HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Overpriced targets, two birds with one stone?

Old
11-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Krazy

vCash: 500
Overpriced targets, two birds with one stone?

We all know that the leafs have a ton of money coming off of the books this year and Burke wants to improve the team. That said, with the rumors of Savard, Kovalchuk, Kane, Toews re-signing, the FA crop looks really weak. Burke will have a ton of money to spend, and no one to spend it on. He definitely has to try to improve his lot, he cant just sit on the cap space and end up at the bottom again without first round picks, so what can he do?

I think he could look at getting quality players on over priced contracts at low value, maybe even re-couping some picks back. Looking at what stars like Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Joe Thornton, or lesser players like McCabe and Kubina returned, I think the leafs could get better players than they could as UFA's, helping improve their positions both this year and next.

There must be players available I am just wondering who they are.....

Giguere +prospect or a philly pick for a finger or toskala?
Briere? But he has a NMC
Vinny? NMC?
Campbell?

Poach Chicago? for versteeg, Buff, Bolland, ladd?

Should Burke be looking at "Bad contracts"? as a way to improve the team now and for the future?

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
We all know that the leafs have a ton of money coming off of the books this year and Burke wants to improve the team. That said, with the rumors of Savard, Kovalchuk, Kane, Toews re-signing, the FA crop looks really weak. Burke will have a ton of money to spend, and no one to spend it on. He definitely has to try to improve his lot, he cant just sit on the cap space and end up at the bottom again without first round picks, so what can he do?

I think he could look at getting quality players on over priced contracts at low value, maybe even re-couping some picks back. Looking at what stars like Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Joe Thornton, or lesser players like McCabe and Kubina returned, I think the leafs could get better players than they could as UFA's, helping improve their positions both this year and next.

Briere? But he has a NMC
Vinny? NMC?
Campbell?

Should Burke be looking at "Bad contracts"? as a way to improve the team now and for the future?
Im sure Bowman is just looking to give these players away.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:51 PM
hockeylover007

Even though there is a ton of money coming off the books, i think the leafs only have like 11 or 12 players signed past this year and something like 33million committed. around 20 - 25 million to sign around 10 players isnt really that much because of that, especially with the monster and white due for a raise

hockeylover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:52 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
Im sure Bowman is just looking to give these players away.
Based on your analysis, I'm heading to the main board to start up a thread:

Versteeg, Buff, Ladd, Bolland and Campbell

for

Blake, Finger, Toskala and Poni.

Chicago saves a tonne of cap space. Chicago may need to throw in a 2nd for doing them such a big favour.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:55 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover007 View Post
Even though there is a ton of money coming off the books, i think the leafs only have like 11 or 12 players signed past this year and something like 33million committed. around 20 - 25 million to sign around 10 players isnt really that much because of that
They should have $10-12 million to spend on 2 forwards and a couple of depth players.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:00 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
They should have $10-12 million to spend on 2 forwards and a couple of depth players.
Exactly. 5 defensemen under contract, our 4 most expensive forwards, and Orr. Kulemin, Mitchell, and Tlusty are RFAs who will be cheap to resign, Kadri, Bozak, Hanson, and Stalberg are all on entry level conracts, White and Gus get their raises, and weve got plenty to fill out the remaining holes.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

Briere? But he has a NMC
Vinny? NMC?
Campbell?

Yeah this isn't such a Krazy idea ironically.

I'm always amazed how at a player such as Gomez for example is

A great player who's got a ton of skill if he has a 4.5 million dollar contract

and

A overpriced has been who is well passed his prime if he's making 7.2 million

I found it similar to the Vancouver-Sundin situation. Yes OBVIOUSLY 10 million/year was very over priced, but we weren't going to sign anyone else anyways. Since Toronto has the deep pockets to do so why not try and sweep up some of these 'bad' contracts that cap pressed teams are trying to offload.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Madic

Leafs don't need more gambles or Hagman-priced players. Highly skilled centers are most valuable to us right now.

Marleau or Savard should be and probably are the top targets.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote