HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke on Leafs Lunch now 12:10-ish

Old
11-14-2009, 04:13 PM
SteveV*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
I'm sure teams are lining up to give us 2nd rounders for garbage like Matt Stajan
Poni, Stemp, Hagman all get you a second at the deadline. And yes, maybe somebody is dumb enough to look at Stajan's numbers last year and give us a second. If we could get a second for Moore, getting that pick shouldn't be to hard with these guys. Plus, a guy like Poni, you could always resign next year.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:14 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
I'm sure teams are lining up to give us 2nd rounders for garbage like Matt Stajan
Surely you jest? I'm calling for the leafs to end up with four second rounders thru trades this year. How does that grab ya?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Surely you jest? I'm calling for the leafs to end up with four second rounders thru trades this year. How does that grab ya?
I'd say that is a very real possibility.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 05:41 PM
ThankYouKessel81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lahey View Post
Grabovski has a winning attitude...he's a bit cocky, likes the spotlight, wants to be a real good player.
He doesn't have anything to be cocky about though.

ThankYouKessel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I'd say that is a very real possibility.
Seeing how next year's draft isn't that deep, it we get 4 seconds, i think we should package two of em for a 20/20+ + ish first. Instead of getting 4 good prospects, we get one very good prospect and two good ones.

Who knows, maybe some team will want two of those guys and pay us a late first for em.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:14 PM
hackm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Seeing how next year's draft isn't that deep, it we get 4 seconds, i think we should package two of em for a 20/20+ + ish first. Instead of getting 4 good prospects, we get one very good prospect and two good ones.

Who knows, maybe some team will want two of those guys and pay us a late first for em.
Teams trading a second to us would be in the 45-55 range, most likely. And it takes two picks in that range to get an early second. Then it would take two early seconds to get that late first. For example:

PIT 2nd (51st) + SJ 2nd (55th) for Florida's 2nd (37th)

Florida's 2nd (37th) + Our Own 2nd (35th?) for Buffalo's 1st (27th).

That's the only way something like that would work. Three 2nd's for one late first.

hackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Drakkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post

I'd rather keep the four seconds if acquired and draft 2 high risk, high reward guys in projects. Use the other two on best players available.

Cost is too high to acquire the firsts with those picks in my opinion.

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackm View Post
Teams trading a second to us would be in the 45-55 range, most likely. And it takes two picks in that range to get an early second. Then it would take two early seconds to get that late first. For example:

That's the only way something like that would work. Three 2nd's for one late first.
Yea, what you said makes more sense. However, i think we will get two 40-50 picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkor View Post
I'd rather keep the four seconds if acquired and draft 2 high risk, high reward guys in projects. Use the other two on best players available.

Yea if it takes three, we should keep 4 seconds. Our scouts need to pull another 06.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:01 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Played that Patrick Kane question very well. Had the potential to be accused of tampering again. Hahaha.
its not like we have any draft picks to afford the compensation if we did sign him.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Pierre Gotye

I hope Poni is not one of the ones that gets traded. I really like what he brings to the table. Not a flashy player or a first line forward, but I am comfortable with him playing on any line and any situation.

He had a bad game tonight, but I think he has done a lot of good over the past 4 seasons. Although there are some who will strongly disagree with me.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Call of the loonie

vCash: 50
Yeah, I like Poni too. But the problem is that next year someone is going to pay him somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3.5M. I don't want that on our team.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:24 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
Personally I think Kulemin has been one of our best forwards. Sure the points aren't there but this guy is good. We'd be foolish to trade him unless something returning was better value (maybe couple of players bunched together from the Leafs) than what he brings to the table.
Can you really say that now after tonights game? He needs to be sent down or traded. Has no confidence, and his play right now isnt worth a spot in the lineup.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:27 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Burke spent a full hour on Leaf's Lunch today, taking questions from the fans.

What struck me, he basically said they would wait until the trade deadline to move the guys with expiring contracts, that way you maximize their value. I see a few second rounders coming our way.

I was surprised how unequivocal he was about the college kids. Burke said that both Bozak and Hanson would be with the big club this year, "no question", just a matter of when. That was music to my ears, move out a couple stiffs and at least let us dream about upside.

Didn't want to deal with the C question at all, gave a turt "NO" when asked if anyone was going to be named.

Defended Schenn's play, said he had a great attitude.

Sort of backed off the "Toskala is the starter" angle, but that he didn't want to rush Gus, so needed him to play well.

A caller said that Kessel was the only top six forward. Burke disagreed, saying Grabs was top six material. He praised his work ethic. Said Grabs told Wilson he wanted to get pk time. Wilson said he wouldn't because he was bad on draws. Burke said Grabs made a real effort to improve, which shows his commitment.

Thinks Gunnarson is the real deal, although he cautioned he might not be quite ready for a full time gig.
Love the confidence in Grabovski. Im really happy with his play so far. He does need to show a little more scoring instinct, but he plays with energy and heart.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:27 PM
The Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Burke spent a full hour on Leaf's Lunch today, taking questions from the fans.

What struck me, he basically said they would wait until the trade deadline to move the guys with expiring contracts, that way you maximize their value. I see a few second rounders coming our way.

I was surprised how unequivocal he was about the college kids. Burke said that both Bozak and Hanson would be with the big club this year, "no question", just a matter of when. That was music to my ears, move out a couple stiffs and at least let us dream about upside.

Didn't want to deal with the C question at all, gave a turt "NO" when asked if anyone was going to be named.

Defended Schenn's play, said he had a great attitude.

Sort of backed off the "Toskala is the starter" angle, but that he didn't want to rush Gus, so needed him to play well.

A caller said that Kessel was the only top six forward. Burke disagreed, saying Grabs was top six material. He praised his work ethic. Said Grabs told Wilson he wanted to get pk time. Wilson said he wouldn't because he was bad on draws. Burke said Grabs made a real effort to improve, which shows his commitment.

Thinks Gunnarson is the real deal, although he cautioned he might not be quite ready for a full time gig.
What message is Burke sending?
Waiting until the trade deadline to move expiring contracts sounds like he is looking to sell.
Non-playoff teams sell.
Playoff teams buy.
No sense tanking without our first, I guess Burke is looking to hold a liquidation sale!

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:10 AM
tzinc

teams will not be giving up 2nd round picks for leafs players they are not worth even that except kabs

moreover even if they do get 2nd round picks with burke making them how good will they be since his judgement seems to have been off on player evaluation so far

leafs should have stuck with their own higher picks its less likely to screw up higher picks even with a bad talent evaluating gm

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:53 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkor View Post

Agreed.

Keep all the 2nds.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:59 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I believe he said Hanson and Bozak will be with the Leafs this year.
I wouldn't expect to see them until after the deadline. They'll be filling in the roster spots of the ufa's moved.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote