HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

everyone needs to chill..... things are not that bad

Old
11-18-2009, 04:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
A few notes in response:

At the moment, this team is rancid. That could change tomorrow but today that's a fact.

You have posted that Dubinsky is the offensive equal of Betts and ripped him on many occasions but now you're telling us that missing him is crucial. Which is it?

You left one major thing out of your analysis: Without Gaborik, this team is perhaps the worst Rangers squad in years. For all of you Sather and Tortorella supporters, how can that be?

I hate Sather but have nothing against Torts, but so far he is a bust. Granted, the resume is too short to pay that much attention. Yet. By the end of this season it will be fair to judge him.

Before the season I posted here that I think the Islanders talent is getting close to the level of talent on the Rangers and was ridiculed for my opinion. It's not quite so ridiculous an opinion any more and their talent is all young and they are doing this with utterly inferior goaltending personnel.

And that magician Lamoriello keeps his squad humming even though they always look like they are out of gas every season. If only there was a way to trade Sather for Lamoriello.
answer:

hes not crucial but he does play an important role on our 3rd line with his energy and speed.

dubinsky is a key part of this team as a 3rd line centerman, perhaps a 2c. hes not a 1c. although i will admit prospal and gaby had the best success playing with him early in the year. since that hot start, dubi has looked........um..... pedestrian. god i hate that word. anyway.... since you asked, i still believe hes way way overrated on this board and given that, cant help but underachieve.

im still seething at the missed chance to have moved him for something of value during his holdout since we ended up with a player almost identical to him in chris higgins anyway. who by the way, may turn out to be a better 3c than brandon is.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Summarizes this Rangers team. Until they change that, this is what we'll see. This team almost makes Malik look tough.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
How can you be so irrate but still watch every game!? Thats self torture, no?
I say it every night in Gamecenter chat. If you are a Ranger fan you must be a sadist.

All we can hope for at this point is that this season will ride out, and there will be some pleasant surprises in the young talent. Then next year they will be in a better position to make better decisions and work towards a team that can win more than one cup.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Nick00

I'm all for positivity but this is just wishful thinking on the OP's part.
The Rangers currently have...

1. No first line center.
2. No consistent offense threat on the roster other than Gaborik.
3. No hard hitting, reliable defensive defenseman.
4. No focus or identity, this team has zero character.
5. No real leadership, our veterans are usually the ones performing the most poorly. Every time that Drury, Roszival, or Redden speaks with the media they project cluelessness at best and despondency at worst.
and most importantly...
6. No cap room to make the personnel changes necessary.

Too many "No's" are holding this team back right now for me to be positive at all.
Once Sather is able to unload a couple of those dreadful contracts then we can talk about optimism.
For now though, I'll just have to root for the jersey and deal with this roller coaster of mediocrity.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 06:15 PM
darko

Before the season started I said that at best we are #6 seed in East. Didnt expect Tampa Bay and Buffalo to be as good as they've been so we are in a bit of trouble and can see us missing playoffs. I'd like to see us make it off course but it's no biggie if we dont. Instead I'll focus on positives. We have 1 of the best players in NHL in Gaborik and also 1 of the best goaltenders as well who is just entering his prime. We also have solid bunch of guys like Callahan, Dubinsky and Prospal and a defence built around a 19 year old and 22 year old. Oh yeah and our minor league level is loaded (top-5 in the league). People need to chill out, it's not looking good right now but it can only get better from here onwards (especially if we can dump 1 of Rozy, Drury, Redden in the offseason).

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
tdawg56

Sather is the cause of this mess and he has nobody to answer to. This is the biggest problem for this team and we will never ever be good until he is held accountable and fired.

Tell me what he has down with our team since he got here? Nothing close to a contender once. The team is always capped out and is mediocre.

Its time for the fans to calll him out. Sorry but this is the truth this isnt the 1980's anymore and he is a bad GM.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
answer:

hes not crucial but he does play an important role on our 3rd line with his energy and speed.

dubinsky is a key part of this team as a 3rd line centerman, perhaps a 2c. hes not a 1c. although i will admit prospal and gaby had the best success playing with him early in the year. since that hot start, dubi has looked........um..... pedestrian. god i hate that word. anyway.... since you asked, i still believe hes way way overrated on this board and given that, cant help but underachieve.

im still seething at the missed chance to have moved him for something of value during his holdout since we ended up with a player almost identical to him in chris higgins anyway. who by the way, may turn out to be a better 3c than brandon is.
On THIS team Dubinsky is the number 1 center and not having in the lineup IS crucial.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
On THIS team Dubinsky is the number 1 center and not having in the lineup IS crucial.
if you are right and he is our 1c, we are worse off than i thought

face the music already, dubi is never going to be a 1c on any team.

right now today, hes the perfect 3rd line centerman. nothing more.

his ceiling is a 2c. at best.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if you are right and he is our 1c, we are worse off than i thought

face the music already, dubi is never going to be a 1c on any team.

right now today, hes the perfect 3rd line centerman. nothing more.

his ceiling is a 2c. at best.
Then who is the number 1 C on our team? Higgins and Prospal are not natural centers. Anisimov and Drury are not as good as him. Like it or not Dubinsky is the number 1 center on the team.

Old
11-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Then who is the number 1 C on our team? Higgins and Prospal are not natural centers. Anisimov and Drury are not as good as him. Like it or not Dubinsky is the number 1 center on the team.
Lmao, well considering Anisimov is what 22 games into his rookie season I'd have to say give it some time.

Dubinsky is injured so I won't rag on him too bad but everyone who said he would net 60+ points just by centering Gaborik were and still are wrong.

This team lacks a number 1 center, I can see Anisimov earning the #2 spot over Dubinsky in the future. He's a better player he just doesn't have the "edge" everyone around here falls in love with.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

10 games does not a season make.

we will be fine.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Lmao, well considering Anisimov is what 22 games into his rookie season I'd have to say give it some time.

Dubinsky is injured so I won't rag on him too bad but everyone who said he would net 60+ points just by centering Gaborik were and still are wrong.

This team lacks a number 1 center, I can see Anisimov earning the #2 spot over Dubinsky in the future. He's a better player he just doesn't have the "edge" everyone around here falls in love with.
You guys are missing my point. Right now Dubinsky is the best center we have, so not having him hurts us. He is better than Anisimov at the moment...maybe not in the future, but right now he is. Eventually we have to find someone to fill the number 1 center position.

Old
11-19-2009, 12:38 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
10 games does not a season make.

we will be fine.
Very wise...and true.

I feel like so many posts recently don't take into account that every single team has problems. You can list 5 problems for this team and every other team in the league. Part of what makes this league great to me is that the cap keeps everyone hungry all the time. Every team is always looking to fill a gap and how they work around those gaps and overcome them is what defines a championship team. That being said, the Rangers are almost certainly not going to win the cup this year, but that doesn't mean that the season is a waste. This team has great young talent and a few very, very good players in their prime.

Everyone has pointed out that this team hasn't gelled yet, how they don't look comfortable with one another yet. Frankly, thats the biggest positive of the season in my eyes. This team is nowhere near as good as it could be and likely will be. They won't get better when they spend a billion more dollars and get kovalchuk and make roszival disappear, but when they simply get more comfortable with each other. There was HUGE turnover this offseason and as a result, it's taking a while for everyone to gel. When they do, we will see a real show. Until then, let's try to watch this process occur and not flip out or declare the season over.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:39 AM
levski87

Quote:
Anisimov will surpass Dubinsky. Just wait and see my man.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Callahan didn't spend the entire season with Gomez...let's not pretend, here.

Why do we keep making excuses for these guys. They're not playing well. They look lost on offense. They constantly lose battles for the pucks. They never know where their linemates are, they themselves are out of position. They're just plain playing poorly on offense. But no, can't criticize these guys...

I'm not saying they have to do everything and singlehandidly provide all of the secondary scoring, but "Mr. Consistent" Ryan Callahan is on pace for a whopping 27 points this year.

They need to step up and do SOMETHING. Because all they're doing right now is blocking some shots and providing rest for Gaborik until he can get back on the ice and try to score.
He spent most of the year with Gomez though. He misses having a playmaker like Gomez on his line. There is no doubt in my mind.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 01:44 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
He spent most of the year with Gomez though. He misses having a playmaker like Gomez on his line. There is no doubt in my mind.
Or, he misses getting some dirty goals. Last year he was effective because he drove the net hard. Now, hes actively forechecking but not driving the net. Like I said, the 2nd and 3rd lines need to skate the puck in and let the D-men fire on goal and go from there.

The dump and chase for those lines doesn't work that well because once they get the puck, they don't have any playmakers to make something happen.

Old
11-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Tumsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Or, he misses getting some dirty goals. Last year he was effective because he drove the net hard. Now, hes actively forechecking but not driving the net. Like I said, the 2nd and 3rd lines need to skate the puck in and let the D-men fire on goal and go from there.

The dump and chase for those lines doesn't work that well because once they get the puck, they don't have any playmakers to make something happen.
I think this is one of the main issues. This team doesn't really need another high profile scorer (e.g. Kovalchuk). I'm not even sure if it needs a bunch of "2nd liners", whatever that is these days. I think what they really need (apart from the obvious cap issues) is 2 legitimate puck moving forwards. They don't have to be superstars or anything, but in the mold of say, Filppula (or even a notch below).

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:11 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
I think this is one of the main issues. This team doesn't really need another high profile scorer (e.g. Kovalchuk). I'm not even sure if it needs a bunch of "2nd liners", whatever that is these days. I think what they really need (apart from the obvious cap issues) is 2 legitimate puck moving forwards. They don't have to be superstars or anything, but in the mold of say, Filppula (or even a notch below).
Kovalchuk is a great passer and having him on a different line from Gaborik would definitely be benefitial, but for now hes unattainable. Like you say, we need puck moving forwards, which is spot on. With Sauer and Sanguinetti waiting in the AHL to get their chance, Rozy should be out of here ASAP. We don't need anyone amazing for Rozy, hell, if we'd get Andrei Kostitsyn that would be a major accomplishment.

Old
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
You guys are missing my point. Right now Dubinsky is the best center we have, so not having him hurts us. He is better than Anisimov at the moment...maybe not in the future, but right now he is. Eventually we have to find someone to fill the number 1 center position.
Anytime you lose two centers it hurts you... By the time he get's back from his injury Anisimov will be playing at his level and Dubinsky will have a lot of catching up to do. We do however need a true numero uno.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Disagree, things are bad, no one outside of Gaborik can score, what happened to all the people who said it was Renney's system responsible for lack of scoring? Well Callahan's done nothing, up until their injuries Dubinsky and Drury were underachieving, the "Russian Gretzky" has speed nothing else, Anisimov is a fine player, Kotalik has a big shot and that's about it. This team is not ok, they don't have enough difference makers. Look at the Devils, every year they're predicted to falter, but as long as they have Parise, Elias, Zajac, Langenbrunner, with Brodeur they will be fine. All of the aforementioned forwards are difference makers, unlike us with just Gaborik.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Disagree, things are bad, no one outside of Gaborik can score, what happened to all the people who said it was Renney's system responsible for lack of scoring? Well Callahan's done nothing, up until their injuries Dubinsky and Drury were underachieving, the "Russian Gretzky" has speed nothing else, Anisimov is a fine player, Kotalik has a big shot and that's about it. This team is not ok, they don't have enough difference makers. Look at the Devils, every year they're predicted to falter, but as long as they have Parise, Elias, Zajac, Langenbrunner, with Brodeur they will be fine. All of the aforementioned forwards are difference makers, unlike us with just Gaborik.

The Rangers have score 63 goals. Gaborik has scored 15 goals. That's 23.81% of our offense...a team like Columbus has Rick Nash scoring 22% of their goals, Stamkos is at 27%, Parise 21%...Elite players have to be elite...We are getting enough complimentary scoring as a whole...just not as of late...too much of "what have you done for me lately" going on here...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
The Rangers have score 63 goals. Gaborik has scored 15 goals. That's 23.81% of our offense...a team like Columbus has Rick Nash scoring 22% of their goals, Stamkos is at 27%, Parise 21%...Elite players have to be elite...We are getting enough complimentary scoring as a whole...just not as of late...too much of "what have you done for me lately" going on here...
Yeah but don't forget we are top 5 in defenseman scoring, look at the individual numbers at the quarter mark, Higgins 2g 3a, Callahan 3g 4a, Avery 2g 5a, "Russian Gretzky" 3g 5a, Dubinsky 3g 7a, Drury 2g 4a, outside of Gaborik, Prospal, and Kotalik all the other forwards have had terrible starts to the season.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah but don't forget we are top 5 in defenseman scoring, look at the individual numbers at the quarter mark, Higgins 2g 3a, Callahan 3g 4a, Avery 2g 5a, "Russian Gretzky" 3g 5a, Dubinsky 3g 7a, Drury 2g 4a, outside of Gaborik, Prospal, and Kotalik all the other forwards have had terrible starts to the season.
Well then by the law of averages I would say that the other forwards will start to pick it up sooner or later. Hopefully the d-men can continue to score and Gaborik stays healthy because once this team gets going its going to be hard to stop offensively.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:31 PM
In The Flesh

We are last years team.

How is that not bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
Sather is the cause of this mess and he has nobody to answer to. This is the biggest problem for this team and we will never ever be good until he is held accountable and fired.

Tell me what he has down with our team since he got here? Nothing close to a contender once. The team is always capped out and is mediocre.

Its time for the fans to calll him out. Sorry but this is the truth this isnt the 1980's anymore and he is a bad GM.
This is it.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:33 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
In terms of goal-scoring, there is a huge drop-off in production after Gaborik. Gaborik has scored 15 goals and our next leading goal scorer is Kotalik with 6. That's a 9-goal differential, by far the biggest differential in the league. No other team comes close to matching that disparity. The Rangers aren't getting the contributions they need from the rest of the lineup.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote