HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filatov to CSKA Moscow (All Things Filatov)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2009, 10:41 PM
MFRONE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Of course they disagreed. Hitch wants a team full of grinders who are big, slow, and can't skate. He thinks he's still in the old-NHL, clutch and grab hockey, win 1-0. Doesn't work that way anymore Hitch.

Meanwhile Howson realizes you actually need some goal scoring on the team, drafts Voracek (playmaker, I know) and Filatov while getting some offensive defensemen in later rounds, filling a huge need in the minors. Hitch wants defensive defensemen that can't skate and can muck it up for 60 minutes.

Them disagreeing on Filatov really shouldn't be a surprise.

Robert was right, Hitch is stuck in 1999.
It really sucks that we've won the last 2 games and are in the top 8 right now.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Is it just possible that Filatov just isn't ready for the NHL?
Yes, but I did say several times in the previous Filatov thread that he should be in the minors or traded if deemed not ready.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:42 PM
jktsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
If Howson were "in charge", Filatov would be getting 15 minutes a night.
Go ahead - call me stupid if you want but I think the boy (yes I said boy) could not handle 15 minutes. He's been checked good several times and he shys away from the puck when a defenseman is barreling down on him. If he feels he needs to go back to Russia to be appreciated, so be it.

Old
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...8&postcount=51

Old
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
It really sucks that we've won the last 2 games and are in the top 8 right now.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the coach and GM having different philosophies on how to build a hockey team. One wants speed and skill, the other wants grit and no skill.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Gulvorn

It's probably for the better for his development, or good for a potential trade before the trade deadline or in the next offseason. If we aren't going to play him, might as well get someone good for him.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Skraut

it's funny, I found myself randomly today wondering about the coverage the Dispatch provides. I've always lauded their efforts, and it's terrific they are able to devote so many people to covering the team, and they make the Jackets one of the best covered teams south of the Canadian Border. But lets not forget the Dispatch has a financial stake in the team.

But I started wondering after reading about Mason's Back Spasms. Are they real, or is it just an excuse? I understand protecting a young player like Steve especially at a public function like Hockey Fest after the game he had. If I was in charge, I would have made an excuse why he wasn't there either. I know it's for charity, I know it's a family event, but goalies being fickle players, I wouldn't want him where fans could ask him about the game and remind him of it, over and over and over.

So the Dispatch reports Mason has back spasms, Garon starts like we all thought he would, and the fans are appeased.

Now we have this story. I'm not saying it's true, I'm not saying it's not true, but I can't help wondering how appropriate, or what the motives are for publishing it. It is just going to incite the fans. Is it a power play by ownership to force Hitch to play Filatov? Or is is just preparing the fans for the letdown when he gets on a plane tomorrow?

Old
MFRONE

Quote:
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the coach and GM having different philosophies on how to build a hockey team. One wants speed and skill, the other wants grit and no skill.
Come on, you know that's not true. If Hitch wanted no skill he would have a team full of Andrew Murray's.

Nash is one of the most skilled players in the league. Voracek is very skillful and Hitch is trusting him with minutes late and I wouldn't be shocked to see him killing penalties by the end of the season.

Old
Gulvorn

Quote:
No I think Hitch would be happy if Filatov could just play in our own end, but he has proven that he makes too many mistakes in our own end, and that's how you lose games easily. He needs to be playing on the fourth line but the problem is he gets stuck with players like Boll or whatnot. So it's hard to find a place to put him where he can get scoring chances and doesn't have to play much defense. I think it's best to either get him more experience in the minors or wherever

Last edited by Gulvorn: 11-16-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old
11-16-2009, 10:46 PM
MFRONE

Please, the Dispatch does not have an agenda to protect the team.

Some of you folks are thinking into things just a bit too much.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Come on, you know that's not true. If Hitch wanted no skill he would have a team full of Andrew Murray's.

Nash is one of the most skilled players in the league. Voracek is very skillful and Hitch is trusting him with minutes late and I wouldn't be shocked to see him killing penalties by the end of the season.
Alright, maybe I am going a little bit too far, but I am upset over losing a very good hockey player drafted 6th overall.

I think Hitch is a good coach, a great coach for a team with little skill and has to play perfect defensively to win games, that was us 2 years ago.

Now that we have a very skilled team up front and in goal, is he the greatest choice based on our current roster?? I don't know.

We have the pieces to run a more offense friendly system.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
CBJmeser61

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
IMHO, that's a total cop out. If Filatov isn't ready, and I don't think he looks ready at all, then playing him on one of the top two lines probably hurts his confidence much more than playing down the lineup. He clearly is not playing well against mainly third pairing defensemen. How do you think he would perform against the Chris Prongers, Jan Hejdas and Nicklas Lidstroms of the NHL. Those men would probably knock him down more than a peg. To build his confidence, his competitiveness and strength, I think it's most effective if he was in Syracuse or perhaps the OHL. Perhaps the implied threats are true? Maybe he really needs to go down a level and he would have bolted for the KHL if he was sent down? Maybe the decision to loan him to a KHL team is a version of sending Nik to the "minors"?
If your playing him with the Boll's of the world how do you expect the kid to score? There was a build-up of Brass and Jake last year that just is not there with Nikita and it is because of his confidence. We do not know how he will react against the top dmen of the world, but it sure can't be any worse the Juice was earlier this year. All this crap about competitiveness is ridiculous to me. Most of the time he is competitive and for the single shift he suck than it is back to the press box with him, how do you expect him to get into any routine or anything? You can only get so much better in practice.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Of course they disagreed. Hitch wants a team full of grinders who are big, slow, and can't skate. He thinks he's still in the old-NHL, clutch and grab hockey, win 1-0. Doesn't work that way anymore Hitch.

Meanwhile Howson realizes you actually need some goal scoring on the team, drafts Voracek (playmaker, I know) and Filatov while getting some offensive defensemen in later rounds, filling a huge need in the minors. Hitch wants defensive defensemen that can't skate and can muck it up for 60 minutes.

Them disagreeing on Filatov really shouldn't be a surprise.

Robert was right, Hitch is stuck in 1999.
You're right. A guy that saw firsthand what Mike Modano and Brett Hull could do doesn't like offense, and a guy that had Sergei Zubov on his blueline has no idea what an asset an offensive defenseman is. A guy that had no problem giving Carter, Richards, Pitkanen, and Umberger a decent amount of playing time at the expense of aging veterans doesn't know anything about playing the best guys. And a guy that had no second thoughts about turning Antero Niitymaki into a #1 goalie doesn't know anything about not letting lack of North American experience.

You dramatically oversimplify a series of basic issues in an attempt to wedge real-life situations into some fantasyland that fits into your hideously narrow view of the way things really are. Your bias is both extremely obvious and extremely ridiculous. Hell, Hitchcock in Philly (post-lockout) had a team in the top-10 in goals scored and below average in goals against even though his blueline had Mike Rathje, Derian Hatcher, Chris Therien, and Denis Gauthier and four top-six forwards that were over age 32. He took the fall when the rent came due on Bobby Clarke's pathetic personnel moves going into the 06-07 season; if Clarke had done an average job, Hitchcock would still be there and Philly would be winning more than they are.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
CBJmeser61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
No I think Hitch would be happy if Filatov could just play in our own end, but he has proven that he makes too many mistakes in our own end, and that's how you lose games easily. He needs to be playing on the fourth line but the problem is he gets stuck with players like Boll or whatnot. So it's hard to find a place to put him where he can get scoring chances and doesn't have to play much defense. I think it's best to either get him more experience in the minors or wherever
Because Huselius is a great defensive player...

Old
11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Monk

I could be wrong about this because I'm not a stats junkie, but aren't we flip-flopped this year? I was under the impression we were pretty high in the scoring list, and relatively low in the defense lists. And our PP is at the very least decent, while where is our PK?

Old
11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
One other thing, Filatov had some friends on this team...

Hitchcock is nuts with this immature display of handling the kid. What young Russian player would ever agree to play for Hitchcock after this gets out (btw, there are now 14 independent nations to think about in addition to Russia).

Stupid

Old
11-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I could be wrong about this because I'm not a stats junkie, but aren't we flip-flopped this year? I was under the impression we were pretty high in the scoring list, and relatively low in the defense lists. And our PP is at the very least decent, while where is our PK?
The stats are lying. The truth is Hitch is a Defensive minded coach who doesn't let players score.

Old
11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Old
11-16-2009, 10:59 PM
WrightOn

What happened to "win now?"

Please explain "handled immaturely" Robert.

The coach is playing the best players.

And winning.

Boo ****ing Hoo

All the babies are crying because their little Filly toy is gonna leave. Yeah, this little kid deserves to be playing all this ice time when its obvious he can't hang. Seems like he can't handle the heat of the NHL. And that's the coaches fault. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA

I wish Filatov the best, because I really like the player, but I like the team more.

Get some perspective you dufuses---this is immaturity on the kids part.

Last edited by WrightOn: 11-16-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old
11-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJmeser61 View Post
Because Huselius is a great defensive player...
Yea but the difference is Juice can't be sent down. You really think he is going to get resigned? And does anyone really like him that much? He makes a lot of money to simply score around between 15-20 goals a year on a line with Rick Nash.

Old
11-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Hitchcock is nuts with this immature display of handling the kid. What young Russian player would ever agree to play for Hitchcock after this gets out (btw, there are now 14 independent nations to think about in addition to Russia).

Stupid
Because he's not giving in to a 19 year old kid who's mad that he's not playing well enough to deserve ice team? And threatening to leave after only a small part of the season because he's not getting what he wants? Yeah, Hitchcock is the immature one.

Old
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Stupid
Isn't this why people say to not draft Russians? If you had Brule and continued to play him just because he was the #6 overall but didn't play the way you wanted to, and then sat him occasionally when he played badly, would someone make the statement that all Canadians wouldn't want to play for Hitch? No...they wouldn't. It would just mean that Brule didn't fit in Columbus

Old
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The stats are lying. The truth is Hitch is a Defensive minded coach who doesn't let players score.

Ah, I knew I was missing something. I forgot that stats could mislead me

Old
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 406
Why not trade him?

The Jackets could get assets to help them now and Filatov could go to a team that would play him in the top 6

Old
11-16-2009, 11:01 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
C'mon, you don't really believe that do you? I think Hitchcock wants guys who play a solid all around game. He wants them to have skill, play solid defense, forecheck, and manage the puck well. You may not like it, but when teams in general don't do those things, they often look good while leaving their goalie and defense hung out to dry and losing a lot of games, while missing the playoffs. I think there's a book about this. Isn't it named "The History of the Toronto Maple Leafs 1968-2009?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
it's funny, I found myself randomly today wondering about the coverage the Dispatch provides. I've always lauded their efforts, and it's terrific they are able to devote so many people to covering the team, and they make the Jackets one of the best covered teams south of the Canadian Border. But lets not forget the Dispatch has a financial stake in the team.

But I started wondering after reading about Mason's Back Spasms. Are they real, or is it just an excuse? I understand protecting a young player like Steve especially at a public function like Hockey Fest after the game he had. If I was in charge, I would have made an excuse why he wasn't there either. I know it's for charity, I know it's a family event, but goalies being fickle players, I wouldn't want him where fans could ask him about the game and remind him of it, over and over and over.

So the Dispatch reports Mason has back spasms, Garon starts like we all thought he would, and the fans are appeased.

Now we have this story. I'm not saying it's true, I'm not saying it's not true, but I can't help wondering how appropriate, or what the motives are for publishing it. It is just going to incite the fans. Is it a power play by ownership to force Hitch to play Filatov? Or is is just preparing the fans for the letdown when he gets on a plane tomorrow?
Quote:
Please, the Dispatch does not have an agenda to protect the team.

Some of you folks are thinking into things just a bit too much.
I generally think very highly of the Dispatch reporters who cover the Jacklets. On the other hand, the Wolfe family has always used the Dispatch to bludgeon people they want out, move whatever agendas they want forward and generally shape public opinion. The Dispatch used this power to get Earle Bruce fired (don't believe for a minute the OSU Pres really was behind it), Buck Rinehart out of office, Eldon Miller fired, John Cooper fired and of course Doug MacLean fired. They were all gone. I can name more people the Dispatch pushed out.

I am not saying they want Hitchcock or Howson out. I don't think we have seen enough to know. If the Wolfes decide someone needs to go, I don't like that person's odds on job longevity. The only public figure that I can remember beating the Wolfes was Woody Hayes in 1953 AND 1966-7.

Closed Thread