Notices

who outplayed who???

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 11:31 PM
bb_fan

vCash: 500
who outplayed who???

i think the last couple of games have been very even , but i read posts were habs fans are saying we outplayed them, and B's fans saying they outplayed us.

Who really thinks were out played them, they outplayed us, or there was alot of even back and forth up and down play?

(me, i go for choice number three)

Old
04-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Game 1: Boston hands down
Game 2: Montreal slight edge
Game 3: Montreal hands down
Game 4: Montreal slight edge

What Boston did get was breaks, and we all know that breaks can win you hockey games. Also, you guys are getting what we got from Theo in 2002. Raycroft has been great and after getting to see him play he deserves the Calder. He looked a little weak on some of those goals tonight but he was great when he needed to be and he kept you guys in the game, unlike Theodore...

For all the things that are being said, I hope you guys can see our side of what happened. Sure I'm mad at Kovalev, but it was a slash and should of been a call. If you guys go on to win the series congratulations, let's just try to keep it civil and stop with the baiting, flaming & dumb comments.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Rumpy

Game 1: Boston really bad
Game 4: Montreal really bad

Old
04-13-2004, 11:45 PM
pblc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan

What Boston did get was breaks, and we all know that breaks can win you hockey games. Also, you guys are getting what we got from Theo in 2002. Raycroft has been great and after getting to see him play he deserves the Calder. He looked a little weak on some of those goals tonight but he was great when he needed to be and he kept you guys in the game, unlike Theodore...

For all the things that are being said, I hope you guys can see our side of what happened. Sure I'm mad at Kovalev, but it was a slash and should of been a call. If you guys go on to win the series congratulations, let's just try to keep it civil and stop with the baiting, flaming & dumb comments.
Well said...........we Bruin/Hab fans will probably never see eye to eye on everything....which is probably a good thing....because if that ever happened I think we would be looking at the 1st sign of the apocolypse.

I can't really disagree with your breakdown of the games though. Maybe its just the grudging respect that I have for the Habs speaking here, but I thought that the Habs have been better through a lot of the series......maybe not by a longshot.....but I think that they have had the edge in quality scoring chances. The shots may be close, but I just cringe with fear when the Habs have the puck in the Bruins end...they scare me. Boston has just been more opportunistic, and had the better goaltending.....not complaining mind you...but thats how I see it.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
maswe12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
Well said...........we Bruin/Hab fans will probably never see eye to eye on everything....which is probably a good thing....because if that ever happened I think we would be looking at the 1st sign of the apocolypse.

I can't really disagree with your breakdown of the games though. Maybe its just the grudging respect that I have for the Habs speaking here, but I thought that the Habs have been better through a lot of the series......maybe not by a longshot.....but I think that they have had the edge in quality scoring chances. The shots may be close, but I just cringe with fear when the Habs have the puck in the Bruins end...they scare me. Boston has just been more opportunistic, and had the better goaltending.....not complaining mind you...but thats how I see it.
I thought boston outplayed the habs for the first 40 minutes tonight and then the ice was flipped for the last 40. We had better goaltending and that wins games. There were alot of weird bounces that went the habs way today....on the 2nd ribeiro goal the puck came right off the boards and got our DMen twisted....there were 3 or 4 strange bounces that all seemed to hurt us. All in all when the Bs play their game and are aggressive they carry the play...but they do have a tendency to sit back and the Habs skate all over them. Id like to see them a little more desperate when they are down in the 3rd...although it worked out well today...I dont think we deserved the tie with the effort put in.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
08Neely
Blades of Steel

Quote:

I'll agree with that.
My call is that if Muzz does not get called for hauling Kovalev down earlier in the period then Green goes to the box for that slash - hands down.

There were quite a few things on both sides that could've been called in the 3rd and the first OT.
We definitely need to pick up the pace a bit if we expect to close this series out at home - otherwise anything goes.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:04 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy
Exactly my friend.
Your goalie Raycroft is excellent.
Now I know why you had 102 points!
Now I wish Harry keep the team together next year

Old
04-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy

Thats what I saw.

There was a thread on the habs board last week asking "what scares you the most in the Bruins?" and my reply was "Raycroft becoming 2002's Theodore". And thats exactly what happened.. Raycroft has been a total beast whereas Theodore has been Dafoe-ish.

Tonight's game was probably the best game these playoffs, minus the sucky ending. Everything about that ending sucked (except for you guys) .. After the great fight these two teams had, I hoped the ending wouldn't be decided by a non-call. I know there were ton of non-calls... But having the fate of the game (and series) sealed because of a non-call is ridiculous to me.

Raycroft did look shaky on the second Habs goal, imo. But that was the only time.. After that he stood on his head. I was in awe watching him make save after save.. most of the saves came against our first line.

All year I said Ryder should get the Calder, but now I have changed my mind. Congratulations to the B's on finally getting a true #1 goalie.

Last edited by Vicious: 04-14-2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 12:16 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Does it really matter... bottom line is, Bruins have come up big in clutch situations. The Bruins have been better at when the game counts the most...and most importantly, hold a 3-1 lead in the series.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:17 AM
supernova

I thought the Bs sat back and watched a little too much, the Habs seemed to have a better flow to their offence. Sometimes the Bs looked liked they weren't skating, although when they did skate and started taking the body they looked like they were in control. All in all a fairly even game, some weird bounces on both sides. The ice can't be very good.

When it happened, I thought it may turn out to be the turning point of the game if not the series. That's when Gill got tangled up with Quintal and pretty much ended his night, and then they killed the penalty. That spread their D a bit thin and since it went to double OT, it hurt that much more. Was it the difference, who knows, but it sure didn't help the Habs.

Is it now safe to say Joe is close to 100%? He sure didn't appear to be ailing too bad. They can do he and the rest of the team a huge favour and win the next game. Get Joe some rest, they can't win another round if he's going through the motions.

Thanks to the hockey Gods for looking out for the Bruins for once. It would of been hard to swallow an OT goal by Kovalev or heaven forbid Ribiero. It was painful enough watching his 2 goals, a hat trick winner could of been diasterous for the bruins.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:31 AM
BruinsGirl

I think B's started GREAT tonight but these 2 goals deflated them to some extent.

They could've played game #3 better but I guess injury to the #1 Center and absence of #2 will do it to you.... and again you can't fell behind in the playoffs. I blame D breakdowns more than over all play.

I feel that in every game we had ups and downs.

Habs definitely gotten better this year... It's good for rivalry I think.

I still can't get over how badly B's outplayed them in 2002 and lost.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Regarding the Bruins stretches of struggling since Game 1, you really just have to credit the Habs for that. Their forwards match up quite favorably with the Bruins defense. The speed edge is quite pronounced. Boston has actually been playing well and hard. The Canadiens are simply creating a lot of chaos in the Bruins end. Raycroft has been the difference. It's really pretty amazing how he has stoned good bid after good bid. The Bruins have withstood the best that Montreal can muster and hopefully they'll go all out to wrap it up next game. It would be huge to get through Round 1 in 5 games. Their confidence has to be sky high.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:39 AM
maswe12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Regarding the Bruins stretches of struggling since Game 1, you really just have to credit the Habs for that. Their forwards match up quite favorably with the Bruins defense. The speed edge is quite pronounced. Boston has actually been playing well and hard. The Canadiens are simply creating a lot of chaos in the Bruins end. Raycroft has been the difference. It's really pretty amazing how he has stoned good bid after good bid. The Bruins have withstood the best that Montreal can muster and hopefully they'll go all out to wrap it up next game. It would be huge to get through Round 1 in 5 games. Their confidence has to be sky high.
yeah we dont match up well with them. If we get through the habs I sure dont want to have to play a team like TB...I think our 2 worst matchups in the playoffs are TB and Mon and hopefully Rayzor can finish up this steal for us.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:

I will have to agree with that. But if goaltenders are 50% of the game, tonight would make the game even overall.

Montreal played better the last 40 minutes but the 2 first periods were Boston's IMO.

Game 4: even, maybe a slight edge for Montreal because of the last 40mn

Old
04-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
TB is not as worrisome to me because 1) they are not the heated rivals that Montreal is, and 2) they do not have quite as much depth. Guys like St Louis and Richards will give us fits, but I'm not sure I can see the Lightning mustering the kind of high speed swarming attack the Canadiens have been bringing. They could be tough, but I feel like the Habs are a tougher matchup for some reason. The team I'm most worried about beyond Montreal, if we can ponder getting through Round 1, is Toronto. Lots of experience there.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this is how much the playoff teams worry me:

Montreal - 8, but down to about 5 now because of the 3-1 lead
Toronto - 10
NJ - 5 (I think they're on the slide)
Philly - 7
Tampa - 7
NYI - 2
Ottawa - 8 (but they have not looked that good this year)

I see the Round 2 teams being Boston, Toronto, Tampa, Philly. Any opponent will be tough, but Toronto is the one I'm concerned about. I like our chances against anyone else.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:55 AM
maswe12

The Isles have played pretty well, maybe they can pull off the upset. regardless, if we want to win it all, we got to beat em all.

Old
04-14-2004, 06:43 AM
PapaFish

Quote:

3 games to 1 ........ end of story

Old
04-14-2004, 06:46 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
It's a game of breaks and bounces, and for once we're starting to get them, anyone remember how many posts we hit in 2002??

Also of concern is how good the Habs top line played last night, every time they were on the ice they had a chance.

Old
04-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Jeff from Maine

I Agree Black Eye

Toronto is the one team that really scares me. we dont have an edge in ANY areas against the Leafs:

a. Goal- at best this is a toss up. The Eagle is a money goalie and Razor has been good for the most part, although all 3 goals last night were ones he would want back.

b. blueline- Toronto has the better depth, and likely is the better in its own end now. Leetch has taken over that team. He has already jumped into that leadership role and his play is awesome. McCabe is having a Norris type year. Their depth is such that Ken Klee is having a hard time finding minutes! The B`s? Well, our defense corp has been awful so far...no physical play, too cautious.

c. forward- Again, the Leafs have the better depth. Our top line ay be better than their top line....if you dont count playoff play. And their 2nd and 3rd lines all have proven playoff guys. what really seperates the teams is the 3rd and 4th round quality. We count on guys like Zamuner and Hilbert....Toronto looks to the Domis, Fitzgeralds, Francis, Reichels.

I am not saying that all is lost, but Toronto is a much deeper team than we are and they have much more playoff experience. That is worth a whole hell of a lot!

Teams like Philly (goaltending and blueline), Ottawa (tending) and Tampa (grit and tending), Boston (blueline and consistent scoring) all have their weaknesses. Its just that their weaknesses appear to be more pronounced than those of the Leafs.

Later

Old
04-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
although I agree with most of what is being said..

The Bruins could have 2 edges if they play the Leafs..

The first is to get into Belfour's head. The 700 pound line can do that simply by clogging the slot.
The next is more of a hope in that the Leafs and Sens continue to physically pound each other. The older you get , the harder it is to sustain that night in and night out without breaking down.
I speak from experience.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

If the Bruins match up against Toronto, they will have to up their physical play- that will be a key factor to winning against them. We may see Doull in a few games instead of Zams or Hilbert, to keep things honest out there. Toronto is giving the Sens a run for their money, it's been fun watching their games- non stop entertainment!

Closed Thread