HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else hate Parent as much as I do?

Old
11-15-2009, 11:14 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Let me guess Pika, you would rather have Bodrov on our blueline!?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:27 AM
JSTAFF

bahahahahahahahahahahaha. That is all.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
So just in the past few months, we've had...

- JVR sucks he's going to be a bust he should be traded.
- Richards isn't a good captain or leader.
- Gagne sucks and is a floater.
- Coburn is a total failure.
- Carter sucks and isn't giving any effort out there (when he's on pace for a 100 point season).
- And now, Parent sucks and is a failure (posted after his first game back from an injury playing with a guy who's in his 2nd career NHL game).

I mean, I won't deny that I overreact sometimes, but this is just absolutely ridiculous.

Don't forget, Prongers over the hill.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm not worried about the "injury prone" part because it's early in Parent's career. And honestly, the injuries he suffered have been a problem with his hip and his groin. It hasn't been his knees or his shoulders or his back or anything like that. And as others have pointed out, he's played in 63 NHL games so far. Usually, most defensemen hit their stride one they play around 180 NHL games. So, if anyone is expecting Parent to be the next Hatcher in terms of defensive play, it isn't going to happen quite yet.
Ahh but you see I think at the young age of 22, if your constantly having injuries is NOT a good thing. At a young age, you shouldnt always be getting injured.

At 20/21, played 53 games for the Phantoms while then being called up for the Flyers. Played 22 games and Im pretty sure missed 7 other games due to injury.

At 21/22 he has surgery due to an injury missing a ton of games, only finishing the season with 31 games played.

At 22/23 so far out of 16 games, he has played 8 due to another injury. The long week+ of no games helped him not miss more.

I like the guy, but before we go and start trading Carle/Coburn for Parent can take the top 4 job, we need to make sure that he wont just get hurt again. Cause then we have Bartulis/Syvret/OKT playing in the top 4. I do believe he is hyped alittle tooo much. I think he will be a good #4 guy. He really needs to work on his puck control and his first pass out. You does play very well defensively but you will need other intangibles to go with that.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:47 AM
mm6492

I understand people hating/loving Parent

But if one more guy/girl takes a shot at Matt Stairs, you can come see me about it

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I understand people hating/loving Parent

But if one more guy/girl takes a shot at Matt Stairs, you can come see me about it
I just looked up Matt Stairs on baseball-reference and he's only 5'9.

Jeebus.

Oh, and he sucks.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ahh but you see I think at the young age of 22, if your constantly having injuries is NOT a good thing. At a young age, you shouldnt always be getting injured.

At 20/21, played 53 games for the Phantoms while then being called up for the Flyers. Played 22 games and Im pretty sure missed 7 other games due to injury.

At 21/22 he has surgery due to an injury missing a ton of games, only finishing the season with 31 games played.

At 22/23 so far out of 16 games, he has played 8 due to another injury. The long week+ of no games helped him not miss more.

I like the guy, but before we go and start trading Carle/Coburn for Parent can take the top 4 job, we need to make sure that he wont just get hurt again. Cause then we have Bartulis/Syvret/OKT playing in the top 4. I do believe he is hyped alittle tooo much. I think he will be a good #4 guy. He really needs to work on his puck control and his first pass out. You does play very well defensively but you will need other intangibles to go with that.
I think more than anything, the way the injuries have been handled has been the problem with Parent. Honestly, I wonder if after the hip surgery he had, did they rush him back into the lineup because of Sbisa. It certainly seemed like they rushed Jones back into the lineup and I wonder if they did the same with Parent. At the very least, Parent and Jones should have been practicing at least a month when they were at 100% before being put into the lineup. They didn't have a training camp and it reflected.

For the rest of Parent's injuries, they've been groin related. Don Cherry showed something interesting on HNIC last night and it had to do with a slight area on the hockey pants which have a velcro piece that tears away and it doesn't restrict the leg. It's supposed to help prevent groin injuries and from what I've seen with the Flyers, no one wears those kinds of hockey pants. It's something the team should look into.

I'm not advocating any sort of trade of anyone just yet as it pertains to Parent. However, I really wonder what the franchise plans are with him. It wasn't that long ago that he and Marc Staal were supposed to be defensive rocks for their respective teams and while Staal has definitely taken the leap forward, the same can't be said for Parent.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm not advocating any sort of trade of anyone just yet as it pertains to Parent. However, I really wonder what the franchise plans are with him. It wasn't that long ago that he and Marc Staal were supposed to be defensive rocks for their respective teams and while Staal has definitely taken the leap forward, the same can't be said for Parent.
That's what playing a 120 more NHL games will do for you.

I would assume that the plans with Parent are that he will be a stable defensive-D for this team for years to come. He doesn't have the offense to be your "front line" guy, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that the organization doesn't expect big things from him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's what playing a 120 more NHL games will do for you.

I would assume that the plans with Parent are that he will be a stable defensive-D for this team for years to come. He doesn't have the offense to be your "front line" guy, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that the organization doesn't expect big things from him.
To be honest, from a GM point of view, having a solid defender that isn't going to put up a ton of points and who has some questions about health can be exploited to the teams benefit. Parent is a very useful player that really doesn't stand much of a chance of demanding a large salary. In a cap era that's a big positive just so long as his injuries don't prevent him from progressing as a player or missing substantial playoff time.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
To be honest, from a GM point of view, having a solid defender that isn't going to put up a ton of points and who has some questions about health can be exploited to the teams benefit. Parent is a very useful player that really doesn't stand much of a chance of demanding a large salary. In a cap era that's a big positive just so long as his injuries don't prevent him from progressing as a player or missing substantial playoff time.
I'm not too alarmed about the injuries either. It's stuff like knees and whatnot that really concerns me with lingering...not willing to say it's not just some bad luck to this point.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
UseYourAllusion

Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
lol, I'm not sure I've ever seen JXC turn down a chance to agitate...
In this case I think agreeing w/ OP is a form of agitation.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
weak.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
So just in the past few months, we've had...

- JVR sucks he's going to be a bust he should be traded.
- Richards isn't a good captain or leader.
- Gagne sucks and is a floater.
- Coburn is a total failure.
- Carter sucks and isn't giving any effort out there (when he's on pace for a 100 point season).
- And now, Parent sucks and is a failure (posted after his first game back from an injury playing with a guy who's in his 2nd career NHL game).

I mean, I won't deny that I overreact sometimes, but this is just absolutely ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
Don't forget, Prongers over the hill.
Pikachu, you FAIL!!! I saw this late last night before bed, and refused to comment because I was so annoyed.

Plus, I wanted to see what JSTAFF would say first, I figured it would be funnier to comment after him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
bahahahahahahahahahahaha. That is all.
And there it is, haha.

We should just laugh at this thread and all the other PANIC BUTTON OMFG THE FLYERS SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH threads and hit ignore.

If you want to discuss Parent's shortcomings as a defender, then by all means, please don't call your thread "I hate this guy"

Quote:
A guy like parent is a perfect, cheap bottom pairing guy. Defensive guy of your team who does his job cheap and isn't a liability. Let's look at some other bottom pairing guys who are the opposite of Parent.

Randy Jones - expensive and sucked, plus not good defensively, Anti-Parent
Modry - hahahahahhahhahah
Alberts - not as good as Parent, more expensive, Parent's ceiling is higher, still decent tho, not the best example really

add the fact in that Parent is expected to play with crap or rookies, and I think Parent is progressing reasonably well

The problem with the cap is that the Flyers are going to have holes. The best they can do is sign the players they need and fill in the cheaper spots with the best role players possible and play their ***** off.

Lappy, Parent, Asham, Betts and the gang are fine roleplayers.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:17 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Pikachu, you FAIL!!! I saw this late last night before bed, and refused to comment because I was so annoyed.

Plus, I wanted to see what JSTAFF would say first, I figured it would be funnier to comment after him.

Hilarious

And there it is, haha.

We should just laugh at this thread and all the other PANIC BUTTON OMFG THE FLYERS SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH threads and hit ignore.

If you want to discuss Parent's shortcomings as a defender, then by all means, please don't call your thread "I hate this guy"

A guy like parent is a perfect, cheap bottom pairing guy. Defensive guy of your team who does his job cheap and isn't a liability. Let's look at some other bottom pairing guys who are the opposite of Parent.

Randy Jones - expensive and sucked, plus not good defensively, Anti-Parent
Modry - hahahahahhahhahah
Alberts - not as good as Parent, more expensive, Parent's ceiling is higher, still decent tho, not the best example really

add the fact in that Parent is expected to play with crap or rookies, and I think Parent is progressing reasonably well

The problem with the cap is that the Flyers are going to have holes. The best they can do is sign the players they need and fill in the cheaper spots with the best role players possible and play their ***** off.

Lappy, Parent, Asham, Betts and the gang are fine roleplayers.
Im not even close to pushing the panic button. Its just that I have hated the way he has played. And JSTAFF would have Parent's babies if he could. I know that.

Also, I am not sure whether JXC was being serious when he agreed with me or not having taken a look at what everyone else has said.

As for the Carter comment, I didnt mean that he sucks as in he cant score goals and put up points and cant play the PK. I dont like his attitude ever. He has the same shot all the time. Gives up a lot on many plays. His effort is useless sometimes. I just cant stand it. I know he brings a lot of value with his name, which I hope we can trade him by the time it comes to resign him for a number 1 goalie if Emery starts to falter for some reason, or just a bunch of high draft picks.

Hover, I have seen Bodrov play, along with his bad attitude, he doesnt bring much to the Flyers so, no, I wouldnt want him here.

I kinda hope Parent can play with MA Bourdon. Bourdon brings an offensive aspect to his game which might help Parent a bit more. Even Marshall could work as Marshall is also pretty defensive.

Dont get me wrong, I want to like Parent enough because I dont want him to have potential and end there. I know he is young and needs to build and I think he will find that last pairing Dman that fits his style. But as of late, I dont like the way he has played.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
supa scoop

They only gripe I've had with Parent is that he gets out-muscled a lot. Like others have said, hes young and will never command a salary that will handcuff us in any way so I don't really see a problem with him. His game will improve in time.

I think any talk of trading Carter is ridiculous too. It's true, sometimes he looks like he's floating a bit but he makes a lot of good subtle plays that I could see going un-noticed. Whether or not he was "noticeable" doing it, he still put up 46 goals last year... good for second in the league behind arguable the best goal scorer in the world right now. Let's not write the guy off cause he doesn't dominate games yet.

I just cannot fathom wanting to trade a guy with that mix of size and skills, while the team is doing well and he is surrounded by great players than can pick up the slack when he struggles... especially for picks or a goalie. What help will draft picks be in the short term? It sucks that we have given up a lot of them, but it was in order to ice a championship-calibre team. Management wants to win now, not acquire talent that will be ready in 3-5 years. As for a #1 goalie, it's early but Emery is playing great, is young, and seems to love it in Philly. Our need now is a reliable backup so Ray doesn't get burnt before playoffs.

Last edited by supa scoop: 11-15-2009 at 03:47 PM.
supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:46 PM
mm6492

Quote:
I just looked up Matt Stairs on baseball-reference and he's only 5'9.

Jeebus.

Oh, and he sucks.

SWING OF A CHAMP!!!!!

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:50 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa scoop View Post
They only gripe I've had with Parent is that he gets out-muscled a lot. Like others have said, hes young and will never command a salary that will handcuff us in any way so I don't really see a problem with him. His game will improve in time.

I think any talk of trading Carter is ridiculous too. It's true, sometimes he looks like he's floating a bit but he makes a lot of good subtle plays that I could see going un-noticed. Whether or not he was "noticeable" doing it, he still put up 46 goals last year... good for second in the league behind arguable the best goal scorer in the world right now. Let's not write the guy off cause he doesn't dominate games yet.

I just cannot fathom wanting to trade a guy with that mix of size and skills, while the team is doing well and he is surrounded by great players than can pick up the slack when he struggles... especially for picks or a goalie. What help will draft picks be in the short term? It sucks that we have given up a lot of them, but it was in order to ice a championship-calibre team. Management wants to win now, not acquire talent that will be ready in 3-5 years. As for a #1 goalie, it's early but Emery is playing great, is young, and seems to love it in Philly. Our need now is a reliable backup so Ray doesn't get burnt before playoffs.
Problem is, as much as Carter can do, he will command a salary that is miles and miles above what is probably logical. I wouldnt be surprised if he wanted a 6.5 mil figure, which I wouldnt be happy to pay him. And given our cap struggles of late, I would think we could get another young top player or more picks. I am not saying trade him right this instant. What I am saying is, when it comes down to him resigning, and he will probably play better than he has ever played being his contract year, it would be an opportune time to trade him to possibly fix a few holes we have down the road.

Old
11-15-2009, 04:07 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

This thread turns into an internet dick-measuring contest in 3....2....1....

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I can probably think of 29 other teams in the NHL that would take Ryan Parent over some of their defensemen. As for Jeff Carter... wow.

You're on your own on this one.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Parent just don't understand.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa scoop View Post
They only gripe I've had with Parent is that he gets out-muscled a lot.
Parent is big and strong, he has plenty of power but is afraid to use it. He was more physical back in the minors, even did well in a couple of fights. OKT should teach him how to throw his weight around, as they will play a lot together in the future.

But this is a silly discussion, Parent is certainly among the best of the bottom Ds. He's coming back from injury and wants to be careful out there. Remember he pushed things too hard a while ago and the groin problems returned.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I just find it strange anyone would bother to complain about someone in their first game back from an injury

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I just find it strange anyone would bother to complain about someone in their first game back from an injury
When paired with guy with 2 career NHL games.

The only thing I can come up...

PR10 is anti-Canadian, and getting in the mood for the Olympics ahead of schedule.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
When paired with guy with 2 career NHL games.

The only thing I can come up...

PR10 is anti-Canadian, and getting in the mood for the Olympics ahead of schedule.
Opus, you know me. I love Canada. I would do anything to be there as compared to Jersey.

However, French Canadians are a diferent story

Old
11-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Opus, you know me. I love Canada. I would do anything to be there as compared to Jersey.
I'm just teasin' ya man, I know you love Canada.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote