HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much do the Team 990 hosts make?

Old
11-14-2009, 01:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys View Post
despite the fact that he made a few millions total during his nhl career, Benoit Brunet probably makes more than any of you guys right now (including me, obviously)

doesn't that enrage you ?
Not really. People hate him personally for some reason lol. Whether he sucks or not, we'd never be in his position, never get a shot, and probably wouldn't be qualified due lack of professional hockey experience. So let him get his money, and I'll get mine.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

I wonder how much TSN guys make.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Maybe because Marinaro is getting better and better at what he does and he might soon be the main talk show host on the station!

In regards to hating one another...

Tony and Melnick might not get along
PJ Stock and McGuire dislike one another and prefer not working with one another
Picard and McGuire do not like one another
Bennett and PJ Stock are not the best of friends
Do not ever mention Francois Gagnon and PJ Stock in the same sentence

The list goes on...
How do you know this for certain? BTW, what happened to Picard? He used to be that guy on the Buzz.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Lebeau47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
How do you know this for certain? BTW, what happened to Picard? He used to be that guy on the Buzz.
Picard was let go due to money issues, they even let go their secretary the same time as Picard, he was their program director at the time as well....

Thats why im saying there is NO way Mitch makes 100k ... NO WAY

Team has no money... The Team990 compared to other all sports channels across Canada and even NA is a joke... Just look at the programming

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Around 35-40k.

I was looking to get into radio co-hosting last year and found that this is the salary they make. Given, they spend roughly 3-5 hours a day on the air and the rest of the time they are either at home or in the studio, coming up with subjects and stories to talk about.

Many people are confused when they say "you only work 3-5 hours and then your done for the day!". Actually, it's a lot more demanding then that.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I wonder how much TSN guys make.
they all hover around 100k or so, easily, its TV

but i also know for a fact nobody makes more then 100k at the team990, ive talked with tony many times and he always jokes "just dont take my job man, i got kids to feed" always hinting that the moneys not THAT great, thats why he does attack a 5 n has alot of restaurant endorsements n such

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:01 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebeau47 View Post
Picard was let go due to money issues, they even let go their secretary the same time as Picard, he was their program director at the time as well....

Team has no money... The Team990 compared to other all sports channels across Canada and even NA is a joke... Just look at the programming
Host make what the market bears. The $ is in morning and drive shows, and since $ is very tight in AM radio, stations pay for names in money making slots and make do in slots where there's no cash to be made.

990 is actually well done considering their market is quite small. They are lucky to have a very good creative guy, who injects a lot of humor into their ads,promos etc. They compare quite well with sports stations across the country, their real weakness is that they don't have the Als or Habs rights. otoh, it allows them to be candid in their criticism.

I wouldn't be too emphatic in your No Way's unless you're looking at someone's t4 at the moment.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:03 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
they all hover around 100k or so, easily, its TV

but i also know for a fact nobody makes more then 100k at the team990, ive talked with tony many times and he always jokes "just dont take my job man, i got kids to feed" always hinting that the moneys not THAT great, thats why he does attack a 5 n has alot of restaurant endorsements n such

they aren't all even close to being in the same bracket. Producers and support on air people make squat though, just working while waiting for a step up the ladder.

Old
11-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

Many people are confused when they say "you only work 3-5 hours and then your done for the day!". Actually, it's a lot more demanding then that.
They have people working for them diggin up the stats and stuff. They works more than them and get paid less, like mcphee pointed out.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
They have people working for them diggin up the stats and stuff. They works more than them and get paid less, like mcphee pointed out.
I've listened to guys like Marinaro, he digs up his own stuff and stays at the studio for X amount of hours before and after his show.

For guys like P.J., who is on the road a lot and spends a lot of time with his family, sure he has someone digging for him.

But there are a few that dedicate their time into everything.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:24 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I've listened to guys like Marinaro, he digs up his own stuff and stays at the studio for X amount of hours before and after his show.

For guys like P.J., who is on the road a lot and spends a lot of time with his family, sure he has someone digging for him.

But there are a few that dedicate their time into everything.
A host, if he expects to be paid like one, is responsible for show prep. If he's experienced and is of enough value, a guy can designate responsibilities to his support staff, an Andie Bennet may line up guests and coordinate times for Melnick, while a Marinaro wouldn't have the same luxury.

Old
11-14-2009, 03:38 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Theres no way Melnick makes over 100k......
I'll bet you 100K that Mitch makes at ~100K .. He's the head guy at team990, and he's been there for years...

"A 30-year veteran of radio in Montreal, Melnick is a star of Montrealís English all sports radio station, Team 990 and can be heard providing insight and analysis every weekday from 3pm-7pm as host of Melnick in the Afternoon; he also carries the Sports Director title."

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:45 PM
mikeg

Quote:
Maybe because Marinaro is getting better and better at what he does and he might soon be the main talk show host on the station!
That would suck, and no one he is not getting better. He is getting more full of himself. Christ I can't stand listening to him talk, it's like listening to a guy talking naked to himself in front of a mirror. His whole persona is "me, me, me"... he brings no real knowledge, experience, gravitas, any thing. He's just some wop from rdp/st-leo (full disclosure, i am a wop, but form the west island) and lord knows how he stumbled into the gig he has.

He's just another guy with an opinion, and he just expresses it in such a god awful annoying way. But it's local radio, and it is what it is, so good for him for carving a name for himself, just don't count me as someone who actually listens.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:00 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
That would suck, and no one he is not getting better. He is getting more full of himself. Christ I can't stand listening to him talk, it's like listening to a guy talking naked to himself in front of a mirror. His whole persona is "me, me, me"... he brings no real knowledge, experience, gravitas, any thing. He's just some wop from rdp/st-leo (full disclosure, i am a wop, but form the west island) and lord knows how he stumbled into the gig he has.

He's just another guy with an opinion, and he just expresses it in such a god awful annoying way. But it's local radio, and it is what it is, so good for him for carving a name for himself, just don't count me as someone who actually listens.
I don't mind tony, he just caters to .. how can I say .. a different demographic?

Typical caller while Tony is on..

" Tony, I said this before TONY and Im gonna tell you again TONY... This Fat Pig Guillaume on our team is useless TONY... TONY.. every time I'm watchin' these morons on RDS TONY they're all like THIS and THAT about the fat kid TONY.... TONY Between YOU and ME TONY .. I'm SICK of all DIS praise that the fat kid gets TONY "

Typical Mitch Caller:

" Hi Mitch, I'm a first time caller and I"m just in fact phoning-in reference to the analysis of your evaluation of headshots in the NHL and well, I"m sort of dumbfounded in regards to your comment about etc... "

Old
11-14-2009, 04:00 PM
RushDP

Quote:

In regards to hating one another...

Tony and Melnick might not get along
PJ Stock and McGuire dislike one another and prefer not working with one another
Picard and McGuire do not like one another
Bennett and PJ Stock are not the best of friends
Do not ever mention Francois Gagnon and PJ Stock in the same sentence

The list goes on...
Nobody has to like everybody they work with and if Mitch doesn't care for Marinaro's flip flopping "they suck and then they rule" depending on whether they win or not he has every right.

Nobody would listen to Marinaro if he didn't make stupid statements and then have 20 listeners call in.

Bennet and Stock always talk on air and Stock always kids around with her so I don't get where they don't like each other.

I don't lie Gagnon so why should Stock. Picard was always an ass and good riddance.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:07 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Nobody has to like everybody they work with and if Mitch doesn't care for Marinaro's flip flopping "they suck and then they rule" depending on whether they win or not he has every right.

Nobody would listen to Marinaro if he didn't make stupid statements and then have 20 listeners call in.

Bennet and Stock always talk on air and Stock always kids around with her so I don't get where they don't like each other.

I don't lie Gagnon so why should Stock. Picard was always an ass and good riddance.

people shouldn't make the mistake of believing that every on air difference of opinion is any more than that.

Old
11-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
they aren't all even close to being in the same bracket. Producers and support on air people make squat though, just working while waiting for a step up the ladder.
no exactly, i meant VOICE TALENT, everyone else make close to nothing and all have to get second jobs, hell its why im not workin at the team 990 currently, i went to the radio school at the same time as sean campbell and were good friends, he just followed through with it and basicaly worked for free for 3 months while i just couldnt afford to do that , but i did get my diploma, might look into it sometime soon now that i do have money lol

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:11 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
no exactly, i meant VOICE TALENT, everyone else make close to nothing and all have to get second jobs, hell its why im not workin at the team 990 currently, i went to the radio school at the same time as sean campbell and were good friends, he just followed through with it and basicaly worked for free for 3 months while i just couldnt afford to do that , but i did get my diploma, might look into it sometime soon now that i do have money lol
I'm saying there's a big difference between what a guy doing an afternoon drive show would make in comparison with mid morning or early afternoon. The compensation levels aren't comaparable as the income generated isn't comparable.

Old
11-14-2009, 04:14 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I don't mind tony, he just caters to .. how can I say .. a different demographic?

Typical caller while Tony is on..

" Tony, I said this before TONY and Im gonna tell you again TONY... This Fat Pig Guillaume on our team is useless TONY... TONY.. every time I'm watchin' these morons on RDS TONY they're all like THIS and THAT about the fat kid TONY.... TONY Between YOU and ME TONY .. I'm SICK of all DIS praise that the fat kid gets TONY "

Typical Mitch Caller:

" Hi Mitch, I'm a first time caller and I"m just in fact phoning-in reference to the analysis of your evaluation of headshots in the NHL and well, I"m sort of dumbfounded in regards to your comment about etc... "
Talk about painting a listener fanbase with a very broad brush! There is no way the "typical" caller to Marinaro's comes off sounding like that. You make it sound like every listener of Italian origin (i am one) in town calls in with this type of call.

Marinaro gets his fair share of intelligent callers much as Mitch gets his fair share of the above mentioned imbeciles.

We're discussing Marinaro here not his callers. Actually we are discussing how much they make but somehow have moved to the quality of listeners calling in to each host.

Anyway, they make X number of dollars and then supplement their salaries with events and other media vehicles that add to their salary base. The most important thing is when they are the face of an advertising campaign they get alot of stuff free. when they represent an audio video dealer they get free HD TV's and so on. I doubt Melnick has paid for a meal or drink in 5 years.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Talk about painting a listener fanbase with a very broad brush! There is no way the "typical" caller to Marinaro's comes off sounding like that. You make it sound like every listener of Italian origin (i am one) in town calls in with this type of call.

Marinaro gets his fair share of intelligent callers much as Mitch gets his fair share of the above mentioned imbeciles.

We're discussing Marinaro here not his callers. Actually we are discussing how much they make but somehow have moved to the quality of listeners calling in to each host.

Anyway, they make X number of dollars and then supplement their salaries with events and other media vehicles that add to their salary base. The most important thing is when they are the face of an advertising campaign they get alot of stuff free. when they represent an audio video dealer they get free HD TV's and so on. I doubt Melnick has paid for a meal or drink in 5 years.
c'mon don't get sensitive. Wouldn't you agree that a high % of Tony's callers feature last names that begin with a vowel ? c'mon let's not get all pc here.

Old
11-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Le CH

Quote:

You act like $100K per year is an enormous amount... I have no doubt Mitch is making b/w $100-$125K per year.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:30 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
The good radio hosts are the ones who come in a few hours before, with their co-hosts if they have some, and go over the show and what they'll talk about. There's always a clear difference when you can tell that someone just got in the studio 5 minutes ago, is still getting set-up while the show is starting, and they're just basically talking out of their ***** trying to sound like they know what they're talking about. I've seen that all too often. That's when it's kind of annoying and best to just change the channel.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:32 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Actually, I was continuing mikeg's comments about Tony... what's wrong with having a little fun with thread?

And, for the record, I suggest you pay closer attention to the type of callers on each show, you'll come to the realization (minus exceptions) that they do in fact attract different callers.

edit: and since when do "only" italians speak like this? And I know a lot of italians that do not speak like that too.

Old
11-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Around 35-40k.

I was looking to get into radio co-hosting last year and found that this is the salary they make. Given, they spend roughly 3-5 hours a day on the air and the rest of the time they are either at home or in the studio, coming up with subjects and stories to talk about.

I didn't take the question to mean entry level salaries, more like questioning what todays popular personalities make.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:21 AM
emb24*

i know for a fact that melnick makes approx. 150k.
the morning guys between 50-60k - including marinaro

slugs like mckenna and Campbell, much less

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote