HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Give Brule more minutes? Lines when we're healthy?

Old
11-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 500
17 points in 24 games.

Seems like he has his legs back after what *I* perceived as fatigue from recovering from the flu (true or not though, that's debatable).

16 points EV Strength, tied for 19th in the league.

Before this game he's averaging only :47 seconds a game on the PP. When is Quinn going to recognize that Brule is putting up points on a much harder venue then just the PP and reward the player?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 11:42 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Looked dangerous all game tonight. Penner is benefiting from Brule as well, what a pass to set him up on that goal.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Brule is already better than Horcoff.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

The kid needs more PP time on the LW 1/2 boards.

Brule-Penner-Cogliano/Nilsson
Visnovsky-Souray

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Prospectman

Always believed it was a confidence issue with him. Loads of talent. They just rushed him!!!! Its happening too much in NHL.

Juat hope he keeps it up for my Fantasy teams sake. Just traded Alex Pieterangelo for him and a 2009 1st rdr.

I think Im more concerned with his desire. As has been mentioned he likes to take nights off.

Prospectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Stiffler's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
Always believed it was a confidence issue with him. Loads of talent. They just rushed him!!!! Its happening too much in NHL.

Juat hope he keeps it up for my Fantasy teams sake. Just traded Alex Pieterangelo for him and a 2009 1st rdr.

I think Im more concerned with his desire. As has been mentioned he likes to take nights off.
Do you actually watch the games closely? Brule has been the embodiement of desire. How else can he play shift in shift out like his hair is on fire? What? He doesn't hit enough? Not fast enough? Doesn't score enough? Doesn't back check enough? Why don't you take a closer look at some of the other Oilers and compare their effort night in and night out. I think you'll find that 67 has been remarkable with the ice time given. I just don't think your comment applies to 67.

Stiffler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 04:23 AM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Ok, let's imagine for a minute that all of our forwards are healthy. What do you do with this squad?

I say you put Brule on the 2nd line. He does all of the grunt work well, skates like the wind and puts up a respectable amount of points at the same time. His shot % has been great this year, as well.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky

It's time that we officially accept the fact that Gagner is our #1 center. He works hard. He wants to play well, and this line has had some big nights this season.

Cogliano-Horcoff-Brule

Cogliano needs to start scoring and having him play down on the bottom 2 lines isn't going to change anything. Horcoff needs to start scoring and he's usually our best guy on faceoffs. I really don't like the idea of Horcoff in our top-6, but we need to try to make something better out of his huge contract he's got. All 3 of these guys are defensively responsible and can skate like the wind.

Stone-Comrie-O'Sullivan

This line has had chemistry from the start. From what we saw it accomplish at the beginning of the year I think many could agree that it would get even ice time as the 2nd line.

JFJ-Poltuny-Stortini

Hard working energy line, which wouldn't likely see a hell of a lot of ice time.

If you haven't noticed I've dropped:

Pisani - If his illness is as serious as it was last time, I think we'd be lucky to see him back any time this season.

Moreau - I've been on his case for two seasons now. He knows he's not playing well enough. He knows he's taking too many penalties. He's not a fool... yet it's still happening. At one point I'm sure most of us thought he was a very fitting captain, but I can't put up with it anymore. Don't ask me who the torch should be passed to. I just know it shouldn't be this guy. I think we get more out of JFJ at a cheaper price.

Nilson - Last year he slumped... and then got benched... and then he slumped some more.... he's still slumping. Why is he slumping? He put on a noticeable amount of muscle over the off-season. Coming into training camp I thought that meant he was willing to make a greater commitment.... but his game reminds me of Alex Molginy in the worst way possible pretty much every game he's played so far this year. He's got some amazing skills but never seems to be in the mood to play well for a full shift, let alone a full game. I doubt that this guy's heart is in the right place.

Note: I think that both Moreau and Nilson have contracts which make them possible to trade. Both are making 2M next season and after that one will be RFA and the other UFA.

We've pondered and dreamed up hundreds of package deals which ship one of our defensemen and one of either Nilson or Moreau over and over again... nobody can say that those kind of deals involving these boys are impossible... but I think with just 1 year at 2 mill left it's possible to pull off a Rafi Torres type deal.

Thoughts?

i like those lines...better than what i came up with
Would dumping Moreau and Nilsson be enough for people to be satisfied that we are rebuilding though?

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Prospectman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
Do you actually watch the games closely? Brule has been the embodiement of desire. How else can he play shift in shift out like his hair is on fire? What? He doesn't hit enough? Not fast enough? Doesn't score enough? Doesn't back check enough? Why don't you take a closer look at some of the other Oilers and compare their effort night in and night out. I think you'll find that 67 has been remarkable with the ice time given. I just don't think your comment applies to 67.
This is exactly why Im asking OIler fans who are seeing his transformation & whether or not its real.

B4 this season and in Jr he took many nights off. Most scouts will tell u that.

If he's still doing it this year Id have to be a little hesitant about him becoming the player he was projected when drafted.

Thanks for your passionate comment though. It helps me too see he IS working harder then ever.

Prospectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
This is exactly why Im asking OIler fans who are seeing his transformation & whether or not its real.

B4 this season and in Jr he took many nights off. Most scouts will tell u that.

If he's still doing it this year Id have to be a little hesitant about him becoming the player he was projected when drafted.

Thanks for your passionate comment though. It helps me too see he IS working harder then ever.
I'm really unsure where the notion that he liked to take nights off in junior came from. I watched him a ton in junior and can't think of a single game that he glided around doing nothing. His effort has always been one of the things that have set him apart as a player, so im a little mistified that this notion has circled around. His apparent lack of effort in Columbus I think is more attributed to not having confidence in his game and not really knowing what he was supposed to do. The only time he's looked sluggish this year was when he came back from the flu and you could clearley see that he was a step slower because of it.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote