Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

AIK Stockholm to KHL?

Old
11-19-2009, 08:52 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
AIK Stockholm to KHL?

Just read this news and got a bit shocked. KHL and AIK signed an intent of participation agreement.

Here's a comment of the AIK President, Peter Mellqvist: "We are very happy that we have been invited to the KHL. I think joining KHL will move our club on new level and create a steady potential for the future development. AIK staff, players, and fans will have an opportunity to participate in the best hockey league played on big ice surface".

link(google translation)

Last edited by ViD: 11-19-2009 at 09:00 AM.
ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
joe89

vCash: 500
I'm watching the press conference. Doesn't look like a long shot at all listening to it. Personally, I wouldn't mind Swedish teams in the KHL.

This is an eye-opener for Swedish hockey seeing how hard it is to actually take the step from tier2 to SEL. The economic platform is too big a difference, and I can totally see why a team like Malmö filling a 12k arena would like to play in a bigger league too.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Den

I would hold my horses: there was an agreement of intent signed with Karlovy Vary too.....

PS: But if that does happen, it would be kick ass for me personally: out of a sudden the league moves to where I live, I'll be going to most games then.

Last edited by Den: 11-19-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

This will not end well.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
This will not end well.
Yes, as Metro wrote yesterday, "Russians are coming!" Boo!

Old
11-19-2009, 10:17 AM
zecke26

AIK to KHL? well, perfect. one problem less for swedish hockey.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Yes, as Metro wrote yesterday, "Russians are coming!" Boo!
"Oh, it must be the age old Swedish fear of the Russian, that I've read so much about."

Seriously, I have nothing against Russians I just hate the fact that AIK are pissing on their legacy and are joining the KHL because they can't get out of Allsvenskan. Call me a traditionalist if you like.

I also believe it will be very difficult for them to generate interest as a single Swedish club in the KHL playing against teams they have no relation to. The KHL will have to subsidize this bizarre experiment and how long will they want to if it doesn't work out?

Old
11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
ViD

Just checked the AIK fan site - Golden Hill, they got a vote "AIK to KHL?" where 70% has voted yes so far. That's pretty interesting and surprising.

Old
11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Just checked the AIK fan site - Golden Hill, they got a vote "AIK to KHL?" where 70% has voted yes so far. That's pretty interesting and surprising.
not surprising for me. I'm pretty sure Malmo and Leksand fans would vote the same.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Not surprising at all, it's pretty much the only way out for them now.

Also their fans are incredibly proud, not a surprise at all that they take it this way. I mean, they are after all "Sweden's best club and it's no surprise that the KHL asks us first".

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
ViD

Interview with AIK President:

Quote:
- AIK joining KHL next season is more than possible. We have signed not only letter of intent. Our and KHL ambitions are not limited with intentions only. We are sure we will reach needed outcome. The main thing right now is to make this letter of intent a real joining agreement.

- What needs to be done for that?

- There are three conditions. First, we need to keep working on club development so we can meet all the league requirements. Second thing is very important even though some people may find it rather funny - since AIK is a private club, we have to get confirmation from each club owner before we make any significant decision. AIK is a sport society which was created in 1891. The hockey section was started in 1921. Our owners - club members, current and former shareholders, there are 20 000 of them. It is up to them to decide whether we join KHL or not. We will hold a vote for that purpose. The club management has already said yes. I am pretty sure the voting won't be a problem. And finally, the third condition - we have to get a permission from IIHF and SIHF. KHL offered its assistance in this question.

- What's the team budget now and will the team have enough funds to play in the KHL?

- We will find the money without any problem. Right now while we are participating in allsvenska, we don't need a big budget. But when we join KHL, it will be as big as we need. An important detail: our letter of intent includes a point for collaboration in marketing area and Swedish TV rights. Because of that we will get a big revenue out of TV deal because the interest to this project is significant. Moreover, we will get a half of our budget from tickets. We fill our current arena which capacity is 8500 almost every game. And that's in second division! Imagine what is going to happen next year, when we move to Globen Arena. We are called the most popular hockey club in Sweden for a reason. Our fans are great.

Old
11-19-2009, 03:13 PM
1992LuckyTown

This will be interesting to follow we will see if it happens. I hope this changes Swedish hockey i would like to see at least 14 teams and direct promotion and regulation.

1992LuckyTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

"We are called the most popular hockey club in Sweden for a reason"

Yeah, that's what everyone calls you

Old
11-19-2009, 03:32 PM
KRM

"We are called the most popular hockey club in Sweden for a reason. Our fans are great."

Bhahah, omg.

Old
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
TIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
My thoughts exactly to be honest. Minus the sarcasm smiley!

"Black Army" are probably the worst fans in Sweden. It would be utterly delightful if they went someplace else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
not surprising for me. I'm pretty sure Malmo and Leksand fans would vote the same.
As a Leksand fan, no, I think Leksand "going rogue" to the KHL would be a terrible idea. I'd support my team wherever they go, but I wouldn't like it one bit. AIK might have given up on the SEL, but we haven't!

TIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
"We are called the most popular hockey club in Sweden for a reason. Our fans are great."

Bhahah, omg.
To be precise he said (at least in the Rus version) "They call us the most popular club in Sweden". And this you can't argue with

That I know: I had to spend sometime around Rasunda recently

Old
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
KRM

Also; "Moreover, we will get a half of our budget from tickets. We fill our current arena which capacity is 8500 almost every game. And that's in second division!"

AIK AVARAGE HOME ATTENDANCE SO FAR THIS SEASON... 2013

6500 people shy of 8500. Did they ask Antonio Flavio to do the math perhaps?

Old
11-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Antox

Quote:

Did they ask Antonio Flavio to do the math perhaps?
Dubblish. I say no more.

I'm not sure if this is the right way for us to go, but hey, we don't have much options. This is probably our only way out, and we have to give it a shot.

KIE: We love you to.

Antox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

This is a recipe for disaster. The salary floor for the KHL this year is 200 million rubles (USD $6.93M), which is more than the highest payroll in the Elitserien was at the start of the season. I would be shocked if AIK could wrangle up that kind of money for one year, let alone consistently.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Oslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
This is a recipe for disaster. The salary floor for the KHL this year is 200 million rubles (USD $6.93M), which is more than the highest payroll in the Elitserien was at the start of the season. I would be shocked if AIK could wrangle up that kind of money for one year, let alone consistently.
Source?

You know that the annual report doesnt tell the whole picture fore a swedish club?

Last edited by Oslo: 11-20-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Yabob

If it wasn't for the fact that the SEL teams signed an agreement to play the 10/11 season speculation would now be in full swing as to whether or not a Nordic/Swedish KHL division would be launched next Fall.

If such a division is launched in the future this could be a very good move by AIK, as that would mean that they get to play against the best Swedish teams again. And we are talking about a division where at least 80% of the games are played between Swedish teams (one of the terms from the Swedish side apparently).

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Den

So Mellqvist says they might be playing in Globen

I wonder if this is BS, or there is actually a way to schedule games in G less then 1 year ahead?

Another thing which many people underestimate is the number of Russians in Stockholm. Usually, there is a big presence in all Rus games in the LG games. I suspect if a part of them start showing up on a reg basis that should raise the attandence by a thousand or so

Old
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I think AIK has grown desperate. They've seen that in their current state they don't stand a good shot to be promoted in the next 5-6 years and think that they will get better help in the KHL....

They COULD possibly get more help if the KHL decides to use them as a propaganda case to get more western european teams to join.

AIK's biggest problem would be attracting attendance. Those who like other clubs don't just dislike AIK, most of them hate AIK because of AIKs fans.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
6500 people shy of 8500. Did they ask Antonio Flavio to do the math perhaps?
Actually.. Wade Belak stepped in.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote