HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are 8th in the conference in Point %.

Old
11-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
We are 8th in the conference in Point %.

Sadly, we are now in 8th place for Point %. Even Tampa is ahead of us. I would mark down our first stint(20 games) as a slight disappointment. We are still in the playoffs but not exactly were we wanna be. I know there's plenty of hockey left to be played but there's also plenty of hockey that has been played.

We have an idea of what our team looks like now. I would say our team has shown us they can compete with the best when were on our game. Unfortunately, we rarely are on "our game." I expect that as the season progresses our consistency will improve.

And as we all know, the next month is going to be miserable with Hank getting his annual cold streak. So, Basically by mid-January we are going to be trying to dig ourselves out of a hole and be exhausted by the time the playoffs start .

Just some food for thought.

How do you feel about the team so far through 20. Are you happy/upset that we are 8th in the conference. What kind of outcome do you expect from this season. What kind of outcome could we potentially get if Hank plays like he did vs the Caps and the team plays like they did game 7 [in the playoffs]

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:27 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Sadly, we are now in 8th place for Point %. Even Tampa is ahead of us. I would mark down our first stint(20 games) as a slight disappointment. We are still in the playoffs but not exactly were we wanna be. I know there's plenty of hockey left to be played but there's also plenty of hockey that has been played.

We have an idea of what our team looks like now. I would say our team has shown us they can compete with the best when were on our game. Unfortunately, we rarely are on "our game." I expect that as the season progresses our consistency will improve.

And as we all know, the next month is going to be miserable with Hank getting his annual cold streak. So, Basically by mid-January we are going to be trying to dig ourselves out of a hole and be exhausted by the time the playoffs start .

How do you feel about the team so far through 20. Are you happy/upset that we are 8th in the conference. What kind of outcome do you expect from this season. What kind of outcome could we potentially get if Hank plays like he did vs the Caps and the team plays like they did game 7 [in the playoffs]
i think its mid november

theres a lot of hockey left to play

we made too much out of their great start just as we're making too much out of their recent slumps

the team will level off and finish exactly where everyone (everyone logical) predicted they will be...middle of the eastern conference

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
NikC

Quote:

i'm not sure i follow your reasoning here, as the NYR currently
sit 5th in the conference...

This team hasn't played the same hockey after the SJ loss IMO.
I didn't expect them not to lose anymore, but they never really
returned to the forecheck/puck pursuit hockey that brought
them early success.

They're giving up the neutral zone way too easily, and only Gabs
and Prospal seem to know what to do in the offensive zone.
Any other line seems to carry/dump the puck and either lose it
or do nothing with it! When they do manage to hold the puck
they're waiting too long looking for the perfect play or over passing.

JT says he's trying to get them to limit scoring chances, so maybe
that translated into a more tentative approach?
I still don't think this team has formed an identity yet. What i thought
was their identity has changed.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Claxton

How do i feel about the team after 20?

I'm very disappointed and disheartened, because it looks like yet another year of mediocrity is shaping up. A 1st round knockout/playoff bubble team and another draft pick that will take years to develop into a decent 2nd liner.
Meanwhile our bitter rivals the Islanders likely make more of a progression in one season in a couple years as the result of a complete failure(#1 overall pick) than the Rangers have in the last 4.

Carolina are also well on their way to another superstar pick only 3 years removed from a cup win, which likely leads them to another cup sooner than the Rangers actually manage to get out of the 2nd round of the playoffs.

We have Chris Drury, Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival absolutely tearing the ******* of this team for the next several years with their salaries. You can sugar coat their play all you want but they are not going to bring this team up to a competitive level for success.
The terrible effort and lack of direction of our core players like Callahan, Avery, Staal, etc has been analyzed to death so i won't even bother.

Guys like Del Zotto are going to be wasted on these average seasonal efforts. At this point his efforts are almost as much of a curse as a boon because when that nice cheap ELC is up he will be asking for the moon(deservedly), and in turn that salary will handicap addressing a need in other areas. But at least, AT LEAST if a guy like Del Zotto can earn a 6.5 million contract the way a Wade Redden can't, the Rangers will finally be heading in the right direction.

Superstars making superstar money while supplementing them with GOOD young talent like Chicago and Pittsburgh for a cup run. I can't see it happening for a few years because of Drury, Redden and Rozsival and its ****ing depressing. But like a good little brainwashed hardcore fan i'll keep watching till my eyes bleed blue.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
ThirdEye

We might not see the usual cold streak from Hank this season because so far he's had much less of a workload. Less games played and less OT's and shootouts. I can't imagine he's as stressed this season as he was the last few season at this point.

We can only hope though. Our offense is probably what will bring us down this time around with Drury and Dubinsky out for god knows how long.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:39 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
How do i feel about the team after 20?

I'm very disappointed and disheartened, because it looks like yet another year of mediocrity is shaping up. A 1st round knockout/playoff bubble team and another draft pick that will take years to develop into a decent 2nd liner.
Meanwhile our bitter rivals the Islanders likely make more of a progression in one season in a couple years as the result of a complete failure(#1 overall pick) than the Rangers have in the last 4.

Carolina are also well on their way to another superstar pick only 3 years removed from a cup win, which likely leads them to another cup sooner than the Rangers actually manage to get out of the 2nd round of the playoffs.

We have Chris Drury, Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival absolutely tearing the ******* of this team for the next several years with their salaries. You can sugar coat their play all you want but they are not going to bring this team up to a competitive level for success.
The terrible effort and lack of direction of our core players like Callahan, Avery, Staal, etc has been analyzed to death so i won't even bother.

Guys like Del Zotto are going to be wasted on these average seasonal efforts. At this point his efforts are almost as much of a curse as a boon because when that nice cheap ELC is up he will be asking for the moon(deservedly), and in turn that salary will handicap addressing a need in other areas. But at least, AT LEAST if a guy like Del Zotto can earn a 6.5 million contract the way a Wade Redden can't, the Rangers will finally be heading in the right direction.

Superstars making superstar money while supplementing them with GOOD young talent like Chicago and Pittsburgh for a cup run. I can't see it happening for a few years because of Drury, Redden and Rozsival and its ****ing depressing. But like a good little brainwashed hardcore fan i'll keep watching till my eyes bleed blue.
i feel the need to repeat what i posted a few posts up

"its mid november

we made too much out of their great start just as we're making too much out of their recent slumps

the team will level off and finish exactly where everyone (everyone logical) predicted they will be...middle of the eastern conference"

...this season was never set up as a cup run

we're taking strides toward building this team with a certain philosophy in mind

this season will be okay/mediocre, and if they stick with the plan the future looks bright

...im sure im alone on that thought but so be it

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved83

I think claxton hit the nail on the head...

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
NikC

i agree. way too early to be sounding the alarm about anything.
20g in with 9 new players ,new coach, new system. Like i said
earlier this team has not yet formed yet. Still very much in the
developmental process.

Sather essentially brought a young superstar in his prime to this team
who, if he manages to stay healthy, can be face of this franchise
for the next 5yrs.

THe NYR will never tank a season to get a handout lottery pick, so
forget it. Overall they've drafted fairly well considering some
misfortunes.

Old
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i feel the need to repeat what i posted a few posts up

"its mid november

the team will level off and finish exactly where everyone (everyone logical) predicted they will be...middle of the eastern conference"

...this season was never set up as a cup run

we're taking strides toward building this team with a certain philosophy in mind

this season will be okay/mediocre, and if they stick with the plan the future looks bright

...im sure im alone on that thought but so be it
you're not alone, i'm right there with you.

Old
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

We are about on Par with the Islanders and they are a team with very low expectations

11-16-2009, 11:50 AM
asparkoflife

"THE SKY! THE SKY! ITS FALLING!" - Little, Chicken

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
"THE SKY! THE SKY! ITS FALLING!" - Little, Chicken
And it doesnt matter whether its sunny with rainbows either, cause this 'evaluate the team after every win or loss' is just crazy. Ups and downs, thats what happends every year. No patience.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I'm far from chicken little....and I watch a lot of hockey, not just the Rangers. The Rangers are not talented enough to NOT give 100% on every shift.

20 games in.....we are two points ahead of the Islanders fellas. 2

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
asparkoflife

and only 3 points behind the Penguins. Everything is always muddled in NOVEMBER. These conversations in month 2 of the season drive me insane. People need to:

1. Inhale
2. Take in Oxygen
3. Exhale

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:31 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

You make as many changes in your lineup as we did you gotta expect some problems.

I thought we would finish anywhere between 6th and 10th in the East.

Considering how many guys have played above expectations (Prospal, Del Zotto and Redden) and how many have played below expectations (Callahan, Avery, Higgins, Staal, Drury and Roszival), we're where we should be.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Garfinkel1

I know everyone is saying there is plenty of hockey left to be played and to calm down. I know this. Everyone knows this.

But you guys are also forgetting plenty of hockey has already been played.
It's not a 5 game evaluation. Not a 10 game evaluation. It's a 20 game evaluation. That's 24.39% of the season. Basically a quarter of the season. So, do I think it's too early to evaluate the team based on this season's progress? No.

I am screaming bloody murder? Calling for the Rangers to tank which some of you sound like you are? I am just pointing out that the clubs performance in the first quarter of the season has been bad. They are underachieving and thats a problem. Never a consitant effort. Never working together as a 5-man unit.

hopefully, as time progresses we will work as a 5man unit and give a more complete effort but untill then it looks like we are that 7-8 seed, 1st round/2nd round knockout. We overturned our entire roster, essentially keeping no lines intact from last year. We overturned our entire system. Noone is familiar with the system (except prospal) so it's to be expected.

Although I do expect us to continue on a steady pace to what we are for the next quartile I do expect an increase in point production through each of the 3rd + 4th quartile and into the playoffs.

A big BUT here, I do believe this team can make it to the Confrence finals if (and a big if here) the team can work...as a team and if Henrik is focused and in the zone.

Old
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
levski87

20 games in... enough said.

62 games left. That is a ridiculous amount of time. The team will be fine.

God has spoken.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
OverTheCap

This team is where I'd thought they'd be right now.

Struggling to learn a new system. Inconsistent and streaky. Shaky defense. Gaborik and Lundqvist carrying the teams on their backs.

Coming into the season I knew the team would struggle due to their lack of secondary scoring, and indeed it seems to be an issue. I think some of the players are capable of playing better (Avery) but some players are exactly as advertised (Kotalik - awesome on the PP but not much else).

Like last season, I think the Rangers may have to trade for another scorer and perhaps another d-man to make the playoffs.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Struggling to learn a new system. Inconsistent and streaky. Shaky defense. Gaborik and Lundqvist carrying the teams on their backs.

Coming into the season I knew the team would struggle due to their lack of secondary scoring, and indeed it seems to be an issue. I think some of the players are capable of playing better (Avery) but some players are exactly as advertised (Kotalik - awesome on the PP but not much else).

Like last season, I think the Rangers may have to trade for another scorer and perhaps another d-man to make the playoffs.
Looking at it, your prediction is exactly what this season has amounted to. I agree with what you said for the most part. I think secondary scoring will not be an issue once the system becomes instinct to these players. Also, a 7th D-man would be nice incase of injuries and **** come playoff time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
20 games in... enough said
62 games left. That is a ridiculous amount of time. The team will be fine.
God has spoken.
Right, 20 games. 25% of the season. You obviously do not understand how much 25% is...
Im not waisting my time explaining it to you...

Last edited by Garfinkel1: 11-16-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old
11-16-2009, 04:28 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Another factor here: we don't have all that many "loser points" and that's bound to equalize somewhat over the long haul and we've already done the dreaded West Coast trip. It's going to be close all year long.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 04:47 PM
levski87

Quote:
Looking at it, your prediction is exactly what this season has amounted to. I agree with what you said for the most part. I think secondary scoring will not be an issue once the system becomes instinct to these players. Also, a 7th D-man would be nice incase of injuries and **** come playoff time.

Right, 20 games. 25% of the season. You obviously do not understand how much 25% is...
Im not waisting my time explaining it to you...

And you obviously don't understand that there are 62 games left. I'd start to worry about where we are in the conference around February, not 25% into the season.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i think its mid november

the team will level off and finish exactly where everyone (everyone logical) predicted they will be...middle of the eastern conference
I agree with this, they will turn it back around ........I predict 6th

I know ur going with % but we still show 5th here. Other teams have to play games yes but who knows what will happen

http://tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

There's a s***load of hockey left, the quick jump out of the gate was surprising but the losing streak was a slight disappointment because I didn't figure that we'd be down for a stretch like that after we kicked ass earlier. I hope it's just an average slump just like what every good team goes through some point in the season. Being optimistic about it, let's just say we should be glad it happened early in the season rather than at the end of the season and that we can easily go back on another tear like we did from the start.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 05:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This. I said before the season that we could finish anywhere between 4th and 12th and we're right in the middle at the moment. I'm totally fine with wherever we finish as long as the guys play hard for 60 minutes every night. I'm not fine with trading assets for quick fixes or if it will further destroy our cap situation down the road.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
We might not see the usual cold streak from Hank this season because so far he's had much less of a workload. Less games played and less OT's and shootouts. I can't imagine he's as stressed this season as he was the last few season at this point.

We can only hope though. Our offense is probably what will bring us down this time around with Drury and Dubinsky out for god knows how long.
Agreed on the Lundqvist front. He's not being counted on to carry the team night in and night out.

It's hard for me to evaluate standings at this point since the Rangers have played a lot of interconference games.

This team has overachieved in certain aspects of the game, and underachieved in others. The power play has surprised me, currently sitting at 9th, scoring at a 22.2% clip. MDZ as the QB and Kotalik as the power play ace have both been pleasant surprises. The penalty killing is awesome yet again.

Offensively, secondary scoring is an issue again. Higgins and Callahan need to get going (Higgins has shown signs of waking up since the goals in Van and Edm).

Torts needs to let Avery off the leash too. I think we'll see it more in the games against teams like Philly who have guys like Hartnell and Carcillo. In those games it's an absolute necessity.

They need a tough presence on the back end, but then it comes down to who would sit in the press box.

I expected 6-10th, and they're right about where I expected them to be. They're on just about a 95 point pace which should be good for 6th or 7th.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote