HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacT Haters Looking Smart

Old
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by U3O8 View Post
Hey for the last 3 years or more, there have been a lot of people here stating that KLowe was the problem not MacT. He has lost far more trades than he has won, he has signed way more bad contracts than good, and he has made more poor draft decisions than good.

If you call the original Pronger signing and Penner his two shinning moments, I say even a "Blind Squirrel" will find a nut now and then.

The problem with the organization is they did not recognize who to blame. Rather than fire KLowe they rewarded him with a promotion. Hence, his poison is still in the system. Until he is gone, the organization will not have rid itself of one of its biggest anchors'.

As for MacT, i thought he was a great coach, and supported him. Look at the talent he took to the Stanley Cup final. But in the end, I would agree the organization needed a change, now it is quite apparent that the players must be changed.

Again, several people have called this for the last 3 years. But a lot of the lightbulbs in the crowd, who love to sip the Oiler Kool-Aid, would just bash away at those like DSF who laid out nothing but common sense.

What are we destined for, hmmmm, if the past 25 years have anything to say, i can guarantee this team will compete for 7th to 12th spot for the next 25. Rarely better and rarely worse. That is the sorry future of this team.
Uh ... you do realize the franchise has done pretty well the past 25 years, right?

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Uh ... you do realize the franchise has done pretty well the past 25 years, right?
Ok, so i meant 20 years, 1990 on. Hmmm, I wonder how many times we've made the playoffs since then?

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Ok, so i meant 20 years, 1990 on. Hmmm, I wonder how many times we've made the playoffs since then?
Considering we won the cup in 90 that makes us better than the majority of teams.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
10 Times 1 Stanley cup and 1 Stanley cup Final lost

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Considering we won the cup in 90 that makes us better than the majority of teams.
Your brilliant, hope you enjoy the mediocrity of the Edmonton Oilers this year and the next 20. Keep drinking the cool-aid.

Old
11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Although winning the cup is the ultimate goal, most teams that do that usually have a solid core together for many years, and have lots of chances making the playoffs. Since 1990, I would suspect that our playoffs appearance record is in the bottom 1/3.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Your brilliant, hope you enjoy the mediocrity of the Edmonton Oilers this year and the next 20. Keep drinking the cool-aid.
Are you glutton for punishment? If you really think they are going to bad for the next 25 years then I give you a thumbs up for being a fan.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gone
Fire KLowe

Yeah, i see a few of you just love to live in 1991, congrats. It makes everything that happened since then all worth while. Good for you, my guess is your used to that kinda success.

Old
Stoneman89

Quote:
He didn't used to be like this. Something happened to him in the last few months. Perhaps a fall?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Are you glutton for punishment? If you really think they are going to bad for the next 25 years then I give you a thumbs up for being a fan.
Really, I am the glutton for punishment. Good one. Enjoy watching the Oil finish 9th in the west, waste a draft pick, and sign another dumb contract.

Old
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I would enjoy it more if people were more realistic in their expectations and assessments. There are problems here. Kevin Lowe needs to be purged. Im not sold on Tambo. This summer was disturbing to say the least. Prognosticating twenty years of failure is hyperbole. Btw its kool aid and accusing me of drinking it is comical.

Old
11-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Good stat finding Narnia. I woudn't have realized it was worst than that! Wow.
I've got it on excel and track the Oilers injuries game by game.

11-17-2009, 01:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Really, I am the glutton for punishment. Good one. Enjoy watching the Oil finish 9th in the west, waste a draft pick, and sign another dumb contract.
I wasn't being sarcastic. If you really think that they will be as bad as they are now for the next 25 years why would you still follow the team?

Seems to me you are as stupid as you want to make everyone else sound (now that is sarcastic)

Old
11-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
I wasn't being sarcastic. If you really think that they will be as bad as they are now for the next 25 years why would you still follow the team?

Seems to me you are as stupid as you want to make everyone else sound (now that is sarcastic)
Hey, yes, start calling me names. That'll get your point across.

Old
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Although winning the cup is the ultimate goal, most teams that do that usually have a solid core together for many years, and have lots of chances making the playoffs. Since 1990, I would suspect that our playoffs appearance record is in the bottom 1/3.
Thats what happens when your owner goes Wall St. with your hockey team. It will take time and patience along with competent management. I am not convinced we have any of those things.

Old
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Arpeggio

Just for the record, Lowe didn't get a promotion. I don't think he even really does anything anymore. When he's spending more time scouting for Team Canada than the Oilers, I think it's pretty clear he doesn't have much to do with personnel moves anymore.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Just for the record, Lowe didn't get a promotion. I don't think he even really does anything anymore. When he's spending more time scouting for Team Canada than the Oilers, I think it's pretty clear he doesn't have much to do with personnel moves anymore.
Pretty much.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Hey, yes, start calling me names. That'll get your point across.
You really don't have a sense of humour do you?

I was basically saying you are accusing people of drinking the kool-aid and following the team and yet you continue to do so though utterly convinced nothing will change in the next 25 years?

I wasn't really calling you stupid (that was the joke part as I called us all stupid). I just find it ironic.

Old
11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Maybe I'm just a blind, Kool Aid drinking idiot that loves punishment but I still hold out hope for this season.

But I guess that seperates me from many on here. I prefer to see things in life in a positive light, even when they aren't looking great.

Some of you should try it. You might actually enjoy your life.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 01:59 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Nope. 12th. Grebeshkov for 4 years at $4M and draft a small "skilled" forward.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 02:00 PM
MrOiler

First off, with the injuries/flu it's tough to assess this team or the coaching impact - AND it's only 20 games into the season.

Second, MacT was hardly the the only problem but he was certainly the easiest to do something about.

IMHO, KLo has had a number of highlights (signing Pronger, Hemsky contract, Penner, Souray, Roloson & 2006 deadline trades, Lubo) and lowlights (Pronger trade, Horcoff contract, Nilsson, Jan Hedja), which are pretty even. His biggest mistakes were with two gambling moves in regards to the future NHL seasons:

a) he expected the cap would increase so overpays would wash out by the end of the contracts - i.e. Horcoff contract

b) small man hockey would thrive in the new NHL - i.e. Gagner, Cogs, Nilsson

The recession and the lack of grit play on the boards proved these wrong, hence our current issues.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 02:01 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Maybe I'm just a blind, Kool Aid drinking idiot that loves punishment but I still hold out hope for this season.

But I guess that seperates me from many on here. I prefer to see things in life in a positive light, even when they aren't looking great.

Some of you should try it. You might actually enjoy your life.
Aren't you the guy that rolled all your Oiler gear into a ball and threw it in the back of your closet last season when it was apparent they were going to miss the playoffs?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
To be fair, did not Mactavish have to play almost a quarter of a season with almost half the team injured?

Mactavish ended up getting blamed for everything and anything. It went to far on this board (as most everything does)

It was obvious that this team needed a coaching change but it was just as obvious that the problems didn't begin or end with coaching.
For sure. What's his excuse for the rest?

Like his insistence of playing Shawn "Offensive Black Hole" Horcoff on the 1PP, or playing Roloson 3485 games straight? Who takes the blame for the terrible special teams?

Then there's things like publicly throwing Penner under several busses. Although the jury's still out, he's probably going to have a whale of a season this year.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
For sure. What's his excuse for the rest?

Like his insistence of playing Shawn "Offensive Black Hole" Horcoff on the 1PP, or playing Roloson 3485 games straight? Who takes the blame for the terrible special teams?

Then there's things like publicly throwing Penner under several busses. Although the jury's still out, he's probably going to have a whale of a season this year.
Did you miss the last paragraph in my post. Read it again! Note the first part of that sentence and read it carefully!

Old
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
You really don't have a sense of humour do you?
If you say its humour, then ha, ha.

I dont think anyone here likes the fact that since 1992, this team basically sucks, and other than MacT's drive to the Stanley Cup final in 2006, a year in which we made the playoffs by 1 point, there hasnt been a lot of joy.

Most people wanted to blame MacT, but at the end of the day, the blame lay's squarely on the shoulder of management; of which KLowe has been the biggest component.

I too want to remain positive, and believe it or not, would be overjoyed watching youngsters like the likes of Brule, out there hustling every night, yet finishing bottom 5 so we can build a solid nucleus. What do we get instead, 7to12th place finishes, and no hope.