HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conklin VS Guy (The Whole Story)

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Conklin VS Guy (The Whole Story)

Remeber when I told you guys about the time Ty Conklin gave me some friendly cheap shots for having written the team off in the March issue of the Edmonton Sports Scene?

I was going through my transcription notes and stumbled on the actual conversation that I never used, because it was mostly for the story I would have written if they made the playoffs. Here now is the word for word account of that funny day (well, funny to me).

TC: Hey, I read one of your stories a few days ago.
GF: (laughs) Uh oh, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

TC: No no, it was fine, well written. I liked it.
GF: Was it one on the internet or in the Sports Scene?

TC: It was in the Sports Scene, you know, the one where you wrote us off.
GF: (face red) oh... ha, ha, ha... um, yeah. Well you know how it is. At that point you guys were way back and that was also before the Nedved and Salo deals too...

TC: I know (smiles), I'm just giving you a hard time, man.

*** So then we were interrupted by some "real" journalist who wanted to ask actual questions of Ty (go figure). Eventually I got back to Ty and we picked up where we left off from, with a more serious line of queries.

GF: I've always wondered about something. Let's say you come across a story written by some hack in a local paper…
TY: (laughs) Come on, I’m not steamed am I?

GF: But seriously, do things like that give you guys an extra kick in the ass?
TC: I don’t think it gives us an extra kick in the ass but you have to take everything that’s written in the media with a grain of salt. The media has a job to do and there’s going to be times where we didn’t look that great and we’re not in (the playoffs) yet but we’re playing well and we’re on the right road. We’ve put ourselves into a pretty good position I think.

GF: So it seems to me, that in my own way I may have done the team a service by writing that and spurring you on?
TC: (laughs) yeah you watch, we’ll get into the playoffs and you guys are going to take the credit for it! Let’s be honest, sometimes when you read negative things in the paper it can tick you off but everybody’s got a job to do and you have to tell it like you see it whether we like it or not.

GF: I have to write the column for the April issue now so should I be writing that you guys would be wiped out in the first round just to give you another extra boost?
TC: Let us get into the playoffs and then you can write us off and maybe that will spur us on a little more. You look at us going into the playoffs, and I’m not trying to count my chickens before they hatch, but if we make it in we do so playing some pretty good hockey. That’s what everybody wants. We may not have played our best hockey in November and December but when you’re playing your best hockey in February and March, that’s when you want it.

GF: You might be the team that no one else wants to face in the first round.
TC: We’re playing good right now and we’ve still got some wins to get but at least we’ve put ourselves back in striking distance. It’s exciting hockey to be playing, it’s fun.

GF: No NHL playoff experience for you but lots in the AHL. Confident?
TC: These are like playoff games right now for us. This is the best experience I can get, we’re not in the playoffs yet but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. This stretch drive we’re having now, with how important it is, will help me come playoff time.

GF: Back last summer when I talked to you on the phone from your fiance's house, you told me to tell Stollie to cut his mop before training camp.
TC: What? I said that? (laughing)

GF: Your hair is getting pretty shaggy.
TC: Yeah, I got pretty good hair now, Stollie’s got good hair but I’ve got really thick hair.

GF: But when you look at the pregame video or the picture of you on the screen…
TC: Yeah, there’s no hair huh? I looked like you! Thank God I don’t anymore eh? (laughing).

So Ty got the last word in for this season. I did speak with him again on Clean Out day but that conversation will come out in the Rookie Season Review in the works now.

Hope you enjoyed that little behind-the-scenes look. It's funnier on tape though.

Old
04-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Boondock Saint

Awesome stuff, Guy.

It's cool to get a glimpse of some of these guy's personalities...............

Old
04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Hope you enjoyed that little behind-the-scenes look. It's funnier on tape though.
I don't know, Guy.. it's pretty funny there, too.

Ty Conklin's a guy I really know nothing about off the ice. Good read.

Old
04-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Ty Conklin's a guy I really know nothing about off the ice. Good read.
He's a good guy, honest and straight forward. He's pretty quiet though, doesn't say a whole lot most of the time and rarely shows a whole lot of emotion either way.

In fact, the biggest reaction I ever got out of him was when I was sitting next to him in the locker room and Scott Howson was there and I think Jim Matheson (but it could have been Rob Tychowski from the SUN)... anyway, I brought up the topic of the NCAA conference playoffs and asked him if he thought New Hampshire (his old school) would take out Providence. He was quite animated about that subject and who would win the National tournament and even went so far as to say "anybody but Boston College, nobody likes Boston College except Boston College" which I thought was pretty funny.

I like him and I know that many of the players feel confident with him in goal. (see the rookie review when it comes out).

Old
04-13-2004, 04:10 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

I just love these little off the topic interviews...Guy, you should do more of these! They're great!
Most of the Oiler coverage we get are from the games and post game interviews where the players really have to watch what they're saying. I think I can speak for all of us fans that we also like to listen to these off the wall comments as well as hear about their lockerroom hijinks. Afterall, they're people like us, except with a different job, and its great to get to know the players on a personal level.

Old
04-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Obsessed

Great work Guy! Ty seems to have a good sense of humor and a solid outlook on how the media operates. How does his coments make you feel? Are you worried about how your columns will be construed amongst the players? If you want to write about someone who is under performing and then want to get an interview or a comment from them. Does Ty's reaction affect how you will approach these guys?

Old
04-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Great work Guy! Ty seems to have a good sense of humor and a solid outlook on how the media operates. How does his coments make you feel? Are you worried about how your columns will be construed amongst the players? If you want to write about someone who is under performing and then want to get an interview or a comment from them. Does Ty's reaction affect how you will approach these guys?
No, like Ty said: we all have a job to do and we have to call'em as we see'm. A story like the one for the Sports Scene is really just a snapshot in time anyway. At that time, it did seem like the Oilers were done, it wasn't my fault or bad writing that three days later the team was rejuvenated by trading Salo and getting Nedved and Markkanen.

I think most people recognize that. If I was writing for a Daily paper, it would be harder but probably even more important to be as objective as possible. My goal though would be to point out the good as much as the bad, I sometimes think that some writers seem to focus mostly on the negative because it's often more attractive a story. I disagree.

Old
04-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Awesome stuff, Guy.

It's cool to get a glimpse of some of these guy's personalities...............
here you go agian, fawning all over Guy. Now I know who Matts was talking about.

BTW, another great story Guy. It is only a matter of time..

Old
04-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
here you go agian, fawning all over Guy. Now I know who Matts was talking about.

BTW, another great story Guy. It is only a matter of time..
I don't think even Matts knows what he's talking about.... (just kidding Matts)

Old
04-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
He's a good guy, honest and straight forward. He's pretty quiet though, doesn't say a whole lot most of the time and rarely shows a whole lot of emotion either way.

In fact, the biggest reaction I ever got out of him was when I was sitting next to him in the locker room and Scott Howson was there and I think Jim Matheson (but it could have been Rob Tychowski from the SUN)... anyway, I brought up the topic of the NCAA conference playoffs and asked him if he thought New Hampshire (his old school) would take out Providence. He was quite animated about that subject and who would win the National tournament and even went so far as to say "anybody but Boston College, nobody likes Boston College except Boston College" which I thought was pretty funny.

I like him and I know that many of the players feel confident with him in goal. (see the rookie review when it comes out).
That interview was hilarious Guy. Thanks! :lol

FYI.......
regarding that BC quote by Ty, if you follow NCAA hockey, specifically Hockey East....then you'd know that they ALL say that! Well except the BC Eagles and their fans.

He'd be a fun person to talk UNH hockey with. I might have to take him for a little "stroll down memory lane" and talk to him about some of those stellar (and not so stellar) performances that I remember him having at UNH. I think I might even have some of it on tape in my video library.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Attaboy Guy!

Closed Thread