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:05 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
dont get the bailey or tambellini sitting?

lets go isles!
As per the usual, don't listen to anyone other than Botta, who doesn't expect to receive info on the Isles lines for another hour or two.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:10 PM
UpperBodyInjury

yay for being there tonight , will be rocking my new royal blue JT jersey! I've been counting down the days for this one! LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

UpperBodyInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
BillD

Tambellini and Bailey in.
Comeau and Sim out.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Tambellini and Bailey in.
Comeau and Sim out.
If true that is good news, as Sim is useless and Comeau took two lazy penalties last game.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote