HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Anyone else hate Parent as much as I do?

Old
11-15-2009, 04:41 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
This thread turns into an internet dick-measuring contest in 3....2....1....
best post in the thread

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:52 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
When paired with guy with 2 career NHL games.

The only thing I can come up...

PR10 is anti-Canadian, and getting in the mood for the Olympics ahead of schedule.

WARNING: NAUGHTY LANGUAGE

(I don't really mean that, just was the first thing to come to mind.)

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
WARNING: NAUGHTY LANGUAGE

(I don't really mean that, just was the first thing to come to mind.)
WIN!

THIS is the best post in the thread.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
WIN!

THIS is the best post in the thread.
In this thread, that's not saying much. But it does bring a gleeful light to this thread.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
HappyKappy

[QUOTE=FlyersRKings;22134790]Carter is looking like the player from two years ago. Looks like teams have learned how to shut him down coming up the side. His effectiveness has definitely diminished now teams are finally starting to specifically target him when he's out there.

On the Parent front, I'll still take him over Coburn anyday. He has the potential to be a shut-down defenseman, we have enough of the 'offensive-minded' d-men and this isn't 1986. His back-end play has been worse than Parent's in my mind, and it seems Ryan hasn't even played half as many games.[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh more than anything other than the Hatcher make-up thread. Are you for real? Parent's good for what he is, a 5th-6th defenseman who could possibly move into an elite shut-down role. That's about all we can hope for.

HappyKappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
From PR10's POV, having JXC in total agreement with him is a fail so epic, it's full of win.

Awesome

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Im not even close to pushing the panic button. Its just that I have hated the way he has played. And JSTAFF would have Parent's babies if he could. I know that.
There are a LOT of young guys on this board who are emotionally invested in Ryan Parent, future potential first pairing solid shut down stud. We have been hearing that ad nauseum since the Flyers acquired him and the guys here who have perpetrated (or just midlessly parroted) it just aren't going to give it up that easy.

I like the Injury Excuse - like that EVER mattered for Mike Rathje or Derian Hatcher or, errrr, Randy Jones. Now suddenly playing like **** in the 3rd period can be excused by being checked in the 1st. Astounding.

And I like the Third Pairing Excuse, too:

Quote:
"oh he's matched up with a third pairing guy and that hurts him!"
What was the old rejoinder to that? Oh yeah -

Quote:
"but because he is third pairing he is matched against the other teams third and fourth lines so it washes!"
Lots of two fork meals for some folks here.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:22 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
This.

and This.
Matt Stairs ****ing sucks
No, he just faced a real closer in Mo' this year .

Anyway Carter pisses me off too he seems so useless at times when he goes on 12 games without a goal. But jesus c'mon man?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
I didn't read through this retarded thread, but if you expected Parent to be a Coburn-type player than

1) you never saw him paly
2) you didnt pay any attention what so ever to anything that was ever said about him

Epic fail

And lol @ the Carter hate coming back. Get a grip

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
Here you go with this 'type of player' argument again that I just don't agree with. To say that he works just as hard because he's a 'natural athlete' is a cop out. Ovechkin is a sniper who works exceptionally hard...why is it ok to just say "Oh, well if you're a sniper, you don't really have to work hard because you 'know' where to be at the right time"? Why do we not use the same standard of judging for every player?

You act like it's not OK to criticize some players because of the 'type' of player they are and that some players just seem to float out there because they're opportunists. Effort is not limited to grinders or playmakers. I'm not arguing that he's not got a ton of natural talent that makes him an excellent player....but imagine if we saw the same hustle out of him that we see from Ovechkin...a 120 point season wouldn't be out of the question.

HA, as a side note, it's funny that all of a sudden a 120 point season has become exceptional. Remember when Gretzky had 215 points in his best season? Not criticizing you, just interesting to see how much the game has changed since the mid-eighties...those numbers just boggle my mind....
This argument is beyond retarded. Ovechkin isn't that great of a defensive player. He hangs high a lot and looks to go the other way. But you know what, that makes sense because thats putting his skills to their best effect. Carter is a good defensive player (as a center no less) and scores at a great clip. The guy is about as good as you can get without being a superstar.

Carter is a very good skater, hes big and has an effortless stride. Its what makes him a better skater than Richards and Hartnell and along with him using his skills effectively thats unfortunately what makes people who don't know anything like you bash him

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
In this thread, that's not saying much. But it does bring a gleeful light to this thread.
I still wish the clip had the Canadian ambassador going "Hey! **** you buddy!" after him. They cut that out.

BTW, decadentia, OT, you still kick ass for continuing to have the Mike Patton avatar.

Old
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
I still wish the clip had the Canadian ambassador going "Hey! **** you buddy!" after him. They cut that out.

BTW, decadentia, OT, you still kick ass for continuing to have the Mike Patton avatar.

kinda dirty

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:18 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
"Exceptionally"?

Crosby had four goals and four assists in six games.
Of those 4 goals 2 were on the PP and 1 was an EN.

Meaning Crosby had 1 ES goal against Parent-Timonen in 6 games.

Facts are FUN!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:23 PM
decadentia

Quote:

"You sir are a d#$k!" Good times with South Park

Haha thanks, I actually used the Tom Waits one UseYourAllusion has before too (love that picture). Faith No More is actually back together now, supposedly recording for next year.

/OT and back to putting the hate on Parent.

Last edited by decadentia: 11-15-2009 at 11:28 PM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:11 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
maybe if Ryan Parents name was Alaxander Parentov Pikachu would think he was the greatest defenseman ever.
and JXC has no room to talk about some of us overrating some of the Flyer players because he certianly goes the other way with the negativity.
Anyway, I am not ready to give up on Parent just yet. the guy hasnt been healthy IMO for the last 2 seasons(this one included) anyone seriously think he ever got over that injury last season?
I honestly dont get the Carter hate. what does he have to do? 46 goals last year, averging over a point a game this season.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post

Haha thanks, I actually used the Tom Waits one UseYourAllusion has before too (love that picture). Faith No More is actually back together now, supposedly recording for next year.
OT: Good to know. I still will stop to listen to FNM songs whenever my iPod randomly hits them. I love Tomahawk too. Last I checked, they had no plans to tour in the US (yet). But a new album would be awesome, and undoubtedly would lead to a US Tour.

Old
11-16-2009, 08:38 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:43 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Prediction: in 8 weeks when Gagne comes back, after game 1 Pika will make a thread complaining that Gagne sucks

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
The guy is a good for nothing waste of a defenseman who does nothing but get beat all the time. Hasnt handled the puck well at all.

For all the hype that was brought with him I cant find a single positive in this guy.

Am I the only one who hates Parent or are there more people I just dont know about.

BTW, Carter sucks too.
Sorry bro but Im gonna have to strongly disagree. Especially on the Carter comment. For Real?

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
maybe if Ryan Parents name was Alaxander Parentov Pikachu would think he was the greatest defenseman ever.
and JXC has no room to talk about some of us overrating some of the Flyer players because he certianly goes the other way with the negativity.
Anyway, I am not ready to give up on Parent just yet. the guy hasnt been healthy IMO for the last 2 seasons(this one included) anyone seriously think he ever got over that injury last season?
I honestly dont get the Carter hate. what does he have to do? 46 goals last year, averging over a point a game this season.
Welcome To Negladelphia. A city where goodness gets forgotten quicker than calorie counts. You scored 5000 points last year? Won a Cup? You havent done jack this year so ****!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!!

Calm down kiddies they havent played many games damn. Winning record, playing well, who cares who ****ing scores? Carter, JvR, Betts, an old lady, I dont care, if it counts for the Flyers, and it helps tyhem win, then I dont care.

Parent, has had injury issues, and part of that I will always blame the training staff for, seems once a player has an injury in philly it never goes away. With that said, he really hasnt had much time to get in rhythm which matters, and also this team seemed to play helter skelter defense most of his career.

Old
11-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Calm down kiddies they havent played many games damn. Winning record, playing well, who cares who ****ing scores? Carter, JvR, Betts, an old lady, I dont care, if it counts for the Flyers, and it helps tyhem win, then I dont care.
Modry isn't on the team anymore, dude.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Modry isn't on the team anymore, dude.
Touche Val Touche.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
we're still talking about this?

and to be fair, matt stairs was brutal in 09. batted under .200 during the regular season. if he didnt have that homer against broxton in 08 nobody would give 2 ***** about matt stairs. but since he did, he'll always have a place in my heart.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Since when did this become a Russia bashing thread?

In my original post I did not say anything about how I want a Russian defenseman on this team and even rejected the idea of getting Bodrov here.

Am I missing something?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:32 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
you forgot how much you love russian players

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote