HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best College Majors Right Now

Old
11-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 500
Best College Majors Right Now

In your opinion what are the best college majors right now? Did you choose your major because you like what you do, or you followed the money?

It's been oft said that math, business, and sciences are the big majors that will make the most money. Do you follow this route, or did you buck the trend and select one that you were most appropriate with?

I've had my hand in many majors the last couple of years. From Biotechnology to Engineering, I've seen a lot of ******** over the years. Finally I decided to settle down and do something I like, which is the whole Information Technology field.

My rankings for proper majors

Business is high up on the list.
Medical field.
Biology is up high.
Biotechnology may be bland and uninteresting but it's less math-intensive than math.
And finally math. It's lucrative but as I said it's a lot of hard work and you have to be a savant or something to memorize all the formulas.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

I followed the money. Got an accounting degree with honors, took a job with an accounting firm articling to become a CA, so hopefully I'll be making some very good money within the next two years. The money is alright now, but nothing to write home about until I get my designation. I'm only 22 though, so it's plenty for me right now.

I think business is the way to go, and around here Accounting seems to be where a lot of opportunity/money is at.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

If you know math, I'm SO glad I made the choice to go into Engineering. I love my job, and I'm making easily 20-25K more annually. I have engineering buddies at 24 that are buying houses, and I would if I wasn't in a long distance relationship and wouldn't want to live on my own (renting a house with a friend right now). Meanwhile I know others that went back to school because they couldn't make as much as I am now without a masters/Ph.D, and a lot are scrounging by in terms of staying up on their bills/cost of living. I live really comfortably.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Engineering is the best degree period in terms of interesting jobs and high pay if you can handle the schooling for it.
Engineering if you can do it is nice. But it's a pretty big if. I got obliterated when it came to engineering, it didn't fit my system. I can't take courses where the teachers refuse to let you use calculators or formula sheets.

I'd rank engineering higher if more people could do it. So many people get weeded out from engineering because of difficult tests (averages on engineering tests especially advanced courses often range in the 30% - 40%...and I'm pretty sure these kids studied for that ****. How does that work?) If you have the skill and the memorization capability to be an engineer (I swear, nearly every engineer I know still knows double angle formulas and all this complex **** I can't even remember LOL) then props to you, but it's not easy.

Engineering is nice and all, but it's very, very , very hard. There's statics involved, advanced calculus ******** with three dimensional ****, the devil of mathematics trigonometry. It's ugly.

Last edited by Francesa: 11-16-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
In your opinion what are the best college majors right now? Did you choose your major because you like what you do, or you followed the money?

It's been oft said that math, business, and sciences are the big majors that will make the most money. Do you follow this route, or did you buck the trend and select one that you were most appropriate with?

I've had my hand in many majors the last couple of years. From Biotechnology to Engineering, I've seen a lot of ******** over the years. Finally I decided to settle down and do something I like, which is the whole Information Technology field.

My rankings for proper majors

Business is high up on the list.
Medical field.
Biology is up high.
Biotechnology may be bland and uninteresting but it's less math-intensive than math.
And finally math. It's lucrative but as I said it's a lot of hard work and you have to be a savant or something to memorize all the formulas.
Did you leave out engineering on purpose or did you just forget it? Engineering is the best degree period in terms of interesting jobs and high pay if you can handle the schooling for it.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:56 AM
MatthewT

Im taking math now, 3rd year. After I finish I plan to do education.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

What the **** is a business major anyway? Every idiot here at Pitt is a business major, what are those classes like, they teach you how to tuck in a shirt and tie a tie and sit at a desk?

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Business major is supposed to be business tactics, ACIS , accounting stuff, finance, marketing et cetera.

I hear IT security is really high right now too. Any thoughts on that...and is IT still a nice major, last I heard everyone was outsourcing :|

Old
11-16-2009, 10:17 AM
NYR89

I'm a Sport Management major and I love every second of it. A lot of people look down on it but I tell them to shove it. I know it'll be hard to find a job and a good paying one at that, but I'm honestly not too worried. I have a 3.85 GPA, a business minor, a public relations minor and I've officially interned at 2 places while helping out at a 3rd and I'm just now finishing my 3rd semester at school.

It may not be the highest paying right away, but sports is the whole thing I've been in love with my whole life.

NYR89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:18 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

If you are going the business route, don't make the mistake I did which was just doing Finance.

When times are good, Finance is great. When the environment is like it is now...well, not so much. Accounting is much more consistent.

If you're going the business route I can't recommend the Finance/Accounting combo enough.

11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
TomPlex

Engineering is probably the industry hit hardest by the recession. I've been graduated since May and have had 2 ****ing interviews with nothing on the horizon. There are simply no entry level positions available.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Engineering is probably the industry hit hardest by the recession. I've been graduated since May and have had 2 ****ing interviews with nothing on the horizon. There are simply no entry level positions available.
What field are you in?

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Did you choose your major because you like what you do, or you followed the money?
I didn't really do either, so my reasoning was closer to the former. I majored in geography because I knew that having a university degree would open a lot of doors for me, and geography was something I always had a head for.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I'm surprised but I've always been old school. I was always taught that engineering, math, business, et cetera were the best majors to find a job in. As a kid you are always told that "You need to be a doctor / engineer / astronaut, those fields make big money"

With this tough economy right now I'd be more interested in seeing whether this is an engineering-only thing, or something more widespread. I think in this day and age the graduate school degree is becoming more and more valuable, especially if you didn't major in Engineering / Math / Science. Nowadays you can't even find good offers without graduate school.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:35 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
I didn't really do either, so my reasoning was closer to the former. I majored in geography because I knew that having a university degree would open a lot of doors for me, and geography was something I always had a head for.
Pretty much why I chose to major in math.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
whatsbruin

Lots of outsourcing to India for IT jobs, and just about every job.
I've heard of Legal firms sending contracts to India to be reviewed by
cheap lawyers.

I'd look into a field that definitely cannot be outsourced.
Think medical.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:57 AM
invictus

Just double in Economics and Molecular Biology. Seems like that would get you somewhere. Or at least impress some people online.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Berkut

Send a message via MSN to Berkut
Quote:
Engineering if you can do it is nice. But it's a pretty big if. I got obliterated when it came to engineering, it didn't fit my system. I can't take courses where the teachers refuse to let you use calculators or formula sheets.

I'd rank engineering higher if more people could do it. So many people get weeded out from engineering because of difficult tests (averages on engineering tests especially advanced courses often range in the 30% - 40%...and I'm pretty sure these kids studied for that ****. How does that work?) If you have the skill and the memorization capability to be an engineer (I swear, nearly every engineer I know still knows double angle formulas and all this complex **** I can't even remember LOL) then props to you, but it's not easy.

Engineering is nice and all, but it's very, very , very hard. There's statics involved, advanced calculus ******** with three dimensional ****, the devil of mathematics trigonometry. It's ugly.

I don`t think any class is particularly difficult, it's just that you have 5-6 of them at the same time, 25-30 hours per week of classes plus at least as much studying on your own. It comes down to how you can organize and prioritize your schedule. I found that working in the field is much more difficult. if you **** up in class you can always do it again, if you fuk up at work, it costs money.

Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Marketing [/thread]

There's gonna be such a demand in the cut-cost world we live in these days to get good marketers who can attract customers in times of financial woe.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
newellky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalberg View Post
I followed the money. Got an accounting degree with honors, took a job with an accounting firm articling to become a CA, so hopefully I'll be making some very good money within the next two years. The money is alright now, but nothing to write home about until I get my designation. I'm only 22 though, so it's plenty for me right now.

I think business is the way to go, and around here Accounting seems to be where a lot of opportunity/money is at.
very nice man im finishing my degree right now but sadly im still searching for a job

newellky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
I'm taking the political science route. I hope to specialize in foreign relations. I'm going to attempt to double major in poli sci and Spanish, then double minor in Russian and my liberal arts program (if you get in, you have to minor in it.. it's complicated.)

My advisor told me that any of the critical languages (Middle Eastern languages such as Arabic, Russian, and Chinese) look extremely impressive on a resume and will get you a job quickly in a foreign relations field if you're fluent in that language.

Amanda71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
I'm a Sport Management major and I love every second of it. A lot of people look down on it but I tell them to shove it. I know it'll be hard to find a job and a good paying one at that, but I'm honestly not too worried. I have a 3.85 GPA, a business minor, a public relations minor and I've officially interned at 2 places while helping out at a 3rd and I'm just now finishing my 3rd semester at school.

It may not be the highest paying right away, but sports is the whole thing I've been in love with my whole life.
Same here

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda71 View Post
I'm taking the political science route. I hope to specialize in foreign relations. I'm going to attempt to double major in poli sci and Spanish, then double minor in Russian and my liberal arts program (if you get in, you have to minor in it.. it's complicated.)

My advisor told me that any of the critical languages (Middle Eastern languages such as Arabic, Russian, and Chinese) look extremely impressive on a resume and will get you a job quickly in a foreign relations field if you're fluent in that language.
That's mostly what I'm planning to do right now.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
UFancyHuh

computer science / software engineering, mainly picked it caz i like programming and pays well

Last edited by UFancyHuh: 11-16-2009 at 09:37 PM.
UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Do something you don't hate and expect to make less money than your parents did.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote