HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Facts about game 4

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 11:42 PM
Sonik

vCash: 500
Facts about game 4

Here's some facts about the game...

1- Habs outplayed B's.
2- Kovalev played a great game (we should sign him IMO).
3- Zednik missed more chances than Randy Cunneyworth ever had in his career.
4- Jason Ward did a great job!
5- Koivu got a high stick in the face that cut him. That usually equals a 4 minutes penalty.
6- Travis Green sent a two-hand slash at Kovalev's hand. That deserved a penalty.
7- Kovalev should have kept his head up to clear the puck or get out of Souray's way.
8- Ryder-Ribeiro-Dagenais line played a great game. Those youngsters are really stepping it up...

9-THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR BRUINS!

Old
04-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik

WRONG.

This series is not over!!

Unbiased Canadian

Old
04-13-2004, 11:46 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I like your optimism, but for someone who has followed the habs day in and day out for as long as I have, losing to the refs is getting tiring. How can a player get slashed in teh hand so blatantly and not have a call. Does someone have to die of pain to get the play called dead? It is truely ridiculous how the nhl lets the refs work like ****. Why can refs work half *****, but if I did that at work, I would get fired? You don't make the calls you decide the game, you call them you decide the game. Follow the rule book and call the game the way the rules are sopposed to be called till that final whistle or goal. We as paying fans deserve to have a game called properly and the players are allowed to know if they get a stick to the face and cuts the persons lip, that a call will be made.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Raider917

Quote:

1- Habs outplayed B's.
5- Koivu got a high stick in the face that cut him. That usually equals a 4 minutes penalty.
6- Travis Green sent a two-hand slash at Kovalev's hand. That deserved a penalty.
7- Kovalev should have kept his head up to clear the puck or get out of Souray's way.
8- Ryder-Ribeiro-Dagenais line played a great game. Those youngsters are really stepping it up...

i think they did well. theyre younger and better than boston or ottawa were at this stage of development. even if we lose out of this series, its good experience now that will be very valuable next season. if we lose out,i would like to see ryder or ribiero go to the worlds if they get invited.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
The future isn't all that bright.

- Théodore isn't playing good.

- Kovalev have been providing a lot of our offensive power and he will likely not resign here. After what happenned tonight I would not be surprised if some guys are a bit rude to him in the next few days which could lead him to feel unwelcome and sign elsewhere.

- I don't believe that our actual prospects will give us a very good blueline.

I might be a bit pessimistic, but really, I feel that some overestimate this team. We aren't very talented..

Old
04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Howie Morenz

Quote:

1- Habs outplayed B's.

Also....bad bad play by Rivet with the icing in the last minute that brought the faceoff back to our end.

Again...The high stick to Koivu drawing blood. Nobody likes to make the ref a scapegoat and you can let the odd infraction slide,but not let go a call of this severity(overtime or not)

Does a confident Theo make that save on Murray? And in the offseason please have Rollie Melanson work on Theo's puck handling skills(a la Brodeur)

Finally..... We are probably feeling the same frustration as Bruin fans did 2 years ago when we were outplayed in games where Theo stood on his head and we won. Raycroft is the Theo of 2 years ago and it may be the Hockey Gods getting even.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Sonik

And Raycroft is a really good goalie....

Old
04-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Don't forget Bulis being called offside at his own blueline

Old
04-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Don't forget Bulis being called offside at his own blueline
In fact, the offside was called on Slegr : he stopped the puck in neutral zone, he kept his swing going and he sent the puck back in Habs zone.

Result? Boston offside.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:04 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`

- Kovalev have been providing a lot of our offensive power and he will likely not resign here. After what happenned tonight I would not be surprised if some guys are a bit rude to him in the next few days which could lead him to feel unwelcome and sign elsewhere.

I might be a bit pessimistic, but really, I feel that some overestimate this team. We aren't very talented..
What? What about Ribs scoring two goals, Komisarek will upgrade our defense, Jason Ward the warrior and what about outplaying and outskilled and outhustling Boston in the last 3 games. The future is bright. Hossa,Perez and Higgins will be an upgrade. Youre pessimistic.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`

how can you be pessimistic when we have gainey in charge?

Old
04-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
The whole team give the extra effort and i trough everybody played well .

The only missing link is Theodore .

Old
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
bb_fan

Quote:

1- Habs outplayed B's.

no, they did not.

true

guess i should follow randy more.....

didnt much notice

usually, but should i list everything montreal got away with too.....?

Maybe if penalties were being called......(and thonrton takes twice as much, twice as worse most games with out a call,,,he just plays thru it

Definitly

ribs did play well tonight,,,,,,but he's still a punk....nice punch he threw at Lapointe (with the stick in the same hand) from beghind Dag's...for no call as well......

this year isnt over yet though.....at least i wouldnt think so

and yes, the future is bright, for both

Old
04-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
The whole team give the extra effort and i trough everybody played well .

The only missing link is Theodore .
its frustrating but what choices do we have. i dont want to see theodore lose his job for this. if we use garon in game 5 and he wins, that could put theodores job as a #1 next year into question. maybe its good in the short term but how can you be sure whats happening to theodore wouldnt also happen to garon. i wouldnt be suprised if raycroft takes a step back next season too. the most frustrating thing about rebuilding is the goaltending.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
its frustrating but what choices do we have. i dont want to see theodore lose his job for this. if we use garon in game 5 and he wins, that could put theodores job as a #1 next year into question. maybe its good in the short term but how can you be sure whats happening to theodore wouldnt also happen to garon. i wouldnt be suprised if raycroft takes a step back next season too. the most frustrating thing about rebuilding is the goaltending.
I also hate this and i was hoping to see Theo bounce back for the last 3 games and he didn't . I think he deserve to play the rest of the series but if he don't put up 1 or 2 good games Garon will play more than 18 games next year ...

Old
04-14-2004, 12:36 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
In fact, the offside was called on Slegr : he stopped the puck in neutral zone, he kept his swing going and he sent the puck back in Habs zone.

Result? Boston offside.
Yeah but it went right on Bulis's stick and got it out right away. Like i said earlier, i remember damn well when the leafs scored on an identic play in our last meeting and the ref let the play continue.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:32 AM
HCH

Quote:

1- Habs outplayed B's.

I thought Ryder looked a little tentative at times. He seems to be hesitating before shooting the puck and that hesitation is costing him.

And I like Ryder

Old
04-14-2004, 01:50 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan

1- Habs outplayed B's.

no, they did not.
Care to explain this one?
I'd like to know what game you were watching

not saying you didn't deserve the win, because that would be hypocritical considering what Theo did 2 years ago, and what Raycroft is doing now... but you gotta give props where props are due, and in this case, the habs outplayed the bruins by and large.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:00 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
Care to explain this one?
I'd like to know what game you were watching

not saying you didn't deserve the win, because that would be hypocritical considering what Theo did 2 years ago, and what Raycroft is doing now... but you gotta give props where props are due, and in this case, the habs outplayed the bruins by and large.

how so though??

there were times were Boston was dominating and times were Montreal was.

i thought the gama had a greaqt back forth flow to it, with one team outplaying the other for extnded stretches, and then the other team doing the same.

i keep hearing how the habs vaslty outplayed the Bruins the last three games, and i dont ag gree at all.

I dont think anyone vastly outplayed the oppisition

Old
04-14-2004, 10:22 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Yeah but it went right on Bulis's stick and got it out right away. Like i said earlier, i remember damn well when the leafs scored on an identic play in our last meeting and the ref let the play continue.

That's true, I had forgotten that play. I was asking on another thread what the actual rule is as far as when to stop play. Is it discretionary or black and white ?

Old
04-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
how so though??

there were times were Boston was dominating and times were Montreal was.

i thought the gama had a greaqt back forth flow to it, with one team outplaying the other for extnded stretches, and then the other team doing the same.

i keep hearing how the habs vaslty outplayed the Bruins the last three games, and i dont ag gree at all.

I dont think anyone vastly outplayed the oppisition
i do think that the bruins played their best game since game 1, but montreal had many more chances to score than the bruins...
and although i'm a habs fan, i base that on the fact that if the bruins had had more chances to score, the game would most likely not have gone to overtime the way our goalie has played all series

Old
04-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Netro

Some random thoughts based on the posts I have read:

(1) Except for the first 10 minutes last night, the habs outplayed the B's. What was a bit odd is that the Habs built a lead in the first 25 minutes of the game but I thought played better as the game went on. There is no doubt the Habs deserved better.

(2) The Kovalev incident - The important thing to realize is that this incident is not about whether Green deserved a penalty or not. It is about what happened AFTER there was no penalty called. A player must keep playing until a whistle is blown and Kovalev did not. Period. The habs were unfortunate in that Kovalev bumped into Souray while the other D-man was changing creating the breakway. Kovalev, without realizing it, was the last man back.

(3) I never blame a game on officiating because I always figure it evens itself out over the course of a game. However, the offside call on the B's in the last minute was a terrible call, considering only a Hab, Bulis, touched the puck inside the Hab's end after Slegr shot the puck back in. No whistle should have gone and considering that Bulis brought the puck back to the B's blue line with the net open, odds are he would have scored. While not blaming the loss on this gaff, the whistle did set off a chain of unfortunate events. The Rivet icing and then the face-off in the Habs end. Dowd won the draw but Samsonov made a nice play to pick the puck from Rivet. However, when Samsonov threw the puck back, Ward dove to knock it out and unfortunately, it hit the B's d-man skate and stayed in and the rest we know. This is a series of unfortunate breaks that tell me that it just may not be the Habs year.

(4) Theo's play - Overall, yes, it could be better but he is your #1 guy and you stick with him. Last night, only the 1st goal he could have stopped. The second goal was a screen shot through Bouillion's legs, the 3rd goal was from in the crease and the last goal was a breakaway. It is more the missed oppotunities at the other end that have killed the Habs. And while Theo should have stopped the OT winner in game 2, the D let Bergeron in all the way to inside the circles and was way too soft on that play

While the Habs can still win the series, this is a serious uphill battle made more difficult because they have outplayed the B's the last 3 games and the manner in which yesterday's game ended. It will be interesting to see how they come out in game 5...I am real proud of the way the Habs have played the last 3 games and it is a shame that they aren't seeing the results for their efforts.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:32 PM
fatmax

The so called "off-side" on Bulis

Quote:

Result? Boston offside.
à

I first though it was an offside but the puck didn't get out of mtl zone and, I don't know which mtl player but he pass too bulis and then the wistle blows... mmmh... what the **** happens... I've ask my friend who went to the game and he told me it was because a mtl player was hurt...
so basically the referee blow the wistle because the guy is on the ice and he didn't call any penalties to Green for is slashing because he wasn't down?

I'm so piss that I though that the referee wanted the Bruins to win... on the bulis 2 on 1... he blows it because it was almost sure it was an empty netter (but you never know with Bulis) and he did not when he saw that the bruins could have a break away...

Of course my opinion isn't fair to both team (hey, I'm a fan) but I think that the referee suck yesterday and the sad thing is that we can't do anything... but throw away what we've got on the ice (my friend told me that what happens yesterday)... way to go habs fan

Piss off Fat

Old
04-14-2004, 01:44 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro
(4) Theo's play - Overall, yes, it could be better but he is your #1 guy and you stick with him. Last night, only the 1st goal he could have stopped. The second goal was a screen shot through Bouillion's legs, the 3rd goal was from in the crease and the last goal was a breakaway. It is more the missed oppotunities at the other end that have killed the Habs. And while Theo should have stopped the OT winner in game 2, the D let Bergeron in all the way to inside the circles and was way too soft on that play
The 2nd goal was weak since it was not redirected at all. If Theo had good positioning he would stop that goal. Also, at first I thought Murray's goal wasn't a weak one, but watching the replay I now think it was weak since Murray had to shoot (Rivet was catching up on him), had a restricted angle but Theodore was again out of position, not challenging the shooter, deep in his net and leaving a huge hole. He looked like those goaltender cardboards you put in practice that have wide openings stick side.

Also, Theodore is the best paid man on the team. Not only is he paid not to allow weak goals during the playoffs, he's also paid to make the big saves out there. So far, he's been one of the worst goaltenders in playoffs bar none (if you take every goalie playing in the playoffs). He's supposed to be "the man" on the team, yet he's far from it.

P.S.: Kovalev knew he was the last man there, both the other dmen were his passing options on the play, there's no way he didn't know nobody was back there. Also, even if you drop the puck, at least keep your head up or make sure not to get in the way of a teammate. Even drop on the ice or on the puck, but don't drift stupidly away like Kovalev did.

Closed Thread