HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JDD/Brodziak Contract Update

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
JDD/Brodziak Contract Update

Due to the confusion created when Kevin Lowe and Kevin Prendergast told me that they had to sign both Jeff Deslauriers and Kyle Brodziak by June 1st and Brodziak told me in the recent interview that it wasn't so... I checked with the Oilers today for clarity.

Scott Howson: "DesLauriers has to be signed by this June 1 and Brodziak by June 1, 2005. We only have to make Brodziak an offer by this June 1."

So that sounds a lot better. By the way, I'm hearing that JDD wants first rounder kind of money...

Old
04-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Due to the confusion created when Kevin Lowe and Kevin Prendergast told me that they had to sign both Jeff Deslauriers and Kyle Brodziak by June 1st and Brodziak told me in the recent interview that it wasn't so... I checked with the Oilers today for clarity.

Scott Howson: "DesLauriers has to be signed by this June 1 and Brodziak by June 1, 2005. We only have to make Brodziak an offer by this June 1."

So that sounds a lot better. By the way, I'm hearing that JDD wants first rounder kind of money...
Hopefully, JDD is just posturing for now.

If he went unsigned, I believe he would have to re-enter the draft. In doing so, he would subject himself to the rookie cap that the new CBA will have, which has been speculated to be one area where the players will probably concede in their negotiations.

I also don't think he would go in the first round again, so I'd imagine that he will end up signing with the Oilers at a reasonable price.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Hopefully, JDD is just posturing for now.

I don't think he would go in the first round again, so I'd imagine that he will end up signing with the Oilers at a reasonable price.

See that's the thing, he didn't go in the first round last time. Edmonton got him in the early second but JDD was ranked as the 2nd goalie in NA going into the draft and obviously with his strong season/playoffs... he's got some bargaining power.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Lowetide

Why wouldn't he want first round money? He is shooting lights out and he was drafted as close to the first round as is humanly possible.

Oilers can't afford to let him slip through their fingers. There is absolutely no way to sugar coat this, Lowe has to sign JDD.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:49 PM
outKast*

I wouldn't pay JDD too much nor would i let him re-enter the draft. That would be a dumb move and a waste of a second rounder to re-draft him. I've been saying it a lot that JDD would be a back up in the NHL and a good one too. I think it's ludicrous that he's asking for more money. A good playoffs does not make a player great. He has done nothing special prior to this to warrant himself to ask for money. Heck the guy can't even crack team Canada's lineup.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
See that's the thing, he didn't go in the first round last time. Edmonton got him in the early second but JDD was ranked as the 2nd goalie in NA going into the draft and obviously with his strong season/playoffs... he's got some bargaining power.
Ya, you're right, I just always see him as a first rounder, because it was so close. I think it's because I did that long post on first round goalies and included JDD.

But, going into this draft, I'd wager that JDD wouldn't go near where he was drafted last time..... (that is unless the Flames still have a score to settle with the Oil for taking Stoll or JDD keeps his unbelievable playoff run going all the way to Kelowna...)

I really think though, that the CBA battle coming up really lessens his bargaining power.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
I wouldn't pay JDD too much nor would i let him re-enter the draft.
So what would you do then, if he insists on more money or he's going back into the draft???

If his mind is made up, then there is NOTHING that KLo can do about it.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

OH, and it's "unlikely that Brodziak will join the Roadrunners" for the remainder of the year.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
So what would you do then, if he insists on more money or he's going back into the draft???

If his mind is made up, then there is NOTHING that KLo can do about it.

Kevin Lowe has made it a priority to build this team through the draft. Any agent worth his salt is going to know the Oilers extreme lack of depth in this area. I don't think Lowe has any option at all, really.

Well, he could go get someone like Fomitchev who used to be Oiler property but they let him loose. He had a stunning RSL season.

They (I think it was Sather) signed Conklin as a college fa, I wonder if there are any out there this spring?

Old
04-13-2004, 07:00 PM
shoyen

Send a message via ICQ to shoyen
Quote:
Heck the guy can't even crack team Canada's lineup.
You make this seem like it is easy? Canada is THE top country in the world for goaltenders, it should be an honor that he has made it to the final 3 both years.

Old
04-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Kevin Lowe has made it a priority to build this team through the draft. Any agent worth his salt is going to know the Oilers extreme lack of depth in this area. I don't think Lowe has any option at all, really.
I agree. I think this one will come down to the wire. I'm sure JDD won't want to re-enter the draft, and can see the great oppurtunity he has in being our only solid goaltending prospect.

From JDD's standpoint, the Oilers are a perfect fit.

I just hope Lowe can get JDD to blink first, and we can get him playing in Toronto next year.

Old
04-13-2004, 07:05 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyen
You make this seem like it is easy? Canada is THE top country in the world for goaltenders, it should be an honor that he has made it to the final 3 both years.
Dude, Harding, Ward, and a whole bunch of lower ranked goaltenders ranked goalies who have no better potential than a backup in the NHL have cracked the team Canada lineup. JDD has not and he's supposedly a future "starter". I don't buy into that BS. He may develop in a decent goalie but i sure as hell don't think he's a starter. I think it's ridiculous that he wants that kind of money.

Old
04-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Cam Ward and Josh Harding are exceptional goalies in my opinion. Getting edged out by Harding this year is not an insult or a sign that any of those goalies are not #1 material.

What have you seen when you've watched these guys play in person that has made you feel that none of them can be starters? I've seen them all play and I think you're wrong, but I'm open to your opinions if you've also seen them play (and not on TV).

Old
04-13-2004, 07:16 PM
shoyen

Quote:
Dude, Harding, Ward, and a whole bunch of lower ranked goaltenders ranked goalies who have no better potential than a backup in the NHL have cracked the team Canada lineup. JDD has not and he's supposedly a future "starter". I don't buy into that BS. He may develop in a decent goalie but i sure as hell don't think he's a starter. I think it's ridiculous that he wants that kind of money.
What year was Ward on the team??? And what is so bad about Harding? I think saying he has "no better potential than a backup" is kind of premature. He has been an excellent goalie in the WHL and was very solid in the little action he saw at the WJC.

I know this is just your opinion, and I respect that, but I think your reading to much into this situation, and not giving these goalies enough credit.

Old
04-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
The point is that making/not making the World Junior team will have zero impact on his future status, whether it's a starter, a backup, or a career ECHLer. Anyway, I don't think Ward ever made the team, did he?

Old
04-13-2004, 07:18 PM
shoyen

Quote:
Cam Ward and Josh Harding are exceptional goalies in my opinion. Getting edged out by Harding this year is not an insult or a sign that any of those goalies are not #1 material.

What have you seen when you've watched these guys play in person that has made you feel that none of them can be starters? I've seen them all play and I think you're wrong, but I'm open to your opinions if you've also seen them play (and not on TV).
haha, you beat me to the punch!

Old
04-13-2004, 07:27 PM
mudcrutch79

Does anyone realistically think that JDD is going to be a hot commodity if he re-enters the draft? As someone pointed out above, there are a lot of other goalies this year, guys like Montoya, who've got some flashy things on their resume, and are two years younger, hence more development time. Even if JDD got drafted around the same spot, no team is going to sign him prior to the new CBA, and I think everyone expects that to see rookies getting a less money.

If I'm K-Lo, I make him a fair offer, and if he declines it, I say "Well we're still interested so this offer is open up until June 1. Just so you know, we're still interested in you, and will draft you again in the right spot. If so, regardless of whether we make a deal with Washington, and take you instead of Ovechkin, our offer starts at half of what it is now. If you don't like it, you can play in the QPSHL for a couple of years until our rights have expired."

I think JDD is in a tight spot here too, just as much as the Oilers. K-Lo has been burned before paying guys first round money (as opposed to a no-money down, don't pay a thing till 2005 type deal) and I don't expect to see him get fooled again.

I imagine that The Who are pretty popular in his office when it comes to dealing with uppity draft picks now...

Old
04-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Mr Sakich

I think JDD should contact Mike Comrie to get some tips on how to play hard ball against Lowe.

Old
04-13-2004, 10:39 PM
speeds

Brodziak: yeah, this makes more sense that he'd only require the "bona fide" offer, though he'll likely want to sign this summer and enter the AHL, unless he plans on playing as an overager next season in the WHL and then going UFA.

Deslauriers: yeah, give him the cap (or close to it), who cares? He'll spend 3 years in the AHL anyways at 60K a year, the key will be to make sure his third contract year is at a lower base salary than the cap (if at all possible, I'd imagine this is what teh agent will fight against) so that when he comes up he doesn't have to be qualified at a ludicrous 1.2 mil.

*edit* assuming the current qualification system is still in place

Last edited by speeds: 04-14-2004 at 12:50 AM.
Old
04-13-2004, 11:53 PM
YKOil

Well...

... speeds has the right of it - 3 yrs in the minors will do JDD good at minmum wage (for the NHL that is).

Hell, in an adverse way I was happy Hemsky didn't make his bonuses this year - few things I hate more than rookie contract bonuses.

YKOil

Old
04-14-2004, 07:32 AM
McMatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Deslauriers: yeah, give him the cap (or close to it), who cares? He'll spend 3 years in the AHL anyways at 60K a year, the key will be to make sure his third contract year is at a lower base salary than the cap (if at all possible, I'd imagine this is what teh agent will fight against) so that when he comes up he doesn't have to be qualified at a ludicrous 1.2 mil.
I agree. The only thing I would be concerned with is the signing bonus. He might make $60k per year in the AHL, but he might hold out for some ri-goddamn-diculous signing bonus.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:16 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
I agree. The only thing I would be concerned with is the signing bonus. He might make $60k per year in the AHL, but he might hold out for some ri-goddamn-diculous signing bonus.
signing bonus is a concern, but even as a 2nd rounder he was due somwhat of a signing bonus anyways.

The most he can get as a signing bonus, as allowed by the CBA, is half of the rookie cap for each of teh 3 years. That would total roughly 1.8 mil, and as far as I've heard only the top players can wheel such an arrangement.

In one worst case scenario (worst in the sense of initial money outlay) he costs 1.8 mil via signing bonus, and roughly 600K in base salary for each of the following 3 seasons. He might even still be worth signing under that scenario, not sure how high the Oilers are on Deslauriers.

The more likely worst scenario is Deslauriers demanding 1.2 mil via signing bonus, with a base salary of 600K for years 1 and 2 and 1.2 mil for year 3. He might be worth signing in this case, but maybe not with the high qualifying offer in year 3, which I suppose only matters if he turns out.

I doubt he has the kind of leverage to swing this kind of deal; even if he goes back in the draft, who can tell him that he'll "for sure" go higher than any of Schwatrz, Montoya, etc? But that's the worst case scenario (ignoring performance bonuses, because chances are he won't ask for amany and even if he does they only matter if he's in the NHL on this contract, which is unlikely with goalies, though possible in EDM due to teh lack of goaltending depth), and I'd have to imagine the Oilers will sign Deslauriers unless he's completely unreasonable or the Oilers don't much like him as a prospect

Old
04-14-2004, 08:34 AM
kyle

Quote:
The really funny part is that this will be at least the 4th time that someone has asked you when you ever saw him play and you've got nothing.. absolutely nothing.

I guess it's not funny.. more sad than funny..

You are basing everything you say on conjecture (means you are making it up). I could start making things up about you and telling everyone as if it were factual or based on anything other than me just making things up, but that's not very nice.. it's mostly just uneducated.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:15 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I am no expert on those guys, as the only time I've seen them head to head live was at the selection camp in December.

All four goalies (Fleury, Harding, JDD and Ward) have both great skills and a couple of serious flaws.

Fleury can't control rebounds, and he handles the puck way too much for his limited skill set in that area. That being said, he has the quickest reflexes I have ever seen. So quick, that half the time you can't tell if he is even in the right position.

Harding has all the technical aspects down to a T. Great position, fantastic techniques. His movement is basically average, but because of his technical skills, that is usually hidden.

JDD is a Fleury-Harding Cross. He's got above average technical skills and above average quickness (where as Harding has exceptional technique and Fleury has exceptional quickness), as well as being the best skating goaltender I have ever seen (his foot work in the net). He gets in trouble because he isn't quick enough or isn't in good enough position at certain times, and he can't compensate with one or the other sometimes (which is why he has some nights where he lets in softies).

Ward to me was a bit of a different story. He was just plain bad at the camp I saw, but I know he is better than that. I can't really break him down, other than he is good at handling the puck.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:57 PM
McJadeddog

i dont see the big deal with JDD, pay him the max....... he'll be in the AHL for at least 2 years anyhow, so the oil wont really have to pay him very much..... just make sure you dont get screwed on a signing bonus and we're doing just fine...... and if he happens to make the team after just one year in the AHL, well thats just a good situation all around and i dont think lowe would mind paying him to mature that quickly

Closed Thread