HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Officiating in the NHL.

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 12:39 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Officiating in the NHL.

I was at the game. I don't care who won the game. Boston won. That s fine, they played as well as Montreal did. It is the way they scored that sickens me.
Why does the rulebook get thrown out in the 3rd period in the playoffs? Why is everything aloud in overtime? Royal rumble style? Every man for himself?

In the nba, they call fouls in the last 3 seconds of game 7. In the nfl they call pass interferences in the 4th quarter. In the majors, umpires TRY to always make right call -ball or strike- in the bottom of the 9th. In international hockey, refs try to call things according to the rulebook. In the ncaa the same.

But the nhl? ahl? chl? whl? ohl? qjmhl? tier 2? I dunno. I dont care that we lost. that s fine. but the way it hapenned... it s just wrong. Why do the refs choose to be so incompetent at the end of games? And why does the league accept it?

Because "the refs dont want to be the reason a game ended". Well in this case, they were a reason and they didn t do a thing. In the regular season, that would obviously would have been Called.

The situation needs to be addressed, but won t be. And that is why hockey is not a mainstream sport in the states and that is why the nhl is the 4th of the major leagues. The officiating in several north american hockey leagues is a joke. The players know it, the coaches know it, management knows it, the refs know it, the league knows it, the comissioner knows it. And yet it s been like this for as long as I have followed hockey. And it won t change.

And this just plain wrong.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:48 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Because "the refs dont want to be the reason a game ended". Well in this case, they were a reason and they didn t do a thing. In the regular season, that would obviously would have been Called.
Yes.

I've always said that notion is complete trash, because by choosing to NOT make the calls the refs are in fact deciding the outcome of games. It should not matter when a foul occurs....in the 1st period or in double OT.

Also the whole notion of having to 'even up the penalties' is retarded. You know, sometimes one team is just breaking more of the rules. Deal with it.

I had to quit officiating because of these old attitudes....I felt it was cheating the teams that were playing fair and working harder.

Try to explain why a penalty is not a penalty sometimes to a hockey novice...they laugh often.

Last edited by rye&ginger: 04-14-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Heater15

Boston Fan: Thanks Ref

Van Massenhoven/McGeough: Yea you're welcome, but I hope youre talking about the 8 other calls we missed in the 3rd period and both OT's, not just the slash by Green

Old
04-14-2004, 01:20 AM
rye&ginger

Van Massenhoven/McGeough
hah
Those are my 2 worst refs in the League. I didnt know it was that dynamic duo.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Grizzly Adams

please stop, you are embarassing yourself.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:55 AM
not quite yoda

HOW am I embarrassing myself? I have a point. I am not crying about the loss. It's the system that is flawed.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:59 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Many infractions occured by both the Habs and B's tonight in OT but only 1 was called, for those that didn't watch the game and might not know or those who have forgotten: Montreal got the only power play in overtime and they failed to score. A few minutes later the Bruins won the game. If Montreal's PP was better (1 for 19 in the series) they would have closed the Bruins out right then and there.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:10 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
It's a moot point if Kovalev doesn't "pull a Ribeiro". It looked like he got slashed in the pants - but I can't say for certain as I only saw it several times but never got a real nice view of it.

To say the reason the NHL isn't a "main-stream sport in the states" because penalties go uncalled is laughable. I like the fact that penalties go uncalled towards the end of the game and in overtime - the momentum gained from uninterrupted play is what makes overtime so special. It's better for the players (despite what Kovalev probably says now) as they get an opportunity to decide the game for themselves, it's better for the fans because uninterrupted overtime play is extremely exciting (and if anything, penalties going uncalled in overtime to help along the pace of the game is beneficial to new fans as they get treated to continuous fast pace action they don't normally don't get to see during the course of a 20 minute period), the only people who "letting the players play" is not beneficial is to the referees.

The saying that "penalties even out" is true, and when there's embellishment - it only serves to the referee's advantage to let things go. Montreal got a Murray holding penalty earlier in overtime, and for the sake of argument - supposing that Kovalev was slashed (it was borderline) the non-call was the even-up by the official.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:13 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

It should have been called, Kovalev seemed to be really distracted to just run into his defensemen like that.

McGoo has got to be the WORST ref in this league.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:37 AM
BCCHL inactive

Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps Mike Ribeiro's circus dance in Game 3 had anything to do with the non-call in overtime tonight?

Old
04-14-2004, 02:43 AM
Silver

Look, this is the way it's been for a long long long time.

We all know it. The fans, the coaches, the GMs, the refs, and most importantly, the players.

Kovalev made an absolutely stupid and incredibly selfish play, on a small tap to the part of the glove where there is the most padding. I'm having a lot of trouble feeling sorry for him, and I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Habs dressing room.

Methinks it may be a little uncomfortable in there for a few players tomorrow...

Old
04-14-2004, 05:47 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps Mike Ribeiro's circus dance in Game 3 had anything to do with the non-call in overtime tonight?
I dunno. But if that's the case, that would clearly demonstrate that the refs are corrupted to the bone. Which I already suspect to be true anyway.

In any event, none of what happened during this game was really surprising. We've known that officiating in the NHL is a joke (whatever the reasons are) for along time

Old
04-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
I was at the game. I don't care who won the game. Boston won. That s fine, they played as well as Montreal did. It is the way they scored that sickens me.
Why does the rulebook get thrown out in the 3rd period in the playoffs? Why is everything aloud in overtime? Royal rumble style? Every man for himself?

In the nba, they call fouls in the last 3 seconds of game 7. In the nfl they call pass interferences in the 4th quarter. In the majors, umpires TRY to always make right call -ball or strike- in the bottom of the 9th. In international hockey, refs try to call things according to the rulebook. In the ncaa the same.

But the nhl? ahl? chl? whl? ohl? qjmhl? tier 2? I dunno. I dont care that we lost. that s fine. but the way it hapenned... it s just wrong. Why do the refs choose to be so incompetent at the end of games? And why does the league accept it?

The situation needs to be addressed, but won t be. And that is why hockey is not a mainstream sport in the states and that is why the nhl is the 4th of the major leagues. The officiating in several north american hockey leagues is a joke. The players know it, the coaches know it, management knows it, the refs know it, the league knows it, the comissioner knows it. And yet it s been like this for as long as I have followed hockey. And it won t change.

Well when Ribero goes down to the icce to obviously draw a penalty, you are not doing yourself any favours with the ref.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:11 AM
pei_bruins

Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Quote:
Because "the refs dont want to be the reason a game ended". Well in this case, they were a reason and they didn t do a thing.
The refs were not the reason, Alexei Kovalev is the reason that the game ended. There were probably 30-40 slashes that were at least that hard throughout the game last night, and they didn't get called. The only difference with the Kovalev slash was that he acted like he was hurt. The refs can not react to the receiving players reaction, they have to judge whether it's a penalty based on the infraction itself. And the infraction itself was no worse than a lot of stuff that happened throughout the game (not just the 3rd and OT).

Old
04-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei_bruins
The refs were not the reason, Alexei Kovalev is the reason that the game ended. There were probably 30-40 slashes that were at least that hard throughout the game last night, and they didn't get called. The only difference with the Kovalev slash was that he acted like he was hurt. The refs can not react to the receiving players reaction, they have to judge whether it's a penalty based on the infraction itself. And the infraction itself was no worse than a lot of stuff that happened throughout the game (not just the 3rd and OT).
Exactly.

Even if Kovalev was actually hurt and not playacting (though it completely looked like he was overacting), he could've made some desperate play on the puck - shovel it to the boards, ice it, kick it, anything. If he were in front of either net, I'm sure he would've mustered some strength to make a play.

Instead he chose to put his head down, shake his hand repeatedly and grimace, and he inadvertently took his teammate out of the play in the process.

Even if he was hurt, it was a terrible play on his part.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:52 AM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepts
Exactly.

Even if Kovalev was actually hurt and not playacting (though it completely looked like he was overacting), he could've made some desperate play on the puck - shovel it to the boards, ice it, kick it, anything. If he were in front of either net, I'm sure he would've mustered some strength to make a play.
When he have decide to do something with the puck,
he have hit Souray
anyway this is suppose to be a penality

Old
04-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

I would just like to point out, that ref's do not blow in the final moments of international matches either.

What hockey should do, is traing Pierluigi Collina in the rules of hockey, and sign him for a multi-million dollar 20 year contract.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:11 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

can u explain all the other non calls in OT then???? or throughout the game?

I admit, it just might have been a factor, especially the fact that Kovy just stopped playing and embelished the whack, and especially considering montreal had just gotten the only power in over time, did he really think he was gonna by another one?

Old
04-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
I would just like to point out, that ref's do not blow in the final moments of international matches either.

What hockey should do, is traing Pierluigi Collina in the rules of hockey, and sign him for a multi-million dollar 20 year contract.
ah Pierluigi the golden boy of all refs.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
can u explain all the other non calls in OT then???? or throughout the game?

I admit, it just might have been a factor, especially the fact that Kovy just stopped playing and embelished the whack, and especially considering montreal had just gotten the only power in over time, did he really think he was gonna by another one?

The only penalty that for that matter prevent Kovalev for being in a 2-0 with Zednik on Raycroft... This was a call the ref could simply not overpass... So should have been the slash that result in a direct goal.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää

They could pait him up with Fraser so Kerry gets all the time to prepare his hair in the mirror.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:58 AM
ikovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
This was a call the ref could simply not overpass... So should have been the slash that result in a direct goal.
not really...many of these kinds of obstructions were "overpassed"... the game was pretty much uncalled in the third and most of the OTs. a few montreal players got high-sticked, few boston players got hooked, and blah blah blah.

if kovalev had a brain, he would have realized this and NOT STOPPED PLAYING WHEN THERE WAS NO WHISTLE.

yeah, i think the refs sucked at officiating the game, but it went both ways and as i said before, you can't just stop playing like that

...and sheldon souray agrees:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...me_on_kovalev/

Old
04-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
It should have been called, Kovalev seemed to be really distracted to just run into his defensemen like that.

McGoo has got to be the WORST ref in this league.
It should not have been called. But just for sake of an argument, lets say maybe the ref did miss the call. Kovalev needs to not ASSUME that a call is going to be made. He needs to either dump the puck to another part of the ice, or get the hell out of Sourays way. This was all Kovalev.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:33 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
Yes.

I've always said that notion is complete trash, because by choosing to NOT make the calls the refs are in fact deciding the outcome of games. It should not matter when a foul occurs....in the 1st period or in double OT.
how though? with no ref intervention, aren't the players left to decide who physically and emotionally wants it more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
that's not good game management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
The only penalty that for that matter prevent Kovalev for being in a 2-0 with Zednik on Raycroft... This was a call the ref could simply not overpass... So should have been the slash that result in a direct goal.
that's pretty pretty arguable, as kovalev is pretty much the reason the game ended. penalty or no penalty, he should have enough strength somewhere in his body outside his right hand to atleast move the puck to the boards, and then play with one hand on the stick until a whistle or he can get off...

kovalev is to blame

Old
04-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Your disappointment after last night's game is understandable, but your disgust, IMO, should be directed at the player, not the officials. You yourself talk about the whistle always being put away at a certain time in the game. Seems to me that you are implying (unintentionally) that there is a consistency there.

What's plain wrong, IMO, is a player not playing until a whistle is blown. What we saw last night in OT was a non-call that could be questioned, nothing more. What we also saw plainly was a selfish and bonehead play. Yes, might even be appropriate to get out the overused word "choke".

If I were Kovalev today, I'd be looking for a rock to hide under. From post-game quotes, seems like his coach and teammates would like to be hurling rocks at him.

To focus on the refs is too easy, IMO.

Closed Thread