HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Varada

vCash: 500
Go to the freaking net!!!!!

First, I want t dispel Don Cherry's opinion that Ottawa is suffering from an identity crisis, playing a Leaf brand of hockey, and thus is the primary reason they are behind in series. Fisher, Varada, Shaefer, Neil, Chara, Phillips, and A-Train are tough, and gritty players, who are responsible for a substantial proportion of the hard hitting. They have fulfilled their collective roles, any and suggestion these players are somehow playing outside themselves is patently false. It is Leafcentric to think the Sens are playing Leaf hockey, but rather it is playoff hockey.

The Sens struggles can obviously be attributed to their lack of scoring. I heard Pierre Macguire say this morning on the Team 1200 that as coach his team once defeated a Belfour netminded team 4 games to none. This was accomplished by his palyers perpetually going to the net, until it got Belfour rattled. It is gut check time for the Sens. They have been willing deliver the checks, but are the willing to sacrifice their bodies, and take the necessary punishment required to score playoff style goals.

I still have a shred- a very thin shred at this point- of confidence in this team. If the Sens can demonstrate the desire to go to the net, I'm positive this series can be ours. I know this post will some how be very offensive to Leafs fans.

Last edited by Varada: 04-14-2004 at 03:41 AM.
Old
04-13-2004, 11:28 PM
attis76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varada
First, I want t dispel Don Cherry's opinion that Ottawa is suffering from an identity crisis, playing a Leaf brand of hockey, and thus is the primary reason they are behind in series. Fisher, Varada, Shaefer, Neil, Chara, Phillips, and A-Train are tough, and gritty players, who are responsible for a substantial proportion of the hard hitting. They have fulfilled their collective roles, any and suggestion these players are somehow playing outside themselves is patently false. It is Leafcentric to think the Sens are playing Leaf hockey, but rather it is playoff hockey.

The Sens struggles can obviously be attributed to their lack of scoring. I heard Pierre Macguire say this morning on the Team 1200 that as coach his team once defeated a Belfour netminded team 4 games to none. This was accomplished by his palyers perpetually going to the net, until it got Belfour rattled. It is gut check time for the Sens. They have been willing deliver the checks, but are the willing to sacrifice their bodies, and take the necessary punishment required to score playoff style goals.

I still have a shred- a very thin shred at this point- of confidence in this team. If the Sens can demonstrate the desire to go to the net, I'm positive this series can be ours. I know this post will some how be very offensive to Leafs fans.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think it's a playoff hockey-style at least not for the Senators,since we always played this way and you just started it-poorly I might add.
If it is playoff hockey-style,then why didn't you play like this 2-3 years ago?

Old
04-13-2004, 11:36 PM
gbl1p

Quote:

a) Who cares what Leafs fans find offensive? Is there anything they don't find offensive?

b) There is person in the series that I've been saying all along that the Sens need to get at. They need to pay the price for this to work, they need to work their butts off to have this pay off. It's a matter of getting right into his office. I won't say who it is, but I'll give you a hint: I'll call him E. Belfour. Wait, that's far too obvious. We'll call him "Eddie B.".

Old
04-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Varada

Attis76,
Actually we have, the Sens recent success against Philly the last two years was in large part due to their physical style of play. As I've posted on the Leafs board, I distinctly remember Hitchtkock beig bombarded by the media in Post Game press conferences to explain why Ottawa had the physical edge. His rationalizaton was that the Sens in fact "were a bigger team." I know it can be difficult for Leaf fans to expand their minds beyond their Leafcentric worldview, and attribute all that is good in hockey to the Blue and White.

Old
04-14-2004, 05:49 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Attis76,
Actually we have, the Sens recent success against Philly the last two years was in large part due to their physical style of play. As I've posted on the Leafs board, I distinctly remember Hitchtkock beig bombarded by the media in Post Game press conferences to explain why Ottawa had the physical edge. His rationalizaton was that the Sens in fact "were a bigger team." I know it can be difficult for Leaf fans to expand their minds beyond their Leafcentric worldview, and attribute all that is good in hockey to the Blue and White.
We just have to play bigger where it counts, in front of Belfour.

Closed Thread