HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/16/09 Has anyone stopped caring?

View Poll Results: Has anyone stopped caring?
Yep, as a fan I have 29 25.66%
The players have 8 7.08%
The coaching staff has 0 0%
No, effort is there still 12 10.62%
No, as I fan I still care 52 46.02%
Other, please explain 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 9950
True fans never stop caring.

What is frustrating is watching this group go through the motions collecting their paychecks with seemingly no effort or accountability.

It's looking more and more like the coaching staff is at its wits end with this group.

And so maybe Tambo actually blows the dust off his phone and finds a trade out there.

Is there any player on the Oilers that would be upset if traded? I doubt it.

Nobody seems to want to play here. And why should they?

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
I voted other, for the simple reason that I want to care (and obviously still do); but - and this is reminiscent of the past few years - the management seems unwilling to make meaningful moves; going after the big names aside (or maybe it is indicative of it), the past gives me the impression that they either want a king's ransom for their players, or they are stubbornly holding on to them despite the results. Trade a few of the players 'we' have in abundance to address holes - Cogliano nor Hemsky is the next Gretzky, nor are any of them, but I have to believe he/they would fetch something if put on the market. Management has done little to address glaring weaknesses that are not new to this season. I wish they would do something, as it would help me to have more faith in them.

Trades may or may not be the answer, but at least it would be something. The current team (with a couple exceptions) didn't do it last year or the year before, what makes some think they are magically going to become something they are not. The sames holes are still the same holes, they do not need to be PhD's to see this.

edit: This keeps up and my avatar will be going back to the paper bag.
Although I agree with pretty much everything you say, I still can't get past all the man games lost for the Oilers over the last three years. That has to wear on the players heads. They came into this year with a fresh coaching staff and started pretty strong, and then...

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Fishy Scales

vCash: 500
I'm not going to judge the team until they're fully recovered from the flu bug and have a practically full lineup.

I think it's starting to show that they're getting back on track. It's a shame we lost Grebs now that people are getting back, but I'm more positive about the future. They had a lot of bad luck in Atlanta too.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

I find the toughest thing is when we're playing teams that are committed and well coached playing their system and dedicated and you see the Oilers facing that..

The Buffalo game was very enjoyable but for all the wrong reasons. Honestly I just appreciated the opportunity to see one team playing well.

I have to say that overall the standard of play this year in the NHL has been abysmal. In games involving the Oil I've seen a handful of good performances from either club.

I remember when the Oil brought out the best from other clubs.

Now on most nights its play your AHL goalie, play half ass, and poor quality games by both sides on most nights.

This is just poor quality hockey right now. The worst I've seen since 95.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I'm pretty much there.

It's been a slow grind since that 2006 cup run, but my care level is at an all-time low.

This team has degenerated into one of the running jokes of the NHL.

I used to post on here 15 times a day. Now, I might post that often in a week.

You can only get your hopes up only to have them crushed so many times before you stop getting your hopes up ...
Right there with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Other Little Mikey

Edmonton C Sam Gagner doubtful to play tonight vs. CBJ with lower body injury.

Dispatch'sTom Reed: #CBJ D Commodore and LW Filatov likely healthy scratches; G Steve Mason (back spasms) will serve as Garon's backup.

http://twitter.com/Aportzline

S'matter with Samwise?

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Other Little Mikey

P.S. This still isn't as bad as the 90s, if for no other reason than that all came on the heels of dismantling the greatest team ever.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
P.S. This still isn't as bad as the 90s, if for no other reason than that all came on the heels of dismantling the greatest team ever.
But with the 90's clubs you knew they were losing because they just couldn't match up. On most nights we were playing clubs with twice the payroll and talent.

It was amazingly bearable except when Arnott opened his yap.

By 96 I quite liked where that Oiler team was headed. It was a bunch that had to work hard for any win and led by the very likable Doug Weight.

I see nobody on this club who brings the level of commitment and care that Doug Weight and later Ryan Smyth did.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I haven't stopped caring, but I'm definitely not as emotionally invested. In previous years, an Oilers loss would ruin my entire day. Now, I only need about an hour to forget about the game and move on.

I do want to start following a second team that plays a more exciting, more entertaining, more consistent, more effective brand of hockey. Not that I'd ever look at replacing Edmonton as #1, but it would be nice to have a team that I could feel good about.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 9950
It also sucks to watch other organizations improve by plugging holes during the summer and executing a "game plan" during the season.

The Oilers seems to be happy with, "Nillson will be better this year. Maybe Schremp will crack the line-up under a new coach. Size doesn't matter. Face-offs aren't that important."

Running on the spot.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm pretty numb about it, yeah. I still like to talk about the team, which is why I post on boards such as this one, but it's becoming harder and harder to care. I can't stomach the thought of cheering for another team, it's just not an option, so when the Oilers suck the NHL is pretty irrelevant to me.

One can only imagine how kids today feel about the Oilers. The Oil might be losing dozens of future fans by the month. I suffered through those mid-90's teams but I also knew that they were good once having witnessed the 1990 Cup and a couple more years of good teams following that.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I haven't stopped caring, but I'm definitely not as emotionally invested. In previous years, an Oilers loss would ruin my entire day. Now, I only need about an hour to forget about the game and move on.
Pretty much where I've been at for over a year now.

I still care for sure, but this team is in such a gigantic mess that it's better for my quality of life if I unplug from them when they're playing like this.

After the initial euphoria wore off, they're looking disturbingly like the same group of sad sacks from last year that took the "playing just well enough to lose" formula and turned it into an art form.

There is such a black cloud over this team, I can't help but wonder if Quinn will resign at the end of this season out of disgust if major changes to the makeup of this team aren't made.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
BOUNCE

I honestly stopped caring. I though this team was different after the first 8 games. After they came back and won that Columbus game at home I though things would be different. Well after that it seemed like Pat Quinns aura has faded away. We seem to be playing uninspired Mactavish hockey again.

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
The Forechecker

This thread and its posts in the general are in direct conflict with my RL experiences.

In RL fans I talk to are frustrated like me but changing teams and giving up on the oilers this quickly is not even on the table.

I guess it just shows how many fairweather fans there are here. I am glad that my clients, friends and family in RL are not as flakey as this board. Thinking everything has to happen now....

When you jump to another board until they go on a losing streak....please dont come back. Knowledgeable hockey fans knew it wasnt 100% MacT...and we are still learning a new system with a revolving door of players coming and going, in and out. Very few teams will compete in that situation.

Until we are healthy for a couple games its impossible to even say where we stand. Regardless....some of us are Oiler fans...some of us are winning team fans.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I find the toughest thing is when we're playing teams that are committed and well coached playing their system and dedicated and you see the Oilers facing that..

The Buffalo game was very enjoyable but for all the wrong reasons. Honestly I just appreciated the opportunity to see one team playing well.

I have to say that overall the standard of play this year in the NHL has been abysmal. In games involving the Oil I've seen a handful of good performances from either club.

I remember when the Oil brought out the best from other clubs.

Now on most nights its play your AHL goalie, play half ass, and poor quality games by both sides on most nights.

This is just poor quality hockey right now. The worst I've seen since 95.

Wow, really? The hockey in the 2 years prior to this year was way worse than it's been this year (at least as far as Oiler games are concerned)

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Forechecker View Post
This thread and its posts in the general are in direct conflict with my RL experiences.

In RL fans I talk to are frustrated like me but changing teams and giving up on the oilers this quickly is not even on the table.

I guess it just shows how many fairweather fans there are here. I am glad that my clients, friends and family in RL are not as flakey as this board. Thinking everything has to happen now....

When you jump to another board until they go on a losing streak....please dont come back. Knowledgeable hockey fans knew it wasnt 100% MacT...and we are still learning a new system with a revolving door of players coming and going, in and out. Very few teams will compete in that situation.

Until we are healthy for a couple games its impossible to even say where we stand. Regardless....some of us are Oiler fans...some of us are winning team fans.
Honestly, we're all Oilers fans if we're posting here (with the exception of a few who seem to take great pleasure in reminding us how "bad" the team is). There just comes a point where the investment just completely disappears. It's been a long, long three years and it's turning into four very quickly. It'd be nice to have a healthy team because I think that the line-up that started the year is quite good, but it's an unrealistic hope and the Oilers' depth is hurting.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:12 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:

Yep exactly..... Honestly, people who stop caring about the Oilers are not true Oiler fans, they are fairweather fans, sorry but it's the truth. True fans are the ones who stick with their team through thick and thin (but of course can be critical of them) and i see too many people on here giving up on the team, i guarantee you people will be back if the Oilers went on another 6-2 type run GUARANTEED and that's the definition of a fairweather fan.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yep exactly..... Honestly, people who stop caring about the Oilers are not true Oiler fans, they are fairweather fans, sorry but it's the truth. True fans are the ones who stick with their team through thick and thin (but of course can be critical of them) and i see too many people on here giving up on the team, i guarantee you people will be back if the Oilers went on another 6-2 type run GUARANTEED and that's the definition of a fairweather fan.
I don't really think that's fair. There are a lot of posters on here that react emotionally to losses, myself included. It takes quite a bit of effort for me to calm myself down and convince myself that it's just a game and it doesn't really matter.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Honestly, we're all Oilers fans if we're posting here (with the exception of a few who seem to take great pleasure in reminding us how "bad" the team is). There just comes a point where the investment just completely disappears. It's been a long, long three years and it's turning into four very quickly. It'd be nice to have a healthy team because I think that the line-up that started the year is quite good, but it's an unrealistic hope and the Oilers' depth is hurting.

Then change teams...I just dont think real fans cheer for teams only when they are winning and jump bandwagons when they are not. Your idea of what a fan is must be different then mine.

I would consider us all hockey fans, but oiler fans? Not true Oiler fans.

I dont mind people leaving and cheering for other teams when "their current" team starts losing, its a free continent...I just dont recognize them as oiler fans...and hope they dont come back.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Then change teams...I just dont think real fans cheer for teams only when they are winning and jump bandwagons when they are not. You idea of wha a fan is must be different then mine.

I dont mind, people leaving and cheering for other teams when "their current" team starts losing, its a free continent...I just dont recognize them as oiler fans...and hope they dont come back.
I always cheer for the Oilers. Always. I want them to win every night but it's just not worth wrecking yourself emotionally when things are sour.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
frag2

Quote:
Then change teams...I just dont think real fans cheer for teams only when they are winning and jump bandwagons when they are not. Your idea of what a fan is must be different then mine.

I dont mind people leaving and cheering for other teams when "their current" team starts losing, its a free continent...I just dont recognize them as oiler fans...and hope they dont come back.
Sounds like a charming BC fox to me

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Sounds like a charming BC fox to me
Now, now.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Does anybody know what Stone's status is?

Old
11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

vCash: 400
I think there are 4 stages of being a fan:

Unconditional supporter.
Unconditional critic.
Mad/Bitter beer face fan.
Apathy.

The worst thing that can happen to a team is to become irrelevant to the fan base. I remember this happening to the flames in the 90s and I see it happening to the Oilers fans now. It took the Flames more than 5 years to get out of this funk. I hardly ever hear Oilers talk by the water cooler anymore, this used to be a daily occurance.

For myself, I've gone through all 4 stages and now the team is starting to become irrelevant. Win, lose, ties...whatever. If the games on and I'm not busy, I'll watch. But I'm not going out of my way to catch a game anymore. I rarely read articles exclusively involving the Oil anymore either...half the time I'll just scroll down to check out the sunshine girl. It's a shame really.

All I've been hearing for the past five years is about accountability, but somehow those at the top seem to be and continue to be excluded from this. I still check in once in a while to see if something miraculous has occurred, eventhough I'm not expect it. Oh well, at least the sunshine girl is hot.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
I'm not going to judge the team until they're fully recovered from the flu bug and have a practically full lineup.

I think it's starting to show that they're getting back on track. It's a shame we lost Grebs now that people are getting back, but I'm more positive about the future. They had a lot of bad luck in Atlanta too.
I love this comment"I think it's starting to show that they're getting back on track." No when they get back on track is when the effort, heart, and actually winning games becomes a regularity. Bad luck and bad bounces are just excuses which you think after three years of no playoffs would begin to resonate even for the most optimistic fan of this team.
I do care and frankly I admit I am tired of watching this team lose and the litany of excuses come out of the players. Frankly, this coaching staff does seem frustrated and I hope eventually this will translate into some player transactions.
The young players on this team need leadership and the man to do it is Sheldon Souray, not Ethan Moreau.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote