HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UPEI News

Old
11-16-2009, 04:49 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
UPEI News

News Flash!!! UPEI players boycott practice to protest Dylan. Is this then end of his tenure as the Head coach at UPEI???

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
News Flash!!! UPEI players boycott practice to protest Dylan. Is this then end of his tenure as the Head coach at UPEI???
It'll be very interesting how this plays out.
Where do the AD's loyalty lay will he back the coach or the players?
Keep us informed.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
timbitca

What the heck?

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
What the heck?
When do you guys practice next??? Just kidding, buddy.

Old
11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
timbitca

We did tonight. Well, and this morning too since some guys have classes tonight and can't attend the practice. Everyone was there and accounted for, including Serge

Old
11-17-2009, 06:24 AM
AUS Fan

Dylan is done.

Just received word that Dylan is out as UPEI Head Coach. Don't know who will replace him. Read the Guardian today and see if they have any more on this.

Old
11-17-2009, 08:33 AM
timbitca

Nothing on the Guardian website. Interesting news though...

Old
11-17-2009, 08:45 AM
AUS Fan

The Guardian has been a big backer of Dylan. Maybe they'll not report it at all and pretend he's still there. Because the news came out this morning, they probably didn't have time to digest it.

Old
11-17-2009, 09:07 AM
timbitca

Ah, makes sense. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on there. It's not like they started their season 2-9 or something

I find it ironic that I'm on here defending our coach left and ritgt and that some other teams players just decided to walk out on the coach (situation we were in a few years ago...)

Old
11-17-2009, 10:21 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Another case of "the inmates running the asylum" if they dump Dylan!

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:06 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Another case of "the inmates running the asylum" if they dump Dylan!
There is no 'if'. Dylan is out. The same thing happened at UNB in the late eighties and at DAL when Darrell Young was turfed after signing a four year extension. When a lot of players go to the A.D. and say that they want you gone....

Old
11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
timbitca

Quote:
There is no 'if'. Dylan is out. The same thing happened at UNB in the late eighties and at DAL when Darrell Young was turfed after signing a four year extension. When a lot of players go to the A.D. and say that they want you gone....
Charlie too. Players complained to the AD after we got back here from our CIS participation.

Old
11-17-2009, 11:29 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Kind of amazing, since Dylan played at UPEI and was considered one of their most popular players. I believe he was the captain as well. You can't be a hard a-- with today's players apparently. They'll turn, although it does set a pretty bad precedent to be able to get the coach turfed at this point in the schedule. That doesn't auger well for anybody coming in unless there's something more to the Taylor situation than simply a team unhappy with the head coach.

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
timbitca

Yeah. I certainly hope there is more to that situation than just the players, because if not, it's going to be a rough ride for whoever replaces him. Talk about working under pressure.

Old
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Island Husky

Alls Quiet at 5 Bells

All is quiet here on the Island, mid afternoon, I keep checking the Guardian site as they can insert an update, but nary a thing as of 2PM. Where did you find this AUS Fan? I mean that confirmation...today....
Not to be outdone, remember two coaches ago and UPEI. The then coach applied for the Acadia job, which had opened up ( did Dickie get it that time or was it later? yeah must have been Dickie) admitted as much to the newspaper, and it sparked an outright,publicly aknowledged mutiny. He weathered the storm though, the only one I have ever known who did. The AD stuck by him, not this AD, the previous one. One by one he got rid of the trouble makers, then started to rebuild his team. He left the program for other reasons. Of course it is different if you are at the end of your contract and you are forced to "resign" as it were, a la Darrell Young, Boutilier.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
AUS Fan

Small piece in the Guardian online, about the resignation of Dylan and two assistants.

Old
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
timbitca

And here's a link to it.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=303837&sc=99

Old
11-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Tommy Dodge

Talked to a couple of players this afternoon. They tell me the coach was too over the top, and had the hammer down all the time. Guys didn't like. Some veterans said that they weren't being treated like veterans and that the coach had favorites who escaped his wrath.
Two guys told me the player voted 20-5 to boycott practices until changes were made. They also said they were trying to talk a couple of the assistants into remaining. Despite what the guardian says, I went to check out practice Tuesday. No coaches on the ice, players ran it themselves. Looking pretty light, laughing and carrying on. Notice there was no Viteralli, Cameron, Knox , O'Brien. A rink guy said the assistants were inthe coaches office.
Whoever is behind the bench will have Baptism by fire, as UNB is in town Friday night and SMU sunday.

Tommy Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Thanks, Timbit. I should of thought of that.

Old
11-18-2009, 07:22 AM
cishockeyfan

I feel for Dylan Taylor, I obviously know nothing about in the Lockeroom itself or behind the scenes, but the guy seemed to have a huge passion to getting UPEI Mens Hockey back up the Ladder, and I think he did a good job at that, they were becoming a respectable team and with a little luck, avoiding some injuries and a couple of key players either not leaving or working out the way they thought they would, they may have been much better, as a Recruiter he did a great job I feel

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:09 AM
AUS Fan

Today's Guardian

Just a recap of yesterday, but with readers comments.

Here is the link:

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=303957&sc=99

Old
11-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Alpine

The Hoceyscene.com story:
http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...lid=2&nid=6192

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 02:12 PM
AUS Fan

Hockeyscene is just a recap of the Guardian, with a bit of speculation thrown in. I would like the Guardian to actually research and write an article on what happened.

I don't think people believe that these coaches just all decided to retire at the same time. While it's nice of the Guardian to say how wonderful Dylan was, etc, there still remains the question of what happened and why. I have a feeling that we won't see that article any time soon. There is also the question of leadership on the team. If Waugh says that Dylan was a great coach did he vote to boycot? What about the other vets? Where do they stand on this. I have to assume that the leaders were leading the revolt, as hockey players generally follow the leader. (apology for the liberal use of leader)
Whoever does take over will have to be careful not to ruffle the fur of these fickle felines.

Old
11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Island Husky

Actually they, The Guardian, have not said anything one way or the other. They do quote lots of people though. They do have Fiddler Fred MacDonald who writes a weekly column, think it comes out on Mondays, he also appears on CBC once a week with Bruce Rannie. But he is a front runner, he comments on the well known, well publicized stuff, and can be the biggest fence sitter you ever saw. He did take the side of a former UPEI basketnall star from the US who could not get into Education, how they should make an exception etc etc, the kid had terrible marks, and there are waiting lists to get in. He is sure to comment on this situation, but I very much doubt he will research it. The Guardian and The Journal in Summerside, are both owned by Transcontinental Media. The same guys that closed down the Halifax Daily News. I think they are both on thin ice as it is and cannot spare anyone to dig around. Anyway, Fred will likely side with whomever appears as the most serious threat to him. I'm guessing AD Ronnie Annear. For his part, Annear's precedent was getting rid of basketball coach Mike Connelly by not re signing him when his contract expired. He took a lot of heat over that as MIke was extremely well liked by alumni, locals, fans etc. He was a local guy as well, they didn't have to go far to find someone, family great benefactors to UPEI basketball. When he did let Mike go, he said the sort of things like "We don't agree on the direction Mike is taking". A B/S statement if I have ever heard one, and I hear that one all the time, for, what coach in his or her right mind, wants anything other than an upward "direction". Anyway, some insider told me a few outside guys, complained about him, and Annear sided with them. Another source tells me he (AD) was non existant at the CIS Mens soccer championships at UPEI in 2005, I dont know why. As well, there are a good share of bloggers who blame Annear as well. So he publicly sided with DYlan, but that of course is what he is expected to do. So did Thomas Waugh, who is wearing the C, is a mature, well rounded individual. If Dodge is correct on the 20-5 vote, I'd venture he was one of the 5 who voted for the coach.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

View from afar ...

This is strange. I have been on teams where lots of guys hated the coach but when this happens mid-season, and after he's already been there a few years, is unprecedented.

But it is very early in the year and a new coach would be able to turn things around.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote