HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT Haters Looking Smart

Old
11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
theranfordflop

vCash: 500
Sigh...

Barely anybody actually watches the games any more.

The team is playing a better brand of hockey. Wins will come. In the mean time enjoy the fact you can watch an Oiler game without pulling your hair out this season.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:07 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by U3O8 View Post
If you say its humour, then ha, ha.

I dont think anyone here likes the fact that since 1992, this team basically sucks, and other than MacT's drive to the Stanley Cup final in 2006, a year in which we made the playoffs by 1 point, there hasnt been a lot of joy.

Most people wanted to blame MacT, but at the end of the day, the blame lay's squarely on the shoulder of management; of which KLowe has been the biggest component.

I too want to remain positive, and believe it or not, would be overjoyed watching youngsters like the likes of Brule, out there hustling every night, yet finishing bottom 5 so we can build a solid nucleus. What do we get instead, 7to12th place finishes, and no hope.
Why do you insist on telling people how they should feel and trying to make them feel stupid for feeling that way?

That is how you are coming across! Put a lid on it. You have a right to your emotions and your feelings but you do not have the right to tell anyone how they should feel!

I tried to get my point across with humour but it obviously completely went over your head!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
First off, with the injuries/flu it's tough to assess this team or the coaching impact - AND it's only 20 games into the season.

Second, MacT was hardly the the only problem but he was certainly the easiest to do something about.

IMHO, KLo has had a number of highlights (signing Pronger, Hemsky contract, Penner, Souray, Roloson & 2006 deadline trades, Lubo) and lowlights (Pronger trade, Horcoff contract, Nilsson, Jan Hedja), which are pretty even. His biggest mistakes were with two gambling moves in regards to the future NHL seasons:

a) he expected the cap would increase so overpays would wash out by the end of the contracts - i.e. Horcoff contract

b) small man hockey would thrive in the new NHL - i.e. Gagner, Cogs, Nilsson

The recession and the lack of grit play on the boards proved these wrong, hence our current issues.
If you are such a KLowe supporter then where are the results. It has not been as even as you suggest. You think Horcoff was just a lowlight, it is one of the bottom 10 worst contracts in the history of the NHL and will handcuff this team for years, letting Smyth go was not a good move, you think the Moreau-Pisani contracts were good. Penner's contract is only looking reasonable in year 3. MacT was right about Penner last year. We only had Pronger one year BTW.

To build a winner, you have to win more deals than you lose. It's not even close for KLowe.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Stoneman89

Just thought I'd get on here and say bye, before this get's shut down.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Why do you insist on telling people how they should feel and trying to make them feel stupid for feeling that way?

That is how you are coming across! Put a lid on it. You have a right to your emotions and your feelings but you do not have the right to tell anyone how they should feel!

I tried to get my point across with humour but it obviously completely went over your head!
OMG, now your reading it the wrong way! Put a lid on it for acknowledging it was suppose to be funny. Ha, Ha.

Please tell me how i tried to make you feel stupid. If I did, many, many appologies. Definately not my intention!

Yes, for you I will put a lid on it. I will stop posting and delete my account. My intention is never to make anyone feel bad. Sorry.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Did you miss the last paragraph in my post. Read it again! Note the first part of that sentence and read it carefully!
You're a school teacher aren't you?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
OMG, now your reading it the wrong way! Put a lid on it for acknowledging it was suppose to be funny. Ha, Ha.

Please tell me how i tried to make you feel stupid. If I did, many, many appologies. Definately not my intention!

Yes, for you I will put a lid on it. I will stop posting and delete my account. My intention is never to make anyone feel bad. Sorry.
I am sure it was not your intention but you are trying to tell people that they shouldn't feel anything positive and basically they are stupid for doing so!

I understand that you don't see it that way so I turned it around on you on your post and you certainly did not like it did you? In fact you got mad and accused me of calling you stupid!

So take that feeling when you read my post and project it on all the people that you are basically calling stupid because they may not believe that the Oilers are going to be bad for the next 25 years!

Your opinion as as overboard as you are accusing everyone else of being!

Old
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Sigh...

Barely anybody actually watches the games any more.

The team is playing a better brand of hockey. Wins will come. In the mean time enjoy the fact you can watch an Oiler game without pulling your hair out this season.
In my case you're right. I just don't have the time in my work schedule or home life to watch hardly any games. I have listened to more on the radio in my work vehicle than I have watched. So, having said that, from what little I have seen and heard along with your assessment of better play by the Oilers, you're probably right that wins will come. Regardless of what brand of hockey they play though, I will always stick by the Oil

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:23 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life34 View Post
What about the season the Oilers were dressing 5 dman towards the end of the season and didn't have anymore to call up?????????????
In no 20 game period did they miss Sheller, Lubo, Horcoff, Hemsky, Pisani, Comrie, Brule, Jacques, Stone, Pouliot, Staios, Smid and now Grebeshkov with injuries or the 2008/2009 equivalent of that.

They're on pace for 420 man games lost. Which would be a new team record. And they're key losses, too. Penner, Gagner and O'Sullivan are just about the only three members in our top-9 that we haven't missed. Gilbert and Strudwick are the only two defenseman we haven't missed.

Apart from when things got so bad that they had to call up Bisaillon from the QMJHL in 2007, it's never been anything near this under MacT.

And I'm hardly a MacTavish "hater".

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
If you say its humour, then ha, ha.

I dont think anyone here likes the fact that since 1992, this team basically sucks, and other than MacT's drive to the Stanley Cup final in 2006, a year in which we made the playoffs by 1 point, there hasnt been a lot of joy.

Most people wanted to blame MacT, but at the end of the day, the blame lay's squarely on the shoulder of management; of which KLowe has been the biggest component.

I too want to remain positive, and believe it or not, would be overjoyed watching youngsters like the likes of Brule, out there hustling every night, yet finishing bottom 5 so we can build a solid nucleus. What do we get instead, 7to12th place finishes, and no hope.
So this team is better off with MacTavish still coaching?

Your opinion is valid, but if there is no hope, why waste your time even watching the games? You seem to know exactly how this will play out, so instead of calling people that still want this team to succeed cool-aid drinkers (sp) maybe it's time to reexamine why you would want to support this club.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:31 PM
GSC

The entire organization is at fault for this team.

They made the right move to bring in an elite coaching staff, but even Quinn, Renney, and Fleming can't coach this group of assclowns.

Lowe, and now Tambo, are on the clock for this. It's high past time this organization became accountable for it's horrible roster management.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Joe Hallenback

Normally I wouldn't comment in threads like this but its becoming the norm around here to have really assinine threads

I will say this again and yes it is true so get it through your heads

Edmonton is not a city that will attract the top notch free agents or get players to drop NTC to come here. Pronger did not want to be here, Hossa did not want to sign here and Heatley did not want to come here.

If those 3 players are not convincing enough than nothing will convince that Edmonton is not a first chose city in the NHL

Secondly. When I first came here all heard was "We the fans were PROMISED by the management that the Oilers will spend near the cap and ALWAYS try to be competitive. No selling off players for draft picks etc.."

Forget about going after the big fish. Draft smartly, Develop your players in your system and roll them out year after year. Find the right free agents for your team. Roll 4 lines. Play tough defensively. Be a hard team to play against night after night

But they can't do that. I guarantee you the same people *****ing and moaning in this thread would be first ones to crucify whoever is running the team if they decided to do just that. "Oh no were back to being the farm team for the league!!. They promised us we would spend and bring in big names!".

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 136
I am not sure how the haterss look smart. Enless I am readingh that standing wrong the oiler s are still where they have been for the last two years and are goinh nowhere quick. They are not a playoff team by stretch of the imagination and look to be going quicker then a 5 buck hooker on welfare day
How sre they looking smart? Mact suffered through some horrible injury streatches and had to coach a yeam with its heart cut out
Untill renney and quinn get the oilersd in the playoff the mact hater look anything but smart they sewm more blind then anything else
The oiler organization have some huge problems now and the mact haters need to clue into the fact that mact was only part of the problem and we are still lookinhg for the solution

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
voucher101

All of our younglings are starting to develop now under quinney instead of 2 or 3 years ago. Last couple of years were a bit of a waste but what can u do. Im blaming klowe still, mostly for getting nothing for pronger, let alone trading him instantly to a western conf team. You tell the guy to suck it up dip**** and wait for the deadline. we'd prol have someone pretty good rite now

voucher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
alphahelix

A lot of players made a lot of progress under MacTavish. Most of them have not continued under Quinn.

WHEN did MacT ever have the luxury of starting a season with like 26 players? A bunch injured in camp waiting to return therefor we were allowed to retain a huge number, several NHL players stacked in the minors. In some seasons our PB forwards have been absolute scrubs. We have been able to cycle through like 10 players with NHL experience so far. Remember we have been waiving guys like MacIntyre in spite of all of these injuries. How decimated are we really? If we took 4 injuries 2 years ago we would have been in a lot worse shape than taking 8 this year. Think of the depth. Mac made NHL players out of nobodies several times because he had nothing else to work with. Those guys are all still in the league. Even guys like Winchester are still kicking around somehow.

The beginning of his tenure has to be considered a complete write off, because he was never asked to come in here and win anything. He was asked to keep the ship afloat and thats it. He really gets a bad wrap. He was a damn good coach. Certainly better than Quinn in some respects. And I'm equally certain that Quinn is better than MacT in some respects. We'll see how it all plays out. Our drafting has only VERY recently improved. For many years we had nothing but scrubs to choose from.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Wickedness*

re:

I'm willing to be that Khabby was acquired so that FA's would take this team more seriously, as not many would take Roloson as a serious #1 goalie.

The way Klowe handled smyths contract was in fact the most egotistical and stupid thing I have ever seen in hockey.

Losing Howsen to columbus was also stupid

Losing Hejda was retarded

all these stupid management desicions have put us where we are today.

what can we do now?

wait.

know that all of our up and coming talent are midgets.

we need to bulk up and make some space for these midgets.

Wickedness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Lord Quas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I still prefer the effort level this year.

Last night's game is a fair example, second night of a back-to-back and they still played very hard. Aside from that stretch where a bunch of guys had the flu, at least the team is watchable this season.

The injuries have piled on though. You can see how much Souray + Visnovsky add to the team playing at the same time.

Tambellini -- you're on the clock now.

I think O'Sullivan, Gilbert, Moreau, and obviously Nilsson need to go. Pisani is done as well for health issues.
These are the biggest changes I've seen. If they can leave it all out on the ice for most part, this team will be fun to watch and hopefully they'll start to win more too.

Though, I wouldn't be so quick to let go of O'Sullivan - He's a greasy player who, if he figures it out, could be a great player for a long time to come.

Lord Quas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Did you miss the last paragraph in my post. Read it again! Note the first part of that sentence and read it carefully!
Some of the problems did begin and end with coaching. Did you miss what I wrote. Read it again! Note the content of the sentences and read it carefully!

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Ok, so i meant 20 years, 1990 on. Hmmm, I wonder how many times we've made the playoffs since then?
Since 1990:

1991 - 3rd in Division (11th of 21 in League), Lost in 3rd Round
1992 - 3rd in Division (12th of 22 in League), Lost in 3rd Round
1993 - 5th in Division (20th of 24 in League), Missed playoffs
1994 - 6th in Division (23rd of 26 in League), Missed playoffs
1995 - 5th in Division (22nd of 26 in League), Missed playoffs
1996 - 5th in Division (21st of 26 in League), Missed playoffs
1997 - 3rd in Division (13th of 26 in League), Lost in 2nd Round
1998 - 3rd in Division (15th of 26 in League), Lost in 2nd Round
1999 - 8th in Conference (16th of 27 in League), Lost in 1st Round
2000 - 7th in Conference (14th of 28 in League), Lost in 1st Round
2001 - 6th in Conference (12th of 30 in League), Lost in 1st Round
2002 - 9th in Conference (15th of 30 in League), Missed playoffs
2003 - 8th in Conference (14th of 30 in League), Lost in 1st Round
2004 - 9th in Conference (17th of 30 in League), Missed playoffs
2005 - Lockout
2006 - 8th in Conference (14th of 30 in League), Lost in Finals
2007 - 12th in Conference (25th of 30 in League), Missed playoffs
2008 - 9th in Conference (19th of 30 in League), Missed playoffs
2009 - 11th in Conference (21st of 30 in League), Missed playoffs

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:51 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Hey for the last 3 years or more, there have been a lot of people here stating that KLowe was the problem not MacT. He has lost far more trades than he has won, he has signed way more bad contracts than good, and he has made more poor draft decisions than good.

If you call the original Pronger signing and Penner his two shinning moments, I say even a "Blind Squirrel" will find a nut now and then.
I dunno... to me these moves worked out pretty well too.

Jani Rita + Cory Cross --> Spacek

2 months of Reasoner --> 2 months of Samsonov

late 1st round pick --> 4 years of above avg goaltending from Roloson (despite ups, downs and a crappy supporting cast at times)

Bergeron --> Grebeshkov

A blind squirrel with a pretty good sense of smell?

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I dunno... to me these moves worked out pretty well too.

Jani Rita + Cory Cross --> Spacek

2 months of Reasoner --> 2 months of Samsonov

late 1st round pick --> 4 years of above avg goaltending from Roloson (despite ups, downs and a crappy supporting cast at times)

Bergeron --> Grebeshkov

A blind squirrel with a pretty good sense of smell?
Spacek was a good player but he was a rental. Samsonov is hard to get excited about (did we lose him for nothing as well?). MAB for anything is a win. Roloson was much needed and panned out really well for the Oil. The Pronger deal was excellent, gotta like Peca too. He has made good moves but there have been more bad ones to make up for the good. That is where we are now.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:04 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Some of the problems did begin and end with coaching. Did you miss what I wrote. Read it again! Note the content of the sentences and read it carefully!
The biggest problem was the management decisions made by this organization.

Mactavish was part of the problem but management shares a much bigger responsibility load.

It was time for a change but Mactavish was not the biggest part of the problem.

My point was quite simply that coaching was NOT the biggest problem with this team.

Nowhere it my post did I deny that SOME of the problems were not attributable to Mac-t?

So where do we disagree? Seems to me you are trying to find a point of contention but I don't think we even disagree.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 11-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old
11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
OntOilFan

You don't break habits developed over eight seasons of suck in 20 games.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
You don't break habits developed over eight seasons of suck in 20 games.
When you believe that the coach was the main reason for said suckage then maybe you do.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Kyle McMahon

The thread starter can't be watching the same games I am. Lets see, what were the main reasons the Oilers were losing games over the last 3 years:

a) poor effort/lack of motivation
b) no evidence of a game plan
c) team sleepwalking into games completely unprepared
d) team losing leads due to ultra-conservative approach to defending a lead
e) all of the above

In other words, things that are mainly the responsibility of the coach.

None of these things have been a problem this year. This team under Quinn is a huge breath of fresh air. How come you didn't start this thread when we were 6-2-2? It's only 20 games into the season. Let the boys get healthy, and they'll turn it around. The fact that we're staying competitive in almost every game with half our farm team in the lineup is encouraging actually. We're playing a scrub defenseman from the minors at center right now, that's how bad the injuries have been.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote