HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

11/16/09 Has anyone stopped caring?

View Poll Results: Has anyone stopped caring?
Yep, as a fan I have 29 25.66%
The players have 8 7.08%
The coaching staff has 0 0%
No, effort is there still 12 10.62%
No, as I fan I still care 52 46.02%
Other, please explain 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2009, 10:13 AM
BlueBelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Nope. I don't think anyone here has. If we did, we wouldn't be here posting (complaining) about the team.
Ah, but what's interesting is that I have definitely seen a drop off in people posting and reading threads. We are definitely down in numbers, but the people who are here are the ones that seem to be glutons for punishment. I just wanted to know what everyone was feeling. I was thinking a little later on today we can have some trust falls and cry it out.

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
I care, but it's getting more maddening by the day. As a fan of the Oil, living in the maritimes, it makes it doubly sour when i stay up late (mind you, this road trip hasen't been late), and watch them put in such weak-sauce efforts.

This team looked like a different team than year's past after the first 5 games. Then everything that was ever wrong before, became wrong again. Too numerous to name for sure.

My most hated play to watch now is the Hemmer to Horcoff cross-slot pass where Horcoff either whiffs his 1-timer or sends it directly into the goalie's pads. It's pathetic to watch.
Which is now getting replaced by Hemsky to O'Sullivan who can't seem to get anything, even if he has a wide open net.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 11-16-2009 at 10:22 AM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:16 AM
deanmoriarty

I most definitely care and want to see them do well. Nothing would make me happier than this team turning it around and making the playoffs. But if they continue to suck and end up with a lottery pick I'll be glad too, it's the only way the Oil will ever acquire an elite offensive player.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
Ah, but what's interesting is that I have definitely seen a drop off in people posting and reading threads. We are definitely down in numbers, but the people who are here are the ones that seem to be glutons for punishment. I just wanted to know what everyone was feeling. I was thinking a little later on today we can have some trust falls and cry it out.
Its not because of the Oilers and how they are playing but there is ALOT of debbie downers here now. You can't seem to have a discussion on these boards without someone bringing up the following

-Kevin Lowe
-Drafting Marc Pouliot
-Pronger Trade
-Horcoff's salary

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
OilerzFRLife

NO i still care about it. i tell myself i dont care but deep down every loss eats away at my soul.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
I most definitely care and want to see them do well. Nothing would make me happier than this team turning it around and making the playoffs. But if they continue to suck and end up with a lottery pick I'll be glad too, it's the only way the Oil will ever acquire an elite offensive player.
we are far to good a team to finish bottom 3. well its not that were good but we have mediocre role players that will make us mediocre. and a pretty good blueline so lottery pick prob wont happen and prob wont in the future with the team in place right now. i can only see acquiring an elite offensive player through trade. besides even if we get taylor hall our development is soo bad that he probably would be a much better player elsewhere. AND if he goes straight to the nhl we dont really have a player that can take him under their wing.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Doswell

I still care but it's the caring the creates the frustration.

You can't win. You either care and end up getting really frustrated, or you don't care and a bit of you dies.

The biggest annoyance for me is that I'd love to give all the players a dose of truth serum and then ask them exactly the same question.

I say that because people who genuinely care about the results don't make the same mistakes night after night, dismiss them with the same platitudes, and then go out and do it again.

It p*sses me off more than I can say that an increasing number of people in the organization, and this started at the very top, don't seem to feel a pang of guilt for their pitiful performance.

Doswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doswell View Post
I still care but it's the caring the creates the frustration.

You can't win. You either care and end up getting really frustrated, or you don't care and a bit of you dies.

The biggest annoyance for me is that I'd love to give all the players a dose of truth serum and then ask them exactly the same question.

I say that because people who genuinely care about the results don't make the same mistakes night after night, dismiss them with the same platitudes, and then go out and do it again.

It p*sses me off more than I can say that an increasing number of people in the organization, and this started at the very top, don't seem to feel a pang of guilt for their pitiful performance.

i get the feeling theres a lot of pre madonnas on oilers. because we've never really competed hard consistently for mroe than 5 or 6 games and have never put out a product that wows the fans. and looking at the team its not a problem of talent its just effort and heart IMO. last yaer that team had no heart and quinn is struggling right now to transplant one into this team. look at the start of the season. the teams pumped to play hockey cause its been so long and we so 6-2-1. after that?? we begin to tumble. i think its just pre madonnas who come out some nights if they feel like it and others not so much.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:40 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Yes.
Then you shouldnt come here and post with your typical remarks

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
danjo1

I still care how the team does... will I go out of my way to watch a game? Probably not.... I'm just tired of having my heart broken every single game.

danjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:42 AM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
It's a good thing, lowering our expectations this early in the season - that way if anything positive happens, it's just that much better =D

In reality, I'm happy the Oilers are playing better, they are getting chances, hitting posts, battling sometimes in front of the net. PK is a bit more aggressive and hey it is better ranked than last year and change takes a while to implement. We've been decimated with illness and injuries and it's not like we were projected to finish top 4 in the Western Conference like last season. Push comes to shove, I'd much rather finish in the bottom 5 instead of 9th or 10th place!

The Canucks last season went 0-6-3 during a stretch so it's not too late to turn things around.

Who would have thought the Hurricanes who went to the Semi-Finals last season end up with a 14 game losing streak in an era where ties have become obsolete.

At the end of the day - we are still just 4 points away from a playoff spot so it's not like it's running away.
Considering the circumstances, the sky hasn't fallen yet!

Many of us were hoping the development of Gagner would be faster than this....

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:43 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoo View Post
It's a good thing lol, lowering our expectations this early in the season - that way if anything positive happens, it's just that much better =D

In reality, I'm happy the Oilers are playing better, they are getting chances, hitting posts, battling sometimes in front of the net. PK is a bit more aggressive and hey it is better ranked than last year and change takes a while to implement. We've been decimated with illness and injuries and it's not like we were projected to finish in the top 4 in the Western Conference like last season. Push comes to shove, I'd much rather finish in the bottom 5 instead of 9th or 10th place!

The Canucks last season went 0-6-3 during a stretch so it's not too late to turn things around.

Who would have thought the Hurricanes who went to the Semi-Finals last season end up with a 14 game losing streak in an era where ties have become obsolete.
no it just means if we do well our expectations will be raised again and we will certainly be disappointed like we are every year

Old
11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
BlueBelle

Quote:
It's a good thing, lowering our expectations this early in the season - that way if anything positive happens, it's just that much better =D

Old
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
deanmoriarty

It's easy to forget that this team had a few games in October where they played better than we've seen since the cup run. I feel like watching that 6-4 win over CBJ a few more times to give me some hope. They've been hosed by injuries/flu and still have lots of time to turn it around.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:03 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:

In reality, I'm happy the Oilers are playing better, they are getting chances, hitting posts, battling sometimes in front of the net. PK is a bit more aggressive and hey it is better ranked than last year and change takes a while to implement. We've been decimated with illness and injuries and it's not like we were projected to finish top 4 in the Western Conference like last season. Push comes to shove, I'd much rather finish in the bottom 5 instead of 9th or 10th place!

At the end of the day - we are still just 4 points away from a playoff spot so it's not like it's running away.
Considering the circumstances, the sky hasn't fallen yet!

Many of us were hoping the development of Gagner would be faster than this....

What the hell are you thinking bringing positivity to this board, you stupid fanboy, homer The Oilers are obviously a bad team and will no doubt tank Stop making excuses, this team is full of a bunch of losers who have no hockey IQ, they play soft, the cavalry is not coming so just knock it off already

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I put other as I obviously care enough to find out if they have won or lost. But I am at the point where I don't care if they win or lose. I will not get all upset if they lose and put up the jumper warning like some here do. To me there positives of this team winning and loosing.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I put other as I obviously care enough to find out if they have won or lost. But I am at the point where I don't care if they win or lose. I will not get all upset if they lose and put up the jumper warning like some here do. To me there positives of this team winning and loosing.
i tell myself after a loss taht i dont care but really i do and it cuts me deep. we ahve won 2 of our last 11 games i believe. im on suicide watch

Old
11-16-2009, 11:25 AM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
i tell myself after a loss taht i dont care but really i do and it cuts me deep. we ahve won 2 of our last 11 games i believe. im on suicide watch
You, me and another poster from this board that I talk to a lot... Its getting ridiculous! I'm still walking around the office with my Oilers coffee mug and water bottle, but with my head hanging low

Old
11-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Lounge Act*

I still care but Edmonton should be called the City of Chumps now

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
You, me and another poster from this board that I talk to a lot... Its getting ridiculous! I'm still walking around the office with my Oilers coffee mug and water bottle, but with my head hanging low
It's alright I walked around downtown Vancouver all weekend with my Oilers jacket. It was a riot, I received a lot of dirty looks.

Like I said step away from the ledge or else I will have to bring RJ back. You don't realize how fortunate you guys are right now.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:31 AM
hockeyaddict101

It is time for the desperate prediction. I am 2-0 when I make this prediction.

It will be a low-scoring, close came.

So far whenever I have made that prediction it has been high scoring, close and the Oilers have won.

Let's see if I can make it 3-0 today.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:36 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
I still care, but this is now the second season that I've been living overseas for, and rarely get to watch games anymore. I can only watch/listen to afternoon games or stay up until 2-4am local time for puck drop.

Last season I often made the effort to stay up late enough to catch a 1st period or get up early enough to catch a 3rd, but this season, especially after a long offseason of pretty much zero player movement, I just can't be arsed to put myself through that. I still care, I still read every blog and news post about the team, I still participate regularly here, but I find myself questioning more and more why I do, especially after a stinker of a game like yesterday's.

And before anyone of you points at me with the "Z0MG TRUE FANS NEVAR STOP CARING LOL BEAT IT BANDWAGONNER" garbage, know that I've been cheering my little heart out for this team longer than most of you have been alive and will never truly stop cheering for them. I just cheer a little quieter these days. Maybe once someone from the team shows a pulse and that they actually give a damn I'll start feeling differently, but since everyone from the owner on down seems content being a perpetual 10th place loser, I dunno.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:36 AM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Nope. I don't think anyone here has. If we did, we wouldn't be here posting (complaining) about the team.
Tru dat

The sign for me that I still care was when I went into a mini *****-fit after that pathetic performance yesterday.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I care, I know it and the current situation makes me grumpy. What I am doing right now is distancing myself a bit to minimize that grumpy.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I'm pretty much there.

It's been a slow grind since that 2006 cup run, but my care level is at an all-time low.

This team has degenerated into one of the running jokes of the NHL.

I used to post on here 15 times a day. Now, I might post that often in a week.

You can only get your hopes up only to have them crushed so many times before you stop getting your hopes up ...
OOF, your last line is exactly how I feel, I find myself enjoying other games more even though I am not cheering for anybody in particular. The thing is, the powers that be don't seem to want to at least offer us some hope. They just keep sending out the same 8-14th place team and I for one have lost faith in management because of it. I am now more of a Hockey fan then an Oilers fan.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote