HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Hamonic

Old
11-18-2009, 03:11 PM
davinhimself

vCash: 500
Travis Hamonic

In 23 games in the WHL this year, Hamonic has 7 goals and 22 assists. Does anyone think there's a chance of seeing his in the NHL this season? He also has 38 PIM. Anyone know more about him?

davinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Most of his here on the board expect him to be in the NHL next season, and be our own Shea Weber. I don't know much about his game, but I know he actually uses his side to his advantage.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 03:21 PM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

You never know, if he has a good camp he could make the squad

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
PlayoffBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Most of his here on the board expect him to be in the NHL next season, and be our own Shea Weber. I don't know much about his game, but I know he actually uses his side to his advantage.
Shea Weber is one of the best Dmen in the league. I have never seen Hamonic play but that is a very lofty expectation.

PlayoffBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Islanderfan72

Lets not rush him. We need him to be good if we ever want to get to the "next level". He has size and is showing this year that he has some offense to his game. If he is ready that is great but lets not rush him. I hope to see him come along like Okposo; play 20ish games at bridgeport and them play 9 games at the NHL so his contract does not count till the next year.

Also, with Sutton comming off the books (He is playing well now but I hope they don't resign him. There are better deffenseman that we can get thru trade, FA or our own prospects) and marty always hurt there will be room for him.

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Dice on Ice

He can't be yanked out of the WHL. Best shot you've got of seeing him this year is if he is playing out of his mind and the Isles are thin on D in the middle of a playoff push. I'd give you 20:1 odds on him coming over this year. Next year, the odds of him in the NHL at some point are more like 4:1.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayoffBeard View Post
Shea Weber is one of the best Dmen in the league. I have never seen Hamonic play but that is a very lofty expectation.
It's a future comparison, nobody said that he's going to immediately make the same impact Weber did.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
PlayoffBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
It's a future comparison, nobody said that he's going to immediately make the same impact Weber did.
Well, if in the future Hamonic is a valid comparison to Weber, I will be ecstatic and buy you season tix for your prophetic ways...

PlayoffBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Maybe it's just his WHL pedigree, his height and that he also began junior as a strict stay-at-homer... but Hamonic is starting to remind me of the type of prospect McCabe was at a similar age (downright eerie how McCabe had a similar "spike" in his production of virtually the same magnitude at the back end of his WHL career).

Anyway, McCabe spent two FULL years in junior after getting drafted (despite being a 20+ goal scoring defenseman with size and a heavy slap shot) and I think that may be a wise development course for Hamonic as well. No need to rush him along just b/c the varsity is surprisingly "in the mix" at Thanksgiving...

I DO look forward to getting a good look at Hamonic in the seasons ahead though (Hamonic and Trivino were two of my more favorite picks in recent years)...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Sneekypete

His size and grit makes him a man among boys. I will be very suprised to see him get more then a handful of games in the NHL over the next couple of seasons. I expect him to struggle a bit to the speed of the AHL let alone NHL game. MOST dmen need a few years of seasoning in the AHL or equivelent level. Why rush a prospect like this unless he makes a major impact in the AHL next year. Odds he gets more then a cup of coffee in the show next year 25 to 1.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:42 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
Maybe it's just his WHL pedigree, his height and that he also began junior as a strict stay-at-homer... but Hamonic is starting to remind me of the type of prospect McCabe was at a similar age (downright eerie how McCabe had a similar "spike" in his production of virtually the same magnitude at the back end of his WHL career).

Anyway, McCabe spent two FULL years in junior after getting drafted (despite being a 20+ goal scoring defenseman with size and a heavy slap shot) and I think that may be a wise development course for Hamonic as well. No need to rush him along just b/c the varsity is surprisingly "in the mix" at Thanksgiving...

I DO look forward to getting a good look at Hamonic in the seasons ahead though (Hamonic and Trivino were two of my more favorite picks in recent years)...

Great comparison... I remember when McCabe was drafted and etc.. Very similar... Hopefully, Hamonic has a career such as McCabe....

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Moooose444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post

Hamonic could be the captain next year. Oh wait we don't do that anymore.

Moooose444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:30 AM
goal1228

Great to hear Harmonic is progressing so well... Hows does Trivino and our othe d-men prospects look?

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Great comparison... I remember when McCabe was drafted and etc.. Very similar... Hopefully, Hamonic has a career such as McCabe....
Thanks. Honestly, I haven't seen enough of Hamonic yet to officially attach the "McCabe" label to him formally... but from 30,000 feet- their development paths seem very similar thus far (incidentally both were 2nd Round picks to boot). Agreed that it would be awesome if Hamonic can end up in the Bryan McCabe neighborhood... and it starts to get really exciting when you think of our power play a few years out given that de Haan draws favorable comparisons to Kaberle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moooose444 View Post
Hamonic could be the captain next year. Oh wait we don't do that anymore.
HAHA. Then we can trade him with Okposo for Trevor Linden.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
OlTimeHockey

Let's just forget he exists for another year or two, 'k?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote