HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury question

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Drury question

In regards to Chris Drury... he has been VERY pedestrian this year, and looks to be a 3rd liner making top dollar. In addition, he has a no trade clause(not that teams would be lining up anyway). My question is this: If he doesn't improve - is it possible for the Rangers to send him down, then put him on re-entry waivers? Assuming someone picked him up - the Rangers would only be responsible for approx 3.5 mill the next 2 years. I obviously don't expect that to happen this season, but is this possible to do despite his no movement clause in the future in order to regain some cap room?

Old
11-16-2009, 04:57 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
In regards to Chris Drury... he has been VERY pedestrian this year, and looks to be a 3rd liner making top dollar. In addition, he has a no trade clause(not that teams would be lining up anyway). My question is this: If he doesn't improve - is it possible for the Rangers to send him down, then put him on re-entry waivers? Assuming someone picked him up - the Rangers would only be responsible for approx 3.5 mill the next 2 years. I obviously don't expect that to happen this season, but is this possible to do despite his no movement clause in the future in order to regain some cap room?
Afaik a no-move clause doesn't allow a team to place a player on waivers without his consent. The only way to get rid of Drury would be a buyout.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:46 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Someone would snag him and then we'd have no player to show for that 3.5+ million.

Old
11-16-2009, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

You have to look at Drury as an injured player.3rd concussion of his career. Until he gets healthy enough to return,your premise about what happens if his play doesn't improve is secondary to his ability to play again. He is not doing anything right now. No off-ice conditioning. Until the PCS symptoms are gone,he can't do anything. When/if he really better to start getting ready to play again,he needs get into game shape. When Torts says Drury is out for a while,he is accurate.

The CBA prohibits an injured player from being bought out. The CBA prohibits an injured player from being sent to the minors. If Drury is not improving and is not able to play,the Rangers are stuck with him. He counts against the cap. Injured players count against the cap. The only option available to the Rangers is putting Drury on long term injury reserve which the Rangers can do because they are an upper limit team. They can put him on LTI and use that money on replacements. However,if/when Drury returns the Rangers have to shed the money and be in compliance with the cap. If Drury is not returning,the Rangers won't have to worry about. The LTI only benefits upper limit teams. If you have a roster with a $50 million cap #,you can't put a player on LTI and use that money on other players.The CBA penalizes teams for not being upper limit teams in regards to long term injuries. Always that was weird.

If a team has a player in the last season of his contract and that team wants to shed salary for nothing in return,call Slats.

Old
11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Section311

Is his NMC for the whole contract or does it expire any earlier?

Old
11-16-2009, 07:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
Is his NMC for the whole contract or does it expire any earlier?
Entire length.

Old
11-16-2009, 07:12 AM
The Perfect Paradox

The buy out, as I pointed out in another thread is the best option. But, adds 4M to the cap one season, I don't know if it's worth it.

Quote:
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,216,667
2011-2012: $4,216,667
2012-2013: $2,166,667
2013-2014: $2,166,667

Old
11-16-2009, 07:40 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
The buy out, as I pointed out in another thread is the best option. But, adds 4M to the cap one season, I don't know if it's worth it.
Why does it go 1-4-2-2? Isn't a buyout like 2/3 of the remaining contract over double the remaining years? Shouldn't it all be the same?

Old
11-16-2009, 07:43 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

No point in buying Drury out. Unlike Redden, his contract will be over before you know it. Only two years left after this one!

Old
11-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
No point in buying Drury out. Unlike Redden, his contract will be over before you know it. Only two years left after this one!
Its def possible that Drury plays out his contract but I wouldnt be suprised if they did buy him out next year. With Redden they would never buy him out just bury him in the minors.

Old
11-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Entire length.
Thanks

Old
11-16-2009, 09:12 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post

I can wait two years. Our young guys need more time to develop and Gabby and Henrik will still be in their prime.

I gotta hand it to Drury -- he's played a great financial ballgame.

Old
11-16-2009, 02:49 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Why does it go 1-4-2-2? Isn't a buyout like 2/3 of the remaining contract over double the remaining years? Shouldn't it all be the same?
Because it's not that simple. In years where the player would still be under contract, the difference between cap hit and actual salary in that year affects the buyout number.

Old
11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
morffin

Anyone else thinking his career is in jeopardy? This is his third concussion.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:06 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
Of course. I think he'll play again but he's at serious risk no matter what. After 3 you really have to think about long term negative effects and I'd have to think a quick 4th and he's done for the season. I feel bad for the guy.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Mjollnir9*

Quote:
Yeah. I think any speculation on Drury being moved, or bought out is pretty ridiculous right now. If he is unable to return and retires, it would not surprise me. Man, look what happened to Brian Westbrook from the Eagles this week. 2 concussions in 1 month. With the amount of headshots going on in the NHL, Drury will be one hit from retirement at all times.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

drury is a lot of htings, but hes a gamer...unless he simply is unable to play because of doctors orders, i find it hard to believe hes done.

with that said, i think buying him out is stupid...id much rather just let him run the course..hes only got what...2 years left?

Old
11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
morffin

I know Im going to sound like a cold hearted SOB ..but what are the cap implications if he retires because of his injuries?

Old
11-16-2009, 05:25 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
I know Im going to sound like a cold hearted SOB ..but what are the cap implications if he retires because of his injuries?
We would be free and clear... Dont worry cold hearted or not i think everyone has thought about it, its only natural. Although i think we are far away from that at this point.

Old
11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
We would be free and clear... Dont worry cold hearted or not i think everyone has thought about it, its only natural. Although i think we are far away from that at this point.
Im not so sure...third concussion for a vet who has nothing left to prove..would not be surprised if he calls it a day.

Thanks for the info.

Old
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Buyouts are based on actual dollar figures. He's owed 13 million in the last 2 years (8 in 10-11 and 5 in 11-12)

The buyout amount is 8.66 million, but it's cap hit minus savings.

So in 11-12 his buyout cap hit is higher because the money savings is less. So in essence, on a contract like Drury's which is frontloaded, the lower the amount in actual salary, the higher the cap hit since there is less actual savings.

Old
11-16-2009, 06:42 PM
eco's bones

I'm not a fan of Drury's but if this injury is the beginning of the end of his career that is a **** way to have it end. Glencross should be ashamed of himself for that hit.

From the Ranger's team perspective getting free from a $7 mil cap hit where the player in question isn't nearly worth the amount he's making would be a godsend at least after this season. For right now--they might have to do some scrambling to stay competitive. The short term implications kind of suck especially if you believe he's still capable of producing at past levels. Personally I have doubts that he could or would. The long term implications though are pretty good because he's never been worth what he's got from us and you would 'think' (operative word) that Slats might do better with that money the second time around.

Old
11-16-2009, 06:48 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I still say Peca is a serviceable center that plays with an edge that doesn't have a home or contract. If Drury's out, sign him to a one year deal. He's at least a 2nd or 3rd line center on this team if Drury isn't on it.

Old
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Shake and Bake

I hope he retires. Play it safe, Chris.

Old
11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
nevesis

Let's hope he retires. We could do alot with the money that would be freed up.

Closed Thread