HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The one banner not found hanging from the rafters of the Rock...

Old
11-15-2009, 05:57 PM
BCdevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
nope, I would be about ten and my dad didn't believe in paying a few bucks a month for the games, so I went to a game or two a year.

I understand the "meaning" of the banner and thought that was why it was hung, I did not know that that was the recognized championship, though.
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to be condescending, simply trying to help explain it a little more.

BCdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 06:26 PM
brule2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroDevil View Post
7/23 is actually a pretty lousy record for PT winners. I have a hunch that correlation between best regular season record and eventual championship is higher in other major sports.
Had a look at MLB since they went to 8 playoff teams. 2 of 15; the Yanks in 1998 and last month. That's pretty much exactly what a random draw would give you. Seems NHL President's Trophy winners have a far better record than you would expect.

Superbowl winners have had the best regular season record 6 times in 19 since 1990. A similar record to the NHL but with fewer playoff teams.

NBA since 1992; 7 for 18. NHL record seems pretty strong when compared to the "big three" stats.

Worst thing to note is two of the seven successful teams were the Rags in '94 and Avs in '01.

Last edited by Cowbell232: 11-15-2009 at 07:27 PM.
brule2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:46 AM
CroDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brule2000 View Post
Had a look at MLB since they went to 8 playoff teams. 2 of 15; the Yanks in 1998 and last month. That's pretty much exactly what a random draw would give you. Seems NHL President's Trophy winners have a far better record than you would expect.

Superbowl winners have had the best regular season record 6 times in 19 since 1990. A similar record to the NHL but with fewer playoff teams.

NBA since 1992; 7 for 18. NHL record seems pretty strong when compared to the "big three" stats.

Worst thing to note is two of the seven successful teams were the Rags in '94 and Avs in '01.
NBA is obviously the most comparable to NHL of these leagues when you consider regular season length and playoff format, and it seems like the correlation between best regular season record and championship is higher there than in NHL. If you go all the way back to 1986, best regular season team won 12 out of 24 championships, exactly 50%. That's much better than Presidents Trophy winners record in that same period.

MLB playoffs are freakishly random. You missed 2007 Red Sox but still it's just 3/15. On the other hand four Wild Card teams won the World Series, so WC teams are actually more likely to win it all than the best regular season teams - that sounds like a broken playoff system to me.

NFL is really hard to compare since they play so few games and have KO playoffs.

Last edited by CroDevil: 11-16-2009 at 05:02 AM.
CroDevil is offline   Reply With Quote