HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire John Stevens Thread (and related coaching discussion) - 09/10 Edition - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Fire John Stevens Thread (and related coaching discussion) - 09/10 Edition - Part II

Badger, badger, badger...

Old
10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
the main factor was getting back gonchar. every commentator in the league could tell you that. thats all tehy talked about
Eh, not all they talked about. The fact that the entire Pens team pretty much hated Therrien was also discussed (Note: this is not an issue here with Stevens). The Pens certainly had injury issues, but Gonchar was far from being the only reason for their massive turn around.

If you don't believe me, go chat with the Pens fans about their thoughts with regard to the coaching change.

BTW, for the first time in a few years the Pens aren't getting off to a sluggish start to the season...nothing to do with the coach?

Old
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Badger, badger, badger...
muuuuuushroom! muuuuushroom!

Old
10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
muuuuuushroom! muuuuushroom!
SNNNNNAAAAKKKEEE SNNNNAAAKKKEEEE

(wow)

Old
10-30-2009, 07:46 PM
medicman

nap time...and stop the liquior now!!!

Old
10-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, not all they talked about. The fact that the entire Pens team pretty much hated Therrien was also discussed (Note: this is not an issue here with Stevens). The Pens certainly had injury issues, but Gonchar was far from being the only reason for their massive turn around.

If you don't believe me, go chat with the Pens fans about their thoughts with regard to the coaching change.

BTW, for the first time in a few years the Pens aren't getting off to a sluggish start to the season...nothing to do with the coach?
What is their exact record under Bylsma? I know it's something ridiculous.

Even a team with 2 of the 3 best players in the world needs a good coach.

Old
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Giroux View Post
What is their exact record under Bylsma? I know it's something ridiculous.

Even a team with 2 of the 3 best players in the world needs a good coach.
Their record since Bylsma straight boggles my mind.

Old
10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Wow, part 2 already. That might be a record.

Old
10-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Their record since Bylsma straight boggles my mind.
45-13-4

16-8 in the playoffs.

Old
10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
45-13-4

16-8 in the playoffs.
nope coaching changes have never done a team any good whatsoever

Old
10-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Claude Giroux

I loathe the Penguins, but that is ****ing impressive. I think they won some kind of trophy between those numbers also...

Old
10-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
2000 playoffs anyone? lol

Old
10-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Flyers Fan Forever

Quote:
2000 playoffs anyone? lol
The Devils actually changed coaches just before the 2000 playoffs.

Old
10-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Claude Giroux

I know. It was 3, or 8 maybe(?), games before the playoffs.

Old
10-31-2009, 02:54 PM
agrudez*

bump, just because we got a very convincing win does not mean that this idiot gets to get off the hotseat!!!

Old
10-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Opus

After a performance like that, the main worry should be Holmgren singing him to an extension.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:55 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
After a performance like that, the main worry should be Holmgren singing him to an extension.
Well, I really saw this game and Monday's game as a very hot seat for Stevens. This is because Holmgren put himself on the hotseat through the Randy Jones debacle. Ed Snyder wants to win, and if the team continued to play poorly I think he would be trying to decide who was more at fault PH or JS and fire one. Thus, in a preemptive strike to try and save his own butt, I assumed that if we played bad in these next couple games PH would fire JS. Unfortunately, we won... but I don't want that to mean that he gets to keep his job now. FIRE STEVENS!!!

For the record, I don't think Holmgren should be fired, just maybe have someone do the cap numbers for him. I think he is a MASTER in negotiations for trades. He stole Carle, stole Coburn, stole Parent, stole Timonen and Hartnell's rights and even though he overpaid for Pronger, he still GOT Pronger.

Now, he has also shown that he is an idiot with the cap. Not knowing the rule for 35+ year players before signing Pronger is the epitome of idiocy. This Jones waiver fail, last years amateur contracts and Upshall fleecing... anyway.... I think I am getting off topic

Old
10-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
bump, just because we got a very convincing win does not mean that this idiot gets to get off the hotseat!!!
Well, yeah. Blowing out a 2nd to last place team on a 7 game losing streak against a back up AHL goalie doesn't exactly impress me, or hopefully anyone else for that matter.

Old
10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

a few of us would rather just revel in a good game and the upcoming phils game then to draw on negatives. nothing in this thread said will change anything. so lets go phils!

Old
10-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
Well, yeah. Blowing out a 2nd to last place team on a 7 game losing streak against a back up AHL goalie doesn't exactly impress me, or hopefully anyone else for that matter.
This man speaks the truth. Anyone who is impressed by this game is probably easy to impress to say the least.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Well, I really saw this game and Monday's game as a very hot seat for Stevens. This is because Holmgren put himself on the hotseat through the Randy Jones debacle. Ed Snyder wants to win, and if the team continued to play poorly I think he would be trying to decide who was more at fault PH or JS and fire one. Thus, in a preemptive strike to try and save his own butt, I assumed that if we played bad in these next couple games PH would fire JS. Unfortunately, we won... but I don't want that to mean that he gets to keep his job now. FIRE STEVENS!!!

For the record, I don't think Holmgren should be fired, just maybe have someone do the cap numbers for him. I think he is a MASTER in negotiations for trades. He stole Carle, stole Coburn, stole Parent, stole Timonen and Hartnell's rights and even though he overpaid for Pronger, he still GOT Pronger.

Now, he has also shown that he is an idiot with the cap. Not knowing the rule for 35+ year players before signing Pronger is the epitome of idiocy. This Jones waiver fail, last years amateur contracts and Upshall fleecing... anyway.... I think I am getting off topic
I'd love to think Paul Holmgren, or anyone in the Front Office who has been part of this Boy's Club for the past few years in the 'hot seat', but I doubt anything is going to happen to PH. My God, we haven't even got rid of our coach yet, and he shouldn't be coaching District 5 (Mighty Ducks reference anyone?) let alone at the NHL level.

Old
11-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Actually, the players just decided one day to all get better. That's JXC's explanation.

Old
11-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

More fuel for the fire...

From Puck Daddy....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,199237

Quote:
Whenever the coaching hot seat is mentioned in casual conversations with NHL insiders, Stevens's name comes up. The Flyers have had a middling start (11 points in 10 games), and having seen them a few times there's something a little off about them, especially up front.

But the reason Stevens is always mentioned, we think, is because the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers could easily become the 2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins: Chug along as an average, underwhelming team until the coach is replaced by one with a completely different personality and approach; and then kick a very talented roster into high gear for the postseason.

Michel Therrien and Dan Bylsma were divergent personalities. If Stevens were to be replaced, it would actually mirror the Penguins' move, with a yielding players' coach getting flipped for (one assumes) some sort of Mike Keenan type to whip these guys into shape.

So until the Flyers turn it around, Stevens is a legit name on this list.

Old
11-01-2009, 06:35 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

When the Flyers have three #1 picks and a #2 on their roster, I reckon we can compare them to the Pens.

Until then, as has been said here hundreds and hundreds of times: for every successful coaching change, there are dozens that have no effect whatsoever.

A good example is the replacement of Paddock in Ottawa in 2008. The same voices who spam these threads ad nauseum today were swooning in envy back then that Ottawa made a change. Then the Flyers got hot and Ottawa still sucked and the haters just kind of faded into oblivion.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Until then, as has been said here hundreds and hundreds of times: for every successful coaching change, there are dozens that have no effect whatsoever.
So, you are saying that we could get rid of Stevens and the worst outcome possible would merely be no effect but there'd be a chance for a great success?

Sign me up! Kick that moron to the curb.

Closed Thread