HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fedorov Interview (in Russian)

Old
11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
ESunlin

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Fedorov Interview (in Russian)

I'm studying Russian and doing a presentation on the history of hockey in Russia, and stumbled across this interview.

http://www.hoticemag.ru/special/18/

It's not relevant to my research, but I was interested in what Sergei had to say for himself back in Russia...

The title "Сергей Федоров: Брат решил — я погиб!" is basically Sergei Fedorov: My brother decided I was lost". He did say that if not for his brother, he would be done with hockey right now...

It goes on to talk about his defection and his first years in Detroit. I found it disturbing (but not surprising) that he felt that Russians were blamed for all the wrongs in the team, and when they won "When Detroit won - everybody wins, except us. Russians, of course, mentioned, but - a little, sometimes. But we know, it was all the same. We have been doing their job and were wildly happy when able to finally win this Cup." (Когда «Детройт» выигрывал – выигрывали все, кроме нас. Россиян, конечно, упоминали, но так – понемножку, иногда. Но нам, знаете, было уже все равно. Мы делали свое дело и были дико счастливы, когда сумели, наконец, выиграть этот Кубок.)

He then goes to say that he now understands that Scotty Bowman had "too many" top players, but that North American coaches don't understand that Russians play heart and soul every game.

Do you feel this was the case? Were the Russians unfairly blamed or is Sergei playing a victim?

It's a very interesting read if anyone else here reads Russian or can find a good translation. Good insight and a long interview...

ETA: There is an English version of the article, and it touches on some points, but its in a completely different order and leaves out a LOT of the more interesting points...

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESunlin View Post
I'm studying Russian and doing a presentation on the history of hockey in Russia, and stumbled across this interview.

http://www.hoticemag.ru/special/18/

It's not relevant to my research, but I was interested in what Sergei had to say for himself back in Russia...

The title "Сергей Федоров: Брат решил — я погиб!" is basically Sergei Fedorov: My brother decided I was lost". He did say that if not for his brother, he would be done with hockey right now...

It goes on to talk about his defection and his first years in Detroit. I found it disturbing (but not surprising) that he felt that Russians were blamed for all the wrongs in the team, and when they won "When Detroit won - everybody wins, except us. Russians, of course, mentioned, but - a little, sometimes. But we know, it was all the same. We have been doing their job and were wildly happy when able to finally win this Cup." (Когда «Детройт» выигрывал – выигрывали все, кроме нас. Россиян, конечно, упоминали, но так – понемножку, иногда. Но нам, знаете, было уже все равно. Мы делали свое дело и были дико счастливы, когда сумели, наконец, выиграть этот Кубок.)

He then goes to say that he now understands that Scotty Bowman had "too many" top players, but that North American coaches don't understand that Russians play heart and soul every game.

Do you feel this was the case? Were the Russians unfairly blamed or is Sergei playing a victim?

It's a very interesting read if anyone else here reads Russian or can find a good translation. Good insight and a long interview...
Cool, a translation service might work. thanks for the link

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
He made a ton of money (hopefully he gets some of it back) and was wildly successful in an environment extremely conducive to maximize his talent. The Wings gave him an opportunity maybe no one else could.

Without actually being able to read the article I cannot make a full judgement. But I don't necessarily believe that Scotty Bowman didn't fully understand him or Russians in general.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 12:25 PM
DarkReign

Google translator

Quote:
Sergei Fedorov: "My brother decided - I am lost!"

Reviewer "Hot Ice" spent the day in Magnitogorsk in the company of brothers Fedorovykh
At the main station Magnitogorsk sold souvenir magnets with the image of the city. I collect these and bought a magnet with a snapshot of metallurgical plant, which knocks out one tube of bright red fumes. This smoke, they say, you see very often. That Saturday, when the brothers Fedorova after the interview they put us in a dark blue Mercedes and drove the younger city, smoked only one pipe. The smoke was thick and white.

"If the pipe smoke, it means that the city is alive and all is well" - Fedor said philosophically. The team on the eve of departure for a fee in Switzerland gave off, but we went to the palace. In such a nonsense, as the day of the August holidays, the brothers Fedorova did not need. "At my age, two weekends in a row - unaffordable luxury, - explained Sergey. - Tomorrow because of the flight, too, will fall. If this does not work, the next day on the ice is very hard to have.

In an empty locker room the brothers have set up large TV to the channel "Discovery" and saddled the bikes. "For 13 years," Detroit "I am probably the length of the equator at these pieces CRACK - Sergei smiled. - Can you count: nine months of the year, seven days a week for 45 minutes. I counted: get 63 000 km, just over half equator. Others who wish to sweat in Saturday's bike was found. Only Yevgeny Varlamov looked for a few minutes - to collect trunk to save yourself an extra hour of sleep Sunday morning.

But it was later. Began the day with a leisurely breakfast joint in a cozy restaurant "Baden-Baden". There Sergei Fedorov at the insistence of his brother overcame a four-egg omelet (healthy eating advice from Fedor Fedorov: body as an athlete learns to six eggs per day), and then answered questions of the browser "Hot Ice

<break>

NINE And Black Cloud

- Arrival in Magnitogorsk, you said that if you were not there "five hundred" "Mercedes", presented to the President of Russia, it would ride around in "nines". Joking?

- No kidding. The club offered to provide us with Fedor car. I have no idea what brand it was - maybe about Russia.

- It's unlikely. But if it gave "nine", would ride on it?

- Circle around the palace, perhaps, would have given.

- It would be ridiculous.

- Why is it funny? I am on the "Nine" Like this year in 1988 from Moscow to Pskov traveled. Good machine. Why is not the train?

- Because today on a good foreign car rides, even a player of the fourth level "Vityaz".

- A mass of people who read this interview, are not able to even "nine" to buy - go on foot. Not the best topic for jokes.

- Here is no boy theme: one fine morning you go in Magnitogorsk in the training and you will see over the metallurgical combine enormous black cloud.

- And what then?

- That I would like to find out. Not scared?

- No. I like everything. People here live, work, doing their job - that and I will. Moreover, as I understand it, the combine is not so close to that part of town where we live and play.

- On the other side of the Ural River.

- Well, I'll say this: I do not mind if the wind is always blowing in the opposite direction.

CONTINUUM SYMBOLISM

- You do not biography, but one huge symbolism. Examples yourself remember or tell?

- Begin.

- Remember, what was the number when you score your 1,000 th point in the NHL?

- I do not remember.

- February 14, Valentine's Day. Some would say that is symbolic: the love has fallen victim to a great career.

- As for love, I somehow did not notice. But the match remembered. They played in Vancouver, I scored two points. This is the "Anaheim" was. I did not know, incidentally, that is so close to the line. Hard season is not to personal statistics was. But that evening, when the first point scored, the guys began to cheer: "Let's have one, setting a record!" I was surprised: "What record?" - "Do you now 999 points in the NHL." I remember, was delighted. "Let's - tell - Dial". It was nice because we are a match and then won. A 1001-th point, I scored Russia's transfer of the player. Happy - so I think his last name.

- Let's go further. On the way to Magnitogorsk, you totally accidentally on the same flight with Evgeni Malkin - the most famous fugitive current generation. Is not symbolic?

- In my opinion, it's all organized Beard (photographer Vladimir KHL toothless. - Comm. PS).

- Especially for you from Spain Malkin matched together?

- Probably, ha, ha. I, along with business-class passengers to the aircraft was brought up on a minibus. I sit, listening to music, and then flung open the door from the street and shove Beard begins to yell: "Fedorov here? Come on out, the photo will do! "I do not know where I hide until it learned that the ladder Malkin waiting. Pleasant meeting.

- Here's another story. Many years ago, the best NHL club owner Mike Ilic for your flight to Portland sent a messenger and his personal plane. 20 years later for your return something like make a better owner of the club of Russia Viktor Rashnikov, who arrived in Columbus.

- I hear your voice in joyous notes, but still objected. Rashnikov came to Ohio is not for me, but for work. Simply Columbus mayor suggested that he go to the palace, where trained Blue Dzhekets ", and I was with Nicky Zherdev passed on. It was interesting to meet and exchange a few words with a man from Russia, which is so successful ( «successful." - Comm. PS).

THREE WEEKS INTERROGATION

- You watched the movie "Moscow on the Hudson"?

- Of course, even in the Soviet Union. There great Savely Kramarov played. Film in the early 80's came out in 1986 I moved to CSKA Moscow, and in 1987 and 1988, we Sashka Mogilny this movie again, probably fifteen visitors. We were long based in Arkhangelsk sat. All the houses dissolved, and we had nothing to do.

- The fact that after a couple of years has happened to you, is not an exact copy of the footage?

- Not thought about it. In the film, it seems, someone from the circus performers escape?

- Yes. Soviet circus come on tour in New York, and the clown was going to run. But at the last moment of fright, and instead of a clown escaped his friend the saxophonist, who before the tour and there was no such thoughts.

- What are some similarities there, but generally speaking, if you look at the details and trifles, my story does not look like more than anyone's. The character Robin Williams escaped without any outside help. Just took the man and stayed. I ran away, knowing that I someone can help. Big difference.

- They say in the team-1990 was a hockey player, who was going to run away before you. Dmitri Khristich.

- I think it was a rumor that dissolved my future employers to pick me up early. To me, they said the same thing, and I thought: "What is the difference, up to the tournament run or after?"

- And if Khristich really going to escape and managed to slip away before you?

- I think that my problems would not exist.

- Without touching a player on each machine gunners?

- What is there ... With us, of course, traveled KGB officer, but how you detain 20 people in rooms of Soviet youth?

- Khristich eventually became the youngest in the history of Soviet hockey player, who at the end of 1990 was allowed to leave legally. If he ultimately was not found in the NHL, would have felt to him the blame for your own escape?

- No. In 1990, the border opened, and then everything went, where people wanted. One could go on vacation to some Turkey or Spain - and then calmly in America.

- You are 20 years had not told the details of that day. Is not it time?

- Before the Games of goodwill in Seattle, we played a friendly match with the Americans in Portland. After the game, drove to the hotel. I was the last person out of the bus. In the lobby went to his teammate, with whom he lived in the room, and said: "I went to Detroit. Sorry, if there are any problems. "

- Who was it, you say?

- I do not want to. This was written in America, but do not want to stir up the names. I tried to do everything possible so that he had no problems.

- When escaped Mogilny, have you had problems?

- Of course. Three weeks in a row to an army interrogator in questioning went. Two hours he sat.

- And ...?

- And what I then knew? I was 19 years old. "Guys, - I say - do not tell you. I slept. And the whole conversation.

HOW COULD LIVE ON THE BASIS?

- Why then was to prevent a partner in Portland?

- A man already in the age was, what he had jitters? Omit this subject, can I?

- Well, move on. The team sits down to dinner - you do not. And ...?

- I do not know. I have sat in the airplane, when they dined.

- Have not encountered in the elevator with the very KGB officer who sent you look for?

- No. Just moved to another car which was waiting at the hotel, and drove to the airport. But that's another goodbye - and all. He, of course, офигел little.

- Decided that you would play?

- Definitely. In my opinion, simply did not understand at first. Had to repeat several times. On the fifth time has come. I say: "Look, over there sits a man with a newspaper, I go up to him now, and we leave to the airport." We said goodbye, my friend went to the elevator, and I went to the man - his name was Jim Lights - and said: «Let's go!» My first words in English. After 10 minutes, were already at the airport, and within half an hour - in the air. I flew to another country, another world.

- And your things?

- Things were already waiting in the car. The history of how they were there, we omit, ha, ha. (According to the almanac club Detroit Red Wings, that morning Fedorov collected things and put them to bed, but the key to your room shoved under the door of the room, where he stayed Lights. - Comm. PS)

- Do not try to Detroit to learn that in connection with your escape is happening in Russia?

- Only only insofar as. Worry became my new bosses: "What do we respond, what to say?" - "What you want, then say - he said to them. - I like it here, I'm staying. " And what I then knew, in 20 years? I am terribly tired of being two-time world champion and Europe, four-time champion of the Soviet Union - and four years to live on the base. Here and dare.

- Do not be afraid that their parents and have little Fyodor at home to start the problem?

- I was afraid. But he could not do anything because they do not represent that they have to, and decided on their plans not to tell anyone. Parents knew nothing.

- Turns out to have your flight was just as shocked as for any fan of the time?

- We must think. They know everything about 9 pm from the sports news program "Vremya".

- Fedor, do you remember that the program "Time"?

Fedor Fedorov: - I remember, of course. Mum cried, Dad laughed, but I do not know what to do. It seemed to me that my brother died.

- Well, what do you want? The Soviet Union, the Iron Curtain, the country was virtually mothballed inside. There are stories of ordinary people associated with something very negative: betrayal, desertion ... Although I had already anticipated that with the advent of Gorbachev, this pressure will weaken. What people who want to emigrate, or simply go abroad to rest, get that opportunity.

Five Rubles to Arkhangelsk

- How long after the escape had not seen his family?

- Enough. A couple of years, I think.

- Brother and do not know, perhaps?

- Fyodor grew up, that's for sure. So many years have passed, that I do that day and not remember. Have there at the airport, for example? But remember, that was very nice to drive in his new home, where all have enough space. Who was so unlike the two-room apartment in Apatity, where it was impossible to sneeze, that all is not heard.

Fedor Fedorov: - For the first time when my mother and I flew to you, you're still in the apartments (in a rented apartment. - Comm. PS) lived. A year later with his father - already in the house.

- Exactly. But the feeling, I remember, it was great. I had already 11 years one has lived. Dad with Fyodor gathered to leave, but my mother, I said: "Stay, I already have enough here to stick to one. She stayed, I legalized it, made her a green card, and a year later my father returned with his brother.

- It is true that in late 1989 and Mogilny from America called you on the base in Arkhangelsk with the words: "Well, what are you still sitting there?"

- Not true. Sasha own problems. He later told me how much homesick for his family. I ran 14 months after it, but I have this period as something more easily passed. Probably due to the fact that I am 13 years old lived alone, to much time to get used to. My father visited me in Moscow a couple of times a year, and in summer I went to her parents in Apatity.

- But you pressed after stories from the grave, perhaps, be healthy. It's true that an officer's rank, and a car and an apartment Moscow suggested that only you ran?

- If! While the Army term has not expired, and no one suggested it. End time just for the summer of 1989 they came. Then, when you begin a new season, offered to subscribe to a package of sub-lieutenant. I asked around at the senior fellow for CSKA, who have been officers, specifically what it means. One said one thing and another - the other, the third - the third. Clear picture could not be established. I knew that I wanted to play in this team, a team, but did not know how it all works. If I signed a package, then the team would play consistently, as Viktor knew exactly would that be one hundred percent on me.

- Is not it funny 20 years later to remember what this nonsense you are trying to hold?

- Not funny. Terribly. I asked the apartment - not given. Machine requested - also not allowed.

- And what to give?

- And do not give. So I had to run away.

- That is, if the apartment still given, this would be enough to keep you from escaping in the NHL?

- I think so. Even if though the car provided - also probably would have stayed.

- "Nine" ...

- Why, then, many players "Volga" were. But I was told: "Volga" you can not, because we have more senior comrades ". - "So they all already have a car! - Speak. - I did not ask for myself, I have parents in the Murmansk region want to send it. Nobody knows. " And I again: "Nizzam!"

- You are in those years, it turns out, the subway in Moscow skated?

- The matches - with the team on the bus. The weekend - in a taxi. From Leningrad Prospekt, 39, to the base "Arkhangelsk" - five rubles. Crazy money for those days!

- After his escape, the official Soviet press denounced you to be healthy! To me still a mystery, like the Federation then had the impudence to ask you to play for the national team at the Canada Cup-1991.

- I too was surprised to be honest. But he came Tikhonov, and called ...

<break>

WINS ALL EXCEPT RUSSIAN

- Vyacheslav Kozlov told me that when he received the "Detroit" check with my first salary, he did not know what to do with that piece of paper - either in a locker to put, or to the store with her to go. He said that if it were not for you - not sdyuzhil be there. You are something like the first time a Russian cope without assistance?

- Yes normal inquiries. Employee of the club immediately suggested the bank's name and telephone number of vice-president. This man helped me to open the account, everything. Just realized that the salary should be there, at interest. At first, naturally, afraid of - ten times double-checking that the money is where you want. Then I realized that such a system there that missed its target money just can not fly. In addition, the club hired a translator for me. After a day of English language home, of course, came with a square head. But seven months later began a more or less free to talk.

- You are then told that during these seven months, learned Russian translator is better than you - English.

- Oh, this is one hundred percent. He was a Yugoslav, so we are with him in Russian to communicate more than in English. Actually, with the hockey there were no problems with the first days. See how others are doing some exercise, make it twice as well - and everyone is happy.

- And the first interview in English, when we gave?

- After a year, probably. I was afraid to give interviews. Then, in the atmosphere of the Cold War, in Detroit, had a pair of journalists who began to write negatively about me from the first days. They accused me, even in the washer, which we passed while I sat on the bench. So the custom. The 13 years that I played in Detroit, in the key lesions are always blamed Russian. Especially in the playoffs.

- And when they took the Stanley Cup?

- When Detroit won - everybody wins, except us. Russians, of course, mentioned, but - a little, sometimes. But we know, it was all the same. We have been doing their job and were wildly happy when able to finally win this Cup.

TO WHOM?

- Many immigrants who come to America after 40, fall into depression. Everything is strange, do not understand the language, no friends. Is this your first time, never caught myself thinking: "Lord, what am I doing here, why come?"

- No. I was young, I was interested in everything new. Ice hockey in general, pleased, strength in bulk, it was a pleasure to play, the arena is constantly crowded, attention from fans great. Already in 1990, the team was equipped with cool players, even if we started to gain momentum only in 1992.

- Do not hurt now, that for all 13 years in Detroit, during the most flourishing career, to play to the maximum you are given only in one season?

- After this season, which failed me in 1994, in personal terms, of course, was hurt. On the other hand, this time I did not understand, but now I understand: in the hands of Scotty Bowman had too many "hot potatoes", which had to juggle so that your team played in the result. But in those years, North American coaches, in my opinion, not yet realized that the Russian every match played from the heart, and not just. We're just years and listened to the accusations: "The Russian did not know what the playoffs, do not feel that is the Stanley Cup ..." Now something has a lot to prove, that it is not so. Look at Zhenya Malkin! If we then gave the same turn, as in his "Pittsburgh" - it would be a nuclear revolution in hockey. True, then the outflow of Russian guys in the NHL would become even stronger. So were in the underestimation of the pluses and minuses.

- So after all: to insult you in Bowman or not?

- (After a pause.) There is no point to keep in his offense for so many years. Only a worse case. But then there really was not clear.

- Even after his remarks that Fedorov has everything but the big heart?

- I do not think that it is generally spoken. I think it is Russia's journalists came up with.

- This quotation flashed and North American sources.

- Then, apparently, the season-1994 it in no way convinced. It is unclear just why he was in that year gave me so much to play.

- Maybe it was said that you whip up?

- If he really said this, it is only for the sake of it. Then of course, I would not understand, but now I understand. But he tried to say a phrase about a Canadian or American - I think it would simply be fired from the club. And about the Russian can. We have some who take you?

- We went to him to find out the relationship?

- No. I do not like to go to coaches. Why? If the coach does not understand that you really can do the result, then there is no sense themselves before him PR. Because the coach - he was, and that he released the five on the ice, but not you.

Two periods "RUSSIAN Five"

- Do you think if Bowman has ceased to arrange a game Chelios and Yzerman, about whom he would not say this?

- Never. I am for all 13 years, never knew and who had me in supporting this team. I just went out and played, showing every night that I go to one of the best and can help the team. But if only you knew how many people are undercurrents in communication with the players' coach, with the managers! Nowhere on it does not go. As in any team, I think.

- But the audience something you have always been in pets.

- And the audience? The public policy of the club is not affected. Yes, people in Detroit have always dealt with in hockey and have always seen, who was worth something. More I have nothing to add to this.

- Can I sezon-1996/1997 of the full "Russian Five" considered the best hockey in your life?

- I think so. I had already matured, and play with those guys was a great pleasure. I think we could have achieved more if not envy.

- Whom to whom?

- Yes, in our own team! We played great, but we always keep in the back of the hockey shorts, were not allowed to fire. Then our top five all broke. And then we won the Stanley Cup.

- If you were on the same team playing the coach, how much time would be spent on the ice "Russian Five"?

- I think we just did would result in the first two periods, while the third could not play.

- Kozlov, of course, a rare humble, but he still maintains that in the top five was the rest of caught and tried, as he says, "not get underfoot" the great Larionov with Fedorov.

- Glory, of course, is modest to the ugliness and its role greatly diminishes. He is in the top five was the same key figure as any of us. His contribution to our success is huge. First, it has always been highly technical player with excellent field vision. Secondly, Slava - Russian. Put there instead of any other player - it would no longer "Russian Five."

- By the way, why? Would play, say, with you instead of Kozlov any DROP Canadian - what is worse?

- Uniqueness of the five was that it played by people of different generations of Soviet hockey school. When we were on the ice, the challenger just could not get out of the zone, because the puck all the time we had. And the people in Detroit, finally saw that ice hockey, which was propagated in the Soviet Union 20 years. That hockey, which could play only the strongest in the world. Following Tikhonov put a hockey could not and still can not nobody.

- And in my opinion, your goal "Washington" troika with Ovechkin and Semin to the gate of the Finns in Quebec World Cup semi-finals - both times in this series. Crazy combination of great speed in the best Soviet-style.

- You know, I now have to revise Super Series-72. See how the team began to play the Soviet Union, after the boys calmed down my nerves! Torn me apart Canada - 7:3. See what they held in the carousel area of the opponent, and in the middle zone! Now a hockey can not play no one - there is no skill, there is no such understanding. A goal the Finns, of whom you may remember - only a fragment of a bygone luxury. I remember it too. It was all in one touch, at the end of Sasha Semin made a great lumbago, and all that was required of me - do not screw up the final shot. While in the palace, in my opinion, instead of ice, sand paper roll.

- One of the Goalkeeper of the Quebec team, Mikhail Biryukov told how after the second period when the final analysis, 2:4 you have come to the locker room and said: "What are you sour? Canadians are half dead already, we'll break them now! "- And how everyone looked at you like crazy.

- Ha! In fact, I just said: "Guys, the main thing - is to have a warm heart and a cool head. We're playing very well, we must continue the same way, only a little more focused on the gate - and everything will be fine. " Yes, when the score was 2:4 is probably sounded weird. But why make a drama out of the account, if the game we really look stronger? Incidentally, in the locker room when I'm not one spoke. There before me, and after my kids were expressed. His mission, I saw only that little bit of calm and concentrate on the game already, and so was under our dictation. Puck has been with us, Canadians for our combinations had no time.

- What, in your opinion, supports the prestige of Russia's hockey is more: the game of our stars in the NHL or the occasional successes at the world championships and the Olympics?

- I think that first of all the prestige of being supported by those guys that in the clubs in the NHL's leading roles. In Canada, with coverage of international hockey a little better, but in America the world championships are not covered at all. Olympics - is also quite weak. But when Malkin takes the Stanley Cup, and Ovechkin gives crazy season and collects all the individual prizes - the credibility of our hockey team added a lot.

Red rag FOR BURKE

- When you first time in my life traded - from the "Anaheim" in "Columbus" - you said without any emotion packed their bags and went to Ohio. It seems unlikely.

- Why?

- Because of the team, claimed the Stanley Cup, from the beautiful sun of the region with palm trees and ocean you were exiled to the club-outsider and workers and peasants Tmutarakan.

- So what? I that these warmer places not previously seen? Every week across the continent flying. And in California, among other things, wild jams. On the road from morning to evening so overcrowded that simply no time to enjoy the ocean. I lived 19 miles from the rink, but getting to him for two hours.

- Nevertheless, you had to go to a team that has never in its history did not go in the playoffs. You even this does not upset?

- Again, so what? If one team you do not want to, and in another you'll be in demand, what's wrong? Play should be where you need it. Moreover, the then general manager of Anaheim "Brian Burke, who is with Fyodor in" Vancouver "was working, had to have a tooth is not clear why. We were to him like a red rag to a bull. I understand that I changed it with great pleasure, ha, ha.

Fedor Fedorov: - I have to Sergei two days before that said: "Get ready, you will exchange exactly Bourke.

- Yes, it was understandable. I even his agent said: "Go to Bourque and determines when it will change me." He has excuses: "No, no, no, no, we need it!" And I just got injured, inguinal ring broke. Just back on the ice - after the third match, he traded me.

- Fyodor, and you know where that Sergei exchanged?

Fedor Fedorov: - I have this friend is in "Vancouver" is very well remembered. As he watched it with me! Even when I was no longer his team, talking about me as if I were a player with the most wild kook in the world ... By the way, since you gave me a word, can someone I thank?

- Thanks, of course.
Fedor Fedorov: - Please write that I am very grateful to Vladimir Krikunova and the entire leadership Neftekhimik "because last year they gave me a chance, believe in me, and quietly released in the offseason" Magnitogorsk ". Just before my career so many times betrayed

and substitutes that such an attitude a coach, I now appreciate very much.

- Yes, yes, write it! We both Nizhnekamsk very thankful for it. If Fyodor not allowed in "Magnitogorsk", then I let alone here would not have come. And in general, likely to be finished with hockey.
Man, thats a long article.

I inserted the <break> signs as it was where the pictures were and I realize the sentence didnt always complete.

Last edited by DarkReign: 11-18-2009 at 12:39 PM.
DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Ozolinsh_27

Thanks for sharing, it was a nice read

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:30 AM
BlueMonk

The Free Press has an article on this: http://www.freep.com/article/2009111...s-were-jealous

I take everything I read in the Russian press with a grain of salt.

BlueMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonk View Post
The Free Press has an article on this: http://www.freep.com/article/2009111...s-were-jealous

I take everything I read in the Russian press with a grain of salt.

Agreed. So many of the questions are leading, or the reporter just saying something controversial and hoping the player gets tongue-tied.

This bit the Freep picks up isn't really even coherent. It sounds like the R5 were jealous of each other, then it was the rest of the team....

I honestly don't care though. Feds is my all-time favorite Wing based on what he accomplished on the ice. The rest of it is immaterial. He was a joy to watch as a player and it was a blast while it lasted.

Old
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
detredWINgs

I can't wait for Zetterberg's article to come out 15 years from now that says "everyone was just jealous of the Eurotwins. That why Babcock separated us."

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:02 PM
RabbinsDuck

A response to Steve Kariya -- written while the thread on the main forum was closed --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kariya View Post
People currently argue that Zetterberg is the better player than Datsyuk because he "Brings it all" in the playoffs. Which can also be said for Fedorov. He may have floated during the regular season but he was a playoff beast. Why does Zetterberg get a pass? Because he signed a bad contract when he came into the league?
First of all - Zetterberg possibly getting a "pass" for anything has nothing to do with what we are discussing now. Don't twist it.

I am all for Fedorov's jersey being retired, but not for a long time... because there is no denying the guy's a bit of a beotch.

Anyways, the Zetterberg comparison is beyond asinine -- point me to any articles, blogs, posts, urinal wall scribblings that state Zetterberg is a "floater" during the regular season. You've already admitted Fedorov was, so I am saved the same (though much easier) burden.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Fedorov does have somewhat of a point about how he would get criticized in a way ("floater", "no heart") that would never have dared been uttered against Yzerman and Shanahan because in the hockey establishment it's verboten to talk that way about those sorts of players (for instance, Shanahan floated as much in his last few seasons with the Red Wings as anyone, but because he's a tough gritty Canadian powerforward no coach, player, or media person would dare call him out on it).

I also think that the whole "Fedorov floated through the regular season" thing is way overblown. It's not like Fedorov was constantly giving away pucks in the neutral zone or getting caught up-ice while the puck was going into his team's net. Instead I think he was just a player who recognized exactly how much he needed to give during the regular season so that his team would win (at least, win enough to consistently finish in the top 8), gave exactly that much effort, and then turned on the diesel during the playoffs when it mattered.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
A response to Steve Kariya -- written while the thread on the main forum was closed --

First of all - Zetterberg possibly getting a "pass" for anything has nothing to do with what we are discussing now. Don't twist it.

I am all for Fedorov's jersey being retired, but not for a long time... because there is no denying the guy's a bit of a *****.

Anyways, the Zetterberg comparison is beyond asinine -- point me to any articles, blogs, posts, urinal wall scribblings that state Zetterberg is a "floater" during the regular season. You've already admitted Fedorov was, so I am saved the same (though much easier) burden.

RD, he's a poster that keeps coming back under new names just to get a rise out of Wings fans. Of course all the comments will be inflammatory.

Old
11-20-2009, 12:07 AM
RabbinsDuck

Dangit! And I actually scolded myself for responding to someone who was most like trolling.... it just sucks to type up a post and find the thread to be closed (to think, my thoughts could have possibly been lost there ). Thanks for the heads up!

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It was obvious he was trolling Wings fans from the point where he made a post claiming Pronger has had a better career than Lidstrom.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:42 AM
doublejack

This just reaffirms my opinion of Sergei. Great player when he wanted to be, but a huge prima donna.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Nordic*

Was that an auto-translation? It made my head hurt....

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:38 AM
octopi

Igor larionov apparantly loved playing for Scotty Bowman.

Sergei always seemed to come off as feeling misunderstood, and yes, there was a lot of stigma about the players from Russia that was unfair, however, the Wings were the team that absolutly buried that.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Scotty responds:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009...bout_form.html

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

I hope sergei reads that.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 06:49 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Was that an auto-translation? It made my head hurt....
Yup, passed through Google translator.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote