HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

everyone needs to chill..... things are not that bad

Old
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
In terms of goal-scoring, there is a huge drop-off in production after Gaborik. Gaborik has scored 15 goals and our next leading goal scorer is Kotalik with 6. That's a 9-goal differential, by far the biggest differential in the league. No other team comes close to matching that disparity. The Rangers aren't getting the contributions they need from the rest of the lineup.
9 goal differential, 6 goal differential, 5 goal differential...

is the problem here that the rest of the team isnt producing too much? or that Gaborik is producing way more than expected? Perhaps a combination of the 2 that is leading to these skewed numbers?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
We are last years team.
I'd be more inclined to say it's a repeat of the 05-06 team with Gaborik playing Jagr and Vinnie playing Nylander.

Handful of games over .500; playoffs; out by second round. That was my pre-season prediction, and the team has given me no reason to change.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

is the problem here that the rest of the team isnt producing too much? or that Gaborik is producing way more than expected? Perhaps a combination of the 2 that is leading to these skewed numbers?
It's the rest of the team, mostly. Most people know that, when healthy, Gaborik is a a top 5-10 player in the league.

Ovechkin has 15 goals as well. But Laich and Semin are both tied for second on the team for goals scored with 9 a piece.

Kopitar has 14 goals, Smyth is the second leading scorer with 9 goals. Heatley leads his team with 14 goals as well, but Marleau is close behind with 13 goals.

The Caps, Kings, and Sharks are all doing well in part because they have other guys on the team that can score. The Rangers don't have that consistent secondary scoring threat like the aforementioned teams.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:10 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:

how is this even a question? the numbers are directly indicative of the fact that ourside of gaborik and early offensive production from the kids on the blue line, this team has ZILCH offensively. forget about consistent production out of any of the other 3 lines, id take production in one out of 3 games at this point, this is getting rediculous.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
how is this even a question? the numbers are directly indicative of the fact that ourside of gaborik and early offensive production from the kids on the blue line, this team has ZILCH offensively. forget about consistent production out of any of the other 3 lines, id take production in one out of 3 games at this point, this is getting rediculous.
again, this is a recent development. the first 10 games, we were getting goal scoring from all over, then the last 10 games its become Gaborik or nothing. judging by the first 10 games, we had one of, if not the most balanced offense in the NHL....and going by the last 10 games, we are a 1 man team...

I happen to think the truth lies somewhere in between...as what usually happens when you take really small sample size and come to conclusions based on it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

i agree although i think when all is said and done theyll continue to struggle to score 3 goals all season long. Itll get a little better simply because the odds are it just cant get much worse

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
again, this is a recent development. the first 10 games, we were getting goal scoring from all over, then the last 10 games its become Gaborik or nothing. judging by the first 10 games, we had one of, if not the most balanced offense in the NHL....and going by the last 10 games, we are a 1 man team...

I happen to think the truth lies somewhere in between...as what usually happens when you take really small sample size and come to conclusions based on it.
I think the issue is which team are we going to see for the rest of the season. Are we going to see more of the team we saw for the first 10 games, or the one that we have been seeing for the past 10 games?

I agree that it is probably somewhere in between. But after what happened with last year's team, I am hesitant to assume they will just turn it around. We waited and waited for last year's team to get going and they never really did. Granted, this team has a new coach and different personnel so hopefully things will be different.

Offensively, this team is built differently from last year's team. This year we have an elite forward but little secondary scoring. Last year we had a bunch of secondary scorers but no elite top line talent. If we had a little of both, this team would be golden.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Gresch04

Quote:

Or...other teams have "figured us out" and THIS is the new level of production from this team. Scary but certainly a reasonable possibility.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Nick00

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresch04 View Post
Or...other teams have "figured us out" and THIS is the new level of production from this team. Scary but certainly a reasonable possibility.
^

This same exact thing happened last fall.
It has nothing to do with a temporary November slump, it's simply about us coming out of training camp in very good condition and taking advantage of less prepared teams in October.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote