HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/16 Your New Jersey Devils at Philadelphia Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
marty30brodeur*

vCash: 500
btw, how great did clarkson play last night in the offensive zone.

Old
11-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Elias could look slow all year. get used to it. he's going to have to play smarter to compensate for it.
I think he will regain some of his old speed this season, but I agree that in the future he's going to have to play smarter to compensate, just like every other aging star. I think Elias has the hockey intelligence to be able to do it. My guess is he will hit his decline later than most players, and will still be able to contribute on some level at the end of this contract.

Old
11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I remember one shot on goal. It was pretty weak and going far post that Emery directed out of play.

I'd go watch it again, but I don't care. However, one simply cannnot deny that his compete level isn't there. He got to the puck first numerous times last night and instead of gathering it and making a play, he slowed up and took the hit only to watch a flyer skate away with it. Words cannot express how soft he's been this season.

Then there's his play in our zone which was embarrassing to be fair. The worst of it all was in the first when we were pinned for well over a minute. He gets a loose puck in the slot on the edge of the right circle and somehow manages to throw it back towards our D. It lead to more chaos/scoring chances in our end.

Oh, and should we brring up his pathetic attempts at "crashing the net?" He had a step when zubrus was coming down the wing. What does he do? He starts gliding at about the top of the circle, lets the d-man tie up his stick and completely takes himself out of the play for a rebound or direction. In fact, I remember me and GIC laughing about it because they called his "effort" "crashing the net." riiight.
Poor Zubrus got buried. "he should have brought the puck to the inside to give Rolston a lane for a 2 on 1."

not that I know where the 2 on 1 was because Zubrus was marked, but Rolston had like a quarter step, the best case scenario was Rolston trips over his own feet and the refs think he got taken down.

btw, I am not going to accept him as a 15-15-30 unless he gives someone making near the minimum his Bentley and starts driving a Ford Taurus... and not a new one.

Old
11-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Rolston is overpaid, but what else is new? We knew when we signed him that he would go into decline. Only I don't think anybody predicted it would happen this fast. If he can get somewhere around 40-50 points this year I will be happy, although he is probably capable of more.

Old
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Poor Zubrus got buried. "he should have brought the puck to the inside to give Rolston a lane for a 2 on 1."

not that I know where the 2 on 1 was because Zubrus was marked, but Rolston had like a quarter step, the best case scenario was Rolston trips over his own feet and the refs think he got taken down.

btw, I am not going to accept him as a 15-15-30 unless he gives someone making near the minimum his Bentley and starts driving a Ford Taurus... and not a new one.
LOL I'm sure clarkson would gladly take his bentley..

He can't even have a new Taurus?

Anyways, you'd think watching guys like Parise, Zaj, clarkson, Bergfors, etc out there busting their ass that it'd rub off on him a bit....nope.

Old
11-17-2009, 02:53 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Rolston is overpaid, but what else is new? We knew when we signed him that he would go into decline. Only I don't think anybody predicted it would happen this fast. If he can get somewhere around 40-50 points this year I will be happy, although he is probably capable of more.
I don't think he's in decline. I think he has last contract-itis. and there's nobody on the team to really call him out on it. I know he can play infinitely better than this, he really just doesn't seem to give a ****.

Old
11-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
Fraser needs to work his skating, he seems to fall down skating backwards alot and that isnt good if your a defenseman.
If the Devils got Clarkson to stop falling down, I'm sure they could do the same with Fraser.

Old
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Barcelonian Devil

Send a message via MSN to Barcelonian Devil
50 points for rolston is like asking dan cloutier 40 wins, it's just not going to happen

Old
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anssi is epic View Post
50 points for rolston is like asking dan cloutier 40 wins, it's just not going to happen
Damm now thats harsh!

Old
11-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Devilswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
There's no "biggest test of the year" in Novemeber...
I obviously meant up until now. This game was the toughest one to win because of everything that was on stake, but mostly because the Flyers are a huge divisional rival and a much improved team. I wanted to beat them badly.

You think Scott Stevens wouldn't have called this a big test? The man lost it once because his team lost a game in overtime against the defending champs back in 02-03. Some people seemed to take it lightly back then too and he got all mad about it.

I don't care that we just had won 8 in a row and 9 straight road wins. I look at it at a game-to-game basis because they're all different. The Devils simply weren't ready to play, and against the Flyers that's inexcusable.

I definitely wouldn't be as mad if we had lost to Nashville, Dallas or whatever, but this was a rival we should've been ready for and we weren't. That's why I have a hard time with losses like this one.

Old
11-17-2009, 04:02 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
I obviously meant up until now. This game was the toughest one to win because of everything that was on stake, but mostly because the Flyers are a huge divisional rival and a much improved team. I wanted to beat them badly.

You think Scott Stevens wouldn't have called this a big test? The man lost it once because his team lost a game in overtime against the defending champs back in 02-03. Some people seemed to take it lightly back then too and he got all mad about it.

I don't care that we just had won 8 in a row and 9 straight road wins. I look at it at a game-to-game basis because they're all different. The Devils simply weren't ready to play, and against the Flyers that's inexcusable.

I definitely wouldn't be as mad if we had lost to Nashville, Dallas or whatever, but this was a rival we should've been ready for and we weren't. That's why I have a hard time with losses like this one.
Yeah you would've, we've all seen your comments in the GDTs right after a loss. It's not pretty. Also, you may think they weren't ready to play, but the reality was that when you have guys like Motts and greene logging heavy heavy minutes against the most highly skilled (top to bottom) team in the east, they're going to have a tough time. They were outmatched, plain and simple. All the preparation in the world wouldn't have prevented the running last night. Given how much time they've been on the ice in the last few weeks, a performance like that from our D was almost expected. Teams have clunkers, just the nature of the beast. You can't stay hot forever. Some nights you're just not the better team.

Old
11-17-2009, 04:10 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Can't win em all. Marty looked too eager in that game, why would he steal that puck from Salvador?? Rest of the guys looked just out of place, turnovers killed us and lack of possesion was just as painful and a direct result of turnovers.

Philly looked really hungry, owned the play in our zone, especially in the third, Doc pointed it out about halfway through the third that we hadn't had a shot since late in the 2nd - can't do that and expect to win.

I'm not too bent out of shape on this one - the streaks over, we're still tops in the division, on to Thursday.
To me it looked similar to that goal he gave up against the Rags in the playoffs two years ago, where he just didn't see what was happening around him and dropped the puck into the crease for a tap-in. He probably just didn't realize Sal was there.

Old
11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
To me it looked similar to that goal he gave up against the Rags in the playoffs two years ago, where he just didn't see what was happening around him and dropped the puck into the crease for a tap-in. He probably just didn't realize Sal was there.
And per TG you would be right

Quote:
Brodeur admitted he made a mistake on the Flyers’ third goal—scored by rookie James van Riemsdyk—by trying to pokecheck the puck away from the front of the net. The problem was he didn’t see defenseman Bryce Salvador off to his side. Salvador would have been able to clear the puck before van Riemsdyk got to it.

“My first reaction was to get it out of the front of the net, but Sal was right there,” Brodeur said. “That was my bad. I didn’t see him. I was so into the play (in front of him), I wasn’t looking at all there”

Old
11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
If the Devils got Clarkson to stop falling down, I'm sure they could do the same with Fraser.
That was as much Clarkson wanting to improve and being determined to get better. If Fraser wants to imrpove his game then he will eventually improve his skating.

Old
11-17-2009, 04:59 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I thought it was Oduya(or OH-DOY-A....lol ) that fell down alot?

Old
11-17-2009, 05:43 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
I thought it was Oduya(or OH-DOY-A....lol ) that fell down alot?
Oduya would fall by himself skating backwards however he was a decent skater.

Clarkson was pretty bad, back then he was a little better then what Peters is now. He would struggle to stay in front of the net without slipping. Now its almost impossible to move him from the from unless he wants to.

Old
11-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
They just showed the crosscheck on Parise by Pronger. That was such a dirty play. Crosscheck to the neck which knocked Zach into the boards.
A wimp of coach like Brent Sutter tollerated the Christian Backman crosscheck to Parise's pearly whites.

His policy and now legacy of allowing open season on NJD player's teeth unfortunately still exists and is ingrained in the mindset of our opponents.

I am fully confident that the old man will have this team better prepared to play the Flyers as the season progresses.

I really can't wait for the rematch next month.

Old
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Holy crap, since when did the Flyers start winning games against us? The stats say we won most of these games since 1995!

Old
11-17-2009, 06:24 PM
dk3790

Quote:
I don't think he's in decline. I think he has last contract-itis. and there's nobody on the team to really call him out on it. I know he can play infinitely better than this, he really just doesn't seem to give a ****.
Can you blame him? This'll probably be his last contract and he got paid ALOT. On top of that, I heard he got a NTC? If this is true....

Closed Thread