HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Disappointed with the Bauer Vapor X:60

Old
11-15-2009, 08:05 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500
Disappointed with the Bauer Vapor X:60

I must say, I am very disappointed with the Bauer X60... My shot is absolutely terrible with it and it feels like I'm shooting with a wet newspaper. I'm also using the same flex and the same curve as I've always used. Maybe I just have to take some time to get used to it?

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:08 PM
AIREAYE

This is somewhat related, but my Vapour X:40 feels great shooting wise, went from ~95 flex P92 to 77 flex P106, and I can get topshelf and aim much better. Perhaps using it a bit more will get you used to it

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Hockeyfan68

Maybe it has a different kick point than what you were using too so it feels different.

I noticed a pretty big difference when I switched to tapered shafts after using standard shafts. The kickpoint was very different and it took a little getting used to.

Maybe that is what you are feeling?

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:39 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Maybe it has a different kick point than what you were using too so it feels different.

I noticed a pretty big difference when I switched to tapered shafts after using standard shafts. The kickpoint was very different and it took a little getting used to.

Maybe that is what you are feeling?
Is that something I can get used to? Or will it just always be no good for me?

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
You can get used to such things. You may wind up loving it once you get the feel for it.

The x60 has a dual kickpoint, it's a mid kickpoint when you position your hand high and a low kick when your bottom hand is lower on the shaft, that may be what's throwing you off.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:06 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
This is somewhat related, but my Vapour X:40 feels great shooting wise, went from ~95 flex P92 to 77 flex P106, and I can get topshelf and aim much better. Perhaps using it a bit more will get you used to it
If you are sniping off a 77 flex, you would be deadly with a 85-90 flex.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 11:43 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
If you are sniping off a 77 flex, you would be deadly with a 85-90 flex.
No, not necessarily at all. That might be the most he can properly use atm.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:14 AM
rinkrat22

I would think the change in pattern has more to due with the top shelf shots than that flex. going from a toe curve to a big open heel curve will change the shot substantially.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:50 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
I would think the change in pattern has more to due with the top shelf shots than that flex. going from a toe curve to a big open heel curve will change the shot substantially.
Not true either. Curves can help, but a softer flex allows for better loading and accuracy then a flex that's too hard for you.

There is very much a thing as too high a flex.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:30 AM
CanadaBacon

My point being Aire will have a sick shot if/when they use an 85-90 flex. My experience with whips is that they are crazy unstable for accuracy. If you can get consistent on a whip, 85-90 flex would be a laser. (if you can load said stick, i assumed everyone knows not to use a stick they cannot load)

Old
11-16-2009, 01:47 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
My point being Aire will have a sick shot if/when they use an 85-90 flex. My experience with whips is that they are crazy unstable for accuracy. If you can get consistent on a whip, 85-90 flex would be a laser. (if you can load said stick, i assumed everyone knows not to use a stick they cannot load)
But that's not necessarily true. Just because he was using a 95 before does not mean it was in any way appropriate for him. Just becuase a whip is too flexy for you does not mean he needs to go up in flex.

If he has a good consistent shot on a whip, that's probably what he should be using.

Old
11-16-2009, 07:30 AM
rinkrat22

i understand that a whippier flex can affect his shot, but those are two way different curves. Which will have an impact on where a shot goes. I know when I use a p92 I can keep the puck low very easily but I have to open up my hands to go top shelf, when I use a p106 I rifle shots over the cross bar and I have to concentrate to shoot low.

sorry if I wasn't clear on my point.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:14 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
But that's not necessarily true. Just because he was using a 95 before does not mean it was in any way appropriate for him. Just becuase a whip is too flexy for you does not mean he needs to go up in flex.

If he has a good consistent shot on a whip, that's probably what he should be using.
Im not saying he should go up in flex right now. Im saying that if he can flex a 85-90 he will have a laser if he has a consistent whip shot. Im not saying he should switch sticks. I cant remember this guys height/weight but most adult males weight over 160 lbs, once too much flex goes into a whip the accuracy gets unstable. If he can have a consistent shot with unstable accuracy he will have a laser with proper flex.

Old
11-16-2009, 02:48 PM
AIREAYE

lol Canada and cptjeff, I cannot load the ~90 flex stick at all and can shoot better with the 77 flex stick, Im 16, but have little strength per se

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Saved*

I'm currently using a 77 flex CCM U+ CL. I used to be a regular scorer with my U+ 85 flex, but I've only gone pointless in 1 game since I've switched to the 77 flex. It works much better for me.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote