HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Is anyone else surprised...

Old
11-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Eazy T

vCash: 500
Is anyone else surprised...

that the Isles are sitting at a playoff position at this point in time? Honestly, I thought we would end up like the Leafs and pick up only a few wins per month but now, we're actually winning against some quality teams like the Caps. All in all, I'm surprised and having a hard time believing this is happening.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Eazy T: 11-15-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Hipster Doofus

Healthy team, stupid point system, older players, Moulsen, and Tavares. Surprised yes, but its not unfounded. I did not expect Tavares to play like a first liner from teh start, nor did I think Moulsen would play like a 1st LW either.

If we could get a first line RW to keep Okposo sperate and spread the offense we'd be pretty set.

Hipster Doofus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Toujin

I'm a ridiculously stubborn optimist, so I always thought that they could make the playoffs if they put everything together well. I think the beginning of season's cluster**** gave us a bit of a skewed representation of what our boys are capable of, and now, I think it's like things should be with the Isles. No, I'm not expecting them to be 1st in the East, or Atlantic, but when clicking on all cylinders, I believe this team can make some noise, ESPECIALLY if The Rick returns to form *knock on wood*

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:52 PM
E_Godard

hey Osaka, how've you been making out with those streams?

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Healthy team, stupid point system, older players, Moulsen, and Tavares. Surprised yes, but its not unfounded. I did not expect Tavares to play like a first liner from teh start, nor did I think Moulsen would play like a 1st LW either.

If we could get a first line RW to keep Okposo sperate and spread the offense we'd be pretty set.
Basically, this. The Isles are performing above expectations to this point. They're not really a playoff team, though, and I feel this will show as the year goes on. Not enough defensive depth back there, even when healthy.

They are showing progress on some nights, though.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Toujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
hey Osaka, how've you been making out with those streams?
I bit the bullet and got CenterIce Online The quality of the streams I was getting were pretty unbearable, to the point were I was getting more frustrated with the streams then the Isles playing a bad game.

I also did this because it's much easier to use CenterIce on the schools' computer in the teacher's room when I have downtime in the morning Nothing like watching the Isles at 9am at school!

Old
11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
E_Godard

Not bad, they give you HD streams too right?

Old
11-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Toujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
Not bad, they give you HD streams too right?
Yup! It's pretty cool, despite the $20 a month hit you take. It's cool to be able to watch other games at the same time without any issues or be able to flip-flop between games easily during intermissions and commercials.

For example, this enabled me to see that ridiculous shoot-out goal by Rick Nash the other day, where he looked like he was going to fall on his @$$.

Old
11-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Islanderfan72

I am semi-surprised (if that is possible) after watching a few games, especially recently. This team fights back when all seems lost. Last night I switched off the game because I thought that 4th goal was the killer. I switched back latter and saw that they were about to go to OT! This surprises me for such a young team.

On the other hand I saw at the end of last year that this team can compete with others if they stay healthy and we get solid goaltending. The good thing is that I feel our goaltending is going to get better as the season goes on. Even if Ricky does not get back, Roli has proven that he only gets better as the season goes on and he plays lots of games. Last year I saw that Kyle will lead this team for a long time and the scary thing is he only has more room to get better. Add Tavares to that and that is why our team has 21 points in 20 games.

I am really excited about this team, not only because they are competitive but because they are doing it from within. It feels good that our young players like Tavares Okposo and Bailey will be putting up points for us for a long time. Thank the lord Mad mike is no longer here!

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:49 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
that the Isles are sitting at a playoff position at this point in time?
Im not surprised, just happy. Its nice to see them all being rewarded for the hard work theyve done so far. The season is still young tho, so lets hope we could have this conversation in April when it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujin View Post
For example, this enabled me to see that ridiculous shoot-out goal by Rick Nash the other day, where he looked like he was going to fall on his @$$.
Thats cool, the Raised-Footer I presume? I havent seen it yet but hear it was odd looking.

Old
11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
I am semi-surprised (if that is possible) after watching a few games, especially recently. This team fights back when all seems lost. Last night I switched off the game because I thought that 4th goal was the killer. I switched back latter and saw that they were about to go to OT! This surprises me for such a young team.

On the other hand I saw at the end of last year that this team can compete with others if they stay healthy and we get solid goaltending. The good thing is that I feel our goaltending is going to get better as the season goes on. Even if Ricky does not get back, Roli has proven that he only gets better as the season goes on and he plays lots of games. Last year I saw that Kyle will lead this team for a long time and the scary thing is he only has more room to get better. Add Tavares to that and that is why our team has 21 points in 20 games.

I am really excited about this team, not only because they are competitive but because they are doing it from within. It feels good that our young players like Tavares Okposo and Bailey will be putting up points for us for a long time. Thank the lord Mad mike is no longer here!
I feel the same way. What I saw last year was that they were losing but it was "as a team". This year I just wanted to see some progress and the younger players get some experience with all the playing time they are getting. Difference from last year to this year so far is they getting some grit "we're not out of this" attitude which goes a long way in the NHL. Also, they try hard so that the other team does not have easy plays. I like how everyone takes a man, hits, gets in the way, or poke checks with their sticks. Haven't seen hard play from the Isles in a long time. I dont think they will make the playoffs but I am rooting for them. I dont expect much this year but it's hard not to smile even with all these ties. They are putting up good effort against strong teams. It's hard not to chant......LETS GO ISLANDERS!

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Not really surprised. The Isles always seem to hang around the first 20 games or so, then **** the bed in Late Nov/Dec.

One 3-4 game losing streak and the usual suspects will be out with their ranting and "Fall for Hall" and deadline selling nonsense.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:50 PM
JKP

There's a reason why you actually play the games...

I'm not surprised. Good goaltending can make a big difference. The team lost a lot of one-goal games last year (over 20, I believe). Add quality goalies and some extra scoring (Tavares), mix in some health and consistency and it's more than feasible that they are in the hunt this year.

That said, it's only 20 games in. Let's see where things are after Christmas.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:20 PM
KH1

Not really. The way that the NHL point system works is specifically designed to keep teams like the Isles in contention into the middle of the season to keep up fan interest.

In a men's league, eventually the cream rises to the top though. Whether or not the Isles have what it takes to be a real factor certainly remains to be seen.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
Not really. The way that the NHL point system works is specifically designed to keep teams like the Isles in contention into the middle of the season to keep up fan interest.

In a men's league, eventually the cream rises to the top though. Whether or not the Isles have what it takes to be a real factor certainly remains to be seen.
Agree with every word.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:34 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post

I wonder how Bailey would do on the wing with Tavares and Moulson. I know he is a center, but as of right now he hasn't done much at all, and putting his passing skills together with Tavares and Moulson's scoring ability, they might be able to click. I really have no idea how Bailey would play as a winger but its worth a try as he really has yet to do much as a center. Also keeping one of Neilsen or Bailey on the third line is kind of a waste considering the potential talent that they possess.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4morecups View Post
I wonder how Bailey would do on the wing with Tavares and Moulson. I know he is a center, but as of right now he hasn't done much at all, and putting his passing skills together with Tavares and Moulson's scoring ability, they might be able to click. I really have no idea how Bailey would play as a winger but its worth a try as he really has yet to do much as a center. Also keeping one of Neilsen or Bailey on the third line is kind of a waste considering the potential talent that they possess.
I won't say 'I am certain that' often, because I never played hockey at a high level. But...

I am certain Bailey won't (and shouldn't) play wing. Wing would exacerbate his weaknesses (inability to win physical battles) and hide his strengths (vision and passing).

Someday the Isles will have to chose between Nielsen and Bailey... That day hasn't come yet.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Zarley Z

I'm surprised, yes. I expected them to be lower in the standings at this point and am enjoying their mild success thus far. BUT, it's not exactly as great as it looks when teams like Atlanta, Ottawa, Tampa, and Philly, all within 1-2 points of the Isles in the standings, have 3-4 games in hand. Once they catch up with those games it may not look as good and we could end up in the projected 11-14 area most people have expected. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but that could be the reality of things..

Either way we should enjoy the fact that they are competing up until this point and hopefully they'll continue to play meaningful games throughout the year.

Zarley Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Mr Bojanglez

I'm not surprised, at all. Last year might have been a struggle, but you got some serious minutes out of your young guns.

Now, with that experience, they're ready to rock and roll this year. Imagine if Dipietro comes back soon, and is at his previous form?

Playoff bubble team this year. Sounds like a backhanded-compliment to some. But considering last year, I think its quite an improvement.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I'm not terribly surprised, everything considered. I am happy.

What does surprise me is that I truly felt, that the goaltending would be a tick better. It's not been bad the past 10-12 games, but I truly thought there'd be fewer "mehhhhh" goals going in.

Be that as it may, I think I had Tavares pegged for 21-24-45 this year, so if things continue to go somewhat constantly, he's bound to surpass that in a pretty healthy manner.

Still, things could look pretty dim if we lose another Dman. Another signing or trade would have to be made.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post

What does surprise me is that I truly felt, that the goaltending would be a tick better. It's not been bad the past 10-12 games, but I truly thought there'd be fewer "mehhhhh" goals going in.

Be that as it may, I think I had Tavares pegged for 21-24-45 this year, so if things continue to go somewhat constantly, he's bound to surpass that in a pretty healthy manner.

Still, things could look pretty dim if we lose another Dman. Another signing or trade would have to be made.
agreed, I thought the goalies would be much better than they have been.

As for Tavares, I don't think you got an elite player. But I do think you have a VERY good player, one who should put up 75-80 points a season, consistently, once he gets rolling (a couple spike years, of course). That is definitely something to be happy with.

Whenever you draft, regardless of the position, you just hope you get an NHL regular. Sure he's no Crosby, but that pick will pay dividends for years to come.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
OlTimeHockey

Go-fo Gotrun's system has not helped the goalies. The defense got better immensely after overstink ended (mostly) for them. But the names on the defensemen's backs remain almost the main reason why we are not better. The system is ALL offense and it is nice to have a Dino Ciccerelli and Brian Bellows out there, but the bad part is you have to watch the collective sum of the Minnesota North Stars stink it up.

We simply need a better (or any) defensive game with this bunch. Two top four defensemen and one top six scorer and we're a solid team provided we get more able coaching from Coach Corky.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
PuttinOnTheFoil624

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post

that pretty much sums it up for me.

PuttinOnTheFoil624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
There's a reason why you actually play the games...

I'm not surprised. Good goaltending can make a big difference. The team lost a lot of one-goal games last year (over 20, I believe). Add quality goalies and some extra scoring (Tavares), mix in some health and consistency and it's more than feasible that they are in the hunt this year.

That said, it's only 20 games in. Let's see where things are after Christmas.
Actually a lot more than that. Islanders had 32 games last year where they lost by one goal or two with an empty net. They were competitive in well over half their losses. Win just half of those and they would have been in the playoffs. And this was with a rookie coach, new system, minor league goaltending, and injuries all over. Last year's team was really not as awful as their record would indicate. Better health and quality goaltending makes a big difference. I am not surprised by where they stand right now.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I am certain Bailey won't (and shouldn't) play wing. Wing would exacerbate his weaknesses (inability to win physical battles)...
Spot on.

Weakest part of Bailey's game currently is play against the boards. His game, along with that of Park's and Neilson's, diminishes significantly in physical areas of the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Last year's team was really not as awful as their record would indicate.
I hate excuses.

If last year's team was not as bad as thier record indicates, then this year's is not as stupendous as their record indicates.

Reality is, you are PRECISELY what your record indicates. 82 games do not lie. That is not a small sample size. And every team has injuries. Good teams overcome them. Lousy teams do not.

Last edited by Trottier: 11-16-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote