HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Danton heads for Sweden

Old
07-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Danton heads for Sweden

So this should be intresting..
It's all over the news today with a former prisoned nhl-player coming over here, no word which club though, there are some whispers about a third-tier club
we'll see!

is he any good nowadays?

http://twitter.com/#!/Mike_Danton/st...11134366433281

Quote:
Just signed my first pro contract in 8 years. I'm off to Sweden for the 2011-2012 season. Thanks to everyone for their support.

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:16 AM
timbitca

Third tier? I know he wasn't in the greatest shape last season, but I'm still sure he could do better than that.

He still has all his skills, conditioning isn't the best but if he gets that back he's still a very efficient grinder.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
billycanuck

Looks like he signed with IFK Ore in Division 1. Like mentioned above, little surprised by this, I thought he would be in Allsvenskan.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13395673.ab (Swedish)

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

IFK Ore is based in the small village of Furudal, which is a little over 300 kilometres north of Stockholm. The team plays out of the 32-year-old Furudals Hockeycenter, which has a capacity of 796. It averaged 169 fans per game last season.

lovely huh ?

Old
07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
IFK Ore is based in the small village of Furudal, which is a little over 300 kilometres north of Stockholm. The team plays out of the 32-year-old Furudals Hockeycenter, which has a capacity of 796. It averaged 169 fans per game last season.

lovely huh ?
So in other words he'll see bigger crowds than he's seen at SMU the last 2 years.

Old
07-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Island Husky

Doh!!!!

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 10:40 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
So this should be intresting..
It's all over the news today with a former prisoned nhl-player coming over here, no word which club though, there are some whispers about a third-tier club
we'll see!

is he any good nowadays?

http://twitter.com/#!/Mike_Danton/st...11134366433281
Mike Danton was instrumental in St.Mary`s National Title win in Thunder Bay a couple of years ago and was a solid 2 way player.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:24 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
So in other words he'll see bigger crowds than he's seen at SMU the last 2 years.
Not nice, Timbit.....I saw games at the Forum where they would get 2 to 3,000 people or so....in fact, I think they had a fund-raising night for sebasian savage which drew well over 3,500 fans....how he's doing BTW.....? Halifax is a good hockey town..the huskies just don't do anything to promote themselves which is too bad....

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 05:02 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
Not nice, Timbit.....I saw games at the Forum where they would get 2 to 3,000 people or so....in fact, I think they had a fund-raising night for sebasian savage which drew well over 3,500 fans....how he's doing BTW.....? Halifax is a good hockey town..the huskies just don't do anything to promote themselves which is too bad....
Haha, yeah I know they do get good crowds often but it usually won't happen just for a game, has to be either playoffs or an extra special night.

Sebastien is doing fairly well, still in school working on his social workers bachelors, he's regained a lot of movement in his arms tough his wrists are still weak (last I heard anyhow) he can function for the most part by himself. He was living alone, with his girlfriend, in an apartment in Ottawa last I heard.

Old
08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
No worse no better than Dal; It is still a tough sell compared to Moncton. Consider there are a full slate of programs on at Saint Mary's including the million dollar football program. As AUS Fan pointed out before, there were a number of reasons of which most of us had no idea prior, why the coaching staff don't try very hard. I won't mention all of them, But one of them was basketball and football are two mainstays of St. Mary's that go way way way back, and whereas the hockey team has one NC these guys have three each, going back to some very crucial years. Another is we are dealing with two quality university programs to offer to the the undecided public. A semi ( I guess ) pro basketball league that arrived just in time off of the NC season, at times three junior A teams, Three Major Midget teams, and of course the "you know who's" that even in their worst seasons completely out draw EVERYONE. There are at least a dozen high school teams in Metro alone. Last but not least, when the university did cut a sport this year, they were taken to task by the whole world no less, reinstated the team, but the hockey team itself is contributing 10,000 dollars to the cause per season for the next three...that's 30K they might use for something else including a little marketing? And there is so much more, but once again, this is the wrong thread.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

BTW, i'm going to watch him play tonight as Ore visits my hometeam Östersund in a pre-season game

Old
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
No worse no better than Dal; It is still a tough sell compared to Moncton. Consider there are a full slate of programs on at Saint Mary's including the million dollar football program. As AUS Fan pointed out before, there were a number of reasons of which most of us had no idea prior, why the coaching staff don't try very hard. I won't mention all of them, But one of them was basketball and football are two mainstays of St. Mary's that go way way way back, and whereas the hockey team has one NC these guys have three each, going back to some very crucial years. Another is we are dealing with two quality university programs to offer to the the undecided public. A semi ( I guess ) pro basketball league that arrived just in time off of the NC season, at times three junior A teams, Three Major Midget teams, and of course the "you know who's" that even in their worst seasons completely out draw EVERYONE. There are at least a dozen high school teams in Metro alone. Last but not least, when the university did cut a sport this year, they were taken to task by the whole world no less, reinstated the team, but the hockey team itself is contributing 10,000 dollars to the cause per season for the next three...that's 30K they might use for something else including a little marketing? And there is so much more, but once again, this is the wrong thread.
It's nice to know that UdeM hockey has little competition in Greater Moncton/Southeast NB for the entertainment $
Even if 2/3rds of the population can't even pronounce Aigles Bleus properly

Last edited by Alpine: 08-24-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Island Husky

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1264106.html

Danton to the rescue