HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Support For Kovalev!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Capitano

vCash: 500
To be honest, I'm also disappinted in Souray. He emerged as a leader on this team and he might be playing hurt but he has also cost us way too many goals this series so for him to blame Kovalev is just plain stupid.

I'm so depressed today...what an awful way to lose.

Cap

Old
04-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
I'm so depressed today...what an awful way to lose.
I was flamming mad last night! :mad:
I could'nt beleive it! they lost!

not if only i can concentrate to finish this damn report I have to do...

Old
04-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
i htink we should re-sign this guy know. he has shown that he can deliver when it counts. i think that if he can get a complete season under this system, that he will be more consistent. with all the youth on this team coming, we need an offensive leader. koivu is the captain so kovalev wouldnt have to be the leader at both ends. he would be like what mogilny is for the leafs.
I agree that Kovalev was one of our best last night (and in Game 3), but still...
no, I wouldn't re-sign him. Not unless he wants to be paid roughly half his current salary.

We're not so close to being Cup contenders that he puts us over the top, and if we dare to project some first-line wingers in the form of Kastitsyn or Perezhogin coming onboard within the next 5 years, then I don't think Kovalev is a priority. If we had buckets of money to throw around and there was no cap, maybe it's a different story. But I'll operate on the assumption that we don't have lots of money to spend, and so I think it can be more wisely spent. We need some more gritty size and leadership up front if we need anything there, but more importantly we need another good d-man.

I don't really see Bob Gainey wanting to invest long-haul in a guy who is a bit fragile or flakey in terms of confidence and character. And say what you will about Kovalev's talent, he is a bit of flake. I don't think he's a good fit in our hopes of building a contender. He's a good rental, but not a good franchise cornerstone. I'd shop elsewhere. Half the league will be free agents over the next 3 years. There'll be a lot of skill guys with better heart out there.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Malmsteen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
Every player should just point the finger at them selves for not winning. How many chances mists? it's unbelievable! They were leading 3-1 and they lost 4-3 and they all blame kovalev? yeah right!

I like Kovalev and hope he signs with montreal. He's an offensive superstar and he's wearing a habs jersey!!! When was the last time we had a superstar? Recchi? Lafleur? He has to stay in mtl!
He is very good offensive player when he wants to be and I'm not sure those days have not already passed. Its a sad day for "HOCKEY" when people consider a guy who has been in the league for 11 years and after ONE 95 point season (playing with Jagr-his next top season is 77) a "superstar".

Old
04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Dragon

Bottom line, we win with Theo and lose with Theo. Theodore is not at his best and there is no way we can win.

I am a big fan of Theodore but he and his 6 millions should take the largest share of the blame.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmsteen44
He is very good offensive player when he wants to be and I'm not sure those days have not already passed. Its a sad day for "HOCKEY" when people consider a guy who has been in the league for 11 years and after ONE 95 point season (playing with Jagr-his next top season is 77) a "superstar".
Its not just the numbers that count, its the way you play the game and how you dominate. Kovalev plays it very differently than a"ordinary" player and can dominate like he did in the last two games.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:20 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I love Kovalev too. Sure, maybe if he had to do the play again, he'd do it differently. Souray too probably. Anyways, what a player. That's been the most dominating line in Montreal in a long time. I really hope he resigns next year. That line should be able to produce a-la Naslund-Bertuzzi-Morrison.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:21 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I'm with you... I really hope he re-signs. But if his teammates and coach will turn their back on him, why should he?
He has definitely been Montreal's best player recently and I hope he re-signs as well.

Maybe the reaction of Julien and Souray is an indication of the level of intensity expected in Montreal. Souray in particular wears his heart on his sleeve and will say things in the heat of the moment.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and the matter will be resolved because it is obvious that Montreal fans love this guy.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmsteen44

Carrying the offensive load?? You surely must be joking???? He's a talented player who made a mistake that was HORRIFIC. Souray and Julien were exactly right on their calls and don't owe Kovalev anything. The Rangers got the best of this trade unless Kovalev resigns (doubtful) and plays with some passion and not a spoiled multi-millionaire (ala Jagr, Malakhov).

... Do I seem like I am joking? He has been the best skater on the ice for past two games.

I didn't even go to school today.. I couldn't get myself to wake up. Oh well, senior year..whatever.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
The habs need kovy since Z and Ryder aren't scoring. Without Kovy we wouldn't be here. He has played great the past couple of games

Old
04-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by furax
The important fact for me is that the Koivu line outplayed the Thornton line on every shift.....
But the bottom line is you lost. Kov has to be man enough to accept his share of the blame. It cound mean the series.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:20 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

after watching that game yesterday I'm glad you traded for him and not us.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:30 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

kovalev's a quitter

and just when you start showing faith in him with a good effort he pulls a brain cramp in double ot and costs the team the game

that was pretty funny to watch, you have to admit

but i really want the habs to win this series

Old
04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
after watching that game yesterday I'm glad you traded for him and not us.
Yeah, he'd be quite useless for you at this time of the year anyway, eh..

Old
04-14-2004, 11:35 AM
plafleur10

Look at it differently

If Theodore had done his job, picked up for his teammate, who had played a great game up to then, and stopped the puck, like Raycroft has done for his teammates who have not been playing so well all series long, we wouldn't be busy this morning bashing Kovalev.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

there's no excuse for it

Old
04-14-2004, 11:48 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
kovalev's a quitter

and just when you start showing faith in him with a good effort he pulls a brain cramp in double ot and costs the team the game

that was pretty funny to watch, you have to admit

but i really want the habs to win this series

No Kovalev = no OT = CH swept !!!

The ones I find disgusting are Souray and Theo, who both bash Kovalev.

Souray is the one to blame on Murray's goal, acting as if there was no danger by shipping the puck in his defensive zone, towards his own net. Then, he banged Kovalev and let the puck to Murray.....
Souray should have kept the puck between Kovalev and him, where no Bruin would have picked it before long seconds......more than the necessary time for Habs D-corps to get on position.

And Théo...... How can he blame Kovalev??? He's the one who gave the team a chance to win, it's not you Théo. You, you give the Bruins 2 chances to win per game!!!

Only Julien can blame Kovalev, and even that, I find it unfair......

Last edited by StanAjax: 04-14-2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old
04-14-2004, 11:49 AM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS

some guys said it best when they said there would even be a 5th game if it wasn't for kovalev..

he has picked it up in the playoffs for sure. the top line is buzzing constantly. there should be no single finger pointed at kovalev..it may sound cliche but we live and die as a team.

there are other guys on the team who haven't been as solid as they could be but no fingers get pointed..

it was a freak situation, let it go

i think they should be more concerned about the fact they were up 3-1 and lost...using kovalev as a goat is not going to do any favors for morality

Old
04-14-2004, 11:55 AM
All Star United

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
If Theodore had done his job, picked up for his teammate, who had played a great game up to then, and stopped the puck, like Raycroft has done for his teammates who have not been playing so well all series long, we wouldn't be busy this morning bashing Kovalev.
Couldn't have said it better!

Theo said he was ready to play. Was he ready yesterday? Absolutely not! Actually, this game was never supposed to go to overtime. First goal was a bad one. 2nd and 3rd could have been stopped as well. And the overtime goal... what a way to end a game! Murray was about 40 feet from Theo... I would have stopped it myself! Very bad goal.

With Garon, Montreal would be ahead 3 games to 1. But it seems like Julien cannot blame his lovely Jose. He is so fast to put Kovalev on the 4th line, but so slow to pull off his goalie, I'm wondering what he is thinking.

Anyway, I guess we lost the series and we lost the best player we had in years because it doesn't seem like Julien wants him back next year

Old
04-14-2004, 12:34 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
Yeah, he'd be quite useless for you at this time of the year anyway, eh..

look where he's leading your team, eh.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Malmsteen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Its not just the numbers that count, its the way you play the game and how you dominate. Kovalev plays it very differently than a"ordinary" player and can dominate like he did in the last two games.
I guess its depends on how you look at it. He may have been a force in the last two games, but in my opinion a "superstar" isn't invisible for the first two games of the series and I won't talk about the 12 games he played with the Habs.

He has way too much talent to not be a force (not necessarily scoring) in 9 of 10 games and I don't think his head is screwed on right.

I will FINALLY admit that the Habs do need some size up front and yes maybe even the word I can't stand (GRIT). Its not easy watching our guys trying to leap into the bigger Bruins.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
look where he's leading your team, eh.
He won game 3 almost all by himself and was by far our best player yesterday. That's where he led us. He was absolutly spectacular yesterday prior to his mistake. However, if had not been on the ice for us before that, we wouldn't even been in OT since we would have lost in regular time.

You should watch some Habs hockey or at least know what you are talking about before passing quick judgement which have no other purpose than convince yourself that you are better without Kovalev. As a matter of fact, Kovalev have made our team THAT MUCH better in the playoffs so far.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:05 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUTH OF HABS
i think they should be more concerned about the fact they were up 3-1 and lost...
Ahh...don't be.

B's Won
1) 3 or more games where they were 0 - 3 this year and tied 1 (against Devils with Stevens).

2) Won 10 games when they were 0 - 2

3) 20+ when they were 0 - 1.

I can't believe guys you are blaming Sheldon Souray! As far as I know he played 2001 - 2002 playoffs with really bad wrist and he is playing hurt now!!!

He knows how to play throu the pain and was probably disgusted with Kovalev act.

Jeez...my 12 years old plays thru harder slashes and hits.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Ahh...don't be.

B's Won
1) 3 or more games where they were 0 - 3 this year and tied 1 (against Devils with Stevens).

I can't believe guys you are blaming Sheldon Souray! As far as I know he played 2001 - 2002 playoffs with really bad wrist and he is playing hurt now!!!

He knows how to play throu the pain and was probably disgusted with Kovalev act.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Ahh...don't be.

B's Won

Closed Thread