HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game 5 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 09:50 PM
J-D

vCash: 500
Post-Game 5 Thread

5-1 Montreal.

Last edited by J-D: 04-16-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old
04-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
5-1 Montreal.

Great game from numerous players. I am most happy by the performance from Captain K and Theo. Although I found he didn't have to make that many big saves. I mean the B's got 40+ shots but no a whole of quality chances and when they did, they would miss the net.

Well that's one game down and two to go!

GO HABS GO!!!!

Old
04-15-2004, 09:54 PM
J-D

Please use this thread to talk about the game. We're now at 350 in the game thread... can't read 'em all!

Old
04-15-2004, 09:55 PM
velimiiro

I hope we can forget about this game as soon as possible and come out even more hungry on Saturday night to force a gave 7!

GO HABS!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:gman:

Old
04-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Lets force a game 7 now boys!

Old
04-15-2004, 09:58 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Komo had a great playoff debut

Theo was back in the form that was long overdue and much needed

Koivu hopefully has silenced all his critics...who can question leadership by example?

Kovvy faces adversity by scoring again...his league leading 4th

Adversity was faced, and the team earned some new stripes

This is a young team, and they can hold their heads high after the last 4 good games...still no quit in the CH again

Back to the Bell!!

Old
04-15-2004, 09:59 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
It was the tostitos!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Guy!

Before anything about the game can be mentioned, a tip of the hat has to be given to the fans of the Boston Bruins who showed more class on this night that fans in Montreal have shown in the last ten years. When a couple of twits started booing the Canadian anthem, the rest of the crowd actually started cheering, and the enthusiastic applause lasted for the entire song. Let this serve as a challenge to the Montreal faithful, as the class that the Boston men, women and children displayed was, quite honestly, absolutely overwhelming. More than the game itself, that classy act brought a tear to my eye.

As to the game itself, the Habs were dominated for the first six minutes or so, then after a goal against the run of play, basically took over the game for long stretches. They played a solid team defence, made good on chances against a rickety looking Raycroft, and actually scored on the power play. It wasnít a complete domination, as certainly Boston controlled stretches of play very effectively, but if there was a tilt on the rink, it was slightly favouring the Habs.

I was pleased to hear that Thornton made a call to the rink manager before the game to discuss the quality of the ice, however obviously not a lot was done as, in the first five minutes alone, two pucks hopped over Koivuís stick alone, not to mention the numerous other bizarre actions it took on both teams all night. Summer may be approaching, but when youíre in the playoffs, it should be required that the ice isnít more akin to an outdoor rink or, worse yet, the Rideau Canal.

~~

Notes:

Theo: Who was that masked man! The only goal that got past him he still hasnít seen. Pucks were hitting him in the chest all night Ė which means his positioning was finally good. He was a little nervous to start this one and bobbled a couple, and he was also a little deep in his net, not challenging like usual, but after that start, he was very solid. A-

Bouillon: Does anyone out there still believe this guy canít play at this level on a consistent basis? Yes, occasionally he gets run around by the big boys now and again, and youíd never want to have him as one of your top guys, but the little things he does are great. He gets his body in good position and he is effective enough with his stick so plays canít develop. B+

Brisebois: Early in this one he wasnít playing the simple game, instead trying those famous Breeze-By plays that make you want to shave that horrid moustache with a dull blade. Fortunately he tightened up and played the rest of the game like he should have. B

Komisarek: Not only did he dish out some massive hits, not only was his game up to playoff intensity and speed, but Julien had enough confidence in him that he basically played a regular shift. He just didnít have special teams time. My only question is why it took so long to get him in there. Yes, he made a couple of small errors, but quite honestly, his game showed some spit and polish that surprised me Ė heís been working hard (as usual). The goal was his fault because he was puck watching, but he didnít let it get to him and came back and played strong for the rest of the game. B

Souray: On the other handÖand let me just shake my head in wonderment here. For every great play Souray did tonight, there were at least two plays where he should have thwacked himself in the forehead. Some of his choices were terrible, he was beaten on the boards way too much for a big guy and at times he fiddled with the puck so long he basically handed it to the Bruins. Now heís trying to do way too much. Since coming back from injury I think heís decided he didnít need recovery time and that he could just get back to his pre-injury game. Hardly. C-

Rivet: Iím not sure if itís a sign of the apocalypse, but he was once again stellar. He didnít make mistakes because he almost always chose the simple play. He was extremely tough, made the Bruins pay, and has been the biggest surprise these playoffs. A-

Markov: He has got to be the most subtle and underrated defender in hockey. His body position, stick work, and proactive defence are simply sublime. I like the way heís willing to get his nose dirty as well, and he gets into it so much he gets banged around quite frequently. A-

Langdon: The thing that impressed me most about him was the fact he walked away when Boston was trying to stir the pot. Great control. N/A

Perreault: His first goal was excellent and he even threw the body once or twice early in this one, but was basically invisible after that Ė even though heíd taken up position on Ribeiroís wing. C+

Ward: Heís been doing some great work, beating multiples of Bruins along the boards, and turning in a yeomanís effort as usual. I just hope the injury was not as serious as the concussion that I thought it might have been. B

Juneau: While I thought it was a mirage, I rewound the tape and watched it a few more times. Yes, that was him. Alone. In front of Raycroft. Okay, he hit the guy in the crest with the shot, but at least he made it deep in the zone. Another solid defensive effort. B

Dowd: Hereís another guy who knows where to put his stick. I can just hear Pierre McGuire getting all excited while showing on the telestrator how effectively he cuts out plays with his stick alone. Add to that solid positioning and great hustleÖ B+

Bulis: Looking back on the end of this season, I can see where heís struggling a little as compared to last year. I believe the reason is that he was taken off the checking line and put on a forward line and therefore picked up a couple of poor defensive habits, but heís got to work out of that. Heís getting better, I think, but itís slower than one might like. Decent game tonight, though not nearly his best. B-

Dagenais: Fairly solid statement that he was taken off Ribsyís wing. Also fairly poignant when he had the puck at the side of an open net and missed. Iím not saying others donít do that, but letís be completely honest here, thatís all heís here to do. C-

Ribeiro: ďYou reap what you sow.Ē Zed takes a shot to the head and no call. Even Ribs himself has to get high sticked twice before thereís a call. His name is in the books now, and heíll never live that down Ė and he can ask Kovalev all about that. On another day, those kinds of missed calls might have cost the Habs; his actions were a disservice not just to himself and to the organization, but to his immediate teammates. His play was basically invisible tonight. Sullivan had the presence of mind to match Thornton up against him and if thereís a bigger mismatch in hockey, Iíve yet to see it. Maybe he likes the cool name I used to give to Sunny. Heís *got* to do more. C

Ryder: He had his customary three or four chances, but you can see heís starting to feel snake bit when he gets to the slot with the puck and instead of shooting, he makes an ill-advised pass. Still, he works extremely hard otherwise at both ends of the rink and nailed a couple of Bruins with great hits. Shame Koivu canít have three wingers, because Ryder is suffering for linemates at this point. C+

Zednik: Shades of í02 in his game tonight. He carried Bruins on his back and still made things happen. He finally scored that elusive first goal, and it was on a hustle play and a nice scorers touch at the end. Hopefully this restores some lost confidence and he can explode in the final game(s) of the series. A much more consistent effort as well. B

Kovalev: A little more discreet tonight, though his shot was certainly an effective one on that goal. Heís another whoís exceedingly strong on the boards, and he wins board battles fairly often. Shame we probably wonít see a full year of him on this line, because I see it gelling now. No over-handling the puck tonight. B-

Koivu: When he has two serious linemates like he has now that give him some space, he can be deadly. For the last while his line has been dominant over whoever theyíve played and tonight was no exception. His vision was excellent and he goes hard to the net and tonight was rewarded. I heard mention that he took Kovalev aside to have a chat with him and make sure Kovyís confidence level stayed up. Lousy captain indeed. A-

Julien: Finally Komi gets to play, though itís a result of injury. I like that heís stuck with his guns, though, because he sees that itís working. Stay the course for game six and we have our shot.

PP: Dismal. Okay, we scored two on 5v3 situations, but letís be honest here, when we only had one man to the good, we didnít even gain the line. C-

PK: Canít complain at perfection, though Boston a couple of times had control a little longer than I would have liked. A-

Team: Again, stuck to the game plan and worked through problem areas as a team. Itís working against Boston, and there could be an argument made that Montreal might be on to round two with slightly better goaltending and a little luck. It was certainly the opinion of more than a couple of different sports announcers. A-

~~

Here are the two keys from the win: momentum and frustration. Weíve taken the first and given Boston a liberal dose of the second and when Thornton plays with frustration, he takes silly penalties. Itís probably his only weakness and the only thing holding him back from being the dominant player in hockey by a country mile, but we have to capitalize on it. With a quick start and another solid effort from everyone, thereís every reason to at least believe that we can head back to Boston.

On the other hand, overconfidence could be a small problem in Montreal right now. Thereís been so much talk about the team dominating lately and that they could have won the last four games instead of two that they might go into the next one thinking they should win it. That would be the kiss of death.

Hard work at both ends. The lunch box crew and nothing else.

A Concerned Fan.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
It was the tostitos!
Everyone get their tostitos for Saturday!!!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Lewis63

I'm so happy mcphee dusted the pretzel a bit yesterday!!!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:02 PM
BJCOLLINS

Great Game it seems that adversity is the glue that keeps this team together.....Saturday Night welcome back Steve Begin (you think thorton was po'd tonite LOL) Can't Wait. Go Habs Go

Old
04-15-2004, 10:03 PM
velimiiro

MMMM Tostitos...

Oh by the way Guy, i really agree with what you said about Markov.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:05 PM
HABitude

Very very good game. They did everything well, maybe they got some luck with bounces here and there but they deserved it.

Now let's focus for the next two wins. One period at the time.
Theo is back. Raycroft is not a god anymore.
Kovy is still hot. Zed and sax are hot too. Komi hit/hurt.
The Hab team plays like a team. They don't give up.
The Boston's D are slow. Also Perreault is opportunist.
If Bťgin can make a comeback, I am a strong beleiver.

Go habs GO !!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:13 PM
RE-HABS

I GUARANTEED a win tonight and said Theo would steal a game, and Zednik and Ryder would step up. I was 2/3's right, I guess Ryder will make them pay in game 6!

I said Habs in 7!!!! BELIEVE EVERYONE, BELIEVE!!!!!

Good TSN is taking notice:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=80342

Eveyone from Healy, Wittman, TSN analyists and even Strachen (die hard Leaf puller) have said it should be 3-1 Montreal and not Boston, we have the momentum and desire...we will win and win in 7!

GO HABS GO!!!!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
This is by far a total team effort with some exceptionnal performances by Theodore, Komisarek, Koivu and Kovalev. The guys have step up to the expectations, the pressure was on and they face it admirably. Dagenais needs to be sit, with maybe Begin or Perreault on the 2nd line. But Perreault needs to stay in the lineup for the PP and faceoffs.

I'm proud to be a Habs Fan today and we all should be. Regardless of what happen on the next two games, because it is going in 7, we have to cheer our team and behind it 100%.

Go Habs!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Random Hero

Hey guy thanks for the review. I thought that everything was on par. Great stuff. The only thing i disagree with is the B- for Kovy. I still think he was one of the best players out there tonight and deserves a little higher than that. GWG as well.

Sorry, just had to nitpick that. All in all great review. Thanks.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Awesome post again, Guy! I agree with pretty much everything.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Howie Morenz

Great game. Keep it simple. On to game 6.....Go Habs.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Habs

It blows me away it took till game 5 to get Komisarek on the ice. He's laying bodies out, making solid passes, all with minimal brain cramps.

Good game, but still sloppy in the defensive zone. He's much better than Quintal, and actually uses his big frame.

Jason Ward's injury doesn't bother me, as he hasn't impressed at all this year. Maybe Hossa could get a call up?

Nice win though, I liked the intensity.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
It blows me away it took till game 5 to get Komisarek on the ice. He's laying bodies out, making solid passes, all with minimal brain cramps.

Good game, but still sloppy in the defensive zone. He's much better than Quintal, and actually uses his big frame.

Jason Ward's injury doesn't bother me, as he hasn't impressed at all this year. Maybe Hossa could get a call up?

He's only playing because of the injury to Quintal. He isnt in there because someone got bumped.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:42 PM
mcphee

If I was Jim Dowd, I'd name my first child Wellen. A bit weak, but I'm really tired.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:42 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs

I hate to see an injury to any player especially a Hab, but Quintal's injury was a blessing in disguise to get Kommy in the line up. Truth be said 'Q' was one of our worse Dmen out there and Komisarek looks great with Souray doesn't he!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Tuggy

Here is Bobby Mac's take on Game 5

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=80353

He praises Theo and Kovalev and takes shots at Joe Dirt.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:43 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If I was Jim Dowd, I'd name my first child Wellen. A bit weak, but I'm really tired.
Good one, Dowd is coming back next year...I have a feeling.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I hate to see an injury to any player especially a Hab, but Quintal's injury was a blessing in disguise to get Kommy in the line up. Truth be said 'Q' was one of our worse Dmen out there and Komisarek looks great with Souray doesn't he!
He did look great out there and I heard on the Score today that Quintal is out for at least the rest of round 1. So that means Komi is going to get a chance to show he belongs.

Closed Thread