HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

11/16/09 Has anyone stopped caring?

View Poll Results: Has anyone stopped caring?
Yep, as a fan I have 29 25.66%
The players have 8 7.08%
The coaching staff has 0 0%
No, effort is there still 12 10.62%
No, as I fan I still care 52 46.02%
Other, please explain 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Copperhead

vCash: 500
This team is still incredibly frustrating to watch. Even last year with MacT they'd have games where they would look like the could win the division. But far too often they come up with efforts like yesterday. Playing against a tired team and you manage 1 shot on goal for the first 15 minutes? Pathetic.

I feel like the team is missing a pulse. Someone, be it the coaching staff or Souray (because seriously they are the only one capable) needs to inspire the guys somehow. Everone is just way too complacent! Do they want to do what it takes? Right now it doesn't look like it.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
eastcoasteh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Which is now getting replaced by Hemsky to O'Sullivan who can't seem to get anything, even if he has a wide open net.
Yeah, O'Sullivan hits more chests with his shots than.....i'm not going to finish that sentence.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
I think there are 4 stages of being a fan:

Unconditional supporter.
Unconditional critic.
Mad/Bitter beer face fan.
Apathy.

The worst thing that can happen to a team is to become irrelevant to the fan base. I remember this happening to the flames in the 90s and I see it happening to the Oilers fans now. It took the Flames more than 5 years to get out of this funk. I hardly ever hear Oilers talk by the water cooler anymore, this used to be a daily occurance.

For myself, I've gone through all 4 stages and now the team is starting to become irrelevant. Win, lose, ties...whatever. If the games on and I'm not busy, I'll watch. But I'm not going out of my way to catch a game anymore. I rarely read articles exclusively involving the Oil anymore either...half the time I'll just scroll down to check out the sunshine girl. It's a shame really.

All I've been hearing for the past five years is about accountability, but somehow those at the top seem to be and continue to be excluded from this. I still check in once in a while to see if something miraculous has occurred, eventhough I'm not expect it. Oh well, at least the sunshine girl is hot.
Yeah, I've often found myself ignoring the sports page altogether over the past three seasons. Everytime I try to strike up an Oilers conversation it's met with "yeahs" and "hmms" and indifference. It sucks. There's no excitement anymore.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I don't really think that's fair. There are a lot of posters on here that react emotionally to losses, myself included. It takes quite a bit of effort for me to calm myself down and convince myself that it's just a game and it doesn't really matter.
There's a difference between being upset and frustrated and saying that you stop caring about whether they win or lose BIG difference If you're a true fan, you ALWAYS care about whether they win or lose and yes there's a lot of ebb and flow to the emotions but you never stop caring, that's ridiculous...... As i said before, i'm a Detroit Lions, if anybody has a right to not care, it's Detroit Lion fans but i still care but that doesn't mean that i'm not frustrated as hell.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
Not at all, 15 injuries/sick players, when they get healthy Im confident we can make the playoffs

Plus its what 20 games in? So much time left
+1

I really enjoyed our team when we had a healthy Souray, Stone and Jacques on it. Fast, hard hitting and exciting. We've been ravaged with some pretty harsh injuries so far this season. Although the team has depth, it doesn't have a lot of proven NHL talent.

Our record is indicative of what has happened so far. If we could of avoided the flu bug and some early key injuries I think we'd all be pleasantly surprised.

Also let's not get delusional here. This team was never a home ice playoff team and won't be until we unload some dead weight. To illustrate our health issues we need to look no further than being happy to see Steve Staios in the lineup. When we're healthy he has no place in our "D" corps.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
Yeah, O'Sullivan hits more chests with his shots than.....i'm not going to finish that sentence.
Peter North

Old
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
BlueBelle

Scapegoats
http://oilersnation.com/2009/11/16/scapegoats

just for reimer
Can we trust the NHL to enforce its own head-shot rules?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,202779

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
There's a difference between being upset and frustrated and saying that you stop caring about whether they win or lose BIG difference If you're a true fan, you ALWAYS care about whether they win or lose and yes there's a lot of ebb and flow to the emotions but you never stop caring, that's ridiculous...... As i said before, i'm a Detroit Lions, if anybody has a right to not care, it's Detroit Lion fans but i still care but that doesn't mean that i'm not frustrated as hell.
I'm just asking to enjoy Oilers hockey again. As much as I care about the result, on some nights it seems like a chore and a habit when I watch.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
ukoiler83

Send a message via MSN to ukoiler83
I would never stop caring, I love watching the Oilers and always will.

I just find it more and more difficult to follow the team when I dont feel there is much light at the end of the tunnel, mainly because I normally have to watch games between 2am and 5am UK time which is a killer for me (and my employers)

ukoiler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
Meh. If he doesn't think that the flu and injuries have a little bit to do with the slide after the 6-2-1 start then I don't know what to say. I think that the Oilers are sitting at 10-8-2 or something if they remain relatively healthy through the first 20. They were completely decimated during at least two contests.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
I think I may be at the point of moving over to the kings board, at least untill we get some good players and/or draft in the top 5-7. My life has enough depressing elements to it already without payig atention to these clowns.
I say you're a hockey fan, but I can not call a true Oil fan. I've survived the mid 90's. At least we have some proven talent on our team.

Old
11-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Jesus that don't even look like Eddie, but it sounds exactly like him. Anyways, I know that's him before he toned up, but man he looked different... wonder what year that was from.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Hahaha oh wow, turns out it's a mad TV sketch... absolutely pwned!!

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto84 View Post
Tru dat

The sign for me that I still care was when I went into a mini *****-fit after that pathetic performance yesterday.
Agreed. It's like being an addict. You hate it and love it at the same time. You try to quit, but it calls you back despite how you may feel at the time.

Oilers, you are my drug, my love, my joy, my nemessis and my best friend..

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I'm pretty much there.

It's been a slow grind since that 2006 cup run, but my care level is at an all-time low.

This team has degenerated into one of the running jokes of the NHL.

I used to post on here 15 times a day. Now, I might post that often in a week.

You can only get your hopes up only to have them crushed so many times before you stop getting your hopes up ...
Im pretty much in the same boat.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
I love this comment"I think it's starting to show that they're getting back on track." No when they get back on track is when the effort, heart, and actually winning games becomes a regularity. Bad luck and bad bounces are just excuses which you think after three years of no playoffs would begin to resonate even for the most optimistic fan of this team.
I do care and frankly I admit I am tired of watching this team lose and the litany of excuses come out of the players. Frankly, this coaching staff does seem frustrated and I hope eventually this will translate into some player transactions.
The young players on this team need leadership and the man to do it is Sheldon Souray, not Ethan Moreau.

I agree with the bolded stement, but the "C" on a jersey is just a letter. This is Souray's team in my opinion, even it only means he wears a "A".

That being said, I think our current "C" would much better on another team, but his 2M salary and 4th line skillset makes him hard to move.

Old
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Scapegoats
http://oilersnation.com/2009/11/16/scapegoats

just for reimer
Can we trust the NHL to enforce its own head-shot rules?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,202779
If the NHL were a human it would do a terrible job of wiping its own ass. I have little faith that them calling head shots will do anything. Like the end of the article it talks about how they will probably toughen up for a month or so and then relax on the rule. Just like everything else. Anyhow lets go do another shootout they are just so fun to watch.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
It also sucks to watch other organizations improve by plugging holes during the summer and executing a "game plan" during the season.

The Oilers seems to be happy with, "Nillson will be better this year. Maybe Schremp will crack the line-up under a new coach. Size doesn't matter. Face-offs aren't that important."

Running on the spot.
Stay out of my head, get your own thoughts please.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Forechecker View Post
Then change teams...I just dont think real fans cheer for teams only when they are winning and jump bandwagons when they are not. Your idea of what a fan is must be different then mine.

I would consider us all hockey fans, but oiler fans? Not true Oiler fans.

I dont mind people leaving and cheering for other teams when "their current" team starts losing, its a free continent...I just dont recognize them as oiler fans...and hope they dont come back.
"True fandom" by your definition sounds a lot like being the victim of domestic abuse. Obviously, it's an imperfect parallel and I feel a bit icky making it, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Fandom should be a two-way street. You give your team your time and emotional investment, they reward you with success or at least some measure of enjoyment. The Oilers have been failing to live up to their end of the bargain for three years now, so it's entirely reasonable for us as fans to withhold our affections until they get their s**t together and provide us with a product worth cheering for.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
If the NHL were a human it would do a terrible job of wiping its own ass. I have little faith that them calling head shots will do anything. Like the end of the article it talks about how they will probably toughen up for a month or so and then relax on the rule. Just like everything else. Anyhow lets go do another shootout they are just so fun to watch.
Thats not true. These days, a "human" version of the NHL never wipes its ass. Always leaves a pile of **** their brewing...rotting...ugghhhh

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
eastcoasteh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
Peter North
Our beer league team is called the Peter North Stars...our logo is a tipped over mayonnaise delivery truck....

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:24 PM
nafrelio

WHICH ARE YOU?

Oiler Fan A - You cheer without real hope in success. Be a "true fan" who cares so much that you need to create false hope/delusion to pretend that you are engaged (you are really disengaging from the reality that is your team). Be aware that hurt, anger, and despair will come your way since your hope is based on delusion. Be mad at others because they don't believe your delusions and abandon you to cheer, and thus despair alone. Be mad at other so called "fans" because their despair threatens the "truth" of your delusion of hope. You use every win to bolster your delusion.

Oiler Fan B - You don't cheer as loud when failure appears inevitable. You care so much that you place your hope in better years ahead in order to tolerate and/or ignore the present without completely disengaging from it. You fear that if you care too much in the present, you'll only be disappointed. Thus, you change the object of your hope from the present team to the future team. You hover on these boards, scouring stats and reviews of prospects yet to make the team, soaking in any news of the next one - the messiah of Oiler hockey - the one who will bring hope and wipe out disappointment and delusions. You immerse yourself in the draft and hope for a dive for the top five. Sometimes you feel guilty that you cannot sustain a delusion as the "true fans" do. You use every loss to bolster your hope in the future. The bright future as you picture it, is at least partly a delusion.

Oiler Fan C - Stop watching, disengage from hockey and start cheering for Tiger Woods who will never let you down. When Tiger lets you down, keep searching for something with lasting value. You realize that hockey, like most things in life, is meaningless - a chase after the wind (credit to the writer of Ecclesiastes and Copper and Blue as posted recently on his blog ). Soon, however, you reengage the game of hockey and your love: the Oilers. You become grateful for what you can enjoy as a fan - a nice goal, a good game, stable concession prices, loud hecklers from the cheap seats, the sound of the puck on the sticks, etc. You cease to want to decifer between who is a true fan and who is not. When you decide to care about the team, it is because you want to, not because you need to. This all sounds like a delusion too.

Anyone else having a slow day at the office?

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:24 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Who cares about the Detroit Lions which have been an inept organization for many years, Oilers fans expect better. Fine you seem to be happy with mediocrity considering you cheer for the LIONS, however as Oilers fans we would like to see a team that plays with emotion and is proud to wear the sweater.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
I say you're a hockey fan, but I can not call a true Oil fan. I've survived the mid 90's. At least we have some proven talent on our team.
We are close to achieving the mediocrity of that team from the nineties and trust me the apathy from the fans then is slowly creeping once again.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:32 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Hahaha oh wow, turns out it's a mad TV sketch... absolutely pwned!!
Ha ha! Ya, someone mentioned lowered expectations and I remembered this sketch. They have a few of them, I always howl.

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote