HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares Determination Infectious

Old
11-16-2009, 12:37 AM
mbsantos15

vCash: 500
Tavares Determination Infectious

First i apoligize for not putting this thread in the "Tavares eval thread" but i felt like the post needs its

own space.. May i say that it has been a while since i have seen a player put the isles team on his

back and forced his teammates to leave everything on the ice.. In the game against the panthers... I

mean you guys can see it.. What stood out to me was the way in which it was done..

For instance, after JT put that PP goal in down 4-2 when it looked like the game was getting out

of hand later in the 3rd period, the kind of celebration he had kinda caught my eye... He wasn't

gloating or doing some kind of snipe to the sky... he wasn't happy that he got his 2nd goal of the

game.. but rather he was able to show his teammates they can come back in a game..He clamped his

two fists together, and had the look on his face of a pure Winner.. He didn't crack a single smile, but

the determination he had on his face said it all.. Then after the goal he won a crucial faceoff which

didn't occur often against the Panthers, and Kyle deposited it in the back of the net..

I dunno maybe I'm just really pleased with the way they have been playing lately, but i just feel like

something is different with this team and i have a feeling it all starts with No.91. Keep it up.. Go isles!! Thoughts?

Last edited by mbsantos15: 11-16-2009 at 12:48 AM.
mbsantos15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Moosie

Geez, don't scare me like that. I thought he had some infectious disease.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 07:42 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsantos15 View Post
F
the kind of celebration he had kinda caught my eye... He wasn't

gloating or doing some kind of snipe to the sky... he wasn't happy that he got his 2nd goal of the

game.. but rather he was able to show his teammates they can come back in a game..He clamped his

two fists together, and had the look on his face of a pure Winner.. He didn't crack a single smile, but

the determination he had on his face said it all.. all starts with No.91. Keep it up.. Go isles!! Thoughts?

Good points about JT.... The guy has basically been a pure winner since he was probably around 10 years old!... He seems to have a determination where he expects to succeed (not hopes to succeed).. This is a leader...

It is real early in JT's career but I like what I see..

However, There is a lot of Homerism going on with JT.. He still has a lot to improve upon to be considered a great player.. Howie and Jaffe were making such a big deal about JT's goal when he deflected the puck in the air into the goal... They were making it sound like it was the top 10 goals of all time... LOL...

I am excited to just sit back enjoy the career a first overall pick drafted by the Isles.... He could be an Islander for 15 years or so... This could only be good for the Isles franchise...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
Seriously lol, thought this was a thread about another H1N1 case.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:14 AM
KH1

Quote:
Haha, I also almost spit out my coffee when I saw this thread title.

It's sad that the Isles have made us so skittish.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Isles Junkie

i was having a conversation on another board about JT and I was trying to compare him to a player from yesteryear. At first I thought Dino Ciccarrelli, but then I realized that JTs goals aren't coming because he's getting pounded infront of the net & making tons of great deflections. But like Dino, JT always seems to be in the perfect spot for a rebound. but still i don't think it's a good comparison but i can't think of who else he reminds me of. He's very sneaky. he's out of the play and then he just sneaks in and puts it in the back of the net.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
Quote:
He IS the disease. J1T1. Symptoms include kicking ass and winning once in a while.

Crispy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:38 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
He IS the disease. J1T1. Symptoms include kicking ass and winning once in a while.
The H1N1 takes shots to avoid J1T1 !

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:49 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
i was having a conversation on another board about JT and I was trying to compare him to a player from yesteryear. At first I thought Dino Ciccarrelli, but then I realized that JTs goals aren't coming because he's getting pounded infront of the net & making tons of great deflections. But like Dino, JT always seems to be in the perfect spot for a rebound. but still i don't think it's a good comparison but i can't think of who else he reminds me of. He's very sneaky. he's out of the play and then he just sneaks in and puts it in the back of the net.
I've watched hockey since 1975 (always an Isles fan), and I really can't think of anyone Tavares reminds me of. He has ridiculous hands, great vision, and great hockey instincts. I remember watching highlights of JT in juniors and the WJHC, and Parise of the Devils came to mind when it comes to Tavares' drive to score goals. He just won't stop until the puck is in the net. Tavares isn't big, but he has his nose right in the goal crease, willing to get crushed to score. He doesn't have Parise's speed, but he may have better hands (eventually).

I don't want to get too excited, but what Tavares is doing, with THIS team, is quite extraordinary. He doesn't have the talent the other top rookies have around him, and yet he leads all NHL rookies in goals and points. Look at who Van Riemsdyk (Philly), O'Reilly, Duschene (Colorado) & Del Zotto (Rangers) have around them. The top guys they get to play with are ALL better than the top players on the Isles. It's really amazing that the Isles are in the top 8 in the conference, considering the injuries and poor defense they have. A lot has to do with Tavares, Okposo & Moulson.

Old
11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Islanderfan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Good points about JT.... The guy has basically been a pure winner since he was probably around 10 years old!... He seems to have a determination where he expects to succeed (not hopes to succeed).. This is a leader...

However, There is a lot of Homerism going on with JT.. He still has a lot to improve upon to be considered a great player.. Howie and Jaffe were making such a big deal about JT's goal when he deflected the puck in the air into the goal... They were making it sound like it was the top 10 goals of all time... LOL...
I am excited to just sit back enjoy the career a first overall pick drafted by the Isles.... He could be an Islander for 15 years or so... This could only be good for the Isles franchise...
True but how many times have Islander fans seen a player totally miss an easy goal like that. An Islander player in the past would either be unaware of where the puck was or miss it totally when going into that area. It shows more about him, that he is always aware of the play around him.

He really has not scored any pretty goals yet (the one against Boston in October was nice) and that gets me excited. Once he gets more comfortable he is really going to put up sick numbers IMO.

I also have noticed how he celebrates his goals. It is not a shock to him. I think he would rather win then score 100 goals IMO.

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Belarus

Tavares is a bum. Should've picked Duchene.

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
Quote:

What impressed me about that goal, which I think is mostly what they were going on about, was not so much the goal itself but the poise he showed while scoring it. He didn't just slash wildly at it, but he showed the patience to make sure he connected cleanly and his stick was under the crossbar. Then take into account that he's just a 19 year old kid with that kind of awareness, and it IS something to marvel at.

Crispy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:

I think that was an amazing goal. Hundreds of professional hockey players would have their eyes light up and swing and miss at the puck. If you watch that entire play develop, it all slowed down for Tavares. Not an ounce of nerves. It wasn't a reactionary play, so he had a little bit of time to think about what he wanted to do and the way he was going to make that play. And he didn't flinch. He executed.

Once this kid gets bigger, stronger, and more used to the pro game he'll be one hell of a player. His instincts are elite.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 03:11 PM
BillD

Rather than having a cast of excellent players surrounding him, you could make the argument that he is the excellent player, with possible exception of Okposo.
He is the sole reason that Moulson is performing as he is.
Very different than JVR who, while very talented, is surrounded by, and plays with established NHL quality such as Richards, Carter, Hartnell.
Makes JT even more impressive.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 03:49 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Rather than having a cast of excellent players surrounding him, you could make the argument that he is the excellent player, with possible exception of Okposo.
Very different than JVR who, while very talented, is surrounded by, and plays with established NHL quality such as Richards, Carter, Hartnell.
I read this all the time, and I have to say I disagree. Moulson isn't the most gifted guy in the game but he's got a nice shot and he's exactly where he needs to be in the offensive zone at almost all times, which is more than we can say for most of his teammates. Everything I've seen from Molson suggests that he's right where he should be right now.

Old
11-16-2009, 03:50 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Exactly my point. Duchene & O'Reilly have Stastny (better than any Isles forward), JVR has the players mentioned above (better than any Isles forwards), Del Zotto has Gaborik, Prospal, etc. Even Stamkos, who Tavares has compared to the most (1st overalls always get compared) has St Louis, Lecavallier, etc. All these young players have better supposrting casts, which makes Tavares' play even more impressive. He is doing more with less.

Old
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

We shoulda taken whatever Quinn was offering. Anybody....but Mario Kaberleux.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
I
Once this kid gets bigger, stronger, and more used to the pro game he'll be one hell of a player. His instincts are elite.
This I definately agree with.. His instincts seem to be legit.. Really good point... Once he gets bigger, stronger and adjusts to the NHL watch out... I hope he really starts to work on improving his quickness/acceleration... This is the only issue that I see..

Granted, these observations that I see are from some fan on Long Island... I am no Mike Milbury who had the eye for talent in the great ones such as Oleg Kvasha, Justin Papineau, and the Russian they got in the trade for JP Dumont.... Forgot his name... LOL

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

yea i was deff thinking that about tavares, how he wants to do good and be better. honestly if he keeps it up and continues to grow as a hockey player i see it being :
ovenchkin
crosby
malkin
tavares

i think he def has the talent to be up there with those guys someday.
the poise he has at that age is amazing. thank god he wants to be great and aint a bum id hate to have a dagile on our hands

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
Tavares is a bum. Should've picked Duchene.

dude when i was watching the draft on tv, right before the first pick the guy goes '' looks like the islanders are leaning toward Duchene at this point" ..........i almost had a heart attack!!!

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:55 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
I read this all the time, and I have to say I disagree. Moulson isn't the most gifted guy in the game but he's got a nice shot and he's exactly where he needs to be in the offensive zone at almost all times, which is more than we can say for most of his teammates. Everything I've seen from Molson suggests that he's right where he should be right now.
Tonight's game sums up the point I was trying to make pretty well.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Bert Marshall days

Great skill and great hands and a difference maker but let's keep it in perspective. He's 19. He'll still grow and get better but the raw version is pretty good. He whiffs on many 1 timers he needs to bury and get more shots on goal not to mention he falls down too much, almost every time touched. But he'll be the real deal............in time.

You've got a point in that he makes others around him better. His little poke passes to Okposo, Moulson and Streit on the PP is proof of more chances. The PP is very different from last year because of him. But he's not Trottier...........yet.

Just enjoy him for what he's worth now.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:39 AM
BJo

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/1...isles-fortunes

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Islanderfan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
I agree with you. Tavares isn't putting Moulson in front of the net where he has scored a lot of his goals. Last night he scored both his goals by crashing the net. He scored almost like Smyth in that he doesn't dance around players but is instead in the right spots at the right time.

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
dude when i was watching the draft on tv, right before the first pick the guy goes '' looks like the islanders are leaning toward Duchene at this point" ..........i almost had a heart attack!!!
I wanted Tavares real bad, but Duchene is going to be a hell of a player too. A different type of player from Tavares, but real good nontheless. Not sure the Isles could have went wrong with any of the available players, but I'm glad we went with Tavares for a number of reasons.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote