HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn understands the Oilers, but do the players understand him?

Old
11-20-2009, 03:42 AM
The Human Torch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
To be fair to Mac T (and I'm certainly not a Mac T supporter) ... he would say a lot of bang-on things last year after games too (ie: forwards not willing to go to tough areas of the ice to get goals).

Overall though the compete level of this team has been better consistently outside of that brutal flu stretch.

It's going to be on Tamby now to address the player personnel.
Hooray. We're boned.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 04:30 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 132
Figuring out the problen is easy

Finding the solution is hard

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:35 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Relax. I was responding to a comment.
Relax? I asked a simple question. You responded to a guy that was talking about the hockey this year and then talked about two games from last year.

I wonder if you realized what he was talking about or if I misunderstood. Heavins forbid I thought you might have made a simple mistake or that I was missing something.

If anyone needs to relax it is you. It was just a question, there was no intent to insult you.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 11-20-2009 at 09:16 AM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Well the coach knows best, nice to see that he is echoing my words from last nite on Gilbert. We luv to use Gilbert as the scapegoat here, I commented that there were at least 8 other players that are playing just as bad., well Quinn says a few more like 6 more DMen and 11 other Forwards.,

There's the answer to your statement, Jet228
The fact remains that Gilbert is not a kid, he is being paid over 4 mil a season to be a top 4 defender on this team. Regardless of whether it's 'all' Gilbert's fault for his poor play, his complete and utter lack of physicality lies squarely on his rounded shoulders.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
hockeyaddict101

I really don't care if Gilbert gets more physical though it certainly would add to his game. Lubo is not that physical but he is excellent because his positioning is excellent, he can make the simple play when need be, makes a great pass out of his zone, shoots the puck very well, skates well etc, etc.

That should be Gilberts game. He was doing things last year (I am not saying he was as good as Lubo before he got injured)

Simply put, he has many of the same skill sets and needs to use them. If he can get back to how he was playing last year then the softness won't be as much of an issue.

If he adds a physical element that would be ideal but at this point I would just be happy if he could get back to doing the things he was doing well last year.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:40 AM
theranfordflop

I'd certainly rather see Gilbert add a physical element to his game, than seem him add another LCD TV in his rec room.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
How many goals did Chicago let in the year before they went to round 3! Look it up. Tell me where they ranked defensively? Where did they finish in the standings? The difference was that they started to score goals! They were the ultimate in mediocre but had improved in the goal scoring categories. Like all young teams that have talented youth, they had to learn to play defence.

The Oilers despite all their injuries are 5th in goal scoring, they are starting to get secondary offence from players like Gilbert Brule, only 22, O'Sullivan, only 24. The goal scoring is improving but the defence is mediocre just like most if not all young teams on the rise!

It won't happen overnight but the offensive signs are there just like they are for all young and talented teams that are on the rise.
The Oilers are not the Chicago Blackhawks...not even close. The Blackhawks are blessed with several elite forwards, the Oilers have none unless Hemsky steps up.
The Hawks are also considerably younger than the Oilers.

The Oilers are not 5th in goal scoring...they're 14th in G/G unless you think every game the opposition has in hand will be a scoreless tie.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I really don't care if Gilbert gets more physical though it certainly would add to his game. Lubo is not that physical but he is excellent because his positioning is excellent, he can make the simple play when need be, makes a great pass out of his zone, shoots the puck very well, skates well etc, etc.

That should be Gilberts game. He was doing things last year (I am not saying he was as good as Lubo before he got injured)

Simply put, he has many of the same skill sets and needs to use them. If he can get back to how he was playing last year then the softness won't be as much of an issue.

If he adds a physical element that would be ideal but at this point I would just be happy if he could get back to doing the things he was doing well last year.
If you watch lubo however, you will see he does play physical. Not in a punishing way but he uses his body very effectively. Gilbert is a big ma. That gets pushed around like a raggedy ann doll. He doesn't have the skill to compensate for that.

Does anyone think at this point gilbert plays for usa in vancouver?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
What's old is new again. These are all issues that have lurked in this team's personnel for some time. It is the maddening inconsistency and complacency that sneaks in. They get satisfied and comfortable. I cut the kids some slack as they find their way in the Show and will go through ups and downs. But the veteran cast is rather erratic. Faceoffs have been pathetic and an achille's heel. The Oil are getting healthy and hopefully will string some wins together and build confidence. But I believe this roster needs to be changed.

Speaking of young teams, I just saw the Hawks completely dominate the Flamers at home. Now that was a thing of beauty to see young skill players with high end skill, hockey intelligence, and finishing abilities. I wish the Oil would put a full court press to get Patrick Sharp!

Completely Agree, Sharp is EXACTLY what this team needs and is my favorite out of all the young Chicago studs outside of Keith.....He's big, fast, can finish well, he's also a beast PKer Perfect fit for this team and would complement our youngins (Samwise especially) very well. Now that it looks like Chicago will sign Toews, Kane and Keith to long term extensions, this would be an ideal time to make a pitch for Sharp, do it Tambo.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:18 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
The Oilers are not the Chicago Blackhawks...not even close. The Blackhawks are blessed with several elite forwards, the Oilers have none unless Hemsky steps up.The Hawks are also considerably younger than the Oilers.

The Oilers are not 5th in goal scoring...they're 14th in G/G unless you think every game the opposition has in hand will be a scoreless tie.
Exactly, i don't know how anybody can make any comparison between the Hawks and Oilers at this point (use the game earlier this year for reference) Hopefully one of or both MPS and Eberle can be that elite player for us, they're both on the right track (fingers crossed)

Old
11-20-2009, 10:21 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Completely Agree, Sharp is EXACTLY what this team needs and is my favorite out of all the young Chicago studs outside of Keith.....He's big, fast, can finish well, he's also a beast PKer Perfect fit for this team and would complement our youngins (Samwise especially) very well. Now that it looks like Chicago will sign Toews, Kane and Keith to long term extensions, this would be an ideal time to make a pitch for Sharp, do it Tambo.
What do you think the Oilers would be able to offer Chicago?

I'm thinking Eberle would have to be a part of that conversation.

And please don't include Nilsson, Staios, Moreau or Gilbert in your answer.

Hawks don't need em.

Old
11-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Are you kidding? These are the Oilers' hottest commodities. Why do you think they are always included in trade proposals around here.

In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see what happens with the Hawks. Not that I feel bad for them. I'm not a big fan of team that stink for years and amass high draft picks (hello Pittsburgh). If the big three sign the contracts they are rumoured to sign, along with Hossa, someone has to go. Huet will most likely find himself in the minors. Sharp seems like a likely candidate and I don't see how Chicago would be in a position of strength to deal him.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:49 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:

Hawks don't need em.

Ok, i won't include them How about Horcoff and Pisani for Sharp
Nah but seriously, i hate to say it because i love Eberle, i really think that he will be a good first line NHL player but i would consider including him in a deal for Sharp or how about Cogliano and Grebs or something like that

Old
11-20-2009, 10:54 AM
copperandblue

Quote:

Hawks don't need em.
Would Cogliano get it done?

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Ok, i won't include them How about Horcoff and Pisani for Sharp
Nah but seriously, i hate to say it because i love Eberle, i really think that he will be a good first line NHL player but i would consider including him in a deal for Sharp or how about Cogliano and Grebs or something like that
Chicago has cap issues (although I think they'll try and find a home for Campbell) so any player they take back pretty much would have to be on an entry level contract. That would preclude Gilbert who is overpaid and his skills are far surpassed by a few Chicago defensemen.

Cogliano might attract some interest but I can't see where he would fit in the Hawks lineup.

To be honest, I don't think the Oilers have anything on the roster the Hawks need.

Old
11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Figuring out the problen is easy

Finding the solution is hard
me I think Quinn can bring the solution, problem is when you're trying to change the mindset like that it can take quite some time, so give the guy the time he needs. There's already been some noticable changes in the way this team approaches things, let's see how the rest of the season unfolds.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Chicago has cap issues (although I think they'll try and find a home for Campbell) so any player they take back pretty much would have to be on an entry level contract. That would preclude Gilbert who is overpaid and his skills are far surpassed by a few Chicago defensemen.

Cogliano might attract some interest but I can't see where he would fit in the Hawks lineup.

To be honest, I don't think the Oilers have anything on the roster the Hawks need.
Do the Hawks really NEED anything? They seem like a pretty complete team to me so i don't think that they'll be asking for a big return for Sharp and since they might need to trade him to crawl out from salary cap hell, he could probably be had for cheaper than people think. As far as Cogliano is concerned, i believe that there would be a good amount of interest for him because he comes at a cheap price, has a very good upside (it's difficult to play with guys like Moreau most of the year) and he won't be getting a huge raise because of his lack of offensive numbers this year.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
copperandblue

Quote:

Well if they are moving Sharp then he plays in Sharp's spot.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:16 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Would Cogliano get it done?
I doubt it. I don't think he even makes the Hawks roster.

Centres are Toews, Madden, Bolland, Ebett and Fraser.

Maybe as a winger but he would have some pretty stiff competition.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=16

Old
11-20-2009, 11:17 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Well if they are moving Sharp then he plays in Sharp's spot.
Hossa will be playing in that spot.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

The last thing the Oilers need to be doing is dealing high picks and their most promising prospects. That is what sends team into years of wandering in the wilderness. Patience is the key here.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The last thing the Oilers need to be doing is dealing high picks and their most promising prospects. That is what sends team into years of wandering in the wilderness. Patience is the key here.
Even if it meant getting Sharp? Are you sure about that IATL?

Edit: I see that you answered this question already

Old
11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Do the Hawks really NEED anything? They seem like a pretty complete team to me so i don't think that they'll be asking for a big return for Sharp and since they might need to trade him to crawl out from salary cap hell, he could probably be had for cheaper than people think. As far as Cogliano is concerned, i believe that there would be a good amount of interest for him because he comes at a cheap price, has a very good upside (it's difficult to play with guys like Moreau most of the year) and he won't be getting a huge raise because of his lack of offensive numbers this year.
They would want blue chip prospects and high picks. Sharp will go to a team like Philly. Unless you think it is a good idea to part with Eberle and or MPS + high draft picks for a player in their mid to late twenties. Short term gain for long term pain is what that would be for us.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
I doubt it. I don't think he even makes the Hawks roster.

Centres are Toews, Madden, Bolland, Ebett and Fraser.

Maybe as a winger but he would have some pretty stiff competition.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=16
Sorry but Cogliano would make their team, he won't be playing with the Ethan Moreau's of the world on that team

Old
11-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Even if it meant getting Sharp? Are you sure about that IATL?
100%. And I am a huge Sharp fan.