Habs fans should read up on 1979 series

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 11:25 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Habs fans should read up on 1979 series

I'll say this about tonights game- the Canadiens would have won on boxing point system; Zednik looked like a 50 goal scorer and Kovalev was the best player on the ice along with Raycroft. Was it a penalty- I honestly would not have called it because Kovalev has pulled this crap before and who knows after the other night who's hurt and who isn't. Kovalev did a similar stunt years ago in a playoff game to draw a penalty. But what cracks me up is all the whinning.....give me a break. I realize many of you are teenagers but ask your parents about game 7 of the epic series with Boston in 1979. The Bruins hold a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period and Bob Myers the ref that night calls a roughing penalty on Jean Ratelle. Ratelle was slashed 10 times worse than Kovalev- pushes off and gets a penalty. It was his first roughing penalty in a couple Presidential terms yet Myers in the Montreal Forum felt it was time to call it. Ratelle was Mr Lady Bing....and the Canadiens scored to make it 3-2 and get back into it. What goes around comes around- and after Riberio and Kovalev's history who would believe he was looking for more than drawing a penalty- it sure looked minor and the type of hack that happens every shift of every game. Get over it

Old
04-13-2004, 11:29 PM
wensink

This is what I truly love about some of the folks here. They make me remember stuff that I forgot all about.

I completely forgot about that call on Ratelle. Who might add had a massive total of 12 PIMs that year.

Oh...by the way...he gooned it up in the playoffs. 2 minutes. The famous roughing call.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:35 PM
bwunderlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I'll say this about tonights game- the Canadiens would have won on boxing point system; Zednik looked like a 50 goal scorer and Kovalev was the best player on the ice along with Raycroft. Was it a penalty- I honestly would not have called it because Kovalev has pulled this crap before and who knows after the other night who's hurt and who isn't. Kovalev did a similar stunt years ago in a playoff game to draw a penalty. But what cracks me up is all the whinning.....give me a break. I realize many of you are teenagers but ask your parents about game 7 of the epic series with Boston in 1979. The Bruins hold a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period and Bob Myers the ref that night calls a roughing penalty on Jean Ratelle. Ratelle was slashed 10 times worse than Kovalev- pushes off and gets a penalty. It was his first roughing penalty in a couple Presidential terms yet Myers in the Montreal Forum felt it was time to call it. Ratelle was Mr Lady Bing....and the Canadiens scored to make it 3-2 and get back into it. What goes around comes around- and after Riberio and Kovalev's history who would believe he was looking for more than drawing a penalty- it sure looked minor and the type of hack that happens every shift of every game. Get over it
DKH!!!

i was just going to say something about 79 as i watched the regulation goal on espn2 then switched to the center ice cbc feed (which is about a 5 second delay) to see it again - i did the same for the game winner.

this game was SOO much like that game 7 and while we haven't won ANYTHING yet, game 7 in 79 now hurts a lot less as we totally snatched victory from certain defeat. . . in montreal. in controversial fashion. does it get any better??

i have been doing this for over an hour.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Donnie Marcotte Fan

Ratelle was Mr Lady Bing....and the Canadiens scored to make it 3-2 and get back into it. hack that happens every shift of every game. Get over it[/QUOTE]

Well I'm getting older, and I certainly agree that it was a poor call by Meyers, but I disagree Montreal scored on the power play. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I bet you that Lafluer set up both Mark Napier, and Guy Lapointe, within two minutes of Ratelle leaving the penalty box.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Magnus Fulgur

They retired Meyer's number at the old Forum, didn't they? I think the "Bleu" seats at the CentreBellCenter are named "Meyer's Meccca".

Oh well, this century is going to be different. We'll be the ones winning five times as many Cups as they!

Old
04-14-2004, 12:11 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

LOL....That's funny I said It was a make up call for "1979" in the game thread when I reluctantly excused Axelsson for embellishing that tap to the leg he got tonight. It resulted in a PP for us tonight. It was a phantom call tonight just like the one on Ratelle was then. It doesn't win us a trip to the finals to face the weak Rangers but tonight healed a considerable piece of that wound.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Brett38

So you must really believe that the slash should have been called!
But since you never got the calls in 1979, now you make that a trade off...pathetic.

Great come-back by Boston though, to get them to overtime. Game 5 will be even better. Theo has not had a great game yet.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:17 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
So you must really believe that the slash should have been called!
But since you never got the calls in 1979, now you make that a trade off...pathetic.

Great come-back by Boston though, to get them to overtime. Game 5 will be even better. Theo has not had a great game yet.
Hey, maybe it hurt Axe. Either way I can justify things however I like.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Tim O'Reilly

Don't forget in 1979 also in that game a brutal call aginst Redmond for hooking. More crap from the refs. I can still see Cashman (he must have REALLY have enjoyed this win tonight) holding up 10 fingers to Myers as the score for the dive.

Unfortunately, if your not a Bruins fan, you can't appreciate the hell we went through. As well, you can't appreciate tonight's joy!

GO BRUINS!!!!!

Old
04-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Brett38

I will bow out...this was your game!

Old
04-14-2004, 03:33 AM
AltaHab

I watched that '79 game as it happened and it was a real roller coaster game of emotions for this Hab fan. Boston outplayed the Habs and those chances Boston had in the slot drove me crazy. Eventually I got the game on tape and watch it every couple of years to relive old glories. Montreal had a good team but Boston was right there with them in all departments. In hindsight Boston should've won that series and would've won the cup easily, of this I have no doubt.

Old
04-14-2004, 07:30 AM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHab
I watched that '79 game as it happened and it was a real roller coaster game of emotions for this Hab fan. Boston outplayed the Habs and those chances Boston had in the slot drove me crazy. Eventually I got the game on tape and watch it every couple of years to relive old glories. Montreal had a good team but Boston was right there with them in all departments. In hindsight Boston should've won that series and would've won the cup easily, of this I have no doubt.
If you ever get a chance. Could you see if the Hab's scored on the Ratelle penalty or shortly after.

Just curious.

Closed Thread