HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#21 | New York Islanders vs. Boston Bruins | Nov 16 | 7:00p

Old
11-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
#21 | New York Islanders vs. Boston Bruins | Nov 16 | 7:00p

***SPECIAL "BEANPOT TROT" EDITION***

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Law

GAME PREVIEW

ISLANDERS (7-6-7) at BRUINS (8-7-4)

Last 10 -- New York 6-2-2; Boston 4-3-3.

Season series -- This is the second of four meetings between the teams. The Islanders blew a 3-0 lead late in the third period and ended up dropping a 4-3 shootout decision at Boston on Oct. 10.

Big story -- Monday marks the fourth game of the Islanders' season-long seven-game road trip, and they've yet to lose in regulation. New York is 1-0-2 in the first three and rallied from a 4-2 deficit in the third period to force overtime at Florida on Saturday. All three contests have gone past regulation.

Team scope:

Islanders -- While most prognosticators picked the Isles to finish at or near the bottom of the Eastern Conference, they currently find themselves in a three-way tie for sixth place in the East with Philadelphia and Atlanta and have earned points in 14 of their first 20 games.

With Saturday's shootout loss, the Islanders earned at least a point in a third straight road game for the first time since Jan. 13-22, 2008.

"We showed resilience in getting that point," forward Kyle Okposo said.

Bruins -- Boston is coming off a highly-frustrating loss, as it allowed Pittsburgh to erase a 5-4 deficit with just 0.4 seconds remaining in regulation en route to a 6-5 overtime defeat at Mellon Arena. Tim Thomas coughed up the puck behind his own net on the winning goal by Pascal Dupuis.

"I think we played a pretty good game and a couple of mistakes just cost us the extra point," Bruins forward Michael Ryder said. "We kept coming from behind all night and managed to get the lead there at the end. It was there for us, and when you're that close and lose one like that it's real frustrating."

Who's hot -- Islanders center John Tavares scored again on Saturday night, giving him three tallies in the past two games and eight on the season. Tavares leads all first-year players with 18 points (8 goals, 10 assists). … Derek Morris had a goal and an assist against the Pens to give him 11 points (2 goals, 9 assists). He's tied with Zdeno Chara for the team lead in points by a defenseman.

Injury report -- Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro is still working his way back from knee and hip injuries that were suffered last season. Numerous reports have the franchise goaltender back in the next 2-4 weeks. Captain Doug Weight is out 4-6 weeks with an upper-body injury and defenseman Radek Martinek (torn ACL) is out for the season. … Boston forwards Marc Savard (broken foot) and Milan Lucic (broken finger) are both out.

Stat pack -- Isles winger Trent Hunter has two goals in three games after missing 15 straight with an upper-body injury. … Ryder snapped a 10-game scoring drought on Saturday, while Blake Wheeler appeared in his 100th NHL game.

Puck drop -- No doubt, the Bruins are still steaming from Saturday night's loss, so the Islanders may have to weather the storm in the first period. One also has to wonder if the Isles still have that loss in Boston early in the season on their minds, when they were three goals ahead and less than seven minutes away from a victory.

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Matt MoulsonJohn TavaresRichard Park
Sean BergenheimFrans NielsenKyle Okposo
Jon SimJosh BaileyTrent Hunter
Blake ComeauNate ThompsonTim Jackman

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Mark StreitBruno Gervais
Freddy MeyerAndy Sutton
Jack HillenAndy MacDonald

..............................G..............................
Martin Biron
Dwayne Roloson

INSIDE SHOTS:

Who is Matt Moulson and what in the world is he doing playing on the first line for the New York Islanders?

With each passing game that question gets answered as Moulson, who came to Long Island as a minor-league free agent over the summer, continues to show tremendous chemistry with No. 1 overall draft pick and high-profile linemate John Tavares.

The 26-year-old left wing already has 16 points in 20 games, including five in his last four appearances entering Monday's game in Boston. Not bad for a player who had appeared in only 29 NHL games in three previous seasons in the Kings organization.

"Sometimes when a guy is that age, you wonder, 'Why hasn't he made it?" head coach Scott Gordon said. "Sometimes you look for the flaws first instead of the assets."

Gordon remembered being impressed with Moulson's game when both were toiling in the AHL, and the unheralded forward quickly has rewarded his coach's faith with eight goals and eight assists.

"I just needed a chance -- a true chance -- to show what I can do," Moulson told Newsday.

PANTHERS 5, ISLANDERS 4 (SO): The Islanders sported a two-goal lead barely four minutes into the first period and trailed by two goals more than eight minutes into the third. So where did they end up? In overtime, of course, for an NHL-high 10th time in 20 games, before Nathan Horton beat Isles goalie Dwayne Roloson with a wrister in the fourth round of the shootout to drop the Isles to 7-6-7 on the season.

NOTES & QUOTES:
• C Josh Bailey, the Islanders' first-round pick (ninth overall) in the 2008 entry draft, was a healthy scratch Friday night in Carolina before returning to the lineup one night later in Florida. Bailey recorded an assist but has only six points in 19 appearances this season.

• LW Jeff Tambellini had been far more productive than Bailey, with six goals in a five-game span in late October, including his first career hat trick on Oct. 31 against Buffalo. But those marked the only goals for Tambellini this season, and he has been a healthy scratch for two consecutive games. "I just thought it was the right time," head coach Scott Gordon said.

Quote To Note:

"We've been good that way. We showed a lot of resilience getting two points Friday night (in an overtime win in Carolina), and we showed that again by coming back down two goals tonight. It's good we got four out of six points on the road here."
—Kyle Okposo, who scored the game-tying goal in the third period before the Islanders dropped a 5-4 decision in a shootout Saturday at Florida.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• C John Tavares had a goal and an assist in a 5-4 shootout loss Saturday in Florida, giving him a team-best 18 points, including seven in his last four appearances.

• RW Trent Hunter scored for the second time in three games after missing 15 with a chest injury.

• RW Tim Jackman scored his second goal of the season just 16 seconds into the first period.

Medical Watch:

• G Rick DiPietro, who hasn't play since Jan. 5 of last season due to lingering effects from multiple surgeries on his right knee, has resumed practicing but isn't expected back until at least late November.

• D Radek Martinek suffered a torn ACL in his right knee on Nov. 6 against New Jersey and will miss the remainder of the season.

• C Doug Weight suffered an undisclosed upper body injury Nov. 6 and is expected to be out 4-to-6 weeks.

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Marco SturmPatrice BergeronMark Recchi
Blake WheelerDavid KrejciMichael Ryder
Daniel PailleVladimir SobotkaBrad Marchand
Shawn ThorntonSteve BeginByron Bitz

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Zdeno CharaDerek Morris
Dennis WidemanMark Stuart
Andrew FerenceMatt Hunwick

..............................G..............................
Tim Thomas
Tuukka Rask

INSIDE SHOTS:

The season is almost at the quarter pole, and there's no way for coach Claude Julien to know what kind of hockey team he really has.

With Marc Savard and Milan Lucic hurt and Phil Kessel now scoring goals in Toronto, the Bruins remain an enigma at 8-7-4 through 19 games.

They broke out of their scoring slump Saturday night, but they've done that before, only to follow up with games where they can't put the puck in the net. After scoring one goal in three games recently, they then had four in one game, three in the next (one into an empty net) and then got blanked for the third time in six games.

They have lost five of their last seven games (2-3-2), capped by Saturday night's late disaster in Pittsburgh.

Now, they play host to the feisty Islanders before going on the road for four straight games.

PENGUINS 6, BRUINS 5 (OT): The Bruins battled back from four one-goal deficits Saturday night, only to hand the game away right at the end.

They led 5-4 and had the puck deep in Pittsburgh territory with 10 seconds left in regulation, but Bill Guerin scored with four-tenths of a second left to force OT. Then, Tim Thomas and Dennis Wideman couldn't get together on a loose puck behind the net and the game was gone, 1:24 into overtime.

"I think we played a pretty good game, and a couple of mistakes just cost us the extra point," said right wing Michael Ryder, who scored his first goal in 11 games. "We kept coming from behind all night and managed to get the lead there at the end. It was there for us, and when you're that close and lose one like that it's real frustrating.

"I know the guys are pretty upset right now. When you let one like that get away it's pretty frustrating."

Blake Wheeler, Derek Morris, David Krejci and Marco Sturm also scored for the Bruins, who gave Thomas a rare (for this year, anyway) show of offensive support. Thomas played a strong game but was shaky on the tying and winning goals. Krejci scored during a 5-on-3, and Sturm then followed to make it 5-4.

NOTES & QUOTES:
• C David Krejci ended a streak of six straight games without a point with a goal and an assist, just a day after his coach called for him to shake off the effects of offseason hip surgery and no preseason games and start producing. "I'm certainly not unsympathetic to what he's gone through," said Bruins coach Claude Julien. "No doubt he didn't get the same advantage as anybody else to get himself ready because he was limited to not much (in workouts) in the middle of the summer. (But) we're in the second month of the season now. We've been on the ice for two months. Somewhere along the way, whether it's extra work on the ice, in the gym or everything else, you've just got to work your way through it. It's up to him to work through it. He's got to find his game and work through the glitches he seems to have right now. There's no doubt he's probably pressing. Sometimes when guys press they don't take the right approach to get themselves out of it."

• G Tim Thomas had received five goals of offensive support in the eight games he had lost before Saturday night and then saw his teammates score five in a 6-5 overtime loss at Pittsburgh.

• The Bruins had scored 11 goals in their previous eight games and had been shut out in their last two road games before scoring five goals Saturday night.

• The Bruins are one of several teams considering signing Peter Forsberg should Forsberg decide to make a comeback attempt in the NHL. "He's a Bruins-type player," said general manager Peter Chiarelli. "He's strong on the puck. Plays with an edge."

• The B's have killed 20 straight opposition power plays and 34 of the last 35.

Quote To Note:

"We scored goals, yeah, and we got a point, which was nice, but that's not our system we're going to play. We did things we don't normally do, and we did them all in one game. We're lucky to get a point."
—Bruins defenseman Derek Morris after Saturday night's overtime loss at Pittsburgh.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• RW Michael Ryder snapped a 10-game goal-less streak with a tally Saturday night.

• LW Blake Wheeler, playing in his 100th NHL game, scored for the first time in seven games Saturday night.

• C Vladimir Sobotka doesn't have a point in seven games, since a two-point effort against Edmonton.

Medical Watch:

• C Marc Savard (broken foot) and LW Milan Lucic (broken finger) are both on long-term IR, but Lucic is practicing and should return in one of the four games on an upcoming road trip and Savard is expected to be out of his walking boot this week.

Lucic has been told he can't fight when he returns.

"The tendons and ligaments get stiff in the joints, and that's probably the main reason it feels a little off," Lucic said. "They are not moving like the rest of the fingers. But again, mobility is getting better in the finger and every day is a step closer to getting back in the lineup."

• D Dennis Wideman took a shot off the ankle Saturday night but was able to finish the game.

Old
11-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Strummergas

Wow, someone's up bright and early on a Monday morning! Great job as always Law!

Let's see how much energy the guys have tonight. Another 3 game in four nights scenario. Thank god for the Olympics!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 07:53 AM
E_Godard

Just heard Piere McGuire on the radio saying he told Garth Snow our team is 1 top 6 forward away from the playoffs. Somewhat surprising comment with the current state of our D.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Wow, someone's up bright and early on a Monday morning! Great job as always Law!
Home sick today and wanted to get it done before I crawled back into bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
Just heard Piere McGuire on the radio saying he told Garth Snow our team is 1 top 6 forward away from the playoffs. Somewhat surprising comment with the current state of our D.
Botta was talking about this on PointBlank the other day...
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...on-biron-deal/
Would love to be wrong, but I tend to side with Botta. Don't see Biron bringing back a top 6 F or top 4 D haul at this point in the season, but we'll see. Either way, I have $20 on DP re-injuring the hip 3 days after we deal Biron.

Old
11-16-2009, 08:20 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Botta was talking about this on PointBlank the other day...
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...on-biron-deal/
Would love to be wrong, but I tend to side with Botta. Don't see Biron bringing back a top 6 F or top 4 D haul at this point in the season, but we'll see. Either way, I have $20 on DP re-injuring the hip 3 days after we deal Biron.
Oh must have missed that.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Strummergas

Feel better Law.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:35 AM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Looking forward to this tilt with Boston. They've not been the same team this year that they were last year. If we skate for 60 min, play our game, we can take it.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Hip Of Rick

Lets win 8 games this year!!!(maybe even one in regulation)

I hope Sim and Schremp are the healthy scratches tonight.

Would like to see Tambo given a shot with Moulson and JT as Park and his team worst -9 are not cutting it defensively or offensively.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
It's gonna take a hard fought 3 periods of hockey.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
It's gonna take a hard fought 3 periods of hockey.
plus an OT and maybe a shoot-out, they are the Islanders after all!!

Old
11-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Even sick, you make a great GDT! I'm under the weather also, damn head congestion. I will miss the beginning of the game, but should be back home by the late second period. Hope I come home and see we're winning.

11-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Even sick, you make a great GDT! I'm under the weather also, damn head congestion. I will miss the beginning of the game, but should be back home by the late second period. Hope I come home and see we're winning.
DVR is the best investment anyone who's a sports fan can make...

Oh and feel better law! If KO can come back from H1N1 and score a goal and an assist, you will even have a better GDT on Friday ;-P. Although everyone knows your GDT are already impossible to top. You the man!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Lets win 8 games this year!!!(maybe even one in regulation)

I hope Sim and Schremp are the healthy scratches tonight.

Would like to see Tambo given a shot with Moulson and JT as Park and his team worst -9 are not cutting it defensively or offensively.
Can Tamby play RW? Thats the problem. Now, as to why he isn't on the left side of the Hunter/Bailey unit I have no idea. Jon Sim sucks.

Hipster Doofus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
isleskovalchuk

I think I finally get a game on TV live.... This is going to be a real tough test, 3 games in4 days playing a Boston team that can really breakout at any moment.

Looking forward to seeing what Macdonald can go on D with Witter out. Going to be a very tough hard fought game, we will need 4 goals to win this one I believe.

LETS GO ISLES!

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Can Tamby play RW? Thats the problem. Now, as to why he isn't on the left side of the Hunter/Bailey unit I have no idea. Jon Sim sucks.

His name is Gorton, they call him a twit.
Quick with the Park, always on the OT unit.
And when we score, it's never enough,
Because I don't teach defense in the Beanpot Trot.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Law

Not that being sick is ever fun, but in NY, at least it was usually crappy and cold out, made it a little easier when you were stuck inside in bed.

Down here, it's 78 and sunny outside right now. It's like being sick during the summer up there, it sucks.

Isle victory tonight would make me feel better.

Old
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
DVR is the best investment anyone who's a sports fan can make...

Oh and feel better law! If KO can come back from H1N1 and score a goal and an assist, you will even have a better GDT on Friday ;-P. Although everyone knows your GDT are already impossible to top. You the man!

I got one. I can set up a maximum of 2 recordings at a time. I know my brother is recording something already. Got to see if I got one more space to record. DVR's rule!!!

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
PuttinOnTheFoil624

let's try and get a win in LESS than four periods this game!

and one more thing......

PuttinOnTheFoil624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
I did not think about that, but its obvious that park is not working out, so it can't hurt to try a guy on his off wing with Moulson and JT.

Old
11-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I did not think about that, but its obvious that park is not working out, so it can't hurt to try a guy on his off wing with Moulson and JT.
Only guys who would fit are Okposo and Comeau. Everyone else is off wing, to slow, or not skilled enough. We could try him but I remember him addressing that and saying he doesn't like his off wing.

Regardless, they need to find a way to fit him in, he was playing some effective hockey and finished his chances on the PP (when they let him play there). I've always hated the "he needs a chance!!!" crowd, but for once they are right. Just play the kid and give him PP minutes.

Hipster Doofus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Only guys who would fit are Okposo and Comeau. Everyone else is off wing, to slow, or not skilled enough. We could try him but I remember him addressing that and saying he doesn't like his off wing.

Regardless, they need to find a way to fit him in, he was playing some effective hockey and finished his chances on the PP (when they let him play there). I've always hated the "he needs a chance!!!" crowd, but for once they are right. Just play the kid and give him PP minutes.
I was thinking Comeau would be an option, but with his poor play he could easily be a healthy scratch in my view, so it tough to reward him with first line minutes. Okposo on that lien with Franz and Bergie seems to give us some type of secondary scoring threat, so I think the only option would be to try Tambo there for at least a game or two.

Old
11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Islanderfan72

Huge test tonight. I feel like I say this every game but at this point every game is a test. Boston is right behind us with 20 points so it would be nice to beat them on the road. Its a good feeling knowing that this team can not be taken lightly anymore.

LETS GO ISLANDERS

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Brewin8

Someone on Bruins board said to check out the Isles GDT - compliments to the chef - very nice..
hope for a good game tonite
cheers

Brewin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewin8 View Post
Someone on Bruins board said to check out the Isles GDT - compliments to the chef - very nice..
hope for a good game tonite
cheers
Its just the Law. Thats how he rolls........

Bones45 is online now   Reply With Quote