HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Filatov to CSKA Moscow (All Things Filatov)

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2009, 11:58 AM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
That's just great, who needs draft picks anyways? we can just go out and sign free agents................ oh wait.
So he bailed on the team and is choosing to go around the problem, eh?

Gee, I was waaaay off this summer when I said that he had a smugness to him and I didn't like that smirk on his face. Waaaaaay off...

Old
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
So he bailed on the team and is choosing to go around the problem, eh?

Gee, I was waaaay off this summer when I said that he had a smugness to him and I didn't like that smirk on his face. Waaaaaay off...
You were right, it was a bad draft pick, it's still disappointing though.

Do I wish Hitch tried to play him more? Sure
Should Filatov have left so soon? No way.

Howson should get some blame here too, for forcing Hitch to play the kid, but no one has seemed to throw any blame his way.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:01 PM
jacks johnson

You must have known Hitch was going to ******* up the situation. Nothing like being right huh. Guess were a better orginization now that we lost the best prospect in the nhl

Old
11-17-2009, 12:11 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
So let's see what you predicted pre-season.

Since the Jackets are currently on a 104 point pace, were you thinking it would take 105 points for the eighth seed, or suddenly did your expectations rise somewhat dramatically?
Nope. In fact, I'd say they are about the same. But the reason they are the same? Ken Hitchcock. I think this team has potential to do better. I just don't think this coach can get them there.

I predicted them 9th. They are 2 points away from being 10th. Doesn't look like I was too far from the mark.

Quote:
I don't know. I think preseason most of us would have been very happy if this team came in between 95-105 points. This team is on that track.
You know how many times I hear "Player X is on pace to smash Player Y's record" at this point in a sports season? But often such analysis misses a significant flaw. For example, failing to note that the Jackets have played just one division game to this point, meaning that a significant portion of the remaining schedule will be against divisional opponents. Divisional opponents that I am not confident we will do well against.

Quote:
As an aside, there has never been a season this decade when 96 points wouldn't qualify. Yet this team in your opinion is failing.
Yippee! Playoffs! We made the playoffs last year. The consequence is that the bar is lifted. Stuck in neutral isn't good enough for me. I want to see progress and to this point we aren't seeing it.

How this team is supposed to ever gain traction and become a contender when it keeps squandering its assets is beyond me.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:11 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
You must have known Hitch was going to ******* up the situation. Nothing like being right huh. Guess were a better orginization now that we lost the best prospect in the nhl
Hitch screwed it up? Wake up and use your brain instead of buying into the HF lore of Hitch being the ogre under the bridge. There are countless young players who he has helped--a lot of them are on our team, but because the Diva Filatov bolts, Hitch mucked it up? Get a clue.

Filatov doesn't care one bit about his organization, his teammates or becoming a good NHL player. He has an easy out and he is taking it. Shame on them for not seeing through his pretty smile when they drafted him.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Do me a favor. Read the post I am responding to if you are going to defend Hash instead of simply going off half-cocked.
I wouldn't have any idea which post, in general, as you quoted ME and not Hash. You were the one that pulled me into the discussion where I might defend Hash.

Quote:
Did I miss the words "some of his" modifying "teammates"? No, didn't think so.

Here's an idea--let hash defend herself.
Here's an idea, don't quote me and then reference Hash if you don't want to discuss her posts.

That quote you just made didn't do anything to prove some point about anything. In the same breath, she didn't say "All his teammates" either.

Let me guess. When Obama said he has the support of the doctors you actually think he has the support of all the doctors? Or even a majority? Please. As I said, you read things into what people say (write). A lot actually.

Quote:
And the Stamkos article was an example of how you handle young talent in the new NHL. Something critically important for a "budget" team.
And you did not address anything I said in response. Address the reponse and quit going off in totally different directions.

As I said you have no idea what the converstation were between Hitch and Filatov were other then one reference you quoted. And even that one you didn't have context.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Hitch screwed it up? Wake up and use your brain instead of buying into the HF lore of Hitch being the ogre under the bridge. There are countless young players who he has helped--a lot of them are on our team, but because the Diva Filatov bolts, Hitch mucked it up? Get a clue.

Filatov doesn't care one bit about his organization, his teammates or becoming a good NHL player. He has an easy out and he is taking it. Shame on them for not seeing through his pretty smile when they drafted him.
The fact that Ken Hitchcock can't coach anyone that doesn't fit his mold and can't figure out how to treat different players differently certainly has something to do with the end result here.

This is a budget team and you can't keep throwing away draft picks and other assets down the toilet and expect to win.

Ken Hitchcock spent the successful part of his career on teams that could afford to blow money like its going out of style. We aren't that team.

For all of those who want to celebrate the departure of yet another young prospect deemed "mercurial" or "selfish" please tell me how this team is going to replace the production Filatov would have provided in future years without breaking the bank in free agency now?

Clearly Howson lost the battle to Hitchcock. It can't be a pleasing feeling for our GM to know that he's now Ken Hitchcock's underling.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:23 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
It isn't about looking back. RE: Zherdev, Maclean admitted earlier this year that he ignored the warning signs but was enamoured by his flashy skill.

Zherdev played as well as he seemingly could for Hitch. He had a good year and we got something good for him. A good ending to that saga.

Brule: I know for a fact he wasn't in at least one teams' top 2 rounds in their draft order.

It is also fairly common knowledge that the choice was supposed to be Kopitar but Maclean changed his mind on the way to the podium and chose Brule. Looking at how well Kopitar turned out just makes it that much more frustrating.

Wait, you said that you supported the trade, but then criticize Hitch for 'giving up on him'? At the time the team was in much different state and we need proven NHL players. Good for Brule that he has played decent (by a points estimation thus far), but he has 3 points in his last 10 games after a 7 point in 7 game start. The guy is a 30-40 point player--I am not losing any sleep that 'we gave up on him too early'.
You say it's not about looking back you are looking back wishing we had Kopitar. Again, I'm happy with the Brule trade because it is helping us win now and helped us win last year. But I'm seeing a habit of very high draft picks for this team being gone before they've even turned 23. That to me, is a cause for concern.

Look at how much Kopitar has exploded since getting Ryan Smyth on his line. Howson would never make a move like that. Look how well Crosby played when he got Guerin on his wing. Howson isn't going to pay a high priced veteran to join his team, even if he knows it can help us win now because he'd rather develop talent from within. That's fine, I 'm all for that. But it doesn't work if that talent is in Russia.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:24 PM
skimp

Portzline's Twitter:

Quote:
Columbus Dispatch: Nikita FIlatov headed to KHL's CSKA Moscow on one-year loan agreement.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
JacketsFanWest

What a mess. The situation with Filatov seemed so much better than with other Russians. He's a young man who spoke English and was willing to come over and play in the minors last year. He's not the typical Russian player, yet now he's going to be labeled another Zherdev.

While I get that he's not a Hitch type of player, the atmosphere wasn't good for a rookie if he's so scared if he makes a turnover he's going to be benched. Remember Rick Nash his first two years and how he was a turnover machine and with a double digit negative +/-.

Nikita still needs to get stronger on the puck and be able to power through checks. While hitting the weights is fine, he's still a 19 year old and needs to grow into his body. Whether he does that in the US or Russia, it doesn't matter. It's just a shame if there's another one of these incidents where a player leaves disgruntled. This is the second straight year a player in the Jackets organization to bolted to CSKA Moscow in the middle of a season.

It's not like the Jackets couldn't use some additional secondary scoring. While they've been able to win, they're playing not to lose, not to win. It's a shame Hitch couldn't find a way to be more supportive of Nikita while trying to use his offensive talents, since in the end, a team of Sesito, Boll, Dorsett and Blunden is never going to be able to put the puck in the net.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Skraut

Some days I just love the logic of the boards.

Filatov was "ruined" because he wasn't given an opportunity to play on the top lines

Yet 2 years ago we were having the exact opposite conversation:

Brule was "ruined" because he was thrown in the league and into situations he wasn't ready for.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:29 PM
evengodlovesthecbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Portzline's Twitter:

Bye bye Filly. We will never see him again.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Portzline's Twitter:
Hey, we could still fire Hitchcock within the year and bring Niki back.

Wonder if Maxim Mayorov is looking at airfares to Russia today.

On the bright side, we no longer have to worry about the glut of wingers. Howson can just re-sign Torres and be done with it.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
IHeartZherdev

I think the point with Stamkos, is that both coaches (Melrose and Tocchet) saw the same thing. Stamkos had tons of talent, but was not ready mentally, or physcially, to be a full time player in the NHL and needed to develop.

Melrose benched him, talked about him in the media, played him with fourth liners, punished each and every mistake. (Hitchcock style).

Tocchet knew Melrose was right, but took a different approach. He scratched him but had him working with a trainer, watching the game with a coach to help him learn and adjust. Showing some confidence in him, that even though he didn't believe he was ready, the felt he would be if they gave him the right tools and helped him develop. Tocchet also gave him small amounts of ice time at first, but played him with skilled guys to give him confidence and the chance to be put in scoring situations.

No one is going to argue the fact that as of right now, Filatov is not a top line player and may not fully be NHL ready. But it's hard to argue against his talent and what it could mean to this franchise for years to come.

When you look at his hat trick last year, it didn't come from a full game of playing on the top line. He still had like 10 minutes. But he was more free to play his game, wasn't hesitating or nervous about being benched, and was in good situations that he made the most of.

.....seen Filatov?

Old
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Hey, at least we still have Blunden, Boll and all the other 4th line grinders who play heavy & are responsible. Have hands of stone, can't hit the net to save themselves, etc.; but at least they're "Hitch guys".

Oh and by the way Niles, at least you now know who you're boss is..........................

Old
11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
Hey, at least we still have Blunden, Boll and all the other 4th line grinders who play heavy & are responsible. Have hands of stone, can't hit the net to save themselves, etc.; but at least they're "Hitch guys".

Oh and by the way Niles, at least you now know who you're boss is..........................
Well, Matt Calvert is playing great in juniors. Its just a shame he's too small for Hitch to want to coach him. Trade him now for another grinder that can't fight.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Hey, I'm fine with it. It's a loan agreement, which is something I've been favoring for a while. Hopefully by next year we'll have gotten rid of Juice.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:

Yeah, can't wait to draft career grinders in the 1st round, guys who will make the 3rd line if they're lucky. No speed and skill is allowed in Columbus.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:47 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

I guess we can remove the question mark from the thread title

i'll be okay with it as long as we dont lose him for good.

We're winning without him and I really dont think he adds that much right now. He needs to keep improving. Hopefully he sticks around next year

Old
11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
From Richer's Ghost on the NJ board:

Old
11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
CallMeJerry

Quote:

Old
11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Hey, I'm fine with it. It's a loan agreement, which is something I've been favoring for a while. Hopefully by next year we'll have gotten rid of Juice.
He's not going to play for the Jackets ever again, at least not with Hitch as coach. We would just be going through the same thing we are now 12 months from now.
Radulov has a better chance of returning to Nashville than Nikki coming back here.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidAcbj View Post
i'll be okay with it as long as we dont lose him for good.
I'm sure after a year playing the free-wheeling Russian style and getting top 6 minutes that Niki will be desparate to come back and be be-rated by his coach and thrown on a line with Blunden and Boll.

Old
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Well, Matt Calvert is playing great in juniors. Its just a shame he's too small for Hitch to want to coach him. Trade him now for another grinder that can't fight.
How much do you want to bet that Calvert doesn't have the same issues trying to make this team?

Old
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post

Tocchet knew Melrose was right, but took a different approach. He scratched him but had him working with a trainer, watching the game with a coach to help him learn and adjust. Showing some confidence in him, that even though he didn't believe he was ready, the felt he would be if they gave him the right tools and helped him develop. Tocchet also gave him small amounts of ice time at first, but played him with skilled guys to give him confidence and the chance to be put in scoring situations.
You think Hitch wouldn't do that?

Look at how they're handling Commodore. Look at what they tried to do for Filatov the first couple games.

It's Filatov that doesn't want to put in the work, not Hitch. That's why he's going back to a lesser league where he won't have to put in as much work. Period.

I'm not trying to pile on Filatov, but I have a problem when people take the easy way out.

Closed Thread