HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Isles get involved in bidding for Filatov?

Old
11-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
Should the Isles get involved in bidding for Filatov?

Part of the knock on Bailey is that he doesn't have anyone to pass to.

Filatov could solve that.

*could*

He's supposedly upset with the defense first system of the Jackets.

I don't think Flash has a defense first system.

So...should we?

How much is too much to give up?

What would CBJ want?

2nd rounder in next year and a prospect I can't think of?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:08 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post
How much is too much to give up?

What would CBJ want?

2nd rounder in next year and a prospect I can't think of?
I think every team should ask about a player like Filatov, but, depending on how he plays in the WJC and KHL, it would take A LOT more than a 2nd and a prospect. I don't think the Isles have the ammo right now to pull it off.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:09 AM
BJo

Filatov was the top ranked prospect in the world last year. I'd think you'd have to give up Bailey+ to land him. Filatov's stock may have dropped a bit, but he's still worth more than Bailey.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Hip Of Rick

I would offer our first this year and a mid level prospect like Joenssuu

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Moooose444

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I think every team should ask about a player like Filatov, but, depending on how he plays in the WJC and KHL, it would take A LOT more than a 2nd and a prospect. I don't think the Isles have the ammo right now to pull it off.
I wouldn't want to give up de Haan but I would think about it.

How about this years 1st and Ness?

Moooose444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Moooose444

I think this would help speed up the rebuild and putting him next to Tavares would be deadly. Sorry Matty Ice.

Old
11-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Dan-o16

Why would the organization flip-flop on Filatov now? I know he's shiny and all, but there's really no motivation for this. If the Islanders give up assets for anything, it should be to shore up the backline for now and the future.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:57 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Why would the organization flip-flop on Filatov now? I know he's shiny and all, but there's really no motivation for this. If the Islanders give up assets for anything, it should be to shore up the backline for now and the future.

Cheers,

Dan-o
This wouldn't be shoring up for the future? I would say 100% give it a shot. If we end up with a mid-round draft pick this year we should deal it, it's not a solid draft. I believe it would be steal of the year if the Islanders system turns that attitude of his around.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Cheers,

Dan-o
A flip flop? I don't think it is. They had multiple interviews and it went well. Filatov came out after and talked about wanting to be an Islander. Obviously they both liked eachother. I don't see them giving up Bailey after all that, but I could definitely see them thinking about how to get Filatov. Snow would look like a genius. Also they need someone around to translate for Petrov in a couple of years.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Chardo

It will take more than the Isles first pick. Filatov was the 6th pick just a year ago, and would have been even higher if not for the fab 4 defensemen in that draft. No way CBJ gives up on him for anything less than a top 5 pick this year or a top 15 plus a good prospect. I would think it may take the Isles first plus Ness, which may be worth it.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
blackmesa

I dont want any part in someone with the 'me first' attitude of Filatov. I would want him even less if we traded one of our few defensive prospects for him. I would be absolutely livid if he replaced Moulson.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
I dont want any part in someone with the 'me first' attitude of Filatov. I would want him even less if we traded one of our few defensive prospects for him. I would be absolutely livid if he replaced Moulson.
I don't see how what he did was "me first".

He asked the management and got their input.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:08 AM
potvin05

Simply put, no. We already have a young enigmatic Russian (are there any other than AO?) named Kirill Petrov.

potvin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

If Snow wouldn't have to give up a lot, I would inquire to see what it would take.

11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Riddick

i think filatov could flourish here. he has the wheels for an all out assault that gordon likes. if he learned the system....jebus. that being said, i wouldnt give up this years first for a guy that may/may not even play in the nhl in 3 months.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:36 AM
lorwood

Goaltending and Defense gets you to the dance. Always has always will.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:47 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moooose444 View Post
I think this would help speed up the rebuild and putting him next to Tavares would be deadly. Sorry Matty Ice.
How would getting rid of a guy who is proving that he can play in the NHL for a 19 year old "speeding up the rebuild?"

Speeding up the rebuild would be acquiring a veteran talent who could help us win games today. Trading NHL assets for Filatov is merely perpetuating it.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
I wouldn't want to give up de Haan but I would think about it.
I would personally be pretty surprised if Snow and Jankowski traded a guy they moved heaven and earth to get (de Haan) for a guy they famously passed on the year before (Filatov).

I only see us getting in the mix if Columbus gets desperate and becomes fatigued after all the crap they've been through with Zherdev and now Filatov and will take .30 cents on the dollar just to be rid of him. That said... to me that would be a pretty good indicator that we shouldn't be involved at all- and given the premium Snow/Janks place on "character"... I suspect they'd come to the same conclusion.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Sneekypete

It would cost to much in assets to get Filatov at the present time. Also GM Garth passed on him for a reason. Unless he can be acquired on the cheap cheap it makes very little sense.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
BJo

I don't trust that he's ever coming back to the NHL. He'll make much more in the KHL, at least for the next few years.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
OlTimeHockey

If we could land Filatov and he grew into a Pavel Datsyuk type......amazing. I'd say we could 100% dedicate our time to building the defense after that. Like Tavares, he's a home run. You pop fly out a lot, but you get that home run and you have something special, rather than runners stranded on base like we always end up with (Okposo was a fine triple).
If it takes a first and......we do it.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:29 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
CBJ would want to come out of any deal with a net gain in size, so I'd offer one of the Ice Girls.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Moooose444

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
How would getting rid of a guy who is proving that he can play in the NHL for a 19 year old "speeding up the rebuild?"

Speeding up the rebuild would be acquiring a veteran talent who could help us win games today. Trading NHL assets for Filatov is merely perpetuating it.
I am not saying get rid of Moulson. He can play with Bailey or Frans but a potential line with Filatov-JT-KO would be nasty.

I actually think it was kinda smart by the Blue Jackets. They don't have a top 6 spot for him. This kid needs to be playing not watching from the press box. Will he really gain that much dominating the AHL for another year.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
CBJ would want to come out of any deal with a net gain in size, so I'd offer one of the Ice Girls.
that's messed up!

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
BJo

Quote:
I am not saying get rid of Moulson. He can play with Bailey or Frans but a potential line with Filatov-JT-KO would be nasty.

I actually think it was kinda smart by the Blue Jackets. They don't have a top 6 spot for him. This kid needs to be playing not watching from the press box. Will he really gain that much dominating the AHL for another year.
Moulson and Tavares are clicking on all cylinders right now and you want to break them up for a 19 year old who just fled to Russia? Cmon. We have a good thing going right now. There is no guarantee Filatov's "raw skill" would even click with JT. JT isn't even playing with KO anymore. He's actually put up his best production on a line with MM and Park, no?