HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Improve the Rangers

Old
11-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I'd have a fire sale personally.

Issue #1 to address = TOUGHNESS

teams that out work and physically pound the opposition on a game by game basis, along with some talent of course, WIN

Dubinsky, Callahan, Henrik, and DZ are the only untouchables imo. Dubi and Cally could be had in the right deal obviously but losing them doesn't help our main priority.

- Waive Brashear
- Trade Lisin, Kotalik, Prospal, Higgins, Drury, Rozi for certain. Boyle and Voros have so little value, forget trading them.
- We're stuck with Redden, probably Drury too

Absolutly NO Kovalchuk, LecV, etc. NO big names! I'd trade Gabby if I could.

You would want more toughness but waive Brashear? I'd waive Boyle and Voros before Brashear. Besides the toughness, you'd even trade Gaborik?

What I would do is buy-out Drury, trade Higgans and a 1st and 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk. Then sign Kovalchuk to a big contract. Why not? He's not a Redden or a Drury. I'd then figure out a way to get rid of Rozsival and trade him to anywhere that is willing to take him for a solid, veteran defensman who would be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year so Sanguenetti can have a spot next year.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1994 View Post
Redden or drury + higgins+ McD for lecaviler
Posted via Mobile Device
I think if TB continues to be unhappy with his performance and is really feeling the pressure to move the cash we could pull the following

Roszival, McD, Higgins, 2nd '10, 2nd '11

for Lecavalier, Krajicek

The problem this creates (or any deal with lecav that doesn't have drury involved) is that we are really limited in terms of cap-space for the subsequent years until drury comes off the books. having 3 7mill+ forwards is not really a recipe for success in a cap world.

To the guy who said
Drury, Callahan, Gilroy
for
Martin Havlat

Where the hell is Minny finding $6MM in capdollars to make that kind of deal? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Like others have said, I would love to take SOB/Bieksa off the hands of vancouver. we need dmen with bigger balls to complement the skill of gilroy/mdz. Staal and Girardi need to stay in a more defensive role and Redden can be a hybrid offensive/defensive dman - I really like how his play has been improving as of late.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:39 PM
NYR Viper

Honestly, I want no part of Lecavelier just because of that contract. It is ridiculous.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Cioran

Ales Hemsky, on the first line with Prospal and Gaborik would win us a cup. He would make the perfect fit for the Rangers

Cioran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Honestly, I want no part of Lecavelier just because of that contract. It is ridiculous.

I don't even think Sather would enjoy that type of contract.

Old
11-15-2009, 08:49 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
You would want more toughness but waive Brashear? I'd waive Boyle and Voros before Brashear. Besides the toughness, you'd even trade Gaborik?

What I would do is buy-out Drury, trade Higgans and a 1st and 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk. Then sign Kovalchuk to a big contract. Why not? He's not a Redden or a Drury. I'd then figure out a way to get rid of Rozsival and trade him to anywhere that is willing to take him for a solid, veteran defensman who would be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year so Sanguenetti can have a spot next year.
I like the idea of giving Sangs a spot and acquiring Kovalchuk but there are a couple of problems. Buying out Drury may not be worth it after all.

Quote:
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,216,667
2011-2012: $4,216,667
2012-2013: $2,166,667
2013-2014: $2,166,667
I mean yeah, buying him out may help a little. But an extra 2 million a year may not be the best option, especially if we are trying to get another offensive scoring threat.

As for Kovalchuk, it seems really unrealistic to trade for him. The best chance we have is to wait for him to hit FA (if he does) and if he doesn't attempt to make a trade for a cheaper option. Signing Kovy during the offseason does depend on losing Redden + Roszival. We need money to sign both Staal and Girardi as well.

Also, if we're trading for Kovalchuk, the Thrashers are going to want Staal. Is it worth losing a player who is possibly going to be the leader of our defense for a decade? Sure we have plenty of defense in the farm system, but I'm not sure if any have the potential Staal does.

Anyway, if we are making a pitch for Kovalchuk, we would need to figure that we would need to at least pay him 8 or 9 million, since other teams will offer him money. If we're trading I would see something along the lines of:

To NYR:
Kovalchuk

To ATL:
Callahan
Staal
1st in '10
Grachev
McD/Sangs

That's just for starters, I'm sure Atlanta might ask for more.

Would acquiring Kovy really help this team? Absolutely. Is it most beneficial for this team for the future, most likely not. We would need to suffer the growing pains of more young d-man, and we would lose some parts of our young core.

EDIT- After looking at that, I admit that Grachev and McD should most likely be taken out, since he only has 1 year left in his contract.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I like the idea of giving Sangs a spot and acquiring Kovalchuk but there are a couple of problems. Buying out Drury may not be worth it after all.

I mean yeah, buying him out may help a little. But an extra 2 million a year may not be the best option, especially if we are trying to get another offensive scoring threat.

As for Kovalchuk, it seems really unrealistic to trade for him. The best chance we have is to wait for him to hit FA (if he does) and if he doesn't attempt to make a trade for a cheaper option. Signing Kovy during the offseason does depend on losing Redden + Roszival. We need money to sign both Staal and Girardi as well.

Also, if we're trading for Kovalchuk, the Thrashers are going to want Staal. Is it worth losing a player who is possibly going to be the leader of our defense for a decade? Sure we have plenty of defense in the farm system, but I'm not sure if any have the potential Staal does.

Anyway, if we are making a pitch for Kovalchuk, we would need to figure that we would need to at least pay him 8 or 9 million, since other teams will offer him money. If we're trading I would see something along the lines of:

To NYR:
Kovalchuk

To ATL:
Callahan
Staal
1st in '10
Grachev
McD/Sangs

That's just for starters, I'm sure Atlanta might ask for more.

Would acquiring Kovy really help this team? Absolutely. Is it most beneficial for this team for the future, most likely not. We would need to suffer the growing pains of more young d-man, and we would lose some parts of our young core.

2 mill. isn't a lot, in my opinion. But, for Sather it is. haha
Looking at it again, that $4 mill. number sure does look a lot.

I guess you can do either: Trade Drury or Rozsival to open up some space. Then go after Kovalchuk.

Stepping backwards, I would of traded Dubinsky, a 1st round pick and a 2nd for Dany Heatley. Then we would more than likely forget about all of this.

Old
11-15-2009, 09:04 PM
gilles lupien

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Also, if we're trading for Kovalchuk, the Thrashers are going to want Staal. Is it worth losing a player who is possibly going to be the leader of our defense for a decade?
Huh? Staal being the leader of the defence for a decade? No way. With Gilroy and DZ here now? Staal is perfect trade-material. Rangers can get someone good for him in a package trade. He's not lousy by any stretch but he's expendable for sure, for the right trade.

gilles lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:11 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles lupien View Post
Huh? Staal being the leader of the defence for a decade? No way. With Gilroy and DZ here now? Staal is perfect trade-material. Rangers can get someone good for him in a package trade. He's not lousy by any stretch but he's expendable for sure, for the right trade.
Why don't we just bring in 6 forwards and cut all of our defensemen. As long as they can score, who cares about defense?

11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Why don't we just bring in 6 forwards and cut all of our defensemen. As long as they can score, who cares about defense?

I think if Kovalchuk is what we are getting Staal is more than expendable.

We have McD in the system plus someone named Shaone Morrisonn is becoming a free agent... He can certainly do what Staal does...and be more physical.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I wouldn't make any blockbuster deals right now.

However, i would look to improve the team based on the style of play Tortorella likes to employ.

I.E. fast skaters, hard workers.

I would have a list of untouchable players:

Lundqvist
Gaborik
Del Zotto
Staal
Gilroy
Kreider
Stepan
Werek
McDonagh
Sanguinetti
Grachev

After that, anyone is movable.

The players i would target for now:

I would contact Vancouver about Mason Raymond.

Edmonton about Patrick O'Sullivan or Andrew Cogliano.

I'd look into that rumored deal for Andrei Kostitsyn.

Guys who would supply secondary scoring.

Later in the year, at the trade deadline i would focus on the bigger fishes, again keeping a smaller list of untouchables. And going after a top line center, a legit top line center. Specifically Brad Richards. He would be my #1 target.

I wouldn't dare go after Kovalchuk until July 1st if he isn't already resigned with Atlanta by then.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I think we shouldn't give up any huge assets in a blockbuster deal. No matter what we do this team has way too many problems to be a cup contender, when one thing goes right the other doesn't (that's not say we can't be and aren't a good team already). Teams like Columbus and St. Louis are taking their time and beginning to win, all the while developing their youngsters. I know that it took those teams like 6 years to get where they are now, but we are way ahead of simply starting from scratch. We have been fortunate enough to get prospects like Grachev and Bourque in later rounds, and also gotten some nice prospects through trades, like McDonagh. Our first rounders are finally coming around and beginning to mix with our improving youth on the team. I'm not saying they will all pan out, but in a few years we could have something like this:

Gaborik Anisimov Kreider
Grachev Stepan Werek
Bourque Dubinsky Callahan
Byers Boyle Soryal

Staal- Del Zotto
McDonagh- Sanguinetti
Gilroy- Girardi/Sauer

Let's worry about Redden and Rozy in a few seasons, because right now Redden is playing very well and I don't think anyone will take Rozsival's salary unless he turns it around.

Lundvist
Johnson

That is a contender that fixes most of our problems and is built from within. Players like Dubinky, Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle, MDZ, Staal and Girardi are proven NHLers at this point. Players like Sanguinetti, Grachev, Soryal, Byers and Sauer are right on the verge, and some of them could already step in. I would be incredibly surprised if all of them didn't become NHL regulars within the next 2-3 years. I am very high on Werek and McDonagh and feel both will become NHLers, even if not in the role expected at draft day. Kreider, as many have mentioned is still raw but if he pans out I see a legit, goalscoring first line winger. That's a very good team, and not worth trading for a guy like Lecavalier, who is a good player, but looks absolutely horrible out there right now.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:32 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post

Brash is not toughness. He's a bum. Boyle and Voros stink too, but somebody has to play on the 4th line.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:34 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I think we shouldn't give up any huge assets in a blockbuster deal. No matter what we do this team has way too many problems to be a cup contender, when one thing goes right the other doesn't (that's not say we can't be and aren't a good team already). Teams like Columbus and St. Louis are taking their time and beginning to win, all the while developing their youngsters. I know that it took those teams like 6 years to get where they are now, but we are way ahead of simply starting from scratch. We have been fortunate enough to get prospects like Grachev and Bourque in later rounds, and also gotten some nice prospects through trades, like McDonagh. Our first rounders are finally coming around and beginning to mix with our improving youth on the team. I'm not saying they will all pan out, but in a few years we could have something like this:

Gaborik Anisimov Kreider
Grachev Stepan Werek
Bourque Dubinsky Callahan

Byers Boyle Soryal

Staal- Del Zotto
McDonagh- SanguinettiGilroy- Girardi/Sauer

Let's worry about Redden and Rozy in a few seasons, because right now Redden is playing very well and I don't think anyone will take Rozsival's salary unless he turns it around.

Lundvist
Johnson

That is a contender that fixes most of our problems and is built from within. Players like Dubinky, Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle, MDZ, Staal and Girardi are proven NHLers at this point. Players like Sanguinetti, Grachev, Soryal, Byers and Sauer are right on the verge, and some of them could already step in. I would be incredibly surprised if all of them didn't become NHL regulars within the next 2-3 years. I am very high on Werek and McDonagh and feel both will become NHLers, even if not in the role expected at draft day. Kreider, as many have mentioned is still raw but if he pans out I see a legit, goalscoring first line winger. That's a very good team, and not worth trading for a guy like Lecavalier, who is a good player, but looks absolutely horrible out there right now.
This will never happen. Glen Sather is our GM.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:40 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR PowerForward View Post
team needs another go to guy who can pot 30g+ to support Gaborik.

I'm surprised Sather didn't pursue Healtey more, he's the real deal, even
Kessler.

This team also needs another degree of nastiness. A PF that can play the body.
Absolutely. I said it in a previous post. All of the top teams in the league have 2 superstars up front. Again, Detroit has Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Pens have Malkin/Crosby, Hawks have Toews/Kane, Caps have Semin/Ovechkin...etc...etc.

However, I'm not willing to trade Staal like others proposed. Look at the way he played against the Sens in last night's game. Tortorella used Staal the way he should be used and that's minimizing scoring chances from the other team's star forwards. Staal should not be expending energy taking the puck up the ice and trying to go around people. He's not nor never will be Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey. But for the most part he was huge in neutralizing dangerous offensive players like Alfredsson, Michalek, and Spezza.

Staal's stick work, body positioning, physical play, and just his ability to play defense in this league is as promising as any young sniper's (like Tavares) ability to play offense. It usually takes defense men a bit longer to mature and fully develop when compared to forwards. Staal is only 22 or 23. You do not trade this kid at all. That's my opinion. I seriously hope most agree.

Del Zotto and Staal could be the next Leetch/Beukeboom tandem. To me, both are untouchable, along with the only other players who give us a chance to win a hockey game (Lundqvist/Gaborik).

Drury's contract prevents the team from bringing in more high priced talent up front. Then there's Rozsival and Redden's contract's as well. No one will want these players in a trade (unless we regress and give up the farm).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Joe Thornton.
it will never happen though, but hey, I can dream

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:50 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I would improve the Rangers by using patience and time to develop our young core of players. I would improve the Rangers by not spending every single cap dollar the second it becomes available. I would keep the Marc Staals and first round picks instead of trading them for pending UFAs. I would wait for either the opportunity to move or the contracts to expire for Drury, Redden, Roszival and add complimentary players instead of declining vets who somehow are meant to become the core. I realize this isn't sexy, especially for the contingent that wants to add every UFA every summer, but it is practical and feasible under the cap.
Pretty much what I think we should be doing. The Kovalchuk for Staal and firsts idea is not going to work anyway without moving a Drury or a Redden, or Rozsival and something else. The Rangers have at least to assess what positions they can fill from within before running out and signing up a bunch of UFA's as they've done so many times in the past. I don't mind the idea of keeping space available if an elite player comes along--nor if we have a glaring hole in say our top 6 forwards, or top 4 defensemen but our history is to fill every position. We need to get away from that mindset. In the meantime if somehow or other we can move a large contract, underachieving player such as those you mention then by all means we should move them.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:52 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Absolutely. I said it in a previous post. All of the top teams in the league have 2 superstars up front. Again, Detroit has Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Pens have Malkin/Crosby, Hawks have Toews/Kane, Caps have Semin/Ovechkin...etc...etc.

However, I'm not willing to trade Staal like others proposed. Look at the way he played against the Sens in last night's game. Tortorella used Staal the way he should be used and that's minimizing scoring chances from the other team's star forwards. Staal should not be expending energy taking the puck up the ice and trying to go around people. He's not nor never will be Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey. But for the most part he was huge in neutralizing dangerous offensive players like Alfredsson, Michalek, and Spezza.

Staal's stick work, body positioning, physical play, and just his ability to play defense in this league is as promising as any young sniper's (like Tavares) ability to play offense. It usually takes defense men a bit longer to mature and fully develop when compared to forwards. Staal is only 22 or 23. You do not trade this kid at all. That's my opinion. I seriously hope most agree.

Del Zotto and Staal could be the next Leetch/Beukeboom tandem. To me, both are untouchable, along with the only other players who give us a chance to win a hockey game (Lundqvist/Gaborik).

Drury's contract prevents the team from bringing in more high priced talent up front. Then there's Rozsival and Redden's contract's as well. No one will want these players in a trade (unless we regress and give up the farm).
i like staal a lot, but if he's the centerpiece in a kovalchuk deal....sign me up. you trade him for a top 5 offensive talent (who is 27)

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post

Yeah, thank god these guys have no actual influence on the makeup of the team. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post

I think NY needs to do anything in their power to get Kovalchuk. If that means trading Staal and a couple of firsts I would do it. b/c frankly, talents like that are so rare. Imagine sticking Anisimov between Gaborik and Kovalchuk.
It's a tricky one cap wise...but if Kovulchuk is inclined to play for the Rangers why give any youth/picks when he's a FA in July?

Trading the assets to Atl at the deadline to make room is also tricky. We don't have so many assets that Atl would want. Some other team is likely to offer a better package at the deadline.

11-15-2009, 11:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I wouldn't make any blockbuster deals right now.

However, i would look to improve the team based on the style of play Tortorella likes to employ.

I.E. fast skaters, hard workers.

I would have a list of untouchable players:

Lundqvist
Gaborik
Del Zotto
Staal
Gilroy
Kreider
Stepan
Werek
McDonagh
Sanguinetti
Grachev

After that, anyone is movable.

The players i would target for now:

I would contact Vancouver about Mason Raymond.

Edmonton about Patrick O'Sullivan or Andrew Cogliano.

I'd look into that rumored deal for Andrei Kostitsyn.

Guys who would supply secondary scoring.

Later in the year, at the trade deadline i would focus on the bigger fishes, again keeping a smaller list of untouchables. And going after a top line center, a legit top line center. Specifically Brad Richards. He would be my #1 target.

I wouldn't dare go after Kovalchuk until July 1st if he isn't already resigned with Atlanta by then.
This! We don't need another 7.5M+ contract. Why don't some people get that? What we need are top 6 forwards. Last time I counted we had 2. It's all Kovy this and Vincent that. Those guys are not bringing a cup to Broadway this year...so what's the point? It's always all about the quick fix in Rangerland.

People want to talk Kovalchuk, fine let's do it after the season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:02 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Joe Thornton.
it will never happen though, but hey, I can dream
Don't want someone who disappears when the playoffs come around.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The guy who embodies a big part of what this team lacks is Dustin Brown. Seems unlikely that LA would trade him to the Rangers, but that's the kind of player I would like to see Sather go after.

Too many leaners on the present roster. Need a few more lifters.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Don't want someone who disappears when the playoffs come around.
its hard to make it to round two by yourself. Is he shut down in the POs? yes. but when he sets someone up they have to finish too, its not all about one player. Lets see if he disappears this time around with Heater on the wing. sure they don't always play on the same line, but when they do (like tonight) things happen.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:47 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

I'm with ya there. Tampa wants alot for him as well as part of the trade so you would be getting butt-****ed twice. No thanks.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote