HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn understands the Oilers, but do the players understand him?

Old
11-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

vCash: 500
Pat Quinn understands the Oilers, but do the players understand him?

Just listening to his post-game comments, Quinn comments on a variety of issues plaguing this team. I'll paraphrase some of them here.

On team speed:

Quinn acknowledges that the team has fast individuals, but that the team speed is not showing because players are hesitant to make a pass in favour of carrying it themselves. Says the team does have good puck carriers and that sometimes if a pass isn't there, the correct play is to carry the puck. But "8 times out of 10" a pass should have been made instead.

I really think Pat used the Chicago game to show this point. It hasn't gotten through to the players yet, though.

On Gilbert, defensive zone play and GA:

Quinn acknowledges Gilbert made some glaring mistakes but doesn't place the blame squarely on 77. Says at least 6 other defenseman aren't playing well in their own zone, not to mention at least 11 other forwards aren't supporting the defense - that's why the GA is so high. Says they'll continue to work on it and work on it until it gets better. Says the coaching staff have been on Gilbert to defend well now that the points aren't coming.

I hope Renney sees some of the issues as well and works to fix them.

On positive mentality, self-satisfaction and acceptance of defeat:

Quinn says the team needs to learn to do the small things right consistently, and then build upon those. Says the team is getting too self-satisfied with small victories and then not realizing there's still lots of work to do.

On the other hand, he also acknowledges they are not a mentally tough team. Says they get down too easily once a bad break occurs. Says they need to learn to bend but not break - that all NHL teams bend, but that the good ones don't break. Says they need to learn to presevere through bad luck. Gave an example of Gilbert mishandling the puck twice leading to GA, but that no one helped 77 out to cover for his mistakes. Says good teams cover for each other. Says the team accepts defeat too easily right now, needs to change mentality to be more even-keel.

I really enjoyed this part of his presser. It was quite enlightening to hear him dissect the woes of this team, and he couldn't be more accurate imo.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series

Last edited by Cloned: 11-19-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 700
I'd rather hear truth like this than having poorly played games suger coated.
the truth is refreshing.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 05:53 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
the truth is refreshing.
I'll second that.

Quinn holds these guys accountable. It's a refreshing change. I've really liked him and the new staff for the most part, other than the way Mac was handled.

Good thread for discussion Cloned.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 05:59 PM
hfboardsuser

My only complaint with Quinn so far is that he has yet to establish a sound system. I guess that'll come once he gets them playing as a team but it's frustrating to watch.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:10 PM
VincenzosOil

Insightful read. Like how he is not hanging Gilbert out to dry and sounds like he is trying to keep his confidence up.

Keep critiquing the wins. I like it.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
the truth is refreshing.
I'll thirdsy's on this. Too many times over MacT's tenure he would state something after a loss or win and "sugar coat" poor play or discipline. Every time I hear Quinn after a game, win or lose, gives me the confidence that he will change the losing attitude that has prevented this team from suceeding for too long!

Quinn is like that favorite Grampa who shines a light on a dark situation and you go away feeling like you can change the world

I love this guy!

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
OYLer

Putting the sweet tooth of truth on Tom Gilbert's soft cotton candied handling of forwards invading and controlling space in front of our net is, indeed, hard to do. Crust should begin in the Oilers defensive zone and then centifrugal outwards into the neutral zone and finally becoming invasive to dominate in the offensive zone.

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer View Post
Putting the sweet tooth of truth on Tom Gilbert's soft cotton candied handling of forwards invading and controlling space in front of our net is, indeed, hard to do. Crust should begin in the Oilers defensive zone and then centifrugal outwards into the neutral zone and finally becoming invasive to dominate in the offensive zone.
Well said...hopefully the Oilers players understand the science as well as you do!

Old
11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Tommy35

Well the coach knows best, nice to see that he is echoing my words from last nite on Gilbert. We luv to use Gilbert as the scapegoat here, I commented that there were at least 8 other players that are playing just as bad., well Quinn says a few more like 6 more DMen and 11 other Forwards.,

There's the answer to your statement, Jet228

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:36 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

It goes without saying the last dozen games have been as depressing as any stretch we went through last year. Quinn only seems to have them motivated fifty percent of the time, and that simply isn't enough. We have yet to reach that opening night intensity that we seen against the Flames if but a second.

With this team it always has been and always will be a problem with the players.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:37 PM
oilerfanatic

those who claim that the coaching change hasn't made a difference should look into this. quinn's team is developing a culture of accountability and we're finally getting the truth..

if mac-t were here he would make excuses, call out some player and then end off the interview with some quirky quote to get the media on his side..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
It goes without saying the last dozen games have been as depressing as any stretch we went through last year. Quinn only seems to have them motivated fifty percent of the time, and that simply isn't enough. We have yet to reach that opening night intensity that we seen against the Flames if but a second.

With this team it always has been and always will be a problem with the players.
I think Quinn will change the thinking of the non thinking players...over a little more time, I think.

Who wouldn't give their shirt off their back (and these hockey players have expensive shirts), to play for the guy after not throwing Gilbert under the bus?

Old
11-19-2009, 07:01 PM
oilersnyc

It's weird - during every postgame, Pat seems to pinpoint exactly what the problems were and, yes, taking all the injuries and lineup changes into account, it doesn't look like players are getting the messages to fix them.

I definitely think young guys like Brule, Reddox, etc respond better whereas the class of 2006 needs some kind of shakeup.

oilersnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

What I appreciate about Quinn's bluntness is that there are different targets depending upon the game results. The person or group gets the blame based upon that specific game or it is a culmination of a few games.

The target keeps changing depending upon the message he is sending. (I am patiently awaiting Moreau's turn...)

MacT had a different strategy after every game. It was "Nilsson and / or Penner isn't getting the job done". And if a reporter pointed out that Penner & Nilsson were both in the press box, the answer was that we lost due to unlucky bounces. Maybe not exactly but fairly close to accurate...

I prefer Quinn's style (or lack there of)...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
My only complaint with Quinn so far is that he has yet to establish a sound system.
Isnt that the DJ's responsibility?

Hahahahahahahah...yeah!

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Tree444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Isnt that the DJ's responsibility?

Hahahahahahahah...yeah!
HAHA, i didn't know what you were talking about until i read it again

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Soundwave

To be fair to Mac T (and I'm certainly not a Mac T supporter) ... he would say a lot of bang-on things last year after games too (ie: forwards not willing to go to tough areas of the ice to get goals).

Overall though the compete level of this team has been better consistently outside of that brutal flu stretch.

It's going to be on Tamby now to address the player personnel.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Stoneman89

Well to answer the OP's question, it would seem there is at least one guy that doesn't quite understand what Pat Quinn wants, so this offender spent some time collecting splinters on his behind last night to try and figure it out.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
What I appreciate about Quinn's bluntness is that there are different targets depending upon the game results. The person or group gets the blame based upon that specific game or it is a culmination of a few games.

The target keeps changing depending upon the message he is sending. (I am patiently awaiting Moreau's turn...)

MacT had a different strategy after every game. It was "Nilsson and / or Penner isn't getting the job done". And if a reporter pointed out that Penner & Nilsson were both in the press box, the answer was that we lost due to unlucky bounces. Maybe not exactly but fairly close to accurate...

I prefer Quinn's style (or lack there of)...
Bingo. He has no whipping boy, he calls it as he sees it, whether it be veterans, or rooks. Interesting that he cushioned the comments on Gilbert by spreading the blame. Not only that but he is straight to the point and specific. Looks like we have as good a coach as we could ask for. Now we need a gm that is on the same level.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Yanner39

Old habits are hard to break. Hopefully Quinn can reach these knuckleheads before it's too late.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bingo. He has no whipping boy, he calls it as he sees it, whether it be veterans, or rooks. Interesting that he cushioned the comments on Gilbert by spreading the blame. Not only that but he is straight to the point and specific. Looks like we have as good a coach as we could ask for. Now we need a gm that is on the same level.
In all fairness to our past coach (who shall remain unnamed...keeps the Trolls sleeping) he hasn't really had to endure an entire season of this yet. As an Oilers fan like many of you, I understand the meaning of the word: FRUSTRATION. I hope Quinn can hang in there and teach the boys something but I am beginning to believe the revolution will have to start with a major shake up in personel.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
In all fairness to our past coach (who shall remain unnamed...keeps the Trolls sleeping) he hasn't really had to endure an entire season of this yet. As an Oilers fan like many of you, I understand the meaning of the word: FRUSTRATION. I hope Quinn can hang in there and teach the boys something but I am beginning to believe the revolution will have to start with a major shake up in personel.
Who knew?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
To be fair to Mac T (and I'm certainly not a Mac T supporter) ... he would say a lot of bang-on things last year after games too (ie: forwards not willing to go to tough areas of the ice to get goals).

Overall though the compete level of this team has been better consistently outside of that brutal flu stretch.

It's going to be on Tamby now to address the player personnel.
I can see Quinn having some say in who was moved out. If I had to guess right now one or two of Cogliano, Gilbert, Nilsson, or Moreau would be on their way out for more grit.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Who knew?
You obviously?? How bout Smytty...still predicting that 100 point season, who would have predicted an older guy making 6 mil/per might have issues with injuries, thus making his resigning risky? Sarcasm icons aside, I don't think the problem is unfixable but we need some fresh leadership faces in the room.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
You obviously?? How bout Smytty...still predicting that 100 point season, who would have predicted an older guy making 6 mil/per might have issues with injuries, thus making his resigning risky? Sarcasm icons aside, I don't think the problem is unfixable but we need some fresh leadership faces in the room.
All I predicted for Smyth was 30-35 goals. Still sounds reasonable.

The Oilers need far more than "leadership faces".

They need skill, size, defensive ability and leadership.

An extreme makeover is still called for.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote