HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Isles get involved in bidding for Filatov?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2009, 04:33 PM
  #51
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Agreed on most points with the exception of the prediction. Whole situation is ugly, but the fact that he's going to be handed a lot of money ($875k tax free vs. $65k in the AHL?) in the KHL without having proven anything scares me. Maybe the kid will prove me wrong, but running away from a tough situation and being rewarded for it in the process doesn't strike me as the ideal "reality check" type of situation.
Fair point. I'm just trying to be nice and not pile on the kid anymore than required. Want to give him the benefit of the doubt, simply because he has time (age) on his side. Just because he quit doesn't necessarily mean that wiser minds should quit on him, just yet.


Last edited by Trottier: 11-19-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 05:54 PM
  #52
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
A flip flop? I don't think it is. They had multiple interviews and it went well. Filatov came out after and talked about wanting to be an Islander. Obviously they both liked eachother. I don't see them giving up Bailey after all that, but I could definitely see them thinking about how to get Filatov. Snow would look like a genius. Also they need someone around to translate for Petrov in a couple of years.
Thankfully, Snow doesn't seem to care what he looks like. Only that he has a plan. Filatov isn't in it. That choice was already made. There's no reason to revisit it. Nobody has given a single reason.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
  #53
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Just got home and read the thread.

I'm seeing quite a bit of "Garth passed up on him."

Maybe it was down to Bailey and Filatov.
Maybe Garth though it better to go with Bailey and acquire the extra picks.

As other say, and I always say, Garth should at least call. It is his job to do so.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:02 PM
  #54
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post
As other say, and I always say, Garth should at least call. It is his job to do so.
If a player's character means nothing, indeed they should inquire about Filatov.

Who do you want in "the room"? - a skilled player who quits/disappears when the going gets the least bit rough? Apparently so. Apparently the hard, painful lessons of Yashin/Kvasha and that gutless crew have long left the memory banks of some.

This team has been commended in recent times by some here for moving on from the mindset of the past...yet some of those same fans applauding the team clearly haven't moved on themselves.

No. It's not Snow's "job" to inquire about quitters, IMO.

Pursue individuals who possess skill + character. Only.


Last edited by Trottier: 11-19-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
  #55
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
If a player's character means nothing, indeed they should inquire about Filatov.

Who do you want in "the room"? - a skilled player who quits/disappears when the going gets the least bit rough? Apparently so. Apparently the hard, painful lessons of Yashin/Kvasha and that gutless crew have long left the memory banks of some.

This team has been commended in recent times by some here for moving on from the mindset of the past...yet some of those same fans applauding the team clearly haven't moved on themselves.

No. It's not Snow's "job" to inquire about quitters, IMO.

Pursue individuals who possess skill + character. Only.
I don't want to turn this into a mud-slinging match, and there is no easy way to ask this without sounding accusatory, which is not my intention, but, "How much do you know?"

It seems like you know quite a bit about Filatov and his situation.

Maybe he is a quitter.
Maybe he is as you said/hinted at earlier, just a kid who might need a few hard knocks to set him straight when it comes to what he believes he is entitled to.
Maybe he'll come around if given a better situation.*
Again, how do you the behind the scenes dealings?

And, for Darth Milbury's sake, don't bring Kvasha into this.


*Could that be giving the 'baby' what he wants? Getting him out of Columbus? Possibly. Wouldn't he "win" at that stage. Possibly.

Again, not trying to turn this into...what is the PC term these days...a heated discussion.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
  #56
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post
I don't want to turn this into a mud-slinging match, and there is no easy way to ask this without sounding accusatory, which is not my intention, but, "How much do you know?"
Fair question.

I know as much as you know. And that is enough to know that since Filatov did not get what he wanted, when he wanted it, he took his puck and went home. Otherwise, he'd be on the CBJ roster or in the AHL. That's not a major assumption, it's pretty basic stuff.

Perhaps some don't mind players who quit after seven weeks, turn tail at the first hint of a challenge.

That's fine. Perhaps some think a 19 year old who is yet to earn regular NHL icetime should be given "better situations."

That's fine, too.

I could not disagree more.

BTW - No mudslinging taken...or given. Simply a friendly difference of opinion.


Last edited by Trottier: 11-19-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
  #57
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
If a player's character means nothing, indeed they should inquire about Filatov.

Who do you want in "the room"? - a skilled player who quits/disappears when the going gets the least bit rough? Apparently so. Apparently the hard, painful lessons of Yashin/Kvasha and that gutless crew have long left the memory banks of some.

This team has been commended in recent times by some here for moving on from the mindset of the past...yet some of those same fans applauding the team clearly haven't moved on themselves.

No. It's not Snow's "job" to inquire about quitters, IMO.

Pursue individuals who possess skill + character.
Only.
This.....

I want no part of Filitov, no reason to go after players that go running back home because they didn't get what they want, it's bad for the locker room.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:57 PM
  #58
bones21212
Registered User
 
bones21212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the underground
Country: United States
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
if he gets to play "his" game, and has even modest success in siberia, i dont think he will come back over here.

i dont want him or his attitude on long island anyway. i want players that ***** slap adversity, not run from it.


Last edited by bones21212: 11-20-2009 at 03:47 PM.
bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 03:54 AM
  #59
MikeyMike01*
Hurray
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Filatov-Tavares-Okposo would be amazing. Therefore, it shall not happen.

Besides, I don't think CBJ would give him up at a fair value, or that the Islanders would be willing to offer fair value.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 04:53 AM
  #60
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Filatov-Tavares-Okposo would be amazing. Therefore, it shall not happen.

Besides, I don't think CBJ would give him up at a fair value, or that the Islanders would be willing to offer fair value.
Yep, assuming Filatov is a player - a guy who eventually boxes his way into the league in an impact manner.

I've been saying this since draft day 2008, but Filatov HAS size and strength issues. They need not hold him back, but they must first be overcome.

If he now expects to be given a job, I don't care how many skills he has, that isn't and shouldn't be what the league is about.

As for Columbus, they have some purely skill players as is, so he's gotta give Hitchcock lots of good reason to put him on the ice instead of some other lesser-skilled, but more necessary players.

Personally, I don't "revel" in this situation (as in a "Snow was smarter to take Bailey" stance), but I'm glad we're now not in this situation ourselves.

And for our sakes, even if highly irrelevant for Filatov's situation, I'll continue to hope that Petrov eventually ends up being the better of the two.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 06:24 AM
  #61
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Fair question.

I know as much as you know. And that is enough to know that since Filatov did not get what he wanted, when he wanted it, he took his puck and went home. Otherwise, he'd be on the CBJ roster or in the AHL. That's not a major assumption, it's pretty basic stuff.

Perhaps some don't mind players who quit after seven weeks, turn tail at the first hint of a challenge.

That's fine. Perhaps some think a 19 year old who is yet to earn regular NHL icetime should be given "better situations."

That's fine, too.

I could not disagree more.

BTW - No mudslinging taken...or given. Simply a friendly difference of opinion.
Perhaps, as I said earlier, that the kid needs a few hard knocks. Maybe he just needs to mature a little bit more.


I know, I know. You can't run your life, let alone an NHL team on 'maybes'.

Still, a line of Hunter, Bailey, Filatov would be nice. (Granted one would have to switch to the opposite wing of what they are used to.)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
  #62
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,447
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
of course its worth looking into

I just dont see a fit that suits the jackets needs
That was a well-tailored response, especially for an off the cuff remark.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:24 PM
  #63
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
If I were the Islanders I'd go knocking with an offer of Jesse Joensuu, Jeff Tambellini and 2010 1st. Yes, a 1st. Then bring Filatov over and watch him blossom into a superstar w/ Bailey.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
  #64
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
If I were the Islanders I'd go knocking with an offer of Jesse Joensuu, Jeff Tambellini and 2010 1st. Yes, a 1st. Then bring Filatov over and watch him blossom into a superstar w/ Bailey.
Yeah, maybe the 1st they'll get when they trade Biron to the Hawks or Wings.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
  #65
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
If I were the Islanders I'd go knocking with an offer of Jesse Joensuu, Jeff Tambellini and 2010 1st. Yes, a 1st.
Well, yeah. That's the only thing in that package that has any value.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  #66
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Isles fans seem to have short.....VERY short memories.

All of this sounds as if Mike Milbury is still the GM of the team. Some of you are willing to give up an absolute TON to get Filatov...

Some facts to refresh our memories.

1) We passed on him. Pure and simple—we could have had him for "free" and said No!

2) The start to his career in North America has been iffy. Call me crazy but this is starting to smell like two familiar Islanders of old...Kvasha and Yashin. Do we really want to go down that road AGAIN!!!

3) Give up out 2010 first rounder—for a team that is rebuilding—are you all INSANE??? The only way I give up the first rounder is for a GUARANTEE! If Atlanta comes calling with Kovulchuk—maybe, but for Filatov who picked up his puck and went all the way home....nope. Sorry!!

4) It would take a heap of players—not just the pick. It would take either a de Haan, Ness, Bailey, Okposo, Tavares going back the other way. I dont know about anyone else—but EVERYONE of those guys is OFF LIMITS.

5) It makes me laugh to hear "Filatov is a better player than Bailey..." Hmmm...I don't know what the mesuring stick is for some fans, but for me, I rationalize things in a simple way. For starters, Filatov has ZERO impact in the NHL right now. Bailey is continuing to grow and mature and IS and NHL player. Filatov has proven that if he does not agree with the coach of his team, he walks away from his team. Bailey has proven that he is willing to learn, grow and be part of a team and do the things needed to get better. Is Bailey having a huge year—no. But he is all of what—19? 20? Give him a bit of time. I would rather have Bailey right now than Filatov—Bailey is an NHL hockey player—Filatov IS NOT! His stock has dropped big time for me with this behavior. Im not giving up PRIME assets for a cry baby....sorry.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:35 PM
  #67
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
a lot of what im going to say has been said here, but whatevs...
Nikita has tons of potential...and he could potentially be great...if he ever earns a spot in the league. GMs in this league are now taking the russian factor into very heavy consideration. all you have to do is look at former blue jacket, Nik Z. He pulled the same kind of stunt, and now he couldnt get a tryout in the nhl...as a 24 yr old full of talent.
Nikita is a 19 yr old kid, who doesnt want to earn his spot, but rather have it given to him. From most accounts, he hastn earned it in the AHL and/or camps at all, yet he is trying to call the shots. Whether its his agents fault or his own, this is something that wang and snow wouldnt put up with, nor would they want to deal with it.
I, for one, hope the isles dont even make the phone call. As a 19 yr old top 10 pick, the asking price will be high, but i smell a potential Radulov/zherdev situation where the kid with all the potential and physical skills wants to call the shots and use russia as a bargaining chip.(radulov was more of a bail on his team issue, but he still left at a young age and walked out on his contract).
the flipside is easy to explain. Nikita has great skill, speed and would compliment KO and JT...but thats the end of your argument.
This entire thing leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth. It looks like Filatov has no heart, isnt willing to earn his playing time and just wants things handed to him. Why would you think itd be different on the island?

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:50 PM
  #68
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
The guy could potentially bolt every time the going gets tough. Why would you want to give anything up for a potential headcase.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
  #69
JetsMetsIsles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,328
vCash: 500
why mess with our chemistry. Our O has been clicking especially our 1st line and now people want to break up Tavares and Moulson our 2 biggest scorers. Thats just being silly

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
  #70
thechosenisles57
 
thechosenisles57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Medford, NY
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
No Don't Do It Snow Please

thechosenisles57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
  #71
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
why mess with our chemistry. Our O has been clicking especially our 1st line and now people want to break up Tavares and Moulson our 2 biggest scorers. Thats just being silly
This is the biggest reason why this team should not make ANY moves. This team is clicking and clicking well, I remember Botta talking about the practice routine, there are no more questions about the system, everyone on board knows what their job is and how to execute it, bringing anybody in regardless of skill is going to hurt this team in the short run.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 06:16 PM
  #72
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post
Still, a line of Hunter, Bailey, Filatov would be nice.
Not now it wouldn't be, not if one follows why exactly Filatov sat on his ass in Columbus.

His name is nice. So was his draft position. So, too, are his highlight stick skills in lower leagues. And, of course, we have his adorable Date of Birth.

Those points, alone, are enough to impress some here on HF that a player is worthy of top-nine forward minutes in the NHL.

It's not how it works in the NHL, not among competitive teams, at least.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 06:53 PM
  #73
hgo
Registered User
 
hgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Don't trade this year's first, that will likely be spent on an impact defender. Our defense is in more dire straits than our offense at this point

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 08:48 AM
  #74
The Brazen Head
 
The Brazen Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
"Should the Isles get involved in bidding for Filatov?"

Well, if you acquire Filatov now, better find a coach who doesn't demand strong five on five play before he hands out icetime. Otherwise the quitter will quit on NYI, too.

Thankfully, seems like one has to earn icetime on Long Island these day (see: Tambellini, Comeau and Boy Rob). The days of Yashin, Chow, Kvasha and other one-way losers over. (Hence the "rebuild", even if a few fans don't appreciate that KEY point.)

One has little doubt (or at least hope) that Filatov will grow up and get it and become worthy of top six icetime someday in the NHL. One also does not doubt that no coach worth a dime will give it to him pbefore he demonstrates such. If he didn't have the patience beyond the first seven weeks of this season with Columbus, why would he have it on Long Island?

And why would a franchise seeking higher standards want to take on that risk and lack of character? You want people who take on challenges, not fecklessly walk away from them.

Get away from the niiice stats, the hiiiiiiighlights skills, and his Date of Birth...and you see a lack of spine. Some fans of this team clearly still pine for these types of exciting!, unreliable types. Not me. More important, not the coach. It's why Boy Rob sits and sits and sits....

Prediction: Filatov grows up and ultimately gets another shot in Columbus. Fans may dream otherwise, but franchises do not panic and feel obliged to trade players simply because their teenagers act like...teenagers. They instead invest, time money and patience in their development. Filatov at 23 hopefully will be a different person, a different player, than he is at 19.

This is not a player that a team like NYI need take on. And this is not a player whom the CBJ need move at this time. They'll let him enjoy his time in Siberia and see if he is NHL-worthy next year.

Sorry. I hate very few things. However, I do hate quitters, and those who believe that opportunity should be handed to them.
This and this:

I want 20 players that all do what the coach requires them to do and that all have one goal in mine.

That is why a player like Sim is in the lineup (although I don't necessarily agree with him getting PP time last night).

That is why NJ has been successful for the past few years or so.

The Brazen Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 10:46 AM
  #75
Bossy573
Registered User
 
Bossy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Seneca, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
His name is nice. So was his draft position. So, too, are his highlight stick skills in lower leagues. And, of course, we have his adorable Date of Birth.
Robert Nilsson.


Interesting question, interesting debate.

MHO is whenever you hear "player X doesn't like the system so......" red flags should be flying high. Still, the temptation is there simply because gifted offensive difference makers are naturally attractive to any team that plans on winning.

Would Filatov be a better risk than a mid-round draft pick in the 2010 draft? This poster would guess it might be worth a shot.

Bossy573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.