HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Give Brule more minutes? Lines when we're healthy?

Old
11-14-2009, 12:02 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Give Brule more minutes? Lines when we're healthy?

Ok, let's imagine for a minute that all of our forwards are healthy. What do you do with this squad?

I say you put Brule on the 2nd line. He does all of the grunt work well, skates like the wind and puts up a respectable amount of points at the same time. His shot % has been great this year, as well.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky

It's time that we officially accept the fact that Gagner is our #1 center. He works hard. He wants to play well, and this line has had some big nights this season.

Cogliano-Horcoff-Brule

Cogliano needs to start scoring and having him play down on the bottom 2 lines isn't going to change anything. Horcoff needs to start scoring and he's usually our best guy on faceoffs. I really don't like the idea of Horcoff in our top-6, but we need to try to make something better out of his huge contract he's got. All 3 of these guys are defensively responsible and can skate like the wind.

Stone-Comrie-O'Sullivan

This line has had chemistry from the start. From what we saw it accomplish at the beginning of the year I think many could agree that it would get even ice time as the 2nd line.

JFJ-Poltuny-Stortini

Hard working energy line, which wouldn't likely see a hell of a lot of ice time.

If you haven't noticed I've dropped:

Pisani - If his illness is as serious as it was last time, I think we'd be lucky to see him back any time this season.

Moreau - I've been on his case for two seasons now. He knows he's not playing well enough. He knows he's taking too many penalties. He's not a fool... yet it's still happening. At one point I'm sure most of us thought he was a very fitting captain, but I can't put up with it anymore. Don't ask me who the torch should be passed to. I just know it shouldn't be this guy. I think we get more out of JFJ at a cheaper price.

Nilson - Last year he slumped... and then got benched... and then he slumped some more.... he's still slumping. Why is he slumping? He put on a noticeable amount of muscle over the off-season. Coming into training camp I thought that meant he was willing to make a greater commitment.... but his game reminds me of Alex Molginy in the worst way possible pretty much every game he's played so far this year. He's got some amazing skills but never seems to be in the mood to play well for a full shift, let alone a full game. I doubt that this guy's heart is in the right place.

Note: I think that both Moreau and Nilson have contracts which make them possible to trade. Both are making 2M next season and after that one will be RFA and the other UFA.

We've pondered and dreamed up hundreds of package deals which ship one of our defensemen and one of either Nilson or Moreau over and over again... nobody can say that those kind of deals involving these boys are impossible... but I think with just 1 year at 2 mill left it's possible to pull off a Rafi Torres type deal.

Thoughts?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:06 PM
rigger

I agree with you and like your lines a whole bunch.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
I love Brule and what he brings, and would love to see him get more ice time and responsability, but I think whats holding him back is he still is prone to turning the puck over by overhandling it in the neutral zone or with a bad pass. His turnovers also usually happen in the worst areas of the ice.

I think Quinn is bringing him along slowly and trying to iron out these gaffes as he develops this season.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:14 PM
hockeyaddict101

Healthy? Injury-free?

What is this fantasy?

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I'm really not sold on Brule turning the corner yet. Nearly all of his pts occurred in a quick run where everybody on the team not named Nilsson or Moreau was doing well. Teams have stretches like that where they score in bunches and eveything going in.

Since then Brule has looked ineffective. He has 1G 1A in his last 9games. He's been weaker on the puck in that time and gets bumped off or loses control. In the worst locations. I really think he again took a step back after returning from the flu and that his intensity is down a notch. In recent games he's reminding me a lot of Pouliot.

Brule doesn't get a lot of shots off and has an inordinately high shooting percentage right now and this from a player who only 2 years ago scored 1 goal through an entire season..

Sully has a better shot and much better pass and should be a top 6 player on this team. No way do I put Brule top 6 instead of Sully at this, or any time.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm really not sold on Brule turning the corner yet. Nearly all of his pts occurred in a quick run where everybody on the team not named Nilsson or Moreau was doing well. Teams have stretches like that where they score in bunches and eveything going in.

Since then Brule has looked ineffective. He has 1G 1A in his last 9games. He's been weaker on the puck in that time and gets bumped off or loses control. In the worst locations. I really think he again took a step back after returning from the flu and that his intensity is down a notch. In recent games he's reminding me a lot of Pouliot.

Brule doesn't get a lot of shots off and has an inordinately high shooting percentage right now and this from a player who only 2 years ago scored 1 goal through an entire season..

Sully has a better shot and much better pass and should be a top 6 player on this team. No way do I put Brule top 6 instead of Sully at this, or any time.
No offense Replacement, I value your opinion on most things, but when it comes to Torres/ Brule, Penner, and a couple of other things I really think your opinion is completely distorted by bias.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
No offense Replacement, I value your opinion on most things, but when it comes to Torres/ Brule, Penner, and a couple of other things I really think your opinion is completely distorted by bias.
Earlier in the year in preseason games and early season I thought Brule had better compete and was stronger on the forecheck and said so. He's not even getting the puck deep these days.

Brule has gotten away from what could make him successful on this club. He needs to be playing alongside somebody like JFJ or Stone to remind him of a needed physical side in his game.

Brule could be a skilled physical forward here thats tough on the forecheck. That would be his ticket here in a small forward lineup.

He should be bright enough to recognize that.

I get on players that could be playing a lot better. Its show me time for Brule and many years have passed.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
spot

I really like your idea regarding Brule. I would reward his work ethic and potential. Not too mention that he has good pedigree. Cogs has been working hard lately and O'sully needs to step out of the top 6 thus alleviating the pressure on him. That third line could be a "sneak attack" on alot of teams.

My only worry is Moreau. I think that he gets by purely on captaincy and him being a vet. Does Tambi have the guts to trade him??

Last note, REDDOX!! This guy has extreme hustle. If Stone doesn't step up and maintain a physical presence then I say we replace him with reddox. He is also HUGE on the pk.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
misfit

I like how your first line is "let's imagine for a minute that all of our forwards are healthy" and then go on to exclude Pisani because he's injured.

Also, as much as Moreau has been bad, he's still been better than Jacques.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Rafters

I get the feeling that at some Point Quinn is going to give Brule a shot with Hemsky.....Brule is pretty good at face offs as well

Moreau-Horcoff-Stortini
Penner-Brule-Hemsky
Jfj-Cogs-Stone/MAP/O'Marra
Comrie-Gags-Sully

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:48 PM
jeetz

They are doing things right with Brule. The kid is a player. Slower is better because they can't get it wrong this time. he will get his minutes eventually. We don't gain much by rushing him at this point.

I like the proposed lines. #2 and #3 could easily be swapped depending on who has the hot hand. Horcoff's salary makes that line #2.

Losing Moreau and Nilsson would be addition by subtraction

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Stiffler's Mom

Very effective

Quote:

Brule 2nd in ES points on team. Chart below shows Brule as VERY EFFECTIVE

Player Team Pos GP G A P +/- ESP SHPPPPHmPRdPDvP ODvP
1 Dustin Penner EDM R 19 11 11 22 9 14 0 8 14 8 7 15
2 Gilbert Brule EDM C 16 5 5 10 0 10 0 0 6 4 4 6
3 Ales Hemsky EDM R 16 4 13 17 4 10 0 7 12 5 3 14
4 P O'Sullivan EDM C 19 3 9 12 -5 9 0 3 8 4 6 6
5 Sam Gagner EDM C 19 4 7 11 -1 6 0 5 8 3 6 5
6 Denis GrebeshkovEDM D 19 3 7 10 -7 6 0 4 6 4 4 6
7 Lubomir VisnovskyEDM D 17 4 7 11 3 5 0 6 7 4 5 6
8 Andrew Cogliano EDM C 19 3 4 7 1 5 0 2 2 5 1 6
9 JF Jacques EDM L 15 2 3 5 -5 5 0 0 4 1 2 3
10 Mike Comrie EDM C 14 5 3 8 -3 4 0 4 6 2 4 4
11 Ethan Moreau EDM L 18 3 1 4 0 4 0 0 1 3 1 3
12 Jason Strudwick EDM D 17 0 3 3 -4 3 0 0 2 1 1 2
13 Steve Staios EDM D 7 0 3 3 4 3 0 0 0 3 1 2
14 Ryan Stone EDM C 8 0 3 3 -2 3 0 0 3 0 2 1
15 Shawn Horcoff EDM C 15 2 3 5 -6 3 0 2 4 1 1 4
16 Zack Stortini EDM R 19 2 1 3 1 2 0 1 0 3 0 3
17 Robert Nilsson EDM C 12 1 3 4 -12 2 0 2 3 1 2 2
18 Tom Gilbert EDM D 19 1 3 4 -4 2 0 2 1 3 2 2
19 Ladislav Smid EDM D 17 0 4 4 5 2 0 2 3 1 0 4
20 Liam Reddox EDM L 3 0 1 1 -1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0
21 Fernando Pisani EDM R 6 0 0 0 -3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
22 Steve MacIntyreEDM L 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
23 Ryan O'Marra EDM C 1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
24 Ryan Potulny EDM C 3 1 1 2 -2 0 0 2 0 2 2 0
25 Taylor Chorney EDM D 13 0 1 1 -6 0 0 1 0 1 0 1
26 Theo Peckham EDM D 4 0 0 0 -5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
27 Sheldon Souray EDM D 3 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1-27 of 27 results 1 LEGENDPlayer - Player NameTeam - TeamPos - PositionGP - Games PlayedG - Total GoalsA - Total AssistsP - Total Points+/- - Plus/Minus ESP - Even Strength Points SHP - Short Handed PointsPPP - Power Play PointsHmP - Home PointsRdP - Road PointsDvP - Own Division PointsODvP - Other Division PointsP/G - Average Points Per Game

Stiffler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:00 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I like how your first line is "let's imagine for a minute that all of our forwards are healthy" and then go on to exclude Pisani because he's injured.

Also, as much as Moreau has been bad, he's still been better than Jacques.
Really? Arguable maybe. Given the fact that Jaques makes 1.5 million less then Moreau (roughly) doesn't take dumb penalties unlike Moreau, can actually fight, hit and chip in equall amount of goals.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
You say this matter of factly in boldfaced letters 19 games into the season when 1 ES pt seperates the two players..

Quinn played Sully 24mins in the most recent game. Twice as much as Brule.

Presumably because he thinks Sully is very effective and in many capacities.

Sully has 3X more pts than Brule in his career thus far. He's already had a 53pt season.

Theres no denying who has the better pedigree at this level.

Old
11-14-2009, 02:59 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post

especially considering he only gets 5-10 minutes most nights.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Earlier in the year in preseason games and early season I thought Brule had better compete and was stronger on the forecheck and said so. He's not even getting the puck deep these days.

Brule has gotten away from what could make him successful on this club. He needs to be playing alongside somebody like JFJ or Stone to remind him of a needed physical side in his game.

Brule could be a skilled physical forward here thats tough on the forecheck. That would be his ticket here in a small forward lineup.

He should be bright enough to recognize that.

I get on players that could be playing a lot better. Its show me time for Brule and many years have passed.
Your reason for not liking Brule is because of the Torres factor I would imagine.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Your reason for not liking Brule is because of the Torres factor I would imagine.
Agreed. Isn't the poster you quoted the person who keeps harping on how good Torres is.

11-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Explain my liking O' Sullivan in that case.

I was a fan of Cole for years.

Erik is not the same player since a serious injury but used to be one of my favorites.

Sully has just had a much better NHL game than Brule thus far in the respective careers.

I look at good young players fulling a niche and finding ways to get minutes and increase their worth to a club. Compare that statement to what Sully is already doing on this club.

He's very versatile. Very useful player.

My opinion on the respective players is no different than Quinns in terms of the use of these players.

Old
11-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Explain my liking O' Sullivan in that case.

I was a fan of Cole for years.

Erik is not the same player since a serious injury but used to be one of my favorites.

Sully has just had a much better NHL game than Brule thus far in the respective careers.

I look at good young players fulling a niche and finding ways to get minutes and increase their worth to a club. Compare that statement to what Sully is already doing on this club.

He's very versatile. Very useful player.

My opinion on the respective players is no different than Quinns in terms of the use of these players.
I don't expect your dislike of players to be fair and level like that.

I've seen posts of yours before talking about the trade, and personally I think a big reason you dislike Brule is because we traded Torres for him. If not, it just comes across that way.

'Tis all.

Old
11-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Soundwave

It's too bad we couldn't have dealt Nilsson for Brule.

Torres Brule Stone

Or some variation thereof could've been a lot of fun to watch.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I don't expect your dislike of players to be fair and level like that.

I've seen posts of yours before talking about the trade, and personally I think a big reason you dislike Brule is because we traded Torres for him. If not, it just comes across that way.

'Tis all.
Feel free to debate my point. Of the two players who has acclimitized and quickly built his niche in the NHL?

Who is the better NHL player right now?

By all means I guess its easy to editorially critique another posters statements.

But maybe make your own once in awhile.

Old
11-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Torres Brule Stone

^This^

Old
11-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
^This^
Well hindsight being what it is, probably would've been nice to have Glencross over Pisani as well.

Torres Brule Glencross
Moreau Stone JFJ

Would be a very hard bottom six to play against.

Anyways I would like to see Brule and/or Cogs get a shot playing with Hemsky. They both have speed and have never really been tried with Hemmer, and at this point, really, what do we have to lose? Brule has a decent shot as well.

Last edited by Soundwave: 11-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:49 PM
battlegoon

I suggested putting him with Hemsky right at the end of training camp. he can shoot, hes physical, hes fast, hes perfect.

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Torres Brule Stone

I wonder if Brule and Stone could have held up Torres when he went on his 20 game vacation..